As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jenny McCarthy is still a moron

Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplaceShe crawled right inRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Social Entropy++
So Jenny McCarthy and her boytoy are going to be on Larry King tonight, spewing their stupid anti-vaccine horse shit, presumably unchallenged by silly things like facts or science or logic.

I wanted to just post this in Druhim's old thread about the subject but he had to go and get it locked. For those of you unfamiliar with the subject, here's a Wikipedia summary that I didn't fact check.
In May 2007, McCarthy announced that her son was diagnosed with autism in 2005. The disorder of McCarthy's son began with seizures and his improvement occurred after the seizures were treated; these symptoms are more consistent with Landau-Kleffner syndrome, which often is misdiagnosed as autism. McCarthy served as a spokesperson for Talk About Curing Autism (TACA) from June 2007 until October 2008. She participated in fundraisers, online chats, and other activities for the non-profit organization to help families affected by autism spectrum disorders. Her first fundraiser for TACA, Ante Up for Autism, was held on October 20, 2007, in Irvine, California. Before claiming that her son's supposed autism was caused by vaccination, McCarthy wrote that he was a "crystal child" and she an "indigo mom".

McCarthy's book on the subject, Louder than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism was published September 17, 2007. She has stated both in her book and during her appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show that her husband was unable to deal with their son's autism, which led to their divorce. She added that her relationship with Jim Carrey has made it easier on her and that finding someone who loves her and her son is great. McCarthy also told Oprah Winfrey that her son was developing normally until he received his measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine (at 15 months of age) and claimed that they were the cause. McCarthy's claims on television that vaccines cause autism, despite being unsupported by the medical evidence, have contributed to parental concerns about a possible link; parental concerns have led to decreased immunization rates and increased incidence of measles, a highly contagious and sometimes deadly disease. McCarthy has stated at many talk shows and rallies that chelation therapy helped her son recover from autism; the underlying rationale for chelation, which is that mercury in vaccines causes autism, has been roundly rejected by scientific studies, with the National Institute of Mental Health concluding that autistic children are unlikely to receive any benefit to balance the risks of cognitive and emotional problems posed by the chelating agents used in the treatment.
Anybody else gonna tune in for this? I figure it'll be good for a few bitter laughs, if nothing else.

Clint Eastwood on

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jenny McCarthy should just do what she's good at. Show some tits and ass, make funny faces, and then go away. Her tired shit about vaccines = autism has been disproved long before she became a mouthpiece for it.

Hunter on
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    what the hell does jim carrey have to do with this?

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cymoro wrote: »
    what the hell does jim carrey have to do with this?
    they aren't married but they might as well be.

Clint Eastwood on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    it would be nice if King tore into her for being so fucking stupid, but he doesn't have the balls

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    it would be nice if King tore into her for being so fucking stupid, but he doesn't have the balls

Man, I bet King has REALLY saggy balls

I mean, that's what happens when you get old, right?

Evander on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    my mom believes the MMR vaccine is the reason my brother is autistic

so, yeah, I'll try to catch this at some point

Charles Kinbote on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Vaccines cause AIDS.

Bloods End on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Your mom is probably wrong.

I'm sure you realize that but I felt it was worth repeating.

Clint Eastwood on
  • AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There was an article on CNN yesterday about parents with 3 autistic kids.

Not to be one of those people.. but after the second one, do you really want to risk having another kid screaming at birds and running into busy streets because he likes cars?

Astraphobia on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Once a friend of mine asked a lady about why her son was acting strange and she told him that he was autistic.

My friend replied, "Does he paint or draw or something?"

My friend is stupid.

Abracadaniel on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "If you're just joining us, we're here with actor Tracy Jordan, who is giving guitar legend Peter Frampton enigmatic clues about a secret treasure."

Centipede Damascus on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Your "friend" is a date rapist.

Bloods End on
    edited April 2009
    There was an article on CNN yesterday about parents with 3 autistic kids.

Not to be one of those people.. but after the second one, do you really want to risk having another kid screaming at birds and running into busy streets because he likes cars?

hey, you're a cool guy

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2009
    A friend of mine who runs an Autism-rights lobby group was telling me that he thinks the whole blaming the vaccine thing is just people attempting to get back at the medical community, who used to blame the parents for autism (claiming that it must have been something that they did during pregnancy.

Evander on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Huuuuurbllaaaaaaaaarghhgh

Grey Ghost on
  • AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/31/irpt.autism/index.html
    Julian slams himself against the ground or wall while he screams, flailing his limbs. Julian's younger brother, Marcus, 3, squirms away from his parents and runs into the street to oncoming cars because he is fascinated by them. He also screams with such ferocity that his face turns purple and mucus bubbles from his nostrils. Their youngest brother, Aric, also has autism and just turned 1 year old.

Far be it for me to go all crazy eugenics on these parents.. but man.. 3 boys under 10 all with autism. I would've adopted a nice asian girl or something.

Astraphobia on
    edited April 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    A friend of mine who runs an Autism-rights lobby group was telling me that he thinks the whole blaming the vaccine thing is just people attempting to get back at the medical community, who used to blame the parents for autism (claiming that it must have been something that they did during pregnancy.
    yeah, that'll sure show the medical community

and not the kids that aren't getting vaccinated..

