Options

PbP maps for cheap as free (probably NSF56k)

HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Critical Failures
Hi folks,

In a lot of tabletop games minis are essential. They let you know where your character is in relation to the others so you can tell when you're set up in such a way that the DM can't kill you all at once and that sort of thing. Also, maps are cool because when they look good they give you a better feel for where your character is, what kind of environment might be around him and that sort of thing. I like using miniature in tabletop games, and one of the tough thing about play-by-posts is it can be a bitch to replicate sometimes. But I have found a way that works pretty well for me and I like it.

I keep getting questions about how I make maps in my play-by-post threads so I figured I'd work up a little tutorial for y'all.

The basic trick is to make layered maps, so that you can move the little "minis" about easily, and save jpegs to post showing where players and enemies have moved. If you already have photoshop or some other program like that you most likely already know what I'm talking about, and its the end of the story.

I don't have photoshop, and don't really want to fork out the cash for it. And I don't want to spend the time or money for mapping software either. So, this is a more frugal alternative.

First of all, bring out The GIMP.

ex1gx1.jpg

The GIMP is your friend. It has some pretty good features and the price is right. Just download and install the latest runtime environment and the application, and you're in like a dirty shirt. The site also has information about using the program and that sort of thing too. I'm pretty much a novice at this sort of thing... there's a lot of functions I don't even use.

Next up is the map. Let's say we're doing a DnD game (if you were doing a Star Wars game instead there are plenty of SW Miniatures fan maps available for download on the intertron as well). If you head to the official Wizards of the Coast DnD webpage, they have many maps there for you to download and use in your games... which is danged neighborly of them. Go to the galleries section of the website and then go to the "Map-A-Week" gallery.

ex2om1.jpg

Here you'll find plenty of maps in sufficient resolution for tracking a PbP encounter. Vampire Lair will do quite nicely. Save the image to your computer and then open it up using GIMP. You'll want to have a dialog window called "Layers" open at all times.

ex3nn9.jpg

The next order of business is to make layers for the characters and enemies that are in your encounter. Use the little new layer button in the bottom left (circled in red) to create layers for each character.

Now, you can make a little "mini" of the characters my making a circle with the circular select button (circled in blue). While working in the relevant layer, fill (circled in green) the circle with a different color to help keep your minis easy to tell apart.

ex4xz6.jpg

You can also use text to stamp the minis for identification too. Use the text tool (circled in red) to create a small text layer in which you can type characters. Then, use "merge down" (selectable by right clicking on the layer you want to merge, or by using the "layer" menu) to merge that text layer into the appropriate character's layer, so the mini and its letter can be moved at the same time.

ex5bo2.jpg

Next, select the relevant portion of your map that you want the characters to see. In this case, the three PC's are walking into a room, so the room and its exits will be visible. Crop the image (the "crop image" command is conveniently located in the "image" menu) then add the appropriate enemy for the encounter. Maybe those chests in the bottom right corner need to be erased too... wouldn't want to give away where the loot is at right away. I decided to take care of them by copying the bottom left corner of the map, flipping it, and pasting it on the right (as you'll see in the final version).

ex6xt0.jpg

Now, you can resize your image and save it! In GIMP, you want to save as a .xcf file. This is its default file type that will keep it layered. Re-save this every time you move the minis, which is easy to do because they're layered and you can just move them around individually without having to re-draw them. Then, when you've got them where you want them, use a "save as" to make a jpeg file from them. Voila! Image is ready for hosting at photobucket, imageshack, or wherever you like to host images.

ex7tr1.jpg

So there it is. One encounter, ready to go. Your PC's will now have a graphical representation of exactly where they are standing when the horrible monster tears them to shreds.

examplemapqg4.jpg

Anyone else with cool ways to do maps to share in PbP games please contribute! I hear google documents is pretty sweet, maybe someone can show us how to do that.

TL;DR - Maps, huh? They're cool and even a less-than-interwebs-savvy person like myself can make them.

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
Horseshoe on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    :^:

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good work, this is how I put together my own maps. The only problem is source material. Does anybody know of other handy map archives that can be chopped up and recombined into useful, useful PBP maps?

One of mine, I like it on account of the tree needing to be added to a street scene after one of my players threw a feather token for some reason.
    BallacheJunctionR3.jpg

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This site has some good, if generic, ones.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You are beautiful.

Thanks! I am a photoshop ninja, so I can handle all the layers and stuff. I was mostly curious as to where you got the maps themselves.

Thanks!

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i just made my first couple maps for a 'PbE[mail]' SW: Saga campaign im running with a couple friends

sims / tboz do not spoil if you are reading this :P
    This is Sniweedo's Speeder Shop, a speeder chop shop run by a rodian on Bothawui.

