Options

Sony blackballs Kotaku

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Hamju wrote: »
    I wonder, is anyone keeping track of all the shit Sony does? Like, is there some masterlist somewhere of every evil and/or stupid thing Sony's done in the last five years? I'm just curious...

No, but I'm sure we could create a Wiki entry for it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kotaku uses it's blog status to act like complete tools whenever and however they want.

Then people posting in this thread to support them, acting like they're a legitimate news site.

They're a complete and utter joke.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And it's neat that Destructiod has that banner, but I wonder if they have any plans to stop posting Sony news. Somehow, I doubt it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SirToons wrote: »
    Kotaku uses it's blog status to act like complete tools whenever and however they want.

Then people posting in this thread to support them, acting like they're a legitimate news site.

personal opinion olol.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I dislike Kotaku slightly less than Sony. Therefore, GO KOTAKU!

Sheep on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    And it's neat that Destructiod has that banner, but I wonder if they have any plans to stop posting Sony news. Somehow, I doubt it.

I would love to see a mass boycott of Sony news amongst the sites, but after consideration they probably realize that it would only hurt them more. I'm sure Kotaku would love to do that more than anyone, but I'm sure that's why they've decided to continue with Sony coverage.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Hm well it seems old hat to say it, but Sony isn't into making friends. We knew that already after the last few generations.

Apparently, they also have the arrogance to believe that they can survive without a fanbase. They are putting entirely too much faith on this "silent majority"

I wonder how many pissed people they have that overpayed for a ps3?

I'm sure that the people who bought the PS3 at retail price knew what they were getting into and aren't terribly dissatisfied.

The ones who bought it off eBay for $1500 on the other hand ... they're probably kicking themselves right now.

With that stupid fake PSP blog, Jack Tretton's endless verbal diarrhea, the retarded crying baby doll commercial, and now this thing, Sony's gotta do something about its PR death spiral.

I dislike Kotaku as much as the next guy, but blackballing someone for posting a rumor as a rumor is just an asshole move.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the crying doll was a great commercial, unsettling yes, but great none the less.

better thematically than the "mad world" gears commercial.

Zephos on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wonder, is anyone keeping track of all the shit Sony does? Like, is there some masterlist somewhere of every evil and/or stupid thing Sony's done in the last five years? I'm just curious...

There actually is one floating around on a forum somewhere, though I don't know if it still exists. Also, I think that a forumer here was maintaining a wiki for a while.

jothki on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zephos wrote: »
    the crying doll was a great commercial, unsettling yes, but great none the less.

You're...kidding, right?

RIGHT?!

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

personal opinion olol.
    Personal opinion has nothing to do with journalistic merit, you tool.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

You're...kidding, right?

RIGHT?!

I guess you could argue that it was interesting artistically (even though I dont agree with this), but it also didnt show any PS3 game footage whatsoever, which they really should have done.

Also, why on earth didnt Sony just do what everyone else does when something is leaked and deny, deny, deny? Stuff like this has happened before, but its never really a big deal because the publisher always replies with "no comment." Why didnt Sony just do that?

BiggNife on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Update: This really wasn't worth it for Kotaku. They do get one good scoop now, but they've potentially blown countless scoops in the future, since Sony has cut off ALL information to them. And blabbing about the blackballing could ensure it continues for quite some time.

Uh?

Am I the only one who remembers that 'scoops' simply don't exist any more? The instant one site (blog or otherwise) reports something, it's everywhere within minutes.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So are we still being too hard on Sony for being idiots?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Well, at the very least I could close my eyes and get some aural satisfaction from the Gears commercial. The PS3 crying doll one is just pure stupid.

Now the one with the eggs and crows I like.

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Update: This really wasn't worth it for Kotaku. They do get one good scoop now, but they've potentially blown countless scoops in the future, since Sony has cut off ALL information to them. And blabbing about the blackballing could ensure it continues for quite some time.

Uh?

Am I the only one who remembers that 'scoops' simply don't exist any more? The instant one site (blog or otherwise) reports something, it's everywhere within minutes.
    Yeah but...whoever posts the info first is the one that got the 'scoop'. And they generally get credit from other sites for being the one to break the story. So over time, they gain a repuation as the go-to place for new info. It's just that, in the old days everyone got the story the next day, whereas now it's the next few minutes. Same concept though.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    BiggNife wrote: »

You're...kidding, right?

RIGHT?!

