As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered

Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
Hey guys,

So I was recently playing Champions Online and the video in the game started glitching out and then it crashed and I got this error "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered"

Since then, I've tried running 3d mark as well and it happens in it as well.

My video card is a GeForce GTX 280 and i'm running Vista 32 bit. No overclocking of any sort done.

It wasn't happening at all, then a nasty virus caused me to go ahead and reformat my computer and start from scratch. After the reformat and installing the latest nvidia drivers, I started getting this error. I don't think it's a hardware issue (though I still have a warranty on the card, so i'll likely RMA it), because it wasn't happening until after the re-format.

I've tried just about everything I can think of. I've installed previous versions of the drivers, completely updated Vista to all the latest patches and SP2.

The only thing I can think of, and this isn't always the cause of it happening (though it does seem to happen every time this happens), the fan on the Card will get fairly loud, then seemingly go idle, and then when it sounds like it's revving up again the game will crash with the error. I've monitored the GPU Temp and it doesn't seem to get any higher than 70-75 C

Any ideas? I know this error is pretty ambiguous and could be a number of things, but i'm out of ideas.

edit: one thing i forgot to add, when it locks up, alt tabbing out of the game and back in seems to temporarily fix it.

...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
Death Cab For Albie on

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey guys,

So I was recently playing Champions Online and the video in the game started glitching out and then it crashed and I got this error "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered"

My video card is a GeForce GTX 280 and i'm running Vista 32 bit. No overclocking of any sort done.

It wasn't happening at all, then a nasty virus caused me to go ahead and reformat my computer and start from scratch. After the reformat and installing the latest nvidia drivers, I started getting this error. I don't think it's a hardware issue (though I still have a warranty on the card, so i'll likely RMA it), because it wasn't happening until after the re-format.

I've tried just about everything I can think of. I've installed previous versions of the drivers, completely updated Vista to all the latest patches and SP2.

The only thing I can think of, and this isn't always the cause of it happening (though it does seem to happen every time this happens), the fan on the Card will get fairly loud, then seemingly go idle, and then when it sounds like it's revving up again the game will crash with the error. I've monitored the GPU Temp and it doesn't seem to get any higher than 70-75 C

Any ideas? I know this error is pretty ambiguous and could be a number of things, but i'm out of ideas.

edit: one thing i forgot to add, when it locks up, alt tabbing out of the game and back in seems to temporarily fix it.

This could be a driver issue, possibly a corrupted install or some such. I'd recommend uninstalling your current drivers, and running driver sweeper in safe mode to remove all traces of it. Afterward, install whichever drivers might be best. I know you said you've installed previous drivers, but you may have to go way back.... I found that only the 186.XX series of drivers gave me good results. Also, you might try the beta drivers.

Edit: Even if you don't have an EVGA card, this is a pretty good troubleshooting guide.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hey guys,

This could be a driver issue, possibly a corrupted install or some such. I'd recommend uninstalling your current drivers, and running driver sweeper in safe mode to remove all traces of it. Afterward, install whichever drivers might be best. I know you said you've installed previous drivers, but you may have to go way back.... I found that only the 186.XX series of drivers gave me good results. Also, you might try the beta drivers.

I've tried using DriverSweep and it didn't seem to help, I'll try going back to the 186.xx drivers

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, so going back to the 186.xx drivers has shown some progress. I was able to make it through 3d Mark 06 with only one graphical glitch, and it didn't shut down the test and give me the nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered error. Champions Online worked without giving me that error, but it did lock up to the point where I had to do a hard reboot though after playing for about 20 minutes.

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The bastard returned. Damn.

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Its probably dead, had this happen on an 8800 of mine with the exact same kinda of thing. Would boot up and run, get some graphical glitches, and then crash with that same message. I think it was the ram that finally died, cause it seemed like it was memory corruption kind of graphic glitches (parts rendering okay, while other spots not).

It's not an overheating issue either at this point for you, one the ram/processor frys a bit inside, nothings going to fixit.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Velmeran wrote: »
    Its probably dead, had this happen on an 8800 of mine with the exact same kinda of thing. Would boot up and run, get some graphical glitches, and then crash with that same message. I think it was the ram that finally died, cause it seemed like it was memory corruption kind of graphic glitches (parts rendering okay, while other spots not).

It's not an overheating issue either at this point for you, one the ram/processor frys a bit inside, nothings going to fixit.

While it's certainly a possibility, i'm still not sure it's dead hardware yet given the circumstances in which it started happening.

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ah well, just gonna RMA the card and hope that fixes the problem.

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sorry, one more question.

I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450

and according to CoreTemp, when idle, they are running at anywhere between 45-55 C

Is this too high?

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had this problem with an HP laptop, card is shot, the only work around I found was someone created a dummy sys file that would only use the default drivers.

RMA that bad boy, wish I could of done the same but on-board video is a bitch.

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo