As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Actually a Gears of War Spin-off

-Tal-Tal Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
cerberuslogo.png
To live as a renegade; to die for humanity

shepard.jpg

120pxgarrusme2character.png 120pxgruntcharactershot.png 120pxjackcharactershot.png 120pxjacobcharactershot.png

120pxkasumicharactersho.png 120pxlegioncharactersho.png 120pxmirandanew.png 120pxmordincharactersho.png

120pxsamaracharactersho.png 120pxtalinewme2.png 120pxthanecharactershot.png 120pxzaeedcharactershot.png

74221174.jpg

The largest, most story-intensive, raddest DLC to date, and the first to bridge the story between ME2 and ME3. Team up with Liara T'soni to end the Shadow Broker once and for all, for the low price of $10.

Masseffectlogo.png

What is Mass Effect? It's games!

200pxmasseffectoriginal.jpg 320pxmegalaxysplashscre.jpg 200pxfinalboxartme2.jpg

It's comics!

180pxmasseffectredempti.jpg 200pxme2aria.png 180pxmasseffectevolutio.png

It's books!

230pxmerevelation.jpg 190pxmeascension.jpg 190pxmeretributioncover.jpg

It's even a movie!

Get your ME1 import saves here! Get your ME2 faces here!

Want information? Check the wiki. Want help? Check the guide. Want everybody to survive? Check the Suicide Mission walkthrough.

Operative curly haired boy has been kind enough to provide us a brief history of Mass Effect.
sovereign watches the asari discover citadel

THEY ARE PRETTY, YES. BUT THEY HAVE ALREADY BEGUN A CULTURAL STAGNATION. UNFLAVORFUL AND BLAND I DEEM THEM

salarians come in, ambitious, but under the influence of asari cease progressing as well

OH GOD THEY'RE LIKE POP ROCKS. TOO BAD THEY DON'T LAST LONGER....ANYONE ELSE GOING TO JOIN THE PARTY?

no? oh well guess i'll drop the voice effects it's not like these rachni can appreciate them anyway. ok you bug queens guess i'll trigger this purge early. not much this time around but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. wish you buggers were worth more to me than as a puppet race...ah nevermind

OH FUCK KROGANS

dammit, they didn't even register on my spacefaring, relay-using species list! D: looks like this plan ain't gonna work retreeeat

also very odd i sent the signal to open the citadel relay but it didn't work. UPSETTING.

also dammit that was the loss of a good puppet race D: indoctrinate the queens and everyone follows ugh ugh where am i gonna find another one oh well

ooo turians OOOO they didn't even get to the citadel until they were already worth harvesting? OMFG you guys ALONE are worth this purge i gotta let the guys know~ <3 mebbe they'll give me a puppet race or something too!

um ok they're excited too but they say nobody gets access to the collectors unless it's an EMERGENCY

FUCK

uh, uh *casts around*

OH HO HO SENTIENT TOASTERS YOU SAY? I CAN WORK WITH THAT! NO I DON'T CARE THAT THEY HAVE FLASHLIGHT HEADS

hmm humans? well they're no krogan i don't think i have to worry about them much hahaha

besides i've got enough busy-work traipsing all over the galaxy trying to find this prothean "back door" thingy

did the guys bother to tell me about that? nooooo they just get to point and laugh, specially that bitch harbinger. DENY ME ACCESS TO THE COLLECTORS WILL YOU? YOU JUST WAIT

HOW BOUT I LEAVE YOU ALL IN BLACK SPACE HMMM?

i was just kidding guys- ah you don't have to bring that up-LOOK I SAID I WAS SORRY.

who the fuck is this shepard person?

ok, WHO the FUCK is this SHEPARD person?

OMFG WHO THE FUCK IS THIS SHEPARD PERSON. I AM GOING TO HAVE A CHAT WITH THIS HUMAN.

blah that didn't go as well as i'd liked. doesn't matter anyway, me and my flashlight heads are in the backdoor. the guys will like the taste of the turians and it's just gravy if i get to personally stomp out this humanity species too. GOD they can be ANNOYING.

OMFG SHEPARD I SWEAR TO GOD

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGSHDFSJDKFSDFSDFSDF1011011110001011010111-

WHAT? DON'T LOOK AT ME THAT WAY GUYS, WE ALL AGREED THAT SOVVY WAS TOO INCOMPETENT TO USE THE COLLECTORS.

OK FINE THIS IS A PROBLEM ALRIGHT I'LL USE THE COLLECTORS TO DEAL WITH IT

BAM

SHEPARD'S DEAD ARE YOU HAPPY? GOOD.

WHAT NOW. YOU WANT TO USE THE HUMANS? WHAT ARE YOU, OUT OF YOUR BIOMECHANICAL MINDS?

