As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East - Wheaton free.

ShaydeShayde Kitchen Staff SupervisorMargaritavilleRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
From his blog...
I'm super bummed that I can't make it to PAX East this year, but I plan to attend Prime this summer.

Bummer.

/pour romulan ale on floor for fallen homie.

Shayde

Ex-Agent to the Stars, ex a lot of other things too.
Pax East 2011, 2012 Veteran. 2014 now loading.
Shayde on

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, that stinks. I was looking forward to another chapter in the Acquisitions Inc Saga...

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    SheldonCooperSheldonCooper __BANNED USERS new member
    edited February 2011
    That is awesome news!

SheldonCooper on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That is awesome news!

Can it, Cooper.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That is awesome news!

Well fucking played, sir.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That is awesome news!

<3

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Options
    ShaydeShayde Kitchen Staff Supervisor MargaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Infracted for a great in-character joke? I think someone didn't get it.

Shayde on
    Shayde

• Options
    CyantCyant Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It was me lol, apparently you can't have alternate accounts. Even if I only made it for a joke... jeez someone didn't drink his nestcafe this morning.

Cyant on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Or their moon pies.

Shayde on
    Shayde

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm slightly dissapointed by this. I was looking to have my extremely beaten up copy of Just a Geek get signed. Though I had wondered if Wil's signature would fit around the hole in the middle of the book

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty bummed -- I was hoping to actually brave his autograph line this year and get a signed copy of Memories of the Future. *sniff* Well, we'll get him back to Boston one of these days. Whether he likes it or not.

*hides the cryogenically preserved puppy, the clown sweater, and the sedative*

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Darn it darn it darn it! A thousand curses!

I never got to talk to him or get his signature last year at PAX East because the line was insane and closed before I could join it. Darn!

Mr. Wheaton, if you're not at PAX East '12, I'm going to cry a million tears. It will be like Alice in Wonderland; my tears will flood the convention center.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bummer.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    I'm pretty bummed -- I was hoping to actually brave his autograph line this year and get a signed copy of Memories of the Future. *sniff* Well, we'll get him back to Boston one of these days. Whether he likes it or not.

*hides the cryogenically preserved puppy, the clown sweater, and the sedative*

I'm so down to help with this. :)

Also,

no-darth_vader.jpg

Really, though, I am a little bummed, but life happens. I'm sure there will be many other cool folks there. But damn, some of the stuff with him during the Sat. Night concert last year was HILARIOUS.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am bummed...especially since I missed the keynote last year (I know, super :( ). I also wanted to try to get my copy of "The Day After and Other Stories" signed. Ah well, guess I have yet another reason to try to get to Pax Prime?

Someone should just bring a life-size cardboard cutout of him and make it pop up in random places all over the expo!

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ixmasat wrote: »
    I am bummed...especially since I missed the keynote last year (I know, super :( ). I also wanted to try to get my copy of "The Day After and Other Stories" signed. Ah well, guess I have yet another reason to try to get to Pax Prime?

Someone should just bring a life-size cardboard cutout of him and make it pop up in random places all over the expo!

But where would one find said cardboard cutout. This should be done simply because it would be awesome.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    awww... /sadface

but it makes me feel a little better about missing east this year XD

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm bummed as well, but I guess there is always East '12. Since they can't do it at East they need to get Wheaton and record another Acquisitions Inc. for us to listen to.

nevermore13 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Somewhere on the Net there MUST be an old Wesley Crusher cutout for sale, but my Google Fu has not yet won the day...

Themiscyra on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Wheaton wasn't at the most recent batch of w00tstock shows in October, so they had a lifesize(ish) Recursive Wheaton poster in attendance. Maybe Paul and Storm can bring that.
    5154992389_f85c666667.jpg

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bandland is going to be awfully lonely this year D:

First Anamanaguchi, now THIS! [sarcasm]Soon JoCo will only have time to perform and must leave, leaving no time for Bandland.[/sarcasm]

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    punzie wrote: »
    Wheaton wasn't at the most recent batch of w00tstock shows in October, so they had a lifesize(ish) Recursive Wheaton poster in attendance. Maybe Paul and Storm can bring that.
    No. NO. Wheaton's punishment for missing PAX East is to be represented by Wesley Goddamned Crusher. The nerd gods have spoken!

Themiscyra on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No. NO. Wheaton's punishment for missing PAX East is to be represented by Wesley Goddamned Crusher. The nerd gods have spoken!

This is certainly a fantastic idea!

Okay... someone, somewhere out there must have this. We must find it. Fun and amusement to be had by all! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

This is certainly a fantastic idea!

Okay... someone, somewhere out there must have this. We must find it. Fun and amusement to be had by all! =)

Is this what you're talking about?

Best Pic Ever

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    HAHA this thread is hilarious. Way to turn bad news into funny.

Cardboard standee... if not, can anyone get any Wheaton masks made? Maybe we'll all wear one. Get a Wesley, a Evil Wheaton, Chaos, Maybe someone can go all Kilty and be Fawkes.

Shayde on
    Shayde

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    If somebody can get a standee brought to PAX, we should have it set up in Bandland and have everybody sign it, then send it to Wil.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    If somebody can get a standee brought to PAX, we should have it set up in Bandland and have everybody sign it, then send it to Wil.

