Options

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - OUT NOW! Or something.

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm perfectly fine with not letting the saber slice people half but what I can't stand is not being able to slice boxes in half. Boxes that get in my way and prevent me from attacking people shooting at me.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm perfectly fine with not letting the saber slice people half but what I can't stand is not being able to slice boxes in half. Boxes that get in my way and prevent me from attacking people shooting at me.

I sliced quite a few things in half in the demo.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Note: this game is 5000% improved by going to options in game and setting both force grip and targeting to Toggle instead of Hold

Makes it much easier to, say, Grip a trooper, lightning him, throw your saber at him and simultaneously huck his electrically charged corpse at some other troopers while your saber is doing it's helicopter of fucking death thing

...yeah my opinion of this game/demo improves every time I play :o

Ledneh on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you do just one careful slash then leave them alone the droids just stay there, cold and lonely, cleanly cut through their middle.

This game made me reinstall academy with a first person mod I found that lets you do everything in first person, all the acrobatics and moves too. Uses the kyle legs and arms from jk2 first person.

It is, fucking trippy. I love it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you do just one careful slash then leave them alone the droids just stay there, cold and lonely, cleanly cut through their middle.

And if you do the Jump -> hold attack = downward slash to cut vertically through a droid, a perfectly straight glowing line appears - horizontally through their middle.

Maybe it just wasn't a good place to showcase the physics.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy shit people.........this is a video game, remember? Suspend your belief and go oooooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh at the fun stuff!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well DMM has been ever so slightly over sold. I find it interesting the cabling can't be cut.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I do think that being able to cut the cables would be great. Especially if there were sparks flying from the cut ends, and the lights flickered before going out in that hallway/room. Except for emergency lighting, which would leave only enough light to still see, but barely. The lightsaber would look terrific, and so would blaster fire. (Think, the Dooku/Anakin at the end of AOTC duel)

I mean, the hallways aren't exacltly long, would be dark only until you get near the next set of doors, there'd be light coming through the "see through" ones, and sudden light pouring through when you force open (no pun intended) the solid doors. Too much to ask? Yeah, probably.

I'm still buying this game day one.:^:

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh definitey, that was just a bit of a crap level to demonstrate DMM, and that DMM itself doesn't go quite as far as I'd hoped.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm really good at the demo. I think I have a knack for chucking boxes into storm troopers and throwing my lightsabre through people.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Throw auto-targets.

Houn on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh definitey, that was just a bit of a crap level to demonstrate DMM, and that DMM itself doesn't go quite as far as I'd hoped.

Well, I think it just comes down to the fact that not all objects in the world are DMM enabled. Atleast, that's the feeling I got. Some of the bulk heads I threw storm troopers into dented amazingly well. Depending on what angle the storm trooper impacts and what body part impacted it left very different dents. The doors also responded very realistically to subtle force shoves.

But then there are objects like the droids that obviously aren't DMM enabled and just have a scripted death animation against lightsabers.

Also, you can set lock on to toggle? Thank god this game just got even more awesome.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Well, I think it just comes down to the fact that not all objects in the world are DMM enabled. Atleast, that's the feeling I got. Some of the bulk heads I threw storm troopers into dented amazingly well. Depending on what angle the storm trooper impacts and what body part impacted it left very different dents. The doors also responded very realistically to subtle force shoves.

But then there are objects like the droids that obviously aren't DMM enabled and just have a scripted death animation against lightsabers.

Also, you can set lock on to toggle? Thank god this game just got even more awesome.

hmm...possibly. I might have to experiment with those dents.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The QTEs and targetting system are the dealbreakers here. Since I can do the one-week thing, I'll probably grab it, but I can see myself getting pissed off at this game pretty quickly.

And while I know it's not realistic to expect it, I wish that for fucking once my lightsaber would cut through something. I understand what's doable and what the game design demands, but I can't stop thinking about it while I'm playing and it really takes me out of the game.

I think the "brawler" approach isn't all that well-suited to the power your supposed to wield. I play a game like this because I want to feel like a badass, not like an idiot wandering around with a glowing baseball bat.

Ehh you know what, maybe I won't even bother buying it for seven days.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    The QTEs and targetting system are the dealbreakers here. Since I can do the one-week thing, I'll probably grab it, but I can see myself getting pissed off at this game pretty quickly.