FINE. BUT I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT.

OH FUCK OH FUCK SHEPARD'S BACK OH FUCK

I THOUGHT I KILLED HIM TOO DON'T FUCKING BLAME ME IT'S NOT MY FAULT SOVVY LEFT THE HUSK TECH LYING AROUND WHERE THEY COULD RESEARCH IT

oh god.

shepard is in the collector base. ah shit. ah SHIT SHIT SHIIITTTTT

look, i'm sorry guys i didn't mean for that to happen. YES i know that was our backup plan. YES i know we don't have any "spare" puppet species. YES i know just how much energy we spent on the collectors and on that base.

just....leave me alone. i gotta think.

Operative TychoCelchuuu has been kind enough to provide peeks at Commander Shepard's facebook page:
one two three | FOUR! FIVE!!

Operative Kasanagi has been kind enough to provide us with sick-nasty gun mods:
Kasanagi wrote: »

Are you on your second+ game? Stop sweating the small stuff and install this: http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mods/kbo.zip

Features:
No startup movies
Infinite "Storm" AKA Sprint
Modified Krogun - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo (40 after research upgrade), semi-automatic, high speed ROF.
Modified Widow - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo, semi-automatic, high speed ROF (same as krogun's).

Just drop this in your Mass Effect 2 install folder under \BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked\ , make sure to backup your current coalesced.ini first, just in case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj0_s6d5kM

Operative korodullin has kindly offered some R&R with a wonderful game of bingo!
bingofinalv2.jpg

Operative Spoit's far more difficult variation:
me2bingo.jpg

The best part of Mass Effect is the romance. Man-on-woman. Man-on-gun. Woman-on-woman.
Inveniam viam aut faciam

150pxrenegadeicontransp.png

PNk1Ml4.png
-Tal on

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hambrabai wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    oooh I've found the paragon one

it is awesome

The Renegade one is about as good. I'll paraphrase:
    You think taking a hostage is going to work on me? Just like an asari. You should really have stuck to something you know, like dancing.

*Liara looks sideways at Shepard*

Do you know what's going to happen, Vasir? I'm going to kill your hostage. Then, I'm going to kill you. And there's nothing you can do about it.

I do find it kind of hilarious that Shepard can be a xenophobic weirdo yet still hit on and sleep with Asari like it's going out of style. Just like the Illusive Man in that respect.

I get the feeling Shepard was mostly bluffing during that bit.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shepard was absolutely bluffing. That's what made it so awesome.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    For some reason I kind of wish TIM's gender was related to Shepard's. Either opposite or the same; there's no real need to make him male each time (other than the financial considerations).

Would hardly be the illusive man then :winky:

Also, OP is missing the bingo card

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Shepard wasn't. Try the non-colored renegade option. EPIC.

The non-colored paragon option has Liara pulling a moment of awesome.

Orca on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So Orca, the save editor you linked, you have to start a new game and imported ME2 save that's been edited? There's no way to modify a ME1 save to transfer in? Because isn't importing an ME2 save sucky

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I presume everyone else is loving the
    random emails and stuff intercepted by the Shadow Broker and viewable in his base :)
    New Search: Sharks

My wife just finished our first playthrough, definitely the best DLC we've seen for any game.

Leinna on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Orca wrote: »

Yeah, I did that my first time through.
    Shepard still bluffs about being willing to kill the hostage, and also about how inferior the asari are as fighters.

Also I'd like to point out that even though that check takes nearly maxed Intimidate, you don't need anywhere close to maxed Charm, which is interesting.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So Orca, the save editor you linked, you have to start a new game and imported ME2 save that's been edited? There's no way to modify a ME1 save to transfer in? Because isn't importing an ME2 save sucky

There are no ME1 save editors that I'm aware of, just various hacks and mods to the ini files and similar (and one that'll set achievements for you).

You're importing at level 1 (or 5, or whatever you set), so don't sweat the NG+ bit. Importing an ME2 save only sucks when you're doing it at level 30.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also I'd like to point out that even though that check takes nearly maxed Intimidate, you don't need anywhere close to maxed Charm, which is interesting.

I also noticed there were a good four paragon interrupts and no renegade interrupts. Renegades must be fuming.

Going with the renegade speaking option when leaving Liara is pretty touching, actually. Not for what you say--but for what she says.

Orca on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Leinna wrote: »
    I presume everyone else is loving the
    random emails and stuff intercepted by the Shadow Broker and viewable in his base :)
    New Search: Sharks

My wife just finished our first playthrough, definitely the best DLC we've seen for any game.

Dinosaurs

The best part

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yeah, I did that my first time through.
    Shepard still bluffs about being willing to kill the hostage, and also about how inferior the asari are as fighters.

