Options

PAX East - Wheaton free.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know it wouldn't be perfect, but could you just find a standee of any Star Trek actor and lop off the head and add Wil? I know the costume wouldn't match, but a glued on head might be comical too...

http://www.ttrove.com/startrek.htm

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know it wouldn't be perfect, but could you just find a standee of any Star Trek actor and lop off the head and add Wil? I know the costume wouldn't match, but a glued on head might be comical too...

http://www.ttrove.com/startrek.htm
    I could see it if it was a Next Gen standee, but TOS/Reboot...I dunno, that might be stretching it a bit too much. Besides, c'mon, half the fun would be taking pictures with/signing cardboard Wesley Crusher complete with AWESOME 24TH CENTURY SWEATER.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Propriety wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    If somebody can get a standee brought to PAX, we should have it set up in Bandland and have everybody sign it, then send it to Wil.

This is the best idea I have ever heard.

There will Wil's customary booth in Bandland... and behind it will just be the cardboard cutout, standing there, beaming, maybe with a PAX Scarf wrapped around it.

Then, instead of lining up to get Wil Wheaton to sign stuff, we can have lines to sign Wil Wheaton.

Oh my goodness the awesome of this is making my head spin.

This must happen. Just tossing in my support for it.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    NerfknightNerfknight Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    That is awesome news!

I see what you did there.

In all seriousness, I was hoping for a chance to apologize for accidentally skeeving out Mr. Wheaton after East last year. Oh well, there's always next year. Although, waiting two years to remind someone of what is most likely a complete non-event might look kinda odd.

Think I'll just let that go...

Nerfknight on
  • Options
    ShaydeShayde Kitchen Staff Supervisor MargaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe the word bubble should say "HIS NAME IS AEOFEL!!!"

Shayde on
    Shayde

Ex-Agent to the Stars, ex a lot of other things too.
    Pax East 2011, 2012 Veteran. 2014 now loading.
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shayde wrote: »
    Maybe the word bubble should say "HIS NAME IS AEOFEL!!!"

This is an excellent idea!

nevermore13 on
  • Options
    ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    it sucks he wont be there. i didnt get a chance to see him at all last year.

I love the standee/poster idea. i'll keep an eye out for it all weekend.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • Options
    bustin98bustin98 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hopefully someone can provide a decent scan or photo of Wesley/Will in the next couple of days, or it may not happen. :(

The Aeofel mention is cool too, though it doesn't really say anything of PAX. The OP should add a poll to the topic, if it can be modified in such a way?

bustin98 on
    Xbox Live, PSN, Twitter: bustin98
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Guys, don't jump the gun just yet, I'm checking to see how doable this is logistically on the PAX end. I'll also look into coming up with a standee. No guarantees, but I'll see what can be rustled up.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, definately wasn't going to do it without some sort of approval, but figured one step at a time :)

bustin98 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    well even if it isnt an official PAX event with a booth and such, just the idea of carrying a standee around and getting shots in different places sounds fun to me. then we could always send the pics with a "had a great time at pax. glad you were there." type message to wil.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • Options
    RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Idea: If nobody can find a Wil standee, someone could buy, like, a Justin Bieber standee and paste Wil's face on it.

Regiment on
    I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

Shayde on
    Shayde

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hopefully Moe can get the go-ahead on this. We could even reach out to Wil for an awesome pose/hi-res picture.

I considered using these guys for my high school reunion.

http://www.partystandups.com/

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, but that's slightly pricey. At least, I don't have that kind of money :P

If we/someone has to go all arts-and-craftsy on this, an 8-bit Cardboard Wheaton is probably the easiest option. Maybe? I'm still hoping that this will, a)get approval and, b)that one of us can find a way to procure/fabricate a standee.

EDIT: Heh, the Justin Bieber w/ a Wil head attached is a pretty funny idea.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You can do it Moe! We believe in you! =)

EDIT: Also, I agree that the 8 bit Wheaton idea is awesome, if someone had the skills of an artist to do it.

Ideally, perhaps combining both: an 8-bit Wesley Crusher in 8-bit Star Trek: TNG uniform. That would rock.

Or perhaps a cutout of a Minecraft character skinned to look like Wesley Crusher in a TNG uniform? It would be difficult to pull off, but it could even be 3-dimensional at that point! That would rock so hard. Just use the skin as a frame of reference for creating the giant cutout, print the skin on some huge paper, cut/paste/tape/build a stand!

... I may be overthinking this. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think you are over-thinking it. 8 bit character... do you think it would be recognizable?

I was thinking it can't be an actual cut-out. There are going to be so many who will want to sign it. There has to be quite a bit of white space so people can put their John Hancock down.

Maybe we'll just use floating head and shoulders, do something creative, make a floating city island out him. And I've used a company called c-4 Designs for posters and vinyl. Could be a cheap thing to do.

bustin98 on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    we have a shop in our mall that sells standees, and when i was there a couple weeks ago they had edward cullen in the window with counselor troy. i'll call them tomorrow and see about wesley.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    Jenga!Jenga! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    gigabrain wrote: »
    Propriety wrote: »
    If somebody can get a standee brought to PAX, we should have it set up in Bandland and have everybody sign it, then send it to Wil.

