Options

Screen violence: At what point does "But it's only fiction!" stop working for you?

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
Yep, I just watched the Caprica pilot this morning, and in the according thread there was a discussion about the holodeck-type fun'n'games in that one. Which made me think: the more 'real' games become in terms of representation (visuals, sound, touch, smell, taste etc.), is there a point where game violence becomes too much for you personally, and where you believe that it goes too far? Or, as it's virtual and therefore fictional violence, is it always okay?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
Thirith on

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Short answer, No.

Long answer, maybe, someday. I can imagine the horrors something like Silent Hill 2 could bring if it had access to my sense of smell and touch.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The truth is that even the most realistic multiplayer VR shooting game is still not going to feel much different from playing paintball. People won't ever bother simming out the gory details of realistic deaths because, like in film and literature, it's not usually very good entertainment.

Games always remain gamey.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'unno, occasionally I'll feel a bit squeamish about killing in a game. This happened to me while playing Far Cry 2 the other day actually. The goons often sound absolutely terrified if things go badly for them. There was one guy left standing, I couldn't see him, but I could hear him going "Shit shit shit, I don't wanna die, I wanna go home..." and I wanted to just leave him be. I didn't, because he shot at me afterwards, but I still felt a bit funny about it afterwards. I knew it was just a game. Just chalked it up to good voice acting and direction.

Oh, and I dislike having to harm dogs in games. Dunno why it's dogs and no other animals. Incidentally it means there's a single log recording in Bioshock that I simply cannot listen to ever again. You know the one.

In short, it never becomes too much for me objectively, but depending on how the enemies are portrayed I might feel a bit guilty.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    There was one guy left standing, I couldn't see him, but I could hear him going "Shit shit shit, I don't wanna die, I wanna go home..." and I wanted to just leave him be. I didn't, because he shot at me afterwards

SCREW GAMES THAT DO THIS

The guy is obviously not going to shoot me if he wants to live that badly, so why make me kill him?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    There was one guy left standing, I couldn't see him, but I could hear him going "Shit shit shit, I don't wanna die, I wanna go home..." and I wanted to just leave him be. I didn't, because he shot at me afterwards

SCREW GAMES THAT DO THIS

The guy is obviously not going to shoot me if he wants to live that badly, so why make me kill him?
    Most games don't actually give the AI any sense of self-preservation; it's one of the things I really hope to see become a commonplace thing, so I'll actually have a choice about killing some people.

Dusda on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, I wish all games that involves shooting people have a surrender mechanic in the game, where the combatant that knows they are out gunned will just lay down their weapon with their hands up and you have the option of letting them go.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dusda wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »

SCREW GAMES THAT DO THIS

Most games don't actually give the AI any sense of self-preservation; it's one of the things I really hope to see become a commonplace thing, so I'll actually have a choice about killing some people.

Fallout actually does this. I beat the crap out of a bunch of raiders and the last one was hiding behind a beam whimpering that he didn't want to die. When I approached, he just ran off.

The problem is in most FPS games there is no where for them to run off to.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The truth is that even the most realistic multiplayer VR shooting game is still not going to feel much different from playing paintball. People won't ever bother simming out the gory details of realistic deaths because, like in film and literature, it's not usually very good entertainment.

Games always remain gamey.

Getting input and output directly from people's brains is a sort of "holy grail" that has been around for a while. Considering that there are rather major practical applications of it (most obviously: output -> movement for the physically disabled, input -> sight for the blind) it's inevitable that it will be eventually possible. Once you can send a signal directly to your brain, there would be no upper limit on how realistic something could be.

We're talking about games (or "movies") that come with a coupon for Depends so you don't shit your pants, here.

If the upper limit is that the game is indistinguishable from reality, aside from your own personal knowledge that it isn't real... then you really wonder how much people could take. Would it even be legal? What if a game existed that convinced you that it was a game but never "intercepted" your movements, directing you through your own environment (heavily filtered so you wouldn't recognize it) to go shoot people? What if a particularly meta game played off on that niggling little doubt, making you incessantly think, "oh shit, is this actually a game?"

Garthor on
  • Options
    Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Yes, I wish all games that involves shooting people have a surrender mechanic in the game, where the combatant that knows they are out gunned will just lay down their weapon with their hands up and you have the option of letting them go.

Rise of the Triad used to do the first part, as in they would put their guns down and kneel on the floor, but if you let them live they'd shoot you in the back. I hated that, I'd rather have that they just kept shooting so you could kill them without remorse.

Sorcha Ravenlock on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I always liked the way halo faked this.

When you came up against a squad of 3-5 grunts with an Elite or Brute leading them, and you kill the Elite or Brute, the grunts just disband and go hide in the corner. Sometimes they might peak their head out to throw a sticky, but more often than not, they just tuck their head under a rock and hope to god you leave them alone.

In response to the OP question. I don't think I'll ever hit that point in regards to disgust. Now, I'm openly admit that I couldn't get past the 3rd level in FEAR when I tried to play it a couple months ago, because it scared the bejesus out of me.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That, and innocent bystanders. No war game ever had the guts to include civilians running for their lives and getting in your line of fire.

Needle on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The only times I've felt bad for harming people in games:

1. In GTA IV, when you have the choice to let the dude fall from the construction site near the beginning, and when you have the choice to kill Dwayne's old gf. I killed them both, but felt kind of bad afterwards.

2. I shot all the caged animals in the lab in RE5.

3. Whenever you smack Toad in the Mario Kart games and he sounds like a tortured little child.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Needle wrote: »

That, and innocent bystanders. No war game ever had the guts to include civilians running for their lives and getting in your line of fire.

What are you talking about? Arcade games do this all the time.
    hobby.jpg

Kor on
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

ArmA has civilians.

Wibod on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I speak from experience on this. The day games accurately reproduce the smell of war is the day people stop playing violent games.

The ArmA sequel will include civilians and I am pretty sure the first one had civilians too. I can't remember if OpFlash did though.

edit- beat'd

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    heh, you say the smell of war and all I can think of is the sweaty nasty battle rattle you have to wear overseas for 14 hours a day. heh... make gamers wear that shit and we'll see how long the CoD franchise lasts.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    heh, you say the smell of war and all I can think of is the sweaty nasty battle rattle you have to wear overseas for 14 hours a day. heh... make gamers wear that shit and we'll see how long the CoD franchise lasts.

Hahaha. Yeah, IIRC the God damn armor alone is 45lbs, plus 9lbs for your weapon and 9 more for the kevlar and however much all that fucking ammo weighed.

edit- Which doesn't even include any extra gear you might have. Claymores, shape charges, NVGs, etc, etc.

Axen on
  • Options
    NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kor wrote: »

What are you talking about? Arcade games do this all the time.
    hobby.jpg
    Really? There is a significant percentage of arcade games set in WAR scenarios where accidentally or recklessly slaughtering civilians and innocents is a constant possibility?

Needle on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think it ever really goes too far at this point. Obviously I would never expose my kids to some of the more extreme stuff (assuming I had kids), but at this point any hypothetical discussion about holographic stuff, etc, is just that: hypothetical. It may never be relevant.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw some episode of Law and Order: SVU today that dealt with violence in gaming. Some guy apparently had trouble distinguishing between fiction and reality, shouting for the game to stop telling him to kill people whilst moving his hands like he was using a controller.

It was almost as embarassing as that Life episode with Prince of Persia.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I saw some episode of Law and Order: SVU today that dealt with violence in gaming. Some guy apparently had trouble distinguishing between fiction and reality, shouting for the game to stop telling him to kill people whilst moving his hands like he was using a controller.
    ...Seriously? Ow, my brain.

I hate Law and Order; they're so preachy and bias that sometimes they rival 7th Heaven.

Dusda on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I draw the line at gorn. Obviously, fighting and killing is common in video games and films, but to my mind it has to accomplish something. Violence for violence sake I don't enjoy.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I hate Law and Order; they're so preachy and bias that sometimes they rival 7th Heaven.

"You mean he played...to death?"

Or was that CSI...

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    I speak from experience on this. The day games accurately reproduce the smell of war is the day people stop playing violent games.

The ArmA sequel will include civilians and I am pretty sure the first one had civilians too. I can't remember if OpFlash did though.

edit- beat'd

Soldier of Fortune did as well. It was mission over if you executed an American civilian, but killing Iraqi civilians was fair game and had no penalties.

The devs patched that out pretty sharpish and called it an "accidental oversight" when the press asploded on that one.

subedii on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Morally/Ethically? Never. Me personally finding it enjoyable? I'd probably not play "Holodeck WW1: Everyone Dies Horribly OH JESUS" because that would be less fun than it would be awful.

Frankly, though, I'd welcome realism in games in terms of violence if only because it would open the possibility that violence would no longer be the default stance of the player. If there are real out-of-game consequences to a violent act, rather than "-10 to your GoodNice score!", then it becomes possible to put a player into situations where they can't easily just smack things repeatedly with a hammer, while retaining it as an option.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    CoD4 opens with you shooting non-military crew-members onboard a ship, some of whom are sleeping, before quantum leaping into a long scene where you watch civilians getting gunned down.

Khavall on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

To be fair, the episodes in SVU and vanilla Law and Order that used video games as a "scapegoat" have, as I remember, always ended with the perp being guilty, and the "vidja games made me do it!" defense being laughed out of court.
    Khavall wrote: »
    CoD4 opens with you shooting non-military crew-members onboard a ship, some of whom are sleeping, before quantum leaping into a long scene where you watch civilians getting gunned down.

