Options

I used to watch it all the time, but back then it was called [Japanimation]

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bad Kitty wrote: »
    Has there ever been a game->anime adaptation that was actually any good? I'm blanking right now

Onwards to the recommendations!

Fantasy: Twelve Kingdoms/Juuni Kokki: Based on a series of books. Girl gets sent to alternate ancient Chinese fantasy world.
    Supernatural: Mushishi: Beautiful and poignant.
    Fighting: Airmaster: Former gymnast turns street fighter. Hilarious and mercifully short at 27 eps.
    Sports: KaleidoStar: Animated Cirque du Soleil. Strangely compelling.
    Slice-of-life: Honey & Clover: College life in an art school. Heartbreak and angst hit a little close to home sometimes.
    Magical Girl: Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena): Surreal fairy-tale-inspired dueling anime by the director of Sailor Moon. Yuri, yaoi, incest, statutory rape. People turn into cars in the movie.
    Epic Space Opera: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Benevolent tyrant vs corrupt democracy. Space Germans try to take over the galaxy.
    Romance (manga): Mars: Rebel guy + shy girl. The best example of this traditional pairing. Adorable.
    Post-apocalyptic slice-of-life (manga): Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (Cafe Alpha): Android runs a coffee shop. Time goes on.

.hack//sign
    Lots of visual novels.
    Star Ocean
    Gungrave
    Tales of X
    Nanoha (which was a spin-off from the Triangle Heart games)

Then there are adaptations that are merely mediocre

Blue Dragon
    Disgaea
    Megaman
    Monster Ranger
    Pokemon

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I'm talking about the stuff towards the end, duder.
    the conflict between going back to the Digital World to help the others or staying with his sister.

And I'm saying that's not character development. You already know what he's going to decide, and more importantly a single instances of internal conflict does not magically result in character development.

Character development requires that a character change over time, amongst other things.

Umm, taichi does change over time.
    What about back in the Etemon arc when he was acting Jerkass-ish just because he first wanted Agumon to evolve to Perfect right away, and then, just because Koushirou said that their existance in the Digital World are just "Digital Copies of themself." Taichi then went to assume he couldn't die, which lead to problems. By this episode, he's actually matured quite a bit. and then again in the Dark Masters stuff when Hikari gets sick.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Stop it. You will not do this. You will not debate character development as it occurred over the first season of Digimon (Digital Monsters[Digimon are the Champions]).

There are some depths to which one's dignity cannot sink without irrevocable damage.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Stop it. You will not do this. You will not debate character development as it occurred over the first season of Digimon (Digital Monsters[Digimon are the Champions]).

There are some depths to which one's dignity cannot sink without irrevocable damage.
    Except the original version is a really good anime. especially the movies. Bokura no War Game to me is right up there with Macross DYRL.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Except the original version is a really good anime. especially the movies. Bokura no War Game to me is right up there with Macross DYRL.

I don't think you grasped the essence of his post.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Has there ever been a game->anime adaptation that was actually any good? I'm blanking right now

Think I've heard good things about the Tales of Symphonia OVA. Also, Spice and Wolf airing in Summer.

Tales of the Abyss has also been fairly good, from what I hear.

Though I haven't followed it too closely since I replayed the game not too long before it aired.

Slicer on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Think I've heard good things about the Tales of Symphonia OVA. Also, Spice and Wolf airing in Summer.

Um... I am pretty sure Spice and Wolf is light-novel based.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Recommendations, go!

Comedy: Potemayo. About a little moe blob creature suddenly entering the life of a somewhat stoic school kid, and the wacky hijinks that ensue. It's humor is more silly than rib splitting, but it's a nice relaxing amusing show, with no grand plot line and a somewhat slice of life pacing.

Romantic comedy: Ouran High School Host Club. Poor kid in a rich school, a knocked over vase leading to indentured service, and a cast of fairly eccentric characters. Wacky hijinks ensue.

Slice of life/school life: Juice mentioned it when he kicked off the recommendation listing, but I want to second Sketchbook Full Colors. It's just a nice happy nifty quirky show. Gets a little wacky at times, but mostly low key hijinks ensued.

Economics drama: Spice and Wolf. Merchant means wolf girl, and they travel together while he plies his trade, occasionally running into trouble. A little action, a little comedy, more than a little drama. Most of the show is just people talking, but the characters are likable, so things don't get dragged down by it.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Recommendations, go!

Comedy: Potemayo. About a little moe blob creature suddenly entering the life of a somewhat stoic school kid, and the wacky hijinks that ensue. It's humor is more silly than rib splitting, but it's a nice relaxing amusing show, with no grand plot line and a somewhat slice of life pacing.

Romantic comedy: Ouran High School Host Club. Poor kid in a rich school, a knocked over vase leading to indentured service, and a cast of fairly eccentric characters. Wacky hijinks ensue.