This!

I think I'm going to wear a Wheaton-mask though too.

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

This is the best idea I have ever heard.

There will Wil's customary booth in Bandland... and behind it will just be the cardboard cutout, standing there, beaming, maybe with a PAX Scarf wrapped around it.

Then, instead of lining up to get Wil Wheaton to sign stuff, we can have lines to sign Wil Wheaton.

Oh my goodness the awesome of this is making my head spin.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    We should run this by Khoo/Enforcers to see if this could actually be a thing before we get too excited.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Propriety wrote: »

There will Wil's customary booth in Bandland... and behind it will just be the cardboard cutout, standing there, beaming, maybe with a PAX Scarf wrapped around it.

Then, instead of lining up to get Wil Wheaton to sign stuff, we can have lines to sign Wil Wheaton.

So it is written, so shall it be!

or in proper terms, So Say We All

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Propriety wrote: »

Oh. My. Goodness...is right.

I sincerely hope this is something that can happen. Wil just put up another post on his blog that reiterates how he hates that he can't make it to PAX East; it would be nice to create something to let him know that we know he will be attending in spirit, and we know it.

Also, if this is able to happen, Cardboard Wheaton should have a false 'stache (like the ones you get in vending machines) glued on in the appropriate spot.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    megaciamegacia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Also, if this is able to happen, Cardboard Wheaton should have a false 'stache (like the ones you get in vending machines) glued on in the appropriate spot.

Wait...you've seen vending machines that sell fake mustaches? Is there really demand for that...people just strolling by and thinking "hmm...I'd like a soda and maybe a moustache too"? :)

megacia on
  • Options
    bustin98bustin98 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    megacia wrote: »
    Wait...you've seen vending machines that sell fake mustaches? Is there really demand for that...people just strolling by and thinking "hmm...I'd like a soda and maybe a moustache too"? :)

Probably referencing the quarter machines they have at grocery stores. The ones that sell rub on tatoos and bouncing balls...

Anyone have any good promo photos of Wesley Crusher?

This is just an idea... vote on what goes in the word balloon? I'd like to use a full pose, but Google failed me. And this photo would be quite grainy real-life size (or larger than life...???).
    wil_signme.jpg

bustin98 on
    Xbox Live, PSN, Twitter: bustin98
  • Options
    FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Somewhere on the Net there MUST be an old Wesley Crusher cutout for sale, but my Google Fu has not yet won the day...

Oh, that's who he is? Or was? Wow, I am sci-fi fail today.

and Rats for missing him this year.

FoggyKnight on
  • Options
    megaciamegacia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    bustin98 wrote: »
    megacia wrote: »

Probably referencing the quarter machines they have at grocery stores. The ones that sell rub on tatoos and bouncing balls...

Anyone have any good promo photos of Wesley Crusher?

This is just an idea... vote on what goes in the word balloon? I'd like to use a full pose, but Google failed me. And this photo would be quite grainy real-life size (or larger than life...???).
    wil_signme.jpg

Oh, darn. You're right. Epic fail for me. I was far too amused with my vision.

megacia on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Damn. I had a bet with a co-worker that I could get his autograph. I guess it doesn't work the same way if I give his cardboard cutout my autograph, huh? :P

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited February 2011

Er, yeah, I totally meant those quarter "junk" machines at grocery stores. I mayyy have been a little tired when writing that post.

What photo resolution would be best to blow something up to near life-size, anyways?

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What photo resolution would be best to blow something up to near life-size, anyways?

I don't know, a billion x a billion? Does anyone have unsupervised access to one of those supermassive poster printers? It wouldn't much improve resolution, but it would at least be a high-quality print.

Oh, and I'm so in. It wouldn't be a PAX without me weirding out Wil.

Regiment on
    I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • Options
    CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Regiment wrote: »

I don't know, a billion x a billion? Does anyone have unsupervised access to one of those supermassive poster printers? It wouldn't much improve resolution, but it would at least be a high-quality print.

Oh, and I'm so in. It wouldn't be a PAX without me weirding out Wil.

There's a poster printer on my floor, but I suspect the sysadmins would probably frown on me using it to print giant Wil. Maybe not though - someone recently used it by accident to print a paypal receipt in A0 :D I could probably get away with using it if I stayed late one night. Only problem is getting it to PAX without it being trashed in transit.

Cloudwalker on
    Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • Options
    bustin98bustin98 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was thinking of having it printed as a poster and rolled into a tube, then put together Thursday night or Friday morning before the show. Would still need a cardboard backing to attach it to, or just hang him on a wall. Rolling it up in a tube afterwards would be a good way to send it to him as well.

The resolution could be as low as 200dpi and still look decent, though the higher the res means the larger it can be blown up without going blocky. Now, the dimensions of the photo, would be nice to have one 14000 pixels (width) x 22000 (height) [4' x 6'] but that'd be one huge file size. If it was 1400 x 2200 and a dpi of 300 - 600, it may stand up to enlarging pretty well.

bustin98 on
    Xbox Live, PSN, Twitter: bustin98
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The resolution could be as low as 200dpi and still look decent, though the higher the res means the larger it can be blown up without going blocky.
    Wait...wait. No. This is brilliant. Wil Wheaton should be represented by 8-bit Wesley Crusher!

Themiscyra on