I guess you could argue that it was interesting artistically (even though I dont agree with this), but it also didnt show any PS3 game footage whatsoever, which they really should have done.

Also, why on earth didnt Sony just do what everyone else does when something is leaked and deny, deny, deny? Stuff like this has happened before, but its never really a big deal because the publisher always replies with "no comment." Why didnt Sony just do that?

no, i mean, Mad world is a GREAT song, but the pacing in that commercial was horrible past the first 30 seconds in the longer version, in the shorter version its even worse. the horrible literal lyrics of "familiar faces" as he looks into the reflection in the puddle, and then "worn out faces" as he turns the face of the broken statue. Right at the end, the piano in the dark with only the orange eyes illuminating the scene start to work, but as soon as the creature is revealed the pace of the song is too slow for what you are seeing on screen.

thematically, the baby doll one is incredible. Very 2001 monolith style. The young, blank slate of a child is completely awed and blown away by the knowledge that the ps3 imbues into it. It only works with the doll too, a real child would have been not good enough. there is impact there, the reflection of all the images in the eyes as the tears flow, then retract.

the sony commercial didnt have to show in game footage, it was a commercial for the system, the concept behind the system,

and artistically, the gears commercial was nothing more than a fan trailer with dubbed music. it just looked so amature. and hell, for that we have this decent metallica remix.

Zephos on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jothki wrote: »

There actually is one floating around on a forum somewhere, though I don't know if it still exists. Also, I think that a forumer here was maintaining a wiki for a while.

It was the subject of a thread here earlier this year.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If this is "evil" - then the bar has been seriously lowered.

As folks have already pointed out, this kind of stuff happens fairly often, yet KOTAKU decides to make their case public. Why not, theyve been b-balled anyway, why not drive the traffic up on it. Also, SONY has every right to say "Hey look, we've worked with you guys in the past - given you certain perks. . .in the spirit of that relationship - can we please get a squash on this story for now?".

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    thematically, the baby doll one is incredible. Very 2001 monolith style. The young, blank slate of a child is completely awed and blown away by the knowledge that the ps3 imbues into it. It only works with the doll too, a real child would have been not good enough. there is impact there, the reflection of all the images in the eyes as the tears flow, then retract.
    Sorry, but copping the entire concept from a classic (and awesome) movie to hock your game system doesn't strike me as thematically incredible. Not to mention, the '2001 monolith' angle has exactly zero impact on anyone who isn't familiar with the movie/book (which is a lot of people these days).

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Vegan wrote: »

Man, there should be. It'd probably be as long as that list of things that have happened in current events since DNF was announced.

Ask, and thy shalt receiveth

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, but copping the entire concept from a classic (and awesome) movie to hock your game system doesn't strike me as thematically incredible. Not to mention, the '2001 monolith' angle has exactly zero impact on anyone who isn't familiar with the movie/book (which is a lot of people these days).

guess it just boils down to personal perception.

i just choose to look at more than a catchy song and pretty graphics and dig a little deeper.

i DO get the meaning for the 2001, and i for one really "get" the commercial despite the fact that i'm a 360 owner, and despiser of the ps3.

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ED! wrote: »
    If this is "evil" - then the bar has been seriously lowered.

As folks have already pointed out, this kind of stuff happens fairly often, yet KOTAKU decides to make their case public. Why not, theyve been b-balled anyway, why not drive the traffic up on it. Also, SONY has every right to say "Hey look, we've worked with you guys in the past - given you certain perks. . .in the spirit of that relationship - can we please get a squash on this story for now?".

I think it's more to the fact that Sony tried to discourage a rumor from being posted and instead of outright denying that the rumor is true like they should have, they decided to take the extreme route and blackballed the site, which is just rather retarded. Kinda silly that you're okay with Sony essentially trying to "blackmail/bribe" the rumor under the rug.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    So are we still being too hard on Sony for being idiots?

nah. given their dev kits and their development cycle. Its pure hilarity.

LOL sony. You fail.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I have to agree with him, and submit Apple's 1984 commercial as well.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

I have to agree with him, and submit Apple's 1984 commercial as well.
    heh, no small jump then to find that i am an ENORMOUS fan of the 1984 commercial.

although i'll note i've never read 1984, nor do i really know anything of the story.

Edit: the more i think about it, the more the 2001 or 1984 theme dont rely so much on the specific media that we associate them, but more or less common themes through history. I feel that these media outlets tap into the Zeitgeist, kinda bridging the gap if you havnt seen any of the direcly related media.

