Options

[DS] Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride in stores now

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
Dq5.jpg

WHO: Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
WHAT: Remake of a storied JRPG classic that's never seen Western shores until now
WHEN: US: February 17; EU: Feb. 20 (already out in JP)
WHERE: Nintendo DS, aka "The JRPG Sex Machine"
MY SLIMES: Let me show you them

I'm going to borrow lovingly from the JRPG experts on GAF, because I've never played DQ5 since, well, it's never been released outside of Japan before.
Yes, party talk is in.

Dragon Quest 5 was originally released for the Super Famicom in September, 1992. It was the first Dragon Quest game to be released for Super Famicom, and is the second entry in the Zenithia trilogy, which includes 4, 5, and 6. After years of waiting, this DS version marks the game's first release outside of Japan.

Dragon Quest 5 differs from the earlier games in the series because it places a heavier emphasis on the plot, which some people may be relieved to hear. The story follows a young boy from the time of his birth, through his boyhood and on into manhood. Along the way, he'll have to choose a bride and have children of his own.

This game also brings monster recruitment to the series, which many believe was the inspiration for Pokèmon. Along his journey, the hero will come across many monsters who will want to join his group and fight alongside him. They can gain levels and wear equipment just like human party members. While extremely helpful, this system isn't completely required, but I do hope that those who are apprehensive about it will give it a fair shot.

This is my personal favorite game in the series, so I hope everyone trying it for the first time really enjoys it!

Some screens:

10r4z7q.jpg2z86uew.jpg24xj3hh.jpg

Extra content from fellow DQ whore KiTA:
KiTA wrote: »
K... Now, MOVIES!
Telphador Tussle
A Return to Zoom
Slime Attack!

I want to know more!
Dustin's Dragon Quest Shrine is probably your best bet, it being one of the oldest Dragon Quest English Fansites on the web. He's been doing some HUGE media updates on DQ5 lately, and if you want to see more, there's the place to go.
* I pinched the Youtube links and hotlinked images (temporarily, until I get to my server) from Dustin's site... Don't kill me!

A close second would be Woodus' Dragon's Den, with the most active Dragon Quest forum around.

What about those Other Dragon Quest Games?
* Dragon Quest 6: Realms of Reverie (NDS) -- Not out in Japan yet. It is unlikely that we will see this title this year in the US, although a US release is confirmed. Another "Lost" Dragon Quest title!
* Dragon Quest 9: Guard of the Starry Night (NDS) -- Not out in Japan yet. Delayed until June. Unless they are doing a simultaneous release, we won't see this one this year -- it is confirmed for US release.
* Dragon Quest 10: In Search of a Subtitle (WII) -- Japan might see this in 2010, but it's more likely a 2011 release. We will probably see it in 2012, as it is a confirmed US release.
* Unknown Dragon Quest Monsters Title: Revenge of the Subtitle (Unknown) -- No clue. The sound artist who works on DQ games accidentally let it slip that this is in the works, but nothing else is known.

I am stupid excited for this, since I'm a certified DQ whore and this game's existence (and my inability to play it) has tormented me for the better part of 15 years. All aboard the Dragon Quest hype train!

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aw shit. Must finish Chrono Trigger before next week!

urahonky on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll be getting this soon after release, I think.
    Would get it release day, but money's a little tight.

And party talk being in is welcome, welcome news.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DQ5 isn't one of my favorite entries in the series (better than DQ1,2, and 7 but worse than 4,6, and 8), but even a so-so Dragon Quest means an awesome game. I'm nowhere near finishing the DQ4 remake though so this will have to wait.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shit. Better sell some stuff or something, because I has no monies with which to purchase this.

Norfair on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am so getting this on release day.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    let's see...
    i think i'm half way through Torneko's chapter in 4

so, that means i'll probably buy this, and never finish 4...

also, this:
    This game also brings monster recruitment to the series, which many believe was the inspiration for Pokèmon. Along his journey, the hero will come across many monsters who will want to join his group and fight alongside him. They can gain levels and wear equipment just like human party members. While extremely helpful, this system isn't completely required, but I do hope that those who are apprehensive about it will give it a fair shot.
    will ruin me.
    i never beat DQ:Joker because i kept catching everything possible and fusing it - regardless of the fact that it was not changing my monsters notably.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Release day purchase for sure. After playing the FFIV remake I found myself missing classic jrpgs. I played, scratch that, DEVOURED DQ4 once it was released. Here's hoping that DQ5 will rock even more! :winky:

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I have a preorder all paid off for this bad boy, and I'm using a different GameStop so I don't know if they might get their shipments in late Tuesday instead of on Wednesday.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never did get around to finishing the translated version, despite starting it probably half a dozen times, so I'll probably give this a shot.