And while I know it's not realistic to expect it, I wish that for fucking once my lightsaber would cut through something. I understand what's doable and what the game design demands, but I can't stop thinking about it while I'm playing and it really takes me out of the game.

I think the "brawler" approach isn't all that well-suited to the power your supposed to wield. I play a game like this because I want to feel like a badass, not like an idiot wandering around with a glowing baseball bat.

Less Saber, More Force Powers.

That's your answer.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I LOVE how fragile the droids are. For a fun time, grip a Gonk droid up into the air, then gently place him down at a slight angle. He'll slowly tumble over and then EXPLODE into nothingness.

I like to think that Gonks are touchy like that, the slightest shove and BOOM.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »

Less Saber, More Force Powers.

That's your answer.
    I wish that would help. But at the end of the day, the suspension of disbelief is not strong with this one.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is a super fun game, but I really wish I could walk while suspending a stormtrooper in the air. Say, if I wanted to used the first Trooper I come across to bludgeon everything else in my path to death.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OK that option to make grip toggle instead of hold down is awesome. I approve.

Error on
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think I may actually take advantage of the Return for Store Credit deal. After playing the demo I was left with a very "meh" feeling. Definitely want to play through the game, but doesn't seem worth the purchase.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So you're Darth Vader's apprentice... and you fight imperial storm troopers?

I'm hoping we have a choice for sticking to evil and fighting those dang rebellious teenagers with a wookie.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The tutorial/demo mission starts out with Vader saying "The emperor must not know. Leave none alive."

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I'm hoping we have a choice for sticking to evil and fighting those dang rebellious teenagers with a wookie.

You, uh, you skipped the cinematic at the start of the level, didn't you?

Houn on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Uh, what's more evil than murdering everyone on both sides, even your supposed allies?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hilarity ensues.

When you get to the part where Juno tells you Imperial Tie fighters are being deployed walk up to a support beam that arches over the walk way and use the force to push it out as far as you can. Laugh as Tie Fighters hit it. You might get a few good hits in before its bent so far you cant push it back.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Then laugh again when you realise there are about 4 of those beams on the way to your destination.

Error on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Error wrote: »
    Then laugh again when you realise there are about 4 of those beams on the way to your destination.

:D:D:D:D

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Error wrote: »
    Then laugh again when you realise there are about 4 of those posts on every page of this thread.

Fixed. :D

<3

Houn on
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ZING!

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Guys did you see the new, more awesomer QTE on the Developer Walkthrough??

Yeah, I went there.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the QTEs don't bother me too much. I'd prefer they were optional, but this is still a day 1 purchase for me.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So...I just realized that you can open doors by flinging stormtroopers at them until they dent enough.

Hilarity.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I found the controls to be somewhat annoying. It seems more of a pain in the ass to do things than it should be.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just loved fucking with people - take one storm trooper and just move him over his buddies and they all jump and dive away like retarted meercats. I was also just about to post that I discovered the beams in the Tie fighter section... Good thing I read this page at least ;-)

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, in the comic it says the Apprentice grabbed a Tie Fighter throw the window from space, can you really do that? If so, where?

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    you can flip!
    I just found out how. Lock onto a target and then dash backwards to backflip or sides to roll. i''m learning shit all the time.com

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not exactly clear on what makes this Canadian EB deal so great. You buy the game, keep it for a week, and then return the game for a full credit refund. However at such a point you either have to A) re-buy the game with credit or B) not have the game.

I don't see how that amounts to getting the game for free.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not exactly clear on what makes this Canadian EB deal so great. You buy the game, keep it for a week, and then return the game for a full credit refund. However at such a point you either have to A) re-buy the game with credit or B) not have the game.

It's more like renting it for free, except you have to trade in a bunch of money for EB funbucks to do it.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See, that seems kind of silly to me.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    So, in the comic it says the Apprentice grabbed a Tie Fighter throw the window from space, can you really do that? If so, where?

No. Artistic license. You can stack the bombers though. They don't explode and you can make a little bomber pile and jump around on them.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Many people only play a game once, so you buy it beat it then turn it in and get something else. It's not like this fall has any kind of shortage of good games.

bloodyroarxx on
This discussion has been closed.