Options

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - OUT NOW! Or something.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I TRIED to do that, but I couldn't seem to line it up right. :P

Houn on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Took me forever to nail it. I also realised, whilst attempting that, that the enemies being gripped die after a short while anyway. :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What makes me wince with the whole "grabbing another object" thing is that once you fling the opponent away, you have to think that you just dislocated a couple arms and few fingers if you're able to rip them away that strong.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You know what surprised during my last playthrough? The guy grabbed a crate on the floor as I swung him past and the momentum of both of them changed. The extra weight was taken into accountt and istead of him being joyfully swung into the air...... he was holding onto the crate which was sliding along the ground asits so heavy. I was just expecting shit to go 'whoosh' but that was really quite amazing.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i am so glad the demo, the demo for this game is getting such high praise.

you guys who said that it didn't feel powerful enough- I think the point of this demo is that these are the lowest level force powers, so if you can already do all this shit, imagine what you'll be able to do later on.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love the bit in the trailer at the end of the demo where force push just explodes out of the player and smashes heaps of glass and sends dudes flying.

I can't wait to do shit like that to every stormtrooper I come across.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I finally figured out my biggest problem with the demo.

I feel "stuck" in the controls for too long. Combos, force powers, everything I do seems to hold me into it for longer than I want to be there. There's this half-second pause at the end of everything I do that leaves me totally vulnerable, Starkiller just standing there as oblivious as can be.

There is a lot to be said for how fun this is as a physics demonstration, but that problem is really bothering me, to the point where I'm not really having any fun in big melees because I'm constantly frustrated that Starkiller isn't responding as fast as I'd like him to.

Anyone else notice this/feel the same/want to tell me to stfu because we don't tolerate criticisms around here?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I feel the same, though only about the saber stuff. It would be so much better if say, your dash would cancel any combo you might be in.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love the bit in the trailer at the end of the demo where force push just explodes out of the player and smashes heaps of glass and sends dudes flying.

I can't wait to do shit like that to every stormtrooper I come across.

More info on leveling up would be nice

LockeCole on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jebral wrote: »
    I feel the same, though only about the saber stuff. It would be so much better if say, your dash would cancel any combo you might be in.

In terms of gameplay I agree, there should be a cancel (guard?) - but in terms of style I love it. I'll rush a pair of troopers, push one into a wall and tear into his buddy, then whip around and finish the combo on the first one - and with the last strike the Apprentice holds the blade for a moment at the end of its swing, just like a frickin' samurai after delivering the fatal blow.

Stylin'.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So yeah I guess people already know that (Major spoiler I'm pretty sure)
    The main character starts the rebellion?

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's late and I read that as "minor spoiler".

:(:(:(
    :(

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's late and I read that as "minor spoiler".

:(:(:(
    :(

You've seen it you can't unsee it.

But man, at least you weren't reading Wired and all of the sudden they just mention it in passing.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uh.

On one hand I kinda wish I didn't read that. On the other hand, I'm more interested in the build up then the spoiler you posted. Now I just wanna know how.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Uh.

On one hand I kinda wish I didn't read that. On the other hand, I'm more interested in the build up then the spoiler you posted. Now I just wanna know how.

Yeah, I was exaggerating when I said I was sorry I read it.

I'm actually one of the odd people that loves spoilers. I see them as motivators. Hell, that's why I started reading the Harry Potter films instead of just watching the movies. I was like "Whoa, Snape does what now?" and blazed through the books to figure out why and see the buildup.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uh.

Warning: MAJOR FUCKING SPOILERS
    These are from the book, so they may not mirror exactly what happens in the game. But every scene I've seen in screenshots has been pretty spot on in the book so...
    From the book, based on the game, based on a movie that was a prequel to another, much better movie...

The Apprentice get's his ass kicked by Vader early on when the Emperor finds out about him. Lightsabered then spaced... whole nine yards. Then Vader pulls him back in and revives him to use as a weapon against the Emperor. Since the Emperor now believes the Apprentice is dead, they'll have the element of suprise on their side.
    But Vader knows that even with his Apprentice they'd get their asses handed to him by Palpy, so he sends the apprentice out to start up an army to divert the emperor's attention from what Vader and Apprentice are doing.
    Long story short, the Apprentice fucks up some major imperial shit to gain the trust of Garm Bel Iblis, Mon Mothma and Bail Organa to convince them to join forces and start the rebellion. They agree, punch is served, everyone is happy.