Still crossing my fingers that they don't ugly up DQ6 when they port it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I never did get around to finishing the translated version, despite starting it probably half a dozen times, so I'll probably give this a shot.

Still crossing my fingers that they don't ugly up DQ6 when they port it.

Oh God I agree. None of that Final Fantasy IV graphics please, thanks!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DQIV's 3D is so much better than the FFIV 3D it's ridiculous.
    I'm happy with it being used for VI.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Absolutely agreed.

urahonky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aw crap, I knew there was something I was forgetting. And at a time when I need to watch my money and I'm firmly addicted to TWEWY.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

That, I cannot agree with.

I mean, FFIV's wasn't great, but at least it's fully 3D, and not the combination of ugly sprites and mediocre 3D.

I'd much prefer DQ6 just be left alone, as it's one of the best looking SNES games.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I mean, FFIV's wasn't great, but at least it's fully 3D, and not the combination of ugly sprites and mediocre 3D.

I'd much prefer DQ6 just be left alone, as it's one of the best looking SNES games.

So you hope that Dragon Quest VI DS doesn't use the same engine that Dragon Quest IV DS and Dragon Quest V DS use? Good luck with that! :)

Both the DQ DS treatment and the FF DS treatment are kind of heinous by today's console standards, but honestly I like both of them.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

So you hope that Dragon Quest VI DS doesn't use the same engine that Dragon Quest IV DS and Dragon Quest V DS use? Good luck with that! :)

Both the DQ DS treatment and the FF DS treatment are kind of heinous by today's console standards, but honestly I like both of them.

Yes, I know it's a foolish hope, but I can pretend. I guess I just hope that after two titles, that DQ6 at least looks *better* than 4 and 5.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DQVI was indeed a good looking game for a 16-bit title.

But DQ4 DS is a good looking game so I think DQ6 DS will look fine in that 3D/2D hybrid style.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thank you for putting the party talk thing in bold red, because that's what I was going to ask.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Good for you.

Plenty of us, however, were impressed by how pretty DQIV looked.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The fact that this drops two days after President's Day (a day I have off from work) should be considered some type of sin against nature. I'm going to have an entire day to sit around and wait for DQ5. I hate you SquareEnix, I hate you.

I'm looking forward to this game so much it's ridiculous.

Edit: There's a person out there who thinks that the miserably blocky chibi-Japanese polygon models from FFIV DS look better than Akira Toriyama's artwork? Really? Really?

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Good for you.

Plenty of us, however, were impressed by how pretty DQIV looked.

It was pretty much just a port of the PSX version, which was on the same engine as DQ7, which was the ugliest DQ game ever. That's my problem with it. They took my favorite DQ game and remade it to look like my least favorite one.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    The fact that this drops two days after President's Day (a day I have off from work) should be considered some type of sin against nature. I'm going to have an entire day to sit around and wait for DQ5. I hate you SquareEnix, I hate you.

Edit: There's a person out there who thinks that the miserably blocky chibi-Japanese polygon models from FFIV DS look better than Akira Toriyama's artwork? Really? Really?

What are you talking about? Unless you're referring to the monster art, in which case I might agree. The characters look like shit in DQ4 DS.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

What are you talking about? Unless you're referring to the monster art, in which case I might agree. The characters look like shit in DQ4 DS.

I think the characters look fine in DQ4 DS and fit well in the theme of the game, and they certainly improve on the original NES sprites. On the other hand, since I played Final Fantasy 4 in 1991 (as Final Fantasy 2), it's been ingrained in my mind for about 17 years that these characters should look like their little deformed sprites. I like that style. Changing them to awkward 3D models didn't improve on that, to me. It's all a matter of opinion I suppose, but I don't think FF4 in 3D added anything to the game.

Getting fairly off topic here, so... I'm happy to see DQ5 in the style it's in and will be happy to see the same style used in DQ6. Can't wait!

