Options

Looking for Movies with Twist Endings

RentRent I'm always rightFuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Sooo, yeah. Pretty much states what I'm looking for in the thread title. Stuff like The Sixth Sense and Old Boy.
English language, if possible.

Rent on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Saw movies all have those(I think).

A few others, offhand:

Fight Club
    Lucky # Slevin
    Nurse Betty (sort of, still an awesome film)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Old Boy was going to be my first suggestion.

He Was A Quiet Man is also a good one though.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang..kinda.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang..kinda.

While this is an awesome movie, it's ending isn't so much a twist as solving the mystery.

werehippy on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »

God, I really need to see both of these.

Are we talking about newer stuff? Because if not, both The Usual Suspects and Memento are probably good picks. But I'm guessing the OP has seen both.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Honestly I didn't even think it was all that great. Kind of a pretty standard movie.

Obviously there's The Usual Suspects. But everyone's seen that one.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    Slave DawgSlave Dawg __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Eh.

He Was A Quiet Man had a twist, but it wasn't a very good movie.

EDIT: Beaten.

Slave Dawg on
    This world is a dark, dark forest. And if you open up a man, and look into most of their hearts, you'll find disgust and evil. Your own parents, your mother and father, would slit your throat just to get ahead. And when you find a wife, you watch her. And you don't believe a single word that she says. Because, at the core, people are shit.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    hah, we both made that post at the same time.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Memento.

Although asking for movies with twists seems kinda counter productive to me. Also

Crying Game
    Sixth Sense
    Citizen Kane

noir_blood on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    For something recent, Wanted. Though the main twist happens
    halfway through.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Slave Dawg wrote: »

Eh.

He Was A Quiet Man had a twist, but it wasn't a very good movie.
    Okay, big spoilers ahead:
    The thing you have to realize is that everything in the movie that happens from the dropping of the bullet to the very end is part of an elaborate, delusional fantasy. It's not realistic or believable in a lot of spots and that's actually perfect. It sounds like I'm making excuses for the movie, but it's supposed to be ridiculous at points because it's all in the head of a crazy person. And I think that the way they set up his broken mind is perfect. I found it to be a compelling trip inside the mindset of that sort of individual. But only if you re-consider the movie after having watched the ending.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What Pheezer said reminded me of the movie A Beautiful Mind. (I don't exactly remember if the "twist" comes towards the end or almost at the very end, though).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Planet of the Apes

The original, mind you.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mist, if you're into horror

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Planet of the Apes

The original, mind you.

This doesn't exactly count, given that there might be just about nobody left on the planet who doesn't know how it ends.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Chaos- Ok movie with a twist

Beazle on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

God, I really need to see both of these.

Are we talking about newer stuff? Because if not, both The Usual Suspects and Memento are probably good picks. But I'm guessing the OP has seen both.

God, it's been forever since I've seen the Usual Suspects. Love that movie.
    Never seen Momento, tho'.
    Seriously, though, I'm talking about amy movies with twist endings, not just new stuff.
    Also, I love the Saw series, mostly because of the twist endings. Well, that and the plot(s) too, but that's because they make sense to me (weird, I know).

Rent on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Planet of the Apes

The original, mind you.

This doesn't exactly count, given that there might be just about nobody left on the planet who doesn't know how it ends.

Then say it without spoilers.

I dare you.

I thought the first Saw was good, but 2 and 3 were shit.

Check out Memento, it's a pretty good mindfuck of a movie. Don't know what you've seen, but aside from Sixth Sense and Unbreakable I recommend steering clear of Shayamalan's shit. Even the latter is iffy...I like it, a lot didn't.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The movie Heist with Gene Hackman is a personal favorite of mine.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I was worried this thread was going to turn into "Watch Shayamalan's shit" times a thousand. Luckily though H/A again comes through. :P

Rent on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dark City Director's Cut has a twist, not super major serious, but a twist. Also a great movie. Make sure you get the Director's Cut, they don't spell things out for you as much.

12 Monkeys, great futuristic thriller with Bruce Willis.

Donnie Darko (love/hate movie, you would probably like it)

eXistenZ weird sci-fi crazy shit all over the place. Willem Dafoe, Jude Law, Ian Holm. Very interesting watch.

Frailty - Great movie. Mostly a character piece with Matthew McConaughey and Bill Paxton and some great child actors. You'll like the twist.

I Am Legend Director's Cut. Somewhat of a twist. Added a lot to the film that the original ending just threw in the garbage. Another sort of love/hate.

The Prestige - Amazing, amazing film if you haven't seen it already you need to see it now.

The Illusionist - Twisterific. Funtimes with Ed Norton.

Inside Man - Sort of a twist ending, still a fun movie.

Session 9 - Absolutely amazing horror film, one of my favorites, no surprise monster bullshit, just pure unadulterated atmosphere and storytelling.

Vanilla Sky - A movie I really enjoyed. Character piece with Tom Cruise.

American Psycho - Masterpiece with the fucking Batman.

A Scanner Darkly - Not really a twist ending? Watch it anyway, trippin' ballz.

Apologies in advance for shitty formatting. Wait, I'm too late. Oh shi

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The Prestige - Amazing, amazing film if you haven't seen it already you need to see it now.

The Illusionist - Twisterific. Funtimes with Ed Norton.

Inside Man - Sort of a twist ending, still a fun movie.

All three of these, while not being amazing (as in, must-own amazing), are well worth watching once.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My Dad forced me to watch the Illusionist. I really ought to call and thank him for that.
    Also, is the I Am Legend Director's Cut really any different than the theater version?

