As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Long held misconceptions

• Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I want some bees and fucking honey!

I love stuff like that.

How are Canadian and American foreigners treated in the UK in general?

Say in a pub setting.
    Normal circumstances, no rudeness or anything particularly negative to set up a situation.

I ask because I keep hearing and reading conflicting reports, and I know we have a large British community here.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    I was convinced that a flammable was something that you used to put out a fire until a year ago.

In a similar vein, I used to think inflammable was something that was fire retardant, as I knew what flammable meant and it didn't make any sense to me that inflammable would mean the same thing.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Brummie?

Birmingham. Frequently rated the least intelligent accent for people, like below silence.

Leitner on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    re the earlier debate on the two big survial shows, I would like to just mention that Les Stroud ALSO sucks

ALso, I hate people that say "Mute point" and "for all intensive purposes"

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I knew a girl from Birmingham.
    She was very nice. Well liked by all.

Her last name was Dolphin. Awesome!

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Haha, from the British Accent video, I know now from what part of london my friend is from. He's obviously from urban London, it's almost uncanny.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Brummie?

Birmingham. Frequently rated the least intelligent accent for people, like below silence.

That's why I figured Brummie would be the answer to Scalfin's question:
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Which one's the one that sounds like a drunken slur and makes you want to scream "use your lips" at the TV?

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    re the earlier debate on the two big survial shows, I would like to just mention that Les Stroud ALSO sucks

Loose as lose has become really common. And unlike the other ones that's actually a reasonably common word that you learn in like nursery, how can you seriously fuck that up?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Loose as lose has become really common. And unlike the other ones that's actually a reasonably common word that you learn in like nursery, how can you seriously fuck that up?

Are you serious? In speech?

Because if people are starting to say loose instead of lose.... dear lord.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Brummie?

That's why I figured Brummie would be the answer to Scalfin's question:
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Which one's the one that sounds like a drunken slur and makes you want to scream "use your lips" at the TV?

Could also be Glaswegian, or maybe Dundonian. My uncle has a Dundonian accent so strong that each sentence sounds like a single noise with inflections. I understand it fine but I imagine other people being baffled.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Endomatic wrote: »

Are you serious? In speech?

Because if people are starting to say loose instead of lose.... dear lord.

Nah text, not quite that bad. Just a tangently related annoyance.

Leitner on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

But what if they actually mean that the point has changed, or that something is applicable for every purpose of small-scale agriculture?

Cervetus on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    they'd ... ah...still be wrong? Are you trying to fuck my brain? Because if I wanted my brain fucked, I'd use my PIN number to get cash money from the ATM machine and pay a slutty whore to do it.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I wonder how people keep mistaking ad and add for each other.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    they'd ... ah...still be wrong? Are you trying to fuck my brain? Because if I wanted my brain fucked, I'd use my PIN number to get cash money from the ATM machine and pay a slutty whore to do it.

How would they be wrong? Those are perfectly valid ways of expressing those ideas.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did anyone else try to get their Moms to buy sugary cereals with the 'it's good for you!' angle? The commercials usually ended with a jingle about how the cereals were part of a balanced breakfast and shown with orange juice and wheat toast. It's nutritious Mom, really, and it turns the milk brown from all the vitamins! Complete breakfast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGdNKDC88B4

emnmnme on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, with British accents...I always hear about these British actors "affecting" a different regional dialect for their roles (Giles had a different accent than Anthony Stewart Head, the 10th doctor is really scottish but puts on a different accent, etc.)

And then there's the upper class British people with posh accents who decide they want to affect an urban accent. Mockney, I believe it's called. People like The Streets and Damon Albarn.

And somehow, all your British actors are pretty good at having "American" accents that don't sound forced, when vice versa always sounds fake.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

But what if they actually mean that the point has changed, or that something is applicable for every purpose of small-scale agriculture?

I get the play on words you are making with intensive, but not with mute.

What definition of mute are you working with?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just found out in the fitness thread that shelled peanuts are known as "monkey nuts" in the UK.

Huh.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, with British accents...I always hear about these British actors "affecting" a different regional dialect for their roles (Giles had a different accent than Anthony Stewart Head, the 10th doctor is really scottish but puts on a different accent, etc.)