Ground Floor~
    SniweedosSpeederShop-G.jpg

2nd Floor~
    SniweedosSpeederShop-L2.jpg

Roof~
    SniweedosSpeederShop-R.jpg

My process is basically the same as Horsehoe's, but I use a mix of photoshop & illustrastor. There are 2 things I'd point out that might be useful to you:

1) I've built all the levels of this building in the same document on separate layers. This is good because it lets me use the same 'footprint' for the building conveniently for each floor. I've also placed a flood of white in between each level and then made it partially transparent. That way, say if my PC's are on the second floor, they will be able to see down off the catwalk/grating area to the level below, which makes sense since it's open air. They'll be able to see the storm troopers or whatever is moving around down there, all faded out since it's a level below.

2) If you look at some of the pieces in my maps they are pretty well done. There are also a bunch of simpler objects that i dropped in with little attention to detail. You can download "tile sets" which are basically floater objects for things like barrels, speeders, crates, beds, desks, droids etc etc. It's good for piecing a map together from scratch. Additionally, if you put some time in and create detailed pieces of your own you can add them to your tile collection for reuse.
    There is a tileset on holocron.com called "101 pieces of stuffs" or something, thats where most of the recognizable bits you might see on my map come from.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    My group stole a ship. Now they're parked on Tattoine while it's hyperdrive gets fix'd. I had decided to use the broken hyperdrive plot hook but I let them pick the planet.

And they chose Tattoine. Hopefully my campaign won't suck as much as the Phantom Menace. So here's their ship hangar and their unfinished ship.
    tattoine_s.jpg

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Fucking hell, Anaximander!

Tell us how you made that map!

And don't sweat it... if Star Wars has taught us anything, it is that all roads eventually lead to Tatooine.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    i have that one, it's from holocron, where you told me to go Hshoe :)

most of those little doodads are available in the tile pack you can get there, though.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    True to form, I asked before checking it out myself.

Which could have made me look less the ignoramus.

Alas, I cannot hide my true colors.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    And on another note, some of those guys at The Holocron make damn good maps.

It prompted me to check out the miniatures game, which is actually kinda fun when it's just you and one of your friends who plays the RPG with you and you feel like having a beer, throwing a d20 and don't have the inclination to get too involved with it.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    :) i just like minis, so i bet id like it.

really Hshoe, you should go to DOWNLOADS ----> TILES on the holocron site, get the 101 tiles pack or w/e its called. lotsa nice flavorful doodads.

the secret to the good looking maps doesnt look as much like skill to me as time, nice doodads/flavor, gradients and ground textures. :P

speaking of maps ~ i made an eweb!

e~ small ;p EWEB!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    http://starwarsmaps.blogspot.com/ is where I got them from, personally. Good stuff there. I intend to use as much of it as possible for the online portion of my game.

Just drew the ship on, obviously, with my tablet and the pen tool, and made it transparent so I could see the grid through it.

The ship's a separate layer on the psd file, so I'll be able to copy it and add it to other maps and/or make it it's own map at some point. I'll probably steal those tiles from the holocron to flesh it out. That'd be neat, ya?

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ya!

i would also get the version of hangar94 that has the Falcon in it and steal bits of it to plug onto your ship. :p

E~ what kind of ship? ^___^

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'd guess a Corellian YT of some sort, judging by the shape.

Oh, that reminds me... I should post the map I made of that custom YT-2400 tonight.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's meant to be in the Correllian YT size category, yes. It's supposed to be a hair smaller and faster than some of it's counterparts.

Hshoe: yes pls!

Fading: That's a good idea.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2007
    awesome stuff, horseshoe

you should post some of your hand-drawn maps and what you do to come up with them, the ones you drew for my game were amazing

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gentlemen... I give you... The Idiot-23.

idiot23deckplanzk9.jpg

She doesn't look like much, but she'll do point-five, has two highly illegal blaster turrets, an advanced sensor and stealth package, and engines that can outrun most of your interceptors.

I started with the image of Dash Rendar's Outrider from Wookiepedia, and then I superimposed it with a grid that got it at about just the right length. The furniture and other stuff in there is from a scan of my copy of the RCR Starships of the Galaxy, which I resized to fit the grid size of the current edition.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That is so fucking hot, man. How the fuck do I add that kind of stuff to the ship map I have? I may just outright use that ship instead if you'll let me. It's so good.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Feel free man, I'd love it if someone else got to use it too.

Also, when designing the interior of a YT, keep in mind that the thing that made it popular was how "modular" it was... it had a central core, and a variety of different wedge-shaped pods could fit into it. This made it very customizable, as it was easy to sacrifice cargo space for equipment, bunks, etc.

I designed the "Idiot" to carry a small crew (has a bunk, fresher and kitchen in addition to the usual sparse captain's station) as well as cargo and leave plenty of room for a considerable amount of propulsion in the engineering section.

