As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    heels wrote: »
    Pool on the roof must've sprung a leak.

<3

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    50 More Trash50 More Trash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't see why they'd open the queue room that early on Friday... 4 hours of lineup is insanity (just to get into line for your bag and then hop over in line for the keynote, 'what did you do today?' 'I waited in line for 5 hours for Wil Wheaton')... people can wait outside or something...

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pool on the roof must've sprung a leak.

and what did we learn in school today?

revenge.

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I see you are new to PAX.
    I don't see why they'd open the queue room that early on Friday... 4 hours of lineup is insanity (just to get into line for your bag and then hop over in line for the keynote, 'what did you do today?' 'I waited in line for 5 hours for Wil Wheaton')... people can wait outside or something...

If you just stand in line and not talk to or play games with anyone then you are doing it wrong. :P Half the fun is talking to everyone else there whos excited for PAX and to throw down on some DS games.

The queue room in the morning is also to get into all of PAX, not just the keynote.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    speaking of waiting in line 5 hours for wil wheaton...quick question about "Line Etiquette" (and about swag)

If we’re coming in a decent sized group (somewhere between 4 and 6 people) and are planning to wait in the queue room (and then again in the keynote line) what’s the feeling on having one member at a time from your group peel off to go explore the expo hall while the rest of the group waits? Is it considered bad form, or are people generally cool with it?

and as a follow-up, is all the exhibitor swag generally gone in the first few hours of the con on Friday? Or do companies spread it out throughout the hours/days of the weekend? I heard about prime09 being a t-shirt fest and got kind of excited about it (I can always use more t-shirts), but I am sort of afraid I’m going to miss out on all the swag with 5 hours of line waiting followed by 2 hours of keynote/panel...

any tips for a first time pax-er are appreciated!

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Curse my PSP! Curse it all the heck!

New to PAX yeah, but not new to cons... I am well aware of the fun of lineups... I'm also probably bringing along my deck of Chez Geek since its easy to learn and if we're all not going anywhere for a while...

@browncoatbeth: Even if we weren't talking about Hackers I still would've though 'Hackers' before Ginsberg reading your sig... to make matters worse I was an English Major! My profs would be ashamed! But damn I love that movie.

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    People cutting in line at cons is stupendously annoying for the people behind, especially in a big line.

That being said there's a few loopholes you can use to avoid glares:

1) Tell the people that you're going to be a few people in advance.
    2) Don't hold places for more than like 15-20 minutes.
    3) Have your whole group there first, then have some people come and go if they have to.

That being said, if its a close-knit line up that's double backing on itself, I would say all place saving bets are off, nobody is gonna be happy with 3-4 people shuffling awkwardly through the queue, bumping into people, disturbing card games, etc.

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They usually spread out swag. Plus most places don't just liberally hand things out to anybody whos passing by. You usually have to talk to and interact with the people at the booth to get them to give you something.

Exhibit hall doesn't open until 2pm on Friday so your 4h of lining up before then wont really mean much as far as losing swag.

Also: Swag isnt everything, don't expect to be carting a wheelbarrow full of free stuff out of expo.

BigRed on
  • Options
    SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    speaking of waiting in line 5 hours for wil wheaton...quick question about "Line Etiquette" (and about swag)

If we’re coming in a decent sized group (somewhere between 4 and 6 people) and are planning to wait in the queue room (and then again in the keynote line) what’s the feeling on having one member at a time from your group peel off to go explore the expo hall while the rest of the group waits? Is it considered bad form, or are people generally cool with it?

and as a follow-up, is all the exhibitor swag generally gone in the first few hours of the con on Friday? Or do companies spread it out throughout the hours/days of the weekend? I heard about prime09 being a t-shirt fest and got kind of excited about it (I can always use more t-shirts), but I am sort of afraid I’m going to miss out on all the swag with 5 hours of line waiting followed by 2 hours of keynote/panel...

any tips for a first time pax-er are appreciated!

In general most vendors try to spread the goods though sometimes they may have something unique for each day. I also noticed they gotten better about not using up all there stuff friday.

In regards to waiting in line for keynote. hoping out of line to use the restroom is ok as usually there's one in the que room. Though since we count people in line if you leave the room your not guaranteed to get back in. Finally follow wheatons law (aka don't send your friends to wait in line and you show up and hop in line with them 20 min prior to being let in)

Singollo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    cool. thanks for the responses, guys. yeah, i was figuring we'd all show up together obviously and only send one person away at a time and only for short stints (also for bathroom breaks if necessary). also, it's probably a good idea to ask the group directly behind if they mind if we follow said system, and offer to be as accomodating to them. good point though 50MT, about not trying it if the line is snaking back on itself. also, all good info about swag bigred and singollo - certainly not the point of the con for us either, otherwise we wouldn't be planning hours of line waiting for wil! ;) thanks again!

also, 50MT - hackers is not just a great movie, its an epic keystone of nerdity. i love it to pieces, and can probably quote every line at this point! :)

browncoatbeth on

• Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm part of the Late Nite Jengajam podcast, and we're really excited about PAX because for the first time in 2 years, we're going to have our whole cast in the same place at the same time.