Rent on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Rent wrote: »
    My Dad forced me to watch the Illusionist. I really ought to call and thank him for that.
    Also, is the I Am Legend Director's Cut really any different than the theater version?

The ending is significantly different.

Don't remember what else was, if anything.

I disagree that it was really all that much better. Better, to be sure, but probably not enough to warrant a re-watch unless you were in the mood for one anyway.

EDIT: I also may be the only person I know who enjoyed The Prestige more than The Illusionist.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are you serious? The Prestige is one of my favorite movies, but The Illusionist was kinda mediocre in comparison.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are you serious? The Prestige is one of my favorite movies, but The Illusionist was kinda mediocre in comparison.

How could I forget the Prestige considering I own that movie? So good.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Okay, awesome. Out of like ten people I've talked to about both (usually noting the fact that both seemed to come out nearly simultaneously) I was the only motherfucker that liked The Prestige more. Like, a lot more. My wife thinks I'm absolutely crazy...but then, she has a serious thing for Edward Norton.

Then again, she has a serious thing for Hugh Jackman.

Wait. I have a serious thing for Hugh Jackman. He's the kind of dude that makes me question my sexuality.

Anyway, yeah. Awesome movie, and if you're looking to get your twist on while possibly questioning your sexual preference (or reaffirming it) due to the presence of Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale on screen together, look no further.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Prestige definitely blows Illusionist out of the water. And I hate Hugh Jackman. The Fountain (sort of a twist ending on that one too, watch it!) was amazing both because of and in spite of him.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Planet of the Apes

The original, mind you.

Then say it without spoilers.

I dare you.
    Oh my god, I was wrong,
    It was earth all along!
    You finally made a monkey,
    Yes we finally made a monkey
    You fine-ly made a mon-key out of meeeeeeee!
    I love you, Doctor Zeius!

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    BerserkisBerserkis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mission Impossible

The 1st film had a bit of a twist i believe. I kind of forgot the whole movie except remembering that it was pretty cool. I think ill go re-watch it.

Berserkis on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've actually never seen The Sixth Sense.

Some fuckhead ruined the ending for me, and I guess at that point I just had no desire to bother. Maybe I'll watch it someday. I know that it's possible to enjoy a movie with a twist ending that you've already seen, because I've rewatched quite a few movies in this thread and enjoyed them.

But then, at that point you could be re-experiencing some of the feelings you had the first time, when it was revealed to you. I'm just not sure a twist ending will really satisfy on a first viewing if you already know it.

I've collected evidence to support this, in that I saw the ending of The Village coming after about six minutes, and thus the reveal was a gigantic yawner. But then, that was actually just a horrid movie as well, so it's hardly conclusive evidence.

What say you, denizens of the twist ending H/A thread? Should I watch The Sixth Sense?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    BerserkisBerserkis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes Sixth Sense is a good movie. The twist at the end was also Huge! Too bad it was ruined for you.

Oooo how about "The Matrix" That had a twist in it. I remember not hearing about it at all when it came out and went into the film knowing absolutely nothing. No trailer, gossip or anything. I think I may have been living under a rock that year. That 1st movie blew me away.

Berserkis on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Rent wrote: »
    Never seen Momento, tho'.
    Memento has a twist in it about once every 15 minutes. The fun part is that you KNOW how the story ends because it shows you the end of the movie at the very beginning. But you don't know why it ends that way until you sit through the rest of it, and the reason is entirely different than what is given to you at the beginning (erm, the beginning after the end... at the beginning).

It's a fun movie that's well worth renting.

Anyway, my contribution... umm...

The Empire Strikes Back!

What? What? *grin*

EDIT: Oh, this reminds me of a fake commercial that was played during the credits sequence of one of the You Don't Know Jack games. It was called the "Movie Ending Hotline" and it had chatter in the background that would randomly say endings to movies with twist endings while selling you the hotline product. Things like "Kevin Costner is the Russian Spy."

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Game? With Michael Douglas. That one was twisty from what I remember.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Throwing in my votes for Fight Club and Memento and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Although as was stated KKBB isn't really a twist. But it's fucking hilarious.)

I -guess- you could watch History of Violence. It's kinda twisty. I also thought it was garbage, but some people liked it, apparently.

Oh. And Reservoir Dogs. If for the simple reason that it's awesome. (The end is more of a solve, like KKBB, but still.)

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thylacine wrote: »
    Jesus that movie was twistacular. I wasn't really a big fan, but if you like twists, all your dicks.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Jesus that movie was twistacular. I wasn't really a big fan, but if you like twists, all your dicks.

You know how the Saw films (at least the later ones, the first was good) and some others are all about violence for violence's sake?

The Game is the Saw of twist films.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

You know how the Saw films (at least the later ones, the first was good) and some others are all about violence for violence's sake?

Yo dawg I heard you like twists so I put a twist in your twist so you can blow your mind while you blow your mind.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    JAEF wrote: »

Yo dawg I heard you like twists so I put a twist in your twist so you can blow your mind while you blow your mind.

By the end it descends into utter absurdity. But twisty utter absurdity.

Still, I enjoyed it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Planet of the Apes

The original, mind you.

That's what you assume, but then you run into people who have never even HEARD of the damn movie before.

It is my dream to one day meet someone who has never even heard of Alfred Hitchcock and watch their expressions as we watch Psycho together.

Oh, speaking of... Psycho has several awesome twists in it.

DarkPrimus on