That's because you don't need charm. Shepard just straight up tells the hard truth.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the op is one spot away from bingo

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Going with the renegade speaking option when leaving Liara is pretty touching, actually. Not for what you say--but for what she says.

Which one do you mean?

Edit: Oh wait, you must mean leaving like a relationship, not like leaving Azure or something.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Which one do you mean?

Edit: Oh wait, you must mean leaving like a relationship, not like leaving Azure or something.

I meant at the very end of Shadowbroker (prior to you visiting Liara afterwards).

Orca on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Every time my husband chides me for taking a paragon option with my mostly renegade character, he's surprised when I restart and reload. :| One day he'll learn!

..Or, you know, I'll stop doubting my choices.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Time, I think, to finally do a male paragon run. That description somebody gave as m/p Shep as your best friend's goofy dad sold me on the concept

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey kids, I'm back from the store. Who wants Tupari Colaaaaaa?
    1263856214400.jpg

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Time, I think, to finally do a male paragon run. That description somebody gave as m/p Shep as your best friend's goofy dad sold me on the concept
    I run nothing but Male Paragons, and I'd say that they are actually very similar to Samara.

Except for the boobs.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Samara... but with no boobs?

I don't think I understand what you're saying

edit: goddamit plush, I was hoping to sleep tonight! D:

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heh. That sick krogan scout still cracks me up.

"But it would take a real badass krogan to get out of here, not some scout whining like a Quarian with a tummyache !"

Tali: "Hey, I'm standing right here !"

Scout: "I'm up. I'm leaving ! Raaaaah !"

Tali: "I can't believe that worked."

Fairchild on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Which one do you mean?

I meant at the very end of Shadowbroker (prior to you visiting Liara afterwards).

I like the part where she says
    it might be nice to visit the Normandy, and you just flat out tell her no. Then there's a few seconds of awkward looking away/back/away before the conversation ends.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    deowolf wrote: »

Which one do you mean?

it might be nice to visit the Normandy, and you just flat out tell her no. Then there's a few seconds of awkward looking away/back/away before the conversation ends.

haha, I haven't been enough of a dick to try that one yet

Orca on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man this game would be a nightmare to vo and do all the different options. I mean it may only be a 2 hour DLC, but theres probably a good 3-4 hours of different dialogue and options if you laid them all out end to end.

Prohass on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want more DLC now please.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Prohass wrote: »
    Man this game would be a nightmare to vo and do all the different options. I mean it may only be a 2 hour DLC, but theres probably a good 3-4 hours of different dialogue and options if you laid them all out end to end.

Not to mention a good chunk of dialogue depends on what point you are in the game, who you're currently romancing and who you've romanced in ME1-- that requires a looooooooooot of playing.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    deowolf wrote: »

When I did that one the facial expressions and gestures on both sides made me feel like I had kicked a puppy. D:
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    edit: goddamit plush, I was hoping to sleep tonight! D:

Could be worse!
    9r5baa.jpg

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    KILL IT WITH FIRE!

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    C'mon, Deowolf. You know you want this.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ugly Shep got UGLIER?! How is this even possible!

Orca on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jesus christ what IS that? Burn it! BURN IT! SEND IT TO HELL!!!!!!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One day I'll have to play a non-default looking, non-soldier Shepard. Maybe even a female to see what all this Jen Hale talk is about!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    skibo8826skibo8826 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought Jen Hale did a great job for pretty much everything up until Shadow Broker, but after playing through with both my MaleShep and my FemShep, I thought Hale was just flat out bad in the latest DLC.

skibo8826 on
    GT: mashbaugh67
    SCII: Sain.437
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I want more DLC now please.

I know what you mean. It's like digital crack. Just need one more hit, man.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    PLUUUUUUUUUUUUUSHHH :x

Also Skibo I've got to disagree. Her delivery was funny as heck on most of the lines. Deadpan, but funny!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Seriously, Didgeridoo. Nothing stands out being bad, and I straight out laughed a number of times. She does good work. :^:

Orca on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    skibo8826 wrote: »
    I thought Jen Hale did a great job for pretty much everything up until Shadow Broker, but after playing through with both my MaleShep and my FemShep, I thought Hale was just flat out bad in the latest DLC.

whaaaaaaat

Solid gold all the way through

Scooter on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm blue dotting this thread. Even though I basically never close the tab anyway.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    skibo8826 wrote: »
    Harbinger-1.jpg

And Plush, every time I see something like that I think of Mark Meer's voice, and it scares me.

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Woah woah woah Steve

what the fuck am I looking at here

it... looks obscene

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You're looking at a couple of minutes in MS Paint