Slice of life/school life: Juice mentioned it when he kicked off the recommendation listing, but I want to second Sketchbook Full Colors. It's just a nice happy nifty quirky. Gets a little wacky at times, but mostly low key hijinks ensued.

Economics drama: Spice and Wolf. Merchant means wolf girl, and they travel together while he plies his trade, occasionally running into trouble. A little action, a little comedy, more than a little drama. Most of the show is just people talking, but the characters are likable, so things don't get dragged down by it.

I just want more people to see Kemonozume.

I guess it would qualify as a cross between action of Black Lagoon's caliber with a sort of light love story, but the last few episodes (it's a 13-ep series) get so wonderfully batshit thanks to the antagonist.

Rust on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Comedy: Azumanga Daioh. The only straight comedy Japan has ever produced that is funny to anyone outside Japan.

Action: Black Lagoon. This show is so fucking hardcore it broke someone's nose just from watching a youtube clip of it. Pussies need not apply.

Robot: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Just fucking watch it, goddamn it.

BEST EVER: Baccano! There is a link in my sig to watch the first two episodes of the Baccano! dub. You should click on it, watch them, and then buy the DVDs.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    the conflict between going back to the Digital World to help the others or staying with his sister.

And I'm saying that's not character development. You already know what he's going to decide, and more importantly a single instances of internal conflict does not magically result in character development.

Character development requires that a character change over time, amongst other things.

What about back in the Etemon arc when he was acting Jerkass-ish just because he first wanted Agumon to evolve to Perfect right away, and then, just because Koushirou said that their existance in the Digital World are just "Digital Copies of themself." Taichi then went to assume he couldn't die, which lead to problems. By this episode, he's actually matured quite a bit. and then again in the Dark Masters stuff when Hikari gets sick.

Each of those was basically just a single episode which were not based on anything previous and were basically never mentioned again. In other words, typical MOTW bullshit.

EDIT: Also neither "wanted Agumon to evolve to Perfect right away" nor "assume he couldn't die" are character traits. In fact, he never stops being rash and impulsive.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That's what I thought as well.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Each of those was basically just a single episode which were not based on anything previous and were basically never mentioned again. In other words, typical MOTW bullshit.
    SO what if there are explicitly never explicitly mentioned again, you do see the characters mature and grow, still. why do you have to constantly remember everything that's happened up to that point to understand a story. that's REALLY bad structure. Episodic shows will allways be better than linked storytelling that confuses the viewer. Star Trek and other episodic Sci-Fi are better than stuff like Battlestar Galatica purely for this reason.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    OLDER THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE WATCHED YET BUT SHOULD

Samurai Champloo. I never hear anyone talk about it but it's just as good as Cowboy Bebop and everyone who liked that should watch it. I don't care that you don't like hiphop, just watch it. Christ.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It's slow, thoughtful, occasionally philosophical, subdued, rarely funny, and has maybe one action sequences per episode, if that. And yet it's one of the best television series I've ever watched. Both series are on Netflix Instant, so watch it and see if it tickles your fancy as much as it does mine.

Big O. Basically it's Batman except instead of dressing up as a bat he climbs into a giant robot. This show is engineered from the ground up to be the coolest thing since sliced bread and it succeeds on a huge level.

G Gundam. THIS HAND OF MINE IS BURNING RED! IT'S LOUD ROAR TELLS ME TO GRASP VICTORY!

Seriously though if giant robots kung fu fighting makes you happy in any way, you should watch G Gundam.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That's what I thought as well.

I was just mentioning that as a note. Thought I saw it on the spring preview, I clearly am blind.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

SO what if there are explicitly never explicitly mentioned again, you do see the characters mature and grow, still.

Neither "wanted Agumon to evolve to Perfect right away" nor "assume he couldn't die" are character traits. In fact, he never stops being rash and impulsive.
    why do you have to constantly remember everything that's happened up to that point to understand a story.

Because otherwise it's not a story. Do you complain that you can't understand a book if you start reading halfway through? Hell no.

A story is by definition a series of events in a particuler order that come together to form a whole.
    that's REALLY bad structure.

No. It is really great structure, because it allows you to present stories in a visual medium of length greater then what can be watched in a single sitting.
    Episodic shows will allways be better than linked storytelling that confuses the viewer.

Episodic shows will always be inferior because they can never be anything but short stories to a proper shows novel or even epic. They can't even be good short stories, like what OVAs like FLCL are, but are instead confined to being the trashy romance novelette of anime.
    Star Trek and other episodic Sci-Fi are better than stuff like Battlestar Galatica purely for this reason.

Only delusional Trekkies would claim that Star Trek is better than (new) Battlestar Galactica.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, the First Squad trailer on the first page reminded me, anyone know if Cencoroll is ever going to get off the ground or something? Trailer for people who don't know:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9GtU3xwLBQ&fmt=18

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hey now, let's not completely trash episodic shows. They can still be good. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo come to mind...