That said, we wanted to record a special show with all of us in the same room, plus any guests that we can persuade to be on the show after meeting them at PAX. To this end, I was wondering if there were any relatively quiet areas around either the convention all or the Sheridan hotel that we could set up some a laptop and a couple of mics, and just hang out while recording relative peace at around midnight on Saturday night. We'd like to stay as close to the convention center as possible, in order to make things easier on any potential guests or visitors we might have.

Any help or advice you could give us would be fantastic. Thanks!

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you PM Moe Fwacky he might be able to get you into the pre-Queue Queue Room.

Or maybe the pool that's on the roof.
    oh shits, we're doin hackers references? ok: "Spandex: it's a privilege, not a right"

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Yo, I'll bet it looks crispy in the dark."

To this day my friends and I often say this whenever one of us gets a new handheld or monitor.... and naturally, turn the lights off.

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To everyone making hackers references, I can not express my love for you enough.

And it's hard to get me to love someone, Difficulty rating: 7

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We now return to the regularly scheduled FAQ topic. :x

BigRed on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2010
    I don't recall making you a moderator here Red.

Tube on
  • Options
    HicksHicks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't see him doing anything a normal user wouldn't do.

Hicks on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you're really into swag for some reason, make sure to hit the expo hall on sunday. The booths will be trying to dump all their leftover swag before expo hall closes for the last time. They will be throwing things at you.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    awkookawkook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What is there to buy at pax? Things like hats, shirts, ect? Or is there nothing?

awkook on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PA always has their own merch booth with all the same stuff that's in their online store. There may or may not be a couple other booths that will sell a couple things. For example, the behemoth was selling their castle crashers figures at PAX 09.

But I wouldn't expect there to be a whole lot of merch besides the PA booth.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There may also be some sort of "PAX exclusive" thing like the 08 razer mouses (that's the correct plural for a computer mouse) and the headphones last year.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Can't imagine some of the non-computer game developers (like Steve Jackson) not selling some of their wares...

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ok question for admins...

my friends and I were late to register for the 3-day passes... when we went to get them they were sold out. All of us were able to get our own red 3-day pass either from the "have a ticket / need a ticket" thread here, on ebay, and two of our guys won their 3-day passes at a LAN center in NY for winning a L4D2 tournament there...

Basically, we ALL have a red 3-day pass in our possession. is there anything else we need to get into pax?

thr4sher on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nope, you're set.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    There may also be some sort of "PAX exclusive" thing like the 08 razer mouses (that's the correct plural for a computer mouse) and the headphones last year.

nVidia hinted that you may be able to buy their GeForce 480 GTX (and 470) video cards at PAX. They're publicly releasing the products there on Friday.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    niteflyxniteflyx Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I still have not receieved my badges via the mail and ordered my 3-day pass in January. I cannot find -any- contact on the site regarding ticket issues, and getting worried at this point. I don't think I ordered badge "pick up", but it's possible. Anyone know of any contact for this sort of issue? Worried! Thanks!

niteflyx on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shoot pax_questions@paxsite.com an email with your name and badge information, I'll take care of it there!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    niteflyxniteflyx Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Shoot pax_questions@paxsite.com an email with your name and badge information, I'll take care of it there!

Thanks!

niteflyx on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2010
    Hicks wrote: »
    I don't see him doing anything a normal user wouldn't do.

Metamodding is against the rules. A normal user would get infracted. Red did not, because he is Red. If you have a problem with an administrative action, use the PM function to air it. It saves the thread going further off topic.

Tube on
  • Options
    ian.samuelian.samuel Washington, DCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

What particular badge information do you need? I just emailed you and attached the PDF of my registration confirmation; I hope that's alright, because I too am still missing my 3-day badge ordered in January. Thanks in advance for your help.

ian.samuel on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can't imagine some of the non-computer game developers (like Steve Jackson) not selling some of their wares...

They will be on sale, just through at someone else's booth.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Last time I spoke with the guys from Steve Jackson I was getting info for my review of Cthulu Dice, and they mentioned the game would be shipping in April, but that advance copies would be for sale at PAX East.

I highly recommend picking up this up on Friday as it is a 5-10 minute dice game perfect for a quick diversion while waiting in lines.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    insidiousinsidious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Same boat as ian.samuel and niteflyx, also emailed them and attached my PDF. Hope this works! I really would like to go, y'know.

insidious on
  • Options
    Terrawalker25Terrawalker25 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    So I haven't received my badges yet. I live in Boston but can't get packages from anything like fedex or ups (mailboxes are only accessible to usps). How did they send out badges? If they were sent out via fed ex or ups is it possible pick them up at the show?
    If this isn't the place to ask, who should I talk to?
    Thanks...

Terrawalker25 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Will the will call be open on Thursday night like it was at prime?

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Yes. I forget the exact times, I want to say 6-11pm though.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    even better: Thursday registration noon-11pm!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    8am is correct!

Doors at 8am daily? I have to go to the will call to get a pass and figure out what I'm going to have to do about wheelchair daily, so trying to plan best time to arrive.

Also, will there be hand sanitizer stations around to help prevent an outbreak? I'll probably bring my own small bottle too, but would be good to know. Thanks

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
This discussion has been closed.