As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - OUT NOW! Or something.

Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
star-wars-force-unleashed-banner-2.jpg

You play as the secret apprentice of Darth Vader in the time period between Episode III and Episode IV. After completing your tutelage under Vader, you are sent across the galaxy hunting the enemies of your Dark Lord including a Jedi who has managed to escaped the immediate wrath of Order 66. The game also features the evolution of Darth Vader's character in the aftermath of the death of his wife and serves as a bridge between the prequel and original trilogies.

Well that's all well and good, but what does it play like?

The Force Unleashed is built on a simple concept: what would happen if the Force were to be wielded by someone without any sort of self restraint? The answer is simple: KICK ALL SORTS OF ASS.

-+-

CHARACTERS:

The Secret Apprentice - The player character and savage wielder of the Force.

Juno Eclipse - An exceptional Imperial pilot, she was hand picked by Darth Vader himself to fly the Rogue Shadow, the personal vessel of his apprentice. May serve as a love interest for the young apprentice.

Marris Brood
- A padawan who's master has gone searching for answers, but never returned. Marris and her Jedi Master were in the Outer Rim when the Jedi purge began, but the Jedi Master could feel the great disturbance in the Force. Seeking answers, he left his young padawan. His last transmission revealed that the Jedi had been wiped out by Darth Vader. Marris leaves seeking her master and revenge, but is found by the Jedi Master Shaak Ti.

General Rahm Kota - An old friend of Mace Windu, the General has been in trenches from the age of nine. A gruff Jedi warrior trained by Master Yoda, he would volunteer for the Order's most dangerous missions and never left anyone behind. Respected by his colleges and feared by his enemies, the old soldier barely escaped Order 66 by fleeing the the Outer Rim.

PROXY - A prototype holodroid and the apprentice's constant companion. Advanced holographic technology allow PROXY to assume the appearance of anyone he needs to.

Shaak Ti
- Legendary member of the Jedi Council. Involved in conflicts during the Clone Wars including the epic battle on Geonosis. She has fled the destruction of her people and has found herself on Felucia, where she has trained Marris Brood and the Force-sensitive Felucians in preparation for the conflict with the Dark Lord.

-+-

SCREENS:

(All images stolen from IGN, as if you couldn't tell from the watermark.)
star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20070.jpg
star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20080.jpg
star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20-1.jpg
star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20-2.jpg

Jesus Christ that image screams awesome, or brooding emo, but mostly awesome.

star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20-3.jpg

-+-

VIDEOS:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Trailer

There's an excellent series of videos documenting of the making of the game that is up to it's third installment so far and can be found at the GameTrailers.

The movies below are some really nice vidoes of the game, but I must warn you that there are a few plot spoilers contained within. WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Other videos can also be found on the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed page at GameTrailers here.

-+-

PLATFORMS AND RELEASE DATE:

PS3 and XBOX360 with different versions developed by KROME appearing on the WII, PSP, and PS2. DS and N-GAGE (Nokia's mobile phone gaming service, not the piece of crap "system" they release a few years back) versions are also said to be in the works.

A rail shooter in the vein of Rebel Assault using the Force Unleashed title has also been announced for iPhone.

No PC version has been announced as of yet. Developers claim that the game wouldn't run on enough consumer's machines for the port to be profitable. It would run on many of our (the PA audience machines), yes. But their aim is the mass market, which they would miss.

Release dates are set for:

North America - September 16, 2008
Australia - September 17, 2008
Europe - September 19, 2008

-+-

I WANT THIS SO BAD!

Nothing like a Penny Arcade comic or two to spruce up an OP, right?

First hand account of just what you can do in this game!

[URL="[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/orochired/20080820.jpg[/IMG]"]20080820.jpg[/URL]
I think the Euphoria stuff is really cool, but stormtroopers holding hands is funny "OH JESUS WE'RE GOING TO DIE" "I know... I... I love you man. I always wanted to say, I, I've always loved you" "I know ...I always knew" *SET CUDDLE PHYSICS TO 1"

20080201.jpg

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
Fig-D on

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You should add the other comic as well.

Otherwise, excellent OP.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Force Grab: Buttcheeks :lol:

So, I hear this game has physics!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yay for 3 day Europe delay = HD Tax.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This story has such a blessing among the SW community I will have no choice but to get it.

Demo is fun, for the most part too...so that helps.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    Dis_quietDis_quiet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm looking forward to this one. I saw a video from the demo where the apprentice uses the force to pick up a stormtrooper, hurls his lightsaber at the guy, impaling him, uses a force push to hurl the guy across the room while keeping the saber in the same spot, then calls the saber back to himself.

The idea of going batshit crazy with the force and a lightsaber has great appeal to me.

Dis_quiet on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    You should add the other comic as well.

Otherwise, excellent OP.

Done and done.

Anyone else, I'm always up for suggestions so if you'd like to see any changes or improvements to the OP let me know. I removed the developer interview from over a year ago because a lot of stuff doesn't apply anymore and I want more room to add stuff if I wanted.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, because I am incapable on not clicking on links, I read the Wookiepedia article on the main character for this game and man do I want to play this game even more.

Be advised/warned: It is super spoiler heaven. Go there at your own peril.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just played the demo again and I'm still not tired of it. There's no way I won't be buying this game.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    So, because I am incapable on not clicking on links, I read the Wookiepedia article on the main character for this game and man do I want to play this game even more.