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I told my dad about this and he was all "don't dismiss it right away, we need people to question the medical establishments like this"

I just went :l

:l

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    I haven't been vaccinated since I was like three

I should seriously get a meningitis vaccine at some point

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    yeah, that'll sure show the medical community

and not the kids that aren't getting vaccinated..

well, yeah. He also pointed out that it was idiotic and harmful to children.

I didn't repeat that bit, because it goes without saying.

Evander on
    edited April 2009
    Yes, because if anybody doesn't know shit about medicine, it's the medical community.

Good thinking, fandy's dad. You show those trained professionals!

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I told my dad about this and he was all "don't dismiss it right away, we need people to question the medical establishments like this"

I just went :l

Your father isn't wrong. It IS good to question the medical community.

But the questioning has already been done. There is absolutely no evidence that vaccination causes autism, and there definitely IS evidence of genetic causation of autism.

Evander on
    edited April 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Yes, because if anybody doesn't know shit about medicine, it's the medical community.

He's been on this open minded kick lately, all talking about stuff like religion and ghosts and vaccines maybe not being all good

I am just like :l

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I haven't been vaccinated since I was like three

I should seriously get a meningitis vaccine at some point

I was filling out an application for an archaeology field school and it says "Have you received a tetanus shot in the last 10 years?"

and under it, "(You should)"

Grey Ghost on
    edited April 2009
    guys I don't want to get all crazy on you here

but questioning stuff is good

stupid beliefs, however, are not

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »

He's been on this open minded kick lately, all talking about stuff like religion and ghosts and vaccines maybe not being all good

I am just like :l
    Well 2 out of 3 aint bad

because ghosts are fucking assholes

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2009

indeed.

the questioning is not the issue.

Evander on
    edited April 2009

no one here said questioning is inherently bad, but for questioning to be useful one needs to actually ask meaningful and non-redundant questions

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wasn't there a huge measles outbreak in san diego last year because some dumbass parent decided to not vaccinate their child and he brought it back from germany, mostly because of the autism scare thing? putting other kids in danger is my main concern.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited April 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    wasn't there a huge measles outbreak in san diego last year because some dumbass parent decided to not vaccinate their child and he brought it back from germany, mostly because of the autism scare thing? putting other kids in danger is my main concern.
    I don't know about that particular case, but yes many diseases we had almost eliminated are reestablishing themselves because of ignorant parents

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One study links autism with vaccinations by completely blurring the line between correlation and causality, as well as having an extremely limited group of test subjects, and the world latches onto it. Thousands of other studies refute the findings of the shitty study and basically call that test a POS. Those are ignored.

Not to mention the fact that autism generally manifests itself and is at the point where it's noticeable at the same time the vaccines are given, which is coincidence. But alas A SPECIAL DIET OF VEGETABLES AND VITAMINS WILL CURE MY BABY OF TEH AUTISMZ! I can't wait for the repercussions 10 to 20 years from now when these children suffer epidemics of preventable diseases and the parents point fingers at the medical community for not helping their kids get horribly sick.

Hunter on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

I think this tells us that nobody should visit Germany.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited April 2009
    and part of questioning stuff is not blindly accepting everything the medical community throws at you for the simple reason that they're the medical community

like, I am in favor of vaccines, but that's because I have read books and heard both sides of the story ad nauseam and blahblahblah

a lot of the time around these forums I basically get the idea that everyone holds these opinions only because everyone else does, and just because they are generally enlightened and educated opinions doesn't entirely excuse that

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    One study links autism with vaccinations by completely blurring the line between correlation and causality, as well as having an extremely limited group of test subjects, and the world latches onto it. Thousands of other studies refute the findings of the shitty study and basically call that test a POS. Those are ignored.

Not to mention the fact that autism generally manifests itself and is at the point where it's noticeable at the same time the vaccines are given, which is coincidence. But alas A SPECIAL DIET OF VEGETABLES AND VITAMINS WILL CURE MY BABY OF TEH AUTISMZ! I can't wait for the repercussions 10 to 20 years from now when these children suffer epidemics of preventable diseases and the parents point fingers at the medical community for not helping their kids get horribly sick.

Darwin would be so proud

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited April 2009

I think this tells us that nobody should visit Germany.
    Or San Diego, really.

I mean, do you really want to be in such close proximity to Shibby? I think not.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2009
    and part of questioning stuff is not blindly accepting everything the medical community throws at you for the simple reason that they're the medical community

like, I am in favor of vaccines, but that's because I have read books and heard both sides of the story ad nauseam and blahblahblah

a lot of the time around these forums I basically get the idea that everyone holds these opinions only because everyone else does, and just because they are generally enlightened and educated opinions doesn't entirely excuse that
    shank you're being a stupid shit here

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2009

shank you're being a stupid shit here

If they're enlightened and educated then aren't they innately well thought out and not blindly accepted

or

???

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Words cannot describe how monumentally retarded this anti-vaccination shit is.

Most pseudoscientific garbage like astrology is mostly harmless, but as far as I'm concerned, the anti-vaccination movement has blood on its hands.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I believe in vaccines because I don't know anyone with Polio.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    college has done funny things to you shank

Pony on