Bigger spoilers...
    For about 30 seconds. Then Vader busts in, says the entire thing was a plan put together by Palpantine to root out the people who had the resources and will to start a rebellion and get them in one place and that while he planned to eventually turn on Palpantine, the Apprentice wasn't part of those plans. Vader proceeds to kick the Apprentices ass again, and takes all three rebels above prisoner on the then under construction Death Star. Cue Apprentice kicking ass through the corridors of the Deathstar to free the heads of the Rebellion, who conveniently forget the entire thing and never speak about it again, ever.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wow.

I fucking love that.

A lot.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay.

Fuck.

Yes.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay I guess I have to get this

fuck

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    Uh.

These are from the book, so they may not mirror exactly what happens in the game. But every scene I've seen in screenshots has been pretty spot on in the book so...
    From the book, based on the game, based on a movie that was a prequel to another, much better movie...

The Apprentice get's his ass kicked by Vader early on when the Emperor finds out about him. Lightsabered then spaced... whole nine yards. Then Vader pulls him back in and revives him to use as a weapon against the Emperor. Since the Emperor now believes the Apprentice is dead, they'll have the element of suprise on their side.
    But Vader knows that even with his Apprentice they'd get their asses handed to him by Palpy, so he sends the apprentice out to start up an army to divert the emperor's attention from what Vader and Apprentice are doing.
    Long story short, the Apprentice fucks up some major imperial shit to gain the trust of Garm Bel Iblis, Mon Mothma and Bail Organa to convince them to join forces and start the rebellion. They agree, punch is served, everyone is happy.

Bigger spoilers...
    For about 30 seconds. Then Vader busts in, says the entire thing was a plan put together by Palpantine to root out the people who had the resources and will to start a rebellion and get them in one place and that while he planned to eventually turn on Palpantine, the Apprentice wasn't part of those plans. Vader proceeds to kick the Apprentices ass again, and takes all three rebels above prisoner on the then under construction Death Star. Cue Apprentice kicking ass through the corridors of the Deathstar to free the heads of the Rebellion, who conveniently forget the entire thing and never speak about it again, ever.

Wow, I went to quote that and say "no, fuck you, I'm not reading that" before realizing that when quoting something I'm going to see everything in the spoiler tag. I can't look up right now. I'm staring directly at my keyboard, typos be damned!

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorry about that Fig, hope you where able to avert your eyes in time.

see317 on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    Uh.

Bigger spoilers...

So... let me see if I get this straight.
    Vader creates Apprentice. Vader creates plan to destroy the Emperor with Apprentice. Apprentice essentially sows the seeds of the Rebellion. Vader reveals it was all a trick. Apprentice responds by freeing and helping the Rebellion.

This means that either Vader is a complete douche and ended up creating the Rebellion by accident and caused his own downfall.

Or Vader ended up creating one hell of a Xanatos Gambit, and through creating the Rebellion ended up ultimately succeeding in fucking over the Emperor, and got redemption in the process.

Either way, the entire point is that Darth Vader ended up creating the Rebel Alliance.

I don't know if that's incredibly awesome, or incredibly retarded.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    SO has everyone else found the health aura power up thingy in the hangar type area? I was so pleased with myself for getting up there. I still think they're mad for not allowing surfing.

I assume I've got the right idea, but can't quite figure out how to
    stop the fucking TIE fighters from exploding when I put them down. I'm trying to flip them on their sides so they're platforms, and figure if I stack one on top of another, I've got stairs I can climb up. But the fucking things are more volatile than the damn hindenburg.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well-he is the chosen one.

Balance to the force etc.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know you can keep leveling up your force push in the demo? I leveled up once in that first hanger area and then I found that your little force experience bar still rises... AND it stays at the same level even if you die.