Come to think of it, I can't think of too many good episodic shows I've seen that aren't comedies besides those.

Slicer on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Episodic shows will allways be better than linked storytelling that confuses the viewer.
    You understand that's your opinion, right? One of the reasons why I started watching/enjoying anime was because back then mosts US shows were closer to eposodic and anime was closer to linked. It's cool to say "I like eposodic and think it will always be better than linked shows because linked shows generally confuse me." No issue with that point of view, and I completely understand it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Hey now, let's not completely trash episodic shows. They can still be good. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo come to mind...

Come to think of it, I can't think of too many good episodic shows I've seen that aren't comedies besides those.

We both know that Cowboy Bebop is not the sort of thing Clawshrimpy means when he says Episodic show.

In fact, I bet Cowboy Bebop had too much plot and was too confusing for him.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

So, visual novels don't count as games? There is a lot of passable stuff that was originally visual novels.

Some of the .hack stuff is... Ok, there are a lot of people who like various .hack series.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

We both know that Cowboy Bebop is not the sort of thing Clawshrimpy means when he says Episodic show.

In fact, I bet Cowboy Bebop had too much plot and was too confusing for him.

Fair enough.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I mean, look at Worf throught Trek TNG and DS9. sure, the episodic nature limited his developement somewhat, but to say he didn't grow as a character is stupid.

It's the same way with Episodic and Monster of the Week anime.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    .hack isn't an adaptation. It's a collaboration. Made at the same time with that purpose of being made at the same time.

Air, Kannon, and Clannad are game->anime I liked.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I mean, look at Worf throught Trek TNG and DS9. sure, the episodic nature limited his developement somewhat, but to say he didn't grow as a character is stupid.

I have seen enough of ST:TNG to say with some certainty that Worf had the exact same character conflict at least a half dozen times.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

This is not the same

Next Generation did episodic very well

Very few anime do

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought Fate/Stay Night was good, though I know I'll get shouted down for that one.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I have seen enough of ST:TNG to say with some certainty that Worf had the exact same character conflict at least a half dozen times.
    Well he IS a Klingon.

Perhaps Sisko might be a better example? Sisko had a lot of great developement throughout DS9. Fuck, even Quark and Rom get some good moments of it. DS9 is physical proof that you should not knock on anything episodic for having "inferior story"

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I thought Fate/Stay Night was good, though I know I'll get shouted down for that one.

I enjoyed it too!

Though I didn't even know it was based on a visual novel when I started watching, so I didn't have that to compare it to.

Slicer on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

It was alright by my opinion though it certainly could of used better animation for the action sequences at times.

Joule on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Air was pretty decent.
    I enjoyed Fate/Stay Night.
    Dizzen wrote: »

It's really quite good. Guchuko is great.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Joule wrote: »

It was alright by my opinion though it certainly could of used better animation for the the action sequences at times.

I thought they were alright. Watching the teacher dude beat down Shiro with his bare fists was entertaining.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well he IS a Klingon.

Perhaps Sisko might be a better example? Sisko had a lot of great developement throughout DS9. Fuck, even Quark and Rom get some good moments of it. DS9 is physical proof that you should not knock on anything episodic for having "inferior story"

DS9 is the least episodic Star Trek. It is also the one with the best story, or so I hear. Hm, I wonder if there might be a connection between these two things?

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well he IS a Klingon.

DS9 is the least episodic Star Trek. It is also the one with the best story, or so I hear. Hm, I wonder if there might be a connection between these two things?
    It's still Episodic, and it never calls on you to remember details to understand what's going on in any given episode. BSG for example is really terrible about that.

Episodic anime is really great, too. there is a reason I find GaoGaiGar to be superior to Gurren Lagann in every respect.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Joule wrote: »

It was alright by my opinion though it certainly could of used better animation for the the action sequences at times.

I thought they were alright. Watching the teacher dude beat down Shiro with his bare fists was entertaining.

It certainly wasn't bad but I was hoping for more speed in the action such as in the Saber/Assassin fight.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm sort of at a loss as to how a show asking you to remember a thing is a downside.

Rust on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, the First Squad trailer on the first page reminded me, anyone know if Cencoroll is ever going to get off the ground or something? Trailer for people who don't know:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9GtU3xwLBQ&fmt=18

From what I gather it was more of a test animation than something that's definitely getting made. Love that trailer, though. If you go to the production company's Youtube channel they have several interesting trailers.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm sort of at a loss as to how a show asking you to remember a thing is a downside.

It's discrimination towards people with poor short term memory, obviously! :wink:

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am debating whether to bring this to the attention of the BSG thread.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's still Episodic, and it never calls on you to remember details to understand what's going on in any given episode. BSG for example is really terrible about that.

The worst episodes of Battlestar Galactica are the stand-alone episodes. Oh snap.

DarkPrimus on
This discussion has been closed.