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Kinda silly that you're okay with Sony essentially trying to "blackmail/bribe" the rumor under the rug.

So a company saying "If you cant work with us, we wont work with you" is now blackmail? They got two letters - one cordial, one "ok - gloves off". . .usually in blackmail situations you get one letter, and its not so nice. A true dick move wouldve been to not give KOTAKU any warning and just cancelled all their press access.

ED! on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Kinda silly that you're okay with Sony essentially trying to "blackmail/bribe" the rumor under the rug.

So a company saying "If you cant work with us, we wont work with you" is now blackmail? They got two letters - one cordial, one "ok - gloves off". . .usually in blackmail situations you get one letter, and its not so nice. A true dick move wouldve been to not give KOTAKU any warning and just cancelled all their press access.

Asking for favors after giving gifts with the threat of taking those gifts away or more tends to be a form of blackmail. The short form of it is that Sony tried to literally scare the guy into not posting the rumor.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I just read about this and, well, interesting.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, here's a good way to revive a failing product: pimp slap people who give you hype-generating positive press in any way other than something that's exactly what you want.

Man, Sony's really losing it. If they keep attracting good games I'll probably buy their console several years down the line, but the last year or so it's kinda seemed like they've been using a Magic 8 Ball to make their decisions.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe they reacted that way because the story is false.

"So, I hear the PS3 Network is getting a much-needed upgrade, what some believe can finally push the online aspect to the levels of Xbox Live. "

"Well... no, not really."

"...Oh. So, anyone for some co-op Crackdown?"

Edit: Hey, posters above me, blackmailing is not blackballing.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, this was an all around bad move on Sonys part. It is also exactly what I expect of them at this point.

corin7 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, Sony has just shot one of their biggest supporters in her gaping blogina.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Manic205 wrote: »

"So, I hear the PS3 Network is getting a much-needed upgrade, what some believe can finally push the online aspect to the levels of Xbox Live. "

Actually, the story is about Playstation Home, which is essentially a mix between Miis and Achievements.

And their reaction only helps to validate the story since they don't actually prove it false.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Asking for favors after giving gifts with the threat of taking those gifts away or more tends to be a form of blackmail. The short form of it is that Sony tried to literally scare the guy into not posting the rumor.
    You realise it's a pretty regular thing in the games industry, right?

An example I brought up in the other thread is that Nintendo sent a copy of Super Paper Mario to Shane Bettenhausen at 1UP. From my memory of what he said on the 1UP Yours podcast, he didn't sign a NDA but just had an agreement with Nintendo to not say much about it (all he's said so far is that it's "pretty good"). If he were to openly start talking about it, I'd bet that Nintendo would "punish" 1UP/EGM by not providing them with the access they usually have.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Manic205 wrote: »

Actually, the story is about Playstation Home, which is essentially a mix between Miis and Achievements.

And their reaction only helps to validate the story since they don't actually prove it false.

And even if it IS false, why shut them up - it's still good press at this point. If Sony crushed every innacurately positive PS3 article, there'd be nothing left at this point.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Bad publicity is the new good publicity.

This is a load of shit if i've ever heard it.

Also, loss is the new profit.

Sony logic, ya know.

I thought Uwe Boll already had the market cornered on that little gem.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

So its not KOTAKU's bad for taking that access and gifts in the first place, but SONY's for (shockingly) leveraging that relationship to cash in on some of that Quid-Pro-Quo?
    The short form of it is that Sony tried to literally scare the guy into not posting the rumor.

Seems to me they said "Hey buddy - dont post this. . .were cool right, do me a solid" - at which point the scary letter came which wasnt a threat at all, but was a statement of consequence for not doing the solid.

ED! on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Honestly, Sony has just shot one of their biggest supporters in her gaping blogina.
    You're being sarcastic, right? :lol: Nearly all of the bullshit rumours that went around last year were started at Kotaku (including the infamous one where each PS3 game would only be able to run on one system).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    MillerMiller Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    So, here's a good way to revive a failing product: pimp slap people who give you hype-generating positive press in any way other than something that's exactly what you want.

If Sony is going to announce something that will give them "positive press," they're going to do it under their terms. Something being posted on a gaming blog labeled as a "rumor" doesn't really seem like the best way to go about making that announcement. You're missing the point if you think it is about destroying any and all possible hype, or getting Sony out of this "negative light."

The mistake Sony made was responding to it in such a way to make the rumor appear to be more than just that, a rumor.

Miller on
    prestigeangiernu3.jpg