And then there's the upper class British people with posh accents who decide they want to affect an urban accent. Mockney, I believe it's called. People like The Streets and Damon Albarn.

And somehow, all your British actors are pretty good at having "American" accents that don't sound forced, when vice versa always sounds fake.

House's sounds fake. He just hides it under a growl.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What about James Masters? Does he sound any good? Him and Alexis Denisof(Wesley) speaking in their normal voice always sounds weird to me.

Back on topic: For the longest time I thought a month had 5 weeks. It stems from somebody telling me as a kid: "In five weeks or about a month."

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    What about James Masters? Does he sound any good? Him and Alexis Denisof(Wesley) speaking in their normal voice always sounds weird to me.

Back on topic: For the longest time I thought a month had 5 weeks. It stems from somebody telling me as a kid: "In five weeks or about a month."

yeah, they both sound pretty good, though in most places in the UK you'll be hard pressed to find anyone with Denisof's affected accent, since it's posh as fuck.

We do have just a ridiculous amount of accents in this country though, if you go basically 50 miles in any direction there'll be at least one new accent

Quirk on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

It was convincing enough (allegedly) that Bryan Singer mistook him for an American on his audition tape.

And now, to be on topic, a misconception. Not mine, but my mother's.

She grew up in a city having never seen a squirrel except for on TV. She laboured under the impression for many years that squirrels were approximately the size of rabbits, and just had a tail stuck on the end.

area on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Hugh Laurie sounds like an American to me when he plays House.

I never feel right hearing his real voice.

Same with Jamie Bamber.

In conclusion, you're wrong because my opinion is right.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Looks like we have found another long-held misconception! Since grade school I have thought that mute meant "to change," and that it then came to mean "to silence" because the volume was being changed. Turns out not.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

Sounds genuine to me. I was honestly suprised when I found out he's British.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You guys seriously need to watch more British TV.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Sounds genuine to me. I was honestly suprised when I found out he's a British comedian.

And then I discovered Jeeves & Wooster on Youtube. Hugh Laurie + Stephen Fry + P. G. Wodehouse? Yes please.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    And by that you mean PBS

because that is like 90% british tv

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You guys seriously need to watch more British TV.

Why would I want to watch that crap?
    :P

Kagera on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And by that you mean PBS

because that is like 90% british tv

423ICameBouquets.jpg

When I was a kid, PBS on Saturday was always boring tv unless they were showing Mr. Bean. But I learned to sort of appreciate British tv as I got older.

There was some show I saw when I was in London where they had a character who was "American", but non-subtly. He wore like, a Yankees jacket and a Yankees hat and talked with a thick Brooklyn accent. Can't recall the show.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I read something by a linguistics professor who said that when she was in her home city (somewhere in Scotland I think) she could ride the bus and tell what bus stops people were going to get off at from their accent.

The range of British accents is massive.

Gwyneth Paltrow does a good English accent.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I read something by a linguistics professor who said that when she was in her home city (somewhere in Scotland I think) she could ride the bus and tell what bus stops people were going to get off at from their accent.

You can do this in Glasgow if you've lived there a while. It's quite often exaggerated by the fact that there's still a fairly strong divide between Catholic and Protestant communities, especially because their respective children will often attend different schools.

japan on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ah yes, I've met Glaswegian Catholics.

There's no sectarian like a Paisley sectarian.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    idk, my bff rose?

Kagera on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

On the subject of minor things that annoy the hell out of us.

People who say "PIN number" or "SIN number" instead of just PIN or SIN.

It is not your Personal Identification Number number. Goddamn.

Asiina on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Asiina wrote: »

Same for "ATM Machines"?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Asiina wrote: »

Same for "ATM Machines"?

Eh, it helps for clarrification so they know what you are talking about and just saying PI number would sound stupid.

Neaden on
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Looks like we have found another long-held misconception! Since grade school I have thought that mute meant "to change," and that it then came to mean "to silence" because the volume was being changed. Turns out not.

I suppose that's not completely ridiculous (transmute, mutable, etc., etc.)

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I suppose that's not completely ridiculous (transmute, mutable, etc., etc.)

It is almost certainly because of mutable, thank you.

Cervetus on