Bear in mind that ships are going to be necessarily cramped too. I've recently been reading Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brien, and it's amazing how much crew and cargo were packed on sailing ships back then. Spacefaring vessels aren't going to be any more accommodating unless they're specifically designed as high-end space yachts.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If you guys are looking for some non-online unknown-priced ship references, i would recommend stock ships, tramp freighters, and pirates & privateers. you can see some shots of what these books include on wookieepedia now and then, but especially the first two are amazingly good for deckplans like the one Hshoe built. Hshoe, i like yours better than the one that comes in stock ships, that ship looks fucking awesome.

if you dont want to try to used-book / ebay / hunt etc for the books, the links above include at least some of the material.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh, and here's wookiepedia's gallery of ship schematics. Helpful for making deck plans.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    empty spacescape for your pewing pleasure

i intend to 1942 style top-down scroll my gais through a bunch of these someday :)

e~ hmmm too big, fiddling now.

e2~ was CMYK, now is fix \( ._.)/

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Here's one of the maps I made for Rankenphile.

If you guys think it's neat I can post about how I do large-scale maps. It's pretty simple really.
    steelstonenwsmalltj3.jpg

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That map is beautiful. Do share your techniques.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I absolutely cannot do maps at all, and I wish I could.

But that's not just a digital thing. I'm cartographically retarded.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I absolutely cannot do maps at all, and I wish I could.

But that's not just a digital thing. I'm cartographically retarded.

What I'll post is how I go about drawing the maps themselves, the digitalics involved are really simple.

I'll have to make a new map for this... and "Odam" doesn't have enough geographical features for that yet. If anyone has a homebrew campaign area or something they would like a regional map of just PM me and I'll draw it up as an example. Won't be able to do it this week though, sometime between now and Christmas depending upon if my work sends me out of town.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    MahoshonenMahoshonen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would love to see a PbP map for Mordhaus from Metalocalypse

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh shit man that would be like the best dungeon ever.

I'd serpentine if I were you.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    MahoshonenMahoshonen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    I'd serpentine if I were you.

I'd what? Please explain to the uninitiated.

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why would we serpentine?

Serpentiiiiiiiiine!

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I felt like the classy thing to do would be just to post the date of the last response (11-21-2007), but

I mean, this pretty much should be stickied anyway, so necroposting probably wasn't a bad thing

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    someone had a question about making maps in the dnd thread so i linked

i accept full responsibility

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How do you do world maps (if you do them), HorseNEGLECTINGODAMshoe? I am lazy and hate doing them so maybe it's just how I work on 'em.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, I studied geography, soils and ecology when I was in college... so i get a sense of how to place things.

If this is a tough one, I suggest looking at a lot of real-world maps to get a feel for how mountain ranges tend to move across the landscape, how topography affects rivers, where deserts tend to be, etc.

As far as drawing them...

1) Sketch continent, island or whatever it is. Even if you're only really interested in a small part you need the whole.

2) Place your major geographic features. Mountains and areas of unique geology. Rivers. Deserts.

3) Figure out where things like forests and swamps would occur in the big picture. This has a lot to do with latitude as well as several other factors.

4) Scan in your sketch, and open it in whatever drawing program works best.

5) Focus in on that area. Start making more details, small stuff. Like placing your towns and roads. Where are the settlements now? Where would ancient settlements have been if there was, say, and Ice Age that formed the U-shaped valley you're drawing.

6) Name things, Ink it, Erase your pencil marks.

7) Scan the document. Transform your white tones into transparency, leaving only the blacks from your ink drawing.

8) Add color to your map by painting the layer below your scanned ink page.

9) Bask in your intelligent design.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wouldn't it be possible to be a little more quick and dirty and doodle (via PS/GIMP) on top of an existing map?

It probably wouldn't work for giant continent size masses, which would be easily recognizable by everyone, but for town/region sized areas if you just pick a slice of the world everyone isn't already intimately familiar with and use the existing geology/landscape/biome/whatever the hell else.

Just my two bits.

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That'd certainly be possible; I've designed more than one continent that way.

Here's some 8-16MB world maps that could be used (if you get the RAM to load it):

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Whole_world_-_land_and_oceans.jpg

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wouldn't it be possible to be a little more quick and dirty and doodle (via PS/GIMP) on top of an existing map?

It probably wouldn't work for giant continent size masses, which would be easily recognizable by everyone, but for town/region sized areas if you just pick a slice of the world everyone isn't already intimately familiar with and use the existing geology/landscape/biome/whatever the hell else.

Just my two bits.

In this case, it was a custom map that I did for Rankenphile... for a game he never actually got off the ground. It was fun making them though.

But yeah, since I don't tend to do world building or plan shit out (love the "points of light" thing since that's sort of what I tended to do anyway), I would probably use something similar to that method.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If anyone knows how I can do a city map, for a disgustingly large city (think around LA in size, except I'm jamming it into Connecticut), I could really use a little help on that

I suck more ass with maps than is even imaginable.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just found a good resource for map stuff, here is a link for you to click on.

http://rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_view=dynamicalbum.UpdatesAlbum&g2_albumId=19&g2_page=1

e~ maybe not a ton of stuff there it seems, but some of it is good.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2009
    I am using this guide and a bunch of the links right now for my own pbp game here, so kudos to horseshoe and everyone else: this is a fucking useful thread.

Bogart on