I'm in the same boat.

Also, it is pretty incredible how they managed to basically wrap up everything, including the movies and even the clone wars cartoon.

I get the feeling that if I was a star wars nerd this would be about as essential a purchase as you could find.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want this so bad.

Every gameplay video I see reminds me of the clone wars cartoon, which was awesome.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I haven't read the more recent Force Unleashed spoilers, fuck you guys for making me want to.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I'm in the same boat.

Also, it is pretty incredible how they managed to basically wrap up everything, including the movies and even the clone wars cartoon.

I get the feeling that if I was a star wars nerd this would be about as essential a purchase as you could find.

Well, as a Star Wars nerd... yes, it is.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Don't do it.

If you even remotely like Star Wars you will orgasm all over the plot of the game, assuming it is presented well.

I always bite the bullet on these things though. If I dont my friends always ruin it for me.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh man, it would be so great if there was a new game+ in which your powers are so bloody awesome that bosses are just play things. Imagine just picking up an AT-ST and twirling it around, or picking up a rancor and smashing it into the ground.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like the controls, the camera could be better, but it's infuriating that the lightsaber basically feels like a whiffle bat.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think there is. The menu in the demo has options for lightsaber and costume. I assume once you play the associated mission (which indicates there are 8 missions and 2 variations for both light and dark endings (for a list of the costumes see game informer)) you can equip them whenever. Otherwise why have the option to choose.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Oh man, it would be so great if there was a new game+ in which your powers are so bloody awesome that bosses are just play things. Imagine just picking up an AT-ST and twirling it around, or picking up a rancor and smashing it into the ground.

I'm pretty sure they will.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    osietraosietra __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Not to be a pain, but surely the Force Unleashed is nearer the Buffy game done by The Collective with the difficulty taken out, rather than God of War.

Still the demo is a sweet nugget of gaming goodness.

osietra on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dang, remind me not to pick up that issue of GI, I really want to be surprised by the costume options. So excited that they look like they'll be hot-swappable.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »

Star wars: Ridiculous force powers of doom. In SWRFPD force plays game for you.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    osietra wrote: »
    Not to be a pain, but surely the Force Unleashed is nearer the Buffy game done by The Collective with the difficulty taken out, rather than God of War.

Someone played that?!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    osietra wrote: »

Oddly enough, I just played the Collective's Star Wars game (Episode 3). It was certainly in dire need of some polish, but had some potential in there. Far more focused on lightsabre combat, but I hated the fact that it took forever to kill the droids with your sabre by halfway through the game.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm a noob, where is this demo?

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maybe some mention of the Gamestop return deal should go in the OP, if it's still valid?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    risumon wrote: »
    I'm a noob, where is this demo?

Xbox Live (for Gold) and PSN. Silver Xbox Live members will get it next week.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So what are the new technologies being shown off in this game? I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I'm wary of visiting wikipedia.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20080.jpg

Does he hold his saber with the force?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    Maybe some mention of the Gamestop return deal should go in the OP, if it's still valid?

If it has anything to do with returning popular games or dvds for minimal credit only exchangeable at gamestop, count me out.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As a longtime Star Wars nerd I'm going to break the mold here. Starkiller and all his related story don't do anything for me. In fact, the way his story pans out cheapens aspects of the early Rebellion in my eyes. That, and I think the character design is just retarded.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    NH03 wrote: »

If it has anything to do with returning popular games or dvds for minimal credit only exchangeable at gamestop, count me out.

Basically if you reserve it and pick it up, you have a full week to return it for 100% credit if you don't like it. It's such a bad idea for them to do it on a single-player game, imo.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    As a longtime Star Wars nerd I'm going to break the mold here. Starkiller and all his related story don't do anything for me. In fact, the way his story pans out cheapens aspects of the early Rebellion in my eyes. That, and I think the character design is just retarded.

Wait how does it cheapen anything? I thought it explained very nicely what happened between RotS and ANH.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am kind of saddened I don't actually wtfpwn AT-ST's myself. Just get close and play the button mini game to slice them in half.

Other then that the demo was pretty cool. It will take me an hour to get the throwing controls smoothed out so I can wtfpwn every tie fighter that flys past.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    NH03 wrote: »

Basically if you reserve it and pick it up, you have a full week to return it for 100% credit if you don't like it. It's such a bad idea for them to do it on a single-player game, imo.

Wait. What?

Someone get me a link for this and I'll throw it in the OP for sure. If the deal is actually that good, is still valid, and doesn't require one's soul then that's absolutely fantastic.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game is great, I'll definitely buy it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Knowing what a power house of the force this guy is? Yes.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

He probably uses the Force to pee and wipe his butt when he's on the can. When he's watching football, the Force gets him another beer.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's a nice demo and all but I wasn't as whizz-banged as I thought I'd be.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    He probably uses the Force to pee and wipe his butt when he's on the can. When he's watching football, the Force gets him another beer.

I mean, that's the awesome part of being part of the dark side. No restrictions on using the force, at all.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

He probably uses the Force to pee and wipe his butt when he's on the can. When he's watching football, the Force gets him another beer, or it gets a black eye.

Fixed.

Pow! Right in the Kisser!

Houn on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just realised that in the opening hallway you're in, you could break the glass and everything around there will subsequently be sucked right out into the nothingness......... It looked so beautiful.

Big Classy on
This discussion has been closed.