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Huh guys, can anyone give me the link to the DQ IV thread? I can't seem to find it and I'm pretty excited to read what you PA'ers think about it.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I never thought that a Dragon Quest V thread's first page would be filling with debates over graphical engines instead of the fact that, oh, this is the first time this old-school 16-bit JRPG is actually available in English so we can play it.

Let's start the second page on a nicer note:

DQV "Hero's Path" trailer

And some more description from GAF on the game's monster collecting:
    Tell me more about this monster collection aspect to the game. Is there a poke'-style ranch you keep your monsters at when they are not actively in your party? Do they level up similarly to human characters, learning new spells and abilities, etc.?

Yes, and yes. Monster Grandpa will keep track of your monsters that aren't with you, and every monster gains levels and can equip various things like any human party member. The difference is that some monsters have level caps, or level at a slower pace than others.

... Also, collecting/managing monsters is simple. You don't need any kind of bait or any consumable items to make them join. Just beat monsters and if they're recruitable, there's a chance they'll join your party at the end of battle. If your party is full, they go into the wagon. If your wagon is full, they'll go to Monster Grandpa.

You do get a handful of (permanent) human party members, but not until later in the game. Early on any humans who join you are temporary, until you get married at least. Monsters that join you will join you for life, though. Or until you tell Monster Grandpa to let them loose in the wild.

Lunker on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh man, I still need to beat DQIV (I'm at the very end, just need to grind some for the final boss but I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate grinding so it's taking forever). I'm really glad this is coming over here, I'll probably pick it up too.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The only way to grind in DQIV is the Metal King Slimes in the base of the tower to Zenithia.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm buying my copy of DQ5 so hard that in the storehouse my cartridge has already shattered. I need to buy two now.

Still waiting for them to bring DQ7 to DS. Fuck you haters, I want it. It would be great because nobody would ever finish it.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Huh guys, can anyone give me the link to the DQ IV thread? I can't seem to find it and I'm pretty excited to read what you PA'ers think about it.

Here you go.

Darian on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll hop on this bandwagon once VI comes out. I really enjoyed what little I played of it. Maybe I'll pick up IV when I have more time.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The only way to grind in DQIV is the Metal King Slimes in the base of the tower to Zenithia.

wat

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't know if anyone's been over to the official site, but they're doing a cool little sweepstakes with some pretty sweet prizes (copy of DQ5 DS autographed by Yuji Hori? Yes, please). There's a lot of info on the game too.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

wat

This

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    I never thought that a Dragon Quest V thread's first page would be filling with debates over graphical engines instead of the fact that, oh, this is the first time this old-school 16-bit JRPG is actually available in English so we can play it.

That's not exactly true. This is the first time the game is available in English legally and officially though.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't know if anyone's been over to the official site, but they're doing a cool little sweepstakes with some pretty sweet prizes (copy of DQ5 DS autographed by Yuji Hori? Yes, please). There's a lot of info on the game too.

Sweepstakes entered! The site is looking great too. I've already played through the Japanese PS2 version of V, but am still really looking forward to playing the new DS translation, being the major DQ fanboy that I am.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sweepstakes are US only.
    Pah.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm still convinced that Dragon Quest V is one of the greatest RPGs of all time. I usually play the game at least once a year, though I'd have a hard time dealing with a DS port. I hope that they kept the lightning fast speed of the PS2 battles in the game.

I too am a bit worried that SE will try and "improve" DQ6's graphics. If Chrono Trigger has good enough graphics for a straight port, I don't see what the problem with DQ6 is.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh wow, I didn't even think of them doing a straight graphics port for 6. The game has actually held up remarkably well. I haven't seen any screenshots for DQ6 DS, so it could still be possible. It does seem likely that they'll re-use the DQ4 and DQ5 remake engine though.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    I'm still convinced that Dragon Quest V is one of the greatest RPGs of all time. I usually play the game at least once a year, though I'd have a hard time dealing with a DS port. I hope that they kept the lightning fast speed of the PS2 battles in the game.

I too am a bit worried that SE will try and "improve" DQ6's graphics. If Chrono Trigger has good enough graphics for a straight port, I don't see what the problem with DQ6 is.

See? I'm not alone in feeling this way.

I'm not counting on it though.

edit: Also, still mad about not getting DQ5 PS2 in English.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Ugly Sprites?

Sir, i'm gonna have to ask you to step outside. Them thar's FIGHTIN' WORDS!

KiTA on