I made it go up two levels in total (I couldn't be bothered replaying it several more times for a third upgrade) and it was definitely more powerful. Totally obliterating those bendy doors :D

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    osietra wrote: »
    Not to be a pain, but surely the Force Unleashed is nearer the Buffy game done by The Collective with the difficulty taken out, rather than God of War.

Still the demo is a sweet nugget of gaming goodness.

Someone played that?!

A few people.

20020902h.gif

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Urgh, I just couldn't take it. I just had to pre-order this game. I fucking love me some Star Wars, and the Jedi Knight series is the shit. I loved them all (except Academy) and this looks like it'll be a fun "spin-off", sorta, just that it's canon. That's exciting

Zilart on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woot, gaming guarantee on a game that doesn't suck!

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So the demo was awesome, I sorta wish it was more like outcast in terms of gameplay but I guess I should of realised it wasn't going to be once you guys said it was like dawn of war. On my first play through I didn't use the combos at all and then on the second play through I I used them, there pretty neat I like how you incoporate the force powers into your combos.

Also holding rebels and imperials in front of tie-fighters is pretty sweet

Dixon on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The only real problems I have with the demo are that, firstly I'd like to be able to move (or at least roll) and block at the same time. I'd hope that's something that gets upgraded as you go, because I only end up getting shot as soon as I release block. Secondly, I find that grabbing things isn't always as responsive as I'd like. I'm stood there, facing a dude who needs levitating, I've got a charge I can use (rather than being drained), he's highlighted and everything, ready to go.. and nothing. Trigger held, dude's still stood there shooting my ass like it's a good idea, and no punishment is being meted out.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    SO has everyone else found the health aura power up thingy in the hangar type area? I was so pleased with myself for getting up there. I still think they're mad for not allowing surfing.

I assume I've got the right idea, but can't quite figure out how to
    stop the fucking TIE fighters from exploding when I put them down. I'm trying to flip them on their sides so they're platforms, and figure if I stack one on top of another, I've got stairs I can climb up. But the fucking things are more volatile than the damn hindenburg.

The Tie Fighters don't actually help there. Its that big ship you wanna jump up on. Remember, double jumping is your friend.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, it does take your character a little bit to get out of his blocking stance and be able to attack again.

Against enemies with machinegun style lasers I found it best to block the barrage and then let go of block and mash Y, because lightning comes out really fast and stuns them. From there I was free to grip them or run up and saber them.

My biggest beef with the demo, though I'm still very likely to get the game, was that it seemed like objects like crates I was force gripping no longer blocked lasers.

Big Isy: To be more specific, double jump to air dash is your friend.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Moving objects (and stormtroopers) in the path of incoming blaster shots does block them. Blasters have ridiculous scatter though so it is hard to gauge the distance unless it is the repeater.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So I just need more practice then, fair enough.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If I could do any of my moves while actually...moving it would be helpful

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought the combat system felt weird because it was trying to be a Devil May Cry where no enemies survived your hits long enough to do any sort of decent combos or tactics or moves. Sort of like a Psi-Ops/DMC game.

These are the cool things I have noticed about the combat - what else has been found?
    The lightningsaber.
    Throwing STs in to flying TIE fighters.
    Mid air lightning
    Explosive barrels
    Charged force push in close quarters with a whole lot of guys

Things I didn't like about combat
    Uselessness of jumping
    " " dashing
    Ease of enemies. I mean I know they're entry level shmoes but it would be nice to know that in the future I'll be facing enemies I have to think to beat. And not just the same dudes but with higher health bars - I mean, Scarecrows -> Frost Wolves -> Blitzs, you know?

Iriah on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The demo is the first level after the Vader tutorial level. It is easy by definition.

There was decent enough variation, 3 kinds of rebel plus turrets plus two stormies. for a meatgrind run and fun level introduction it was decent enough. it cuts off less than a third through that level too.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I found dashing to be pretty useful.

And on the hard difficulty if you aren't paying attention a dude with a machinegun can take you from full to almost dead pretty darn quick.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    how do you initiate the mini-game super finish on the AT-ST?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »
    how do you initiate the mini-game super finish on the AT-ST?

Do enough damage and then just get close enough to it, I think.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.