This. CoD4 has a lot of powerful images. Firing on targets from a circling AC-130, while the pilots and AWACS confirm kills in a monotone voice, for instance. A spoiler for all two of you who haven't played yet.
    Surviving a nuclear blast, thinking you may be able to make it out, only to crawl on the ground and die. This is right after struggling like a motherfucker to save the life of a helicopter pilot, who obviously also dies in the blast.

The son of the major enemy killing himself while you charge at him in slow motion, powerless to stop him.

Watching your squad get gunned down at the end, barely killing the big bad guy of the game, and seeing the medics give up reviving your CO.

Seriously, epic scenes there.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think it was during Manhunt when you strangle a guy with a plastic bag that I said to myself, "It really doesn't matter if this is fake, it's really disturbing." I just can't imagine actually enjoying that to any extent.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Really doubt that.

Leitner on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Killing cops in Kane and Lynch. Whatever happened to super smooth getaways?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

Really doubt that.

Dusda on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Not so much that it's too real or anything, but Fallout 3 definately crossed the line for me. There was no reason to have it be so gory (even without bloody mess), and there is a world of difference between a few red pixels in the old games and the overy gratuitous blood mess in the new game. Plus, they missed the entire point in the humor from it, which came from the funny sentence describing it, not the actual graphics.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nah, violence is disturbing when there's not enough of it. In a game, I'd imagine a person exploding into little bits is far less shocking that watching a person die wailing from a gunshot wound. If that makes sense.

Bloody Mess > realistic violence

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Not so much that it's too real or anything, but Fallout 3 definately crossed the line for me. There was no reason to have it be so gory (even without bloody mess), and there is a world of difference between a few red pixels in the old games and the overy gratuitous blood mess in the new game. Plus, they missed the entire point in the humor from it, which came from the funny sentence describing it, not the actual graphics.

Wow, really? Fallout 3 didn't strike me as particularly gory in any detail. I mean compared to a guy getting a cigarette put out in his eye before his throat is cut, or using a pair of pliers and a knife to take a bullet out of your leg, or living through the last moments of someones life after a nuclear blast, or hell, grabbing someone, punching them, and hurling them into someone else as a weapon seemed a lot worse to me than watching someones corpse explode in entirety from a single bullet

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

Really doubt that.

Trust me, its a horrible smell. A smell I do not have the words to accurately describe. There is just no way a sane person or a person who can actually smell would subject themselves to it willingly. Especially over a 10 hour or so game. More so if its a game set in the Middle East where the heat amplifies the stench.

edit- Of course if you misinterpreted my post and thought I meant that once they smell the smell they will never play any violent game, then that was not my intention. I was just saying they will never play another violent game that would also have that smell.

Axen on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, if anything I groaned when I saw it. Not from the gore, just that a small pistol can not sever your arms, legs, and head.

In response to Khavall.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Outright gore doesn't startle me, and ironically the more heavily it's applied in an effort to shock the more comic book and detached the whole experience gets. Seeing and understanding the effects of my actions though can affect me. I've found that once in a while an RPG or adventure game will make me feel uneasy about doing something where I could easily mow down 1,000 enemies in Gears of War, Call of Duty, or whatever FPS, and most of the time simply not feel anything. Call it context I guess.

If there's no psychological aspect to what's happening on screen then most of the time it just feels like mechanics and ragdolls. Maybe that'll change the day we really do have lifelike representations of humans in games, to the extent that I'd automatically emote with them on some human level. But they'd have to be more than just "technically" human in their appearances, they'd have to behave like humans as well otherwise you may as well be shooting robots.

When games start representing people realistically enough that I could come across a random enemy in-game and think to myself "you know, this guy and me, we could be buds in another situation" is likely the day I'm too uneasy to continue and stop playing altogether.

Given the kinds of directions that the industry's interested in going though, I think it's pretty unlikely. And if I'm honest, considering the kinds of advancements necessary in AI to get a facsimile of convincing and lifelike behaviour on-screen, I doubt we'd even have the necessary technology for it anytime soon either.

But more blood and chunks? That's easy, we've got the mechanics, and we can up it with the processing power with every generation.

subedii on
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well if game technology was advanced to accurately recreate the feeling of being in a war I'm not sure I would exactly be comfortable with playing it.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had a decent AI for this kind of thing, even if they didn't intend it. You might have some guy fight along side you one day, just because you were in the same place at the wrong time. The next day, you might find him getting gnawed on by a pack of dogs or dragged into a fire. It was also emotional when you saw someone on the ground and you prepared to end their life, but just before you did, you hear a whispered cry of "Mama..."

Justify why you need to kill another man who is scared and crying for his mother. Even if it is a computer generated one.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    A little off topic, but how was Caprica anyway?

Axen on