This is the best idea I have ever heard.

There will Wil's customary booth in Bandland... and behind it will just be the cardboard cutout, standing there, beaming, maybe with a PAX Scarf wrapped around it.

Then, instead of lining up to get Wil Wheaton to sign stuff, we can have lines to sign Wil Wheaton.

Oh my goodness the awesome of this is making my head spin.

So it is written, so shall it be!

or in proper terms, So Say We All

Consider the petition begun!!! SO SAY WE ALL!! <3<3<3
    (I prefer the Crusher/Scarf combo- that Aeofel idea was a nice touch. Not a big fan of the 8-bit)

Jenga! on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh don't let HIM in on it. It's gotta be a surprise or it's nothing! Unless he wanders in here and finds it.

Shayde on
    Shayde

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Staxeon wrote: »
    we have a shop in our mall that sells standees, and when i was there a couple weeks ago they had edward cullen in the window with counselor troy.

Oh gosh, that seems so...wrong! Or oddly apropos, depending on your take on that series. Anywho. *crosses fingers in the hopes that a cardboard Wesley is in existence*

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Okay, here's the word. There will be a standee at East. It won't be for us to sign though. It's the w00tstick standee and can't be defaced. However, we have been permitted to make our own to standee/sign and send to him. So, commence with the planning.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    WEEEEeeeeeee!!!

bustin98 on
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay, here's the word. There will be a standee at East. It won't be for us to sign though. It's the w00tstick standee and can't be defaced. However, we have been permitted to make our own to standee/sign and send to him. So, commence with the planning.

Nice! It needs to be huge though if we are ALL going to sign it.

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    edited February 2011
    We should also plan to have a ream or more of paper available for people to sign if the standee gets completely covered. Also, it doesn't have to be a standee, it could just be a big poster or sign of some sort. Anybody have any good ideas?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd be willing to take this ball and run with it. I'm local to the venue so I could get it there before the masses converge.

I'm fine with fronting the cost for the standee and will take donations if others are interested. We just need to find a good pic of him to use (preferably with plenty of light space and no black for maximum scribble room.)

Moe, should I start a separate thread about this?

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sweet! That's fantastic news! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If anyone has come across a good pic to use, please post it here.

slamonella on
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    An alternate option to signing a standee. We could make cards for each person or group of people to sign, or one huge card for everybody to sign near the actual standee. The card(s) would still have his picture on it in some way, but it frees us up in the type of picture that is used.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Here are the highest res images of Wil that I could find through google
    Yeah, I spent a while looking last night but anything with high enough resolution is either dark or not a head-to-toe shot so they're less than ideal. I may have to go to plan b and contact him directly for a promo shot or something.

slamonella on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    While searching for giant greeting cards, I actually came across this: http://www.lifesizegreetings.com/shop/product.php?productid=19676&cat=292&page=1

fair warning, I have no idea how good they are

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    What about something like this, which gives fair amount of signing space (could be more)?

wil.jpg

Serious hack job in removing the lanyard...

bustin98 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i actually think the pic of him with the pax scarf on is perfect. i mean if we're going for the "you were here in spirit" feel.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here are the highest res images of Wil that I could find through google

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/3248766724_f69fa9a905_o.jpg

Oh man, if we could add another level of recursion to this picture... we should get it on the front of a greeting card, and then give it to the standup to hold, and then take a picture of it.

SO MANY LAYERS. *o*
    While searching for giant greeting cards, I actually came across this: http://www.lifesizegreetings.com/shop/product.php?productid=19676&cat=292&page=1

fair warning, I have no idea how good they are

Why does this company even EXIST?! How do they stay in business?!? XD

--

If we do get a standup, can we get him a PAX scarf and a laynard? People can leave pins and trading cards for him that way.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bustin98: I like that; for some reason I picture that as a never-ending scroll spanning wayyyy off to the right, hehehe.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If only he had his usual smile in the pic with the scarf. I think it would be better to have the Wheaton smile than the PAX scarf given the choice.

And I don't know about never-ending, but 6 - 8 feet, and a whole lot of space on the back-side too. Would have to limit people to just their names, no personal notes. Maybe a quick small sketch if someone thinks that would identify themselves.

Is there an estimation on how many people would sign it? A majority of people who show up? 50,000 people? 25,000? 70,000?

bustin98 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I have an inquiry in to the man himself to see if he has an epic photo he would like used. I have ho idea how many people will want to sign it, but I think signatures only is a good idea. Even very small sketches would eat the space too much. Perhaps a sketch book in addition to the standee for folks who wanted to write something more than a signature or draw something?

A banner or scroll might be an interesting alternative but that would take up a lot of space and require babysitting.

Keep ideas coming folks!!!

slamonella on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is this kinda dead due to impracticality ? Any other possibilities?

bustin98 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not dead yet, still working on it.

slamonella on