As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making movies, and getting started

WashWash Sweet ChristmasRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I find myself in a weird situation. My passion is film, and making them is how I intend to spend the rest of my life. Unfortunately, the schools in my province don't seem to picture me doing that, and for three years running I haven't been able to land a spot in a University/College film program. A big part of the problem is that my portfolio isn't very impressive. Every school I've applied to has asked for photographs/graphic art/video clips, whereas I am more of a screenwriter, not a photographer, and I'm useless with photoshop so graphic art isn't happening. The shorts I have made I made during highschool, which is where they were lost. I'm not too bothered by this, because I can always make more - of better quality, since I won't be restricted to filming in one hallway of a highschool.

Now for the reason I'm posting here: I can't film anything without a camera, and I can't edit anything without the right programs. For the life of me, I can't remember the cameras we worked on back in highschool, but I do remember that they were cheap and just far enough from being bottom of the line that we could get the job done almost adequately. For editing, we worked on Macs, and I own a PC.

What I'm asking for is camera and editing program recommendations, and also, books on making movies. Like I said, I'm not taking a post-secondary course on film making, and if I can't be in the class room, I can at least read through a text book. Also, if anyone has any experience with dealing with trying to build a great portfolio, I'd love to hear how things went down. Last, and, I guess, least, I've watched a lot of movies but I'm starving for more. I don't want movie recommendations, but if you folks could name some good books about films or the film industry, that would be awesome.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
Wash on

• Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't have any recommendations for cameras and such, but if you're more into screenwriting, isn't there programs (I'm thinking writing programs or possibly Drama) that would accept you based on your screenwriting portfolio?
    It would get you into the school, which would then allow you to get involved with student film making groups and possibly take some film making courses.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you're into screenwriting more than visual stuff then you want to be a writer, not a filmmaker. Focus on writing. If you actually do want to make movies, then you should start paying attention to what those programs require instead of saying "I only write scripts."

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't have any recommendations for cameras and such, but if you're more into screenwriting, isn't there programs (I'm thinking writing programs or possibly Drama) that would accept you based on your screenwriting portfolio?
    It would get you into the school, which would then allow you to get involved with student film making groups and possibly take some film making courses.

Oddly, the programs I've checked out, they've been at schools where you either go in for production or critiquing. Screenwriting is available as a class under the production program, which I can't get into without a portfolio that doesn't ask for writing samples. I looked into creative writing programs, but they weren't available for first year students. That route I tried, which had me at a school I hated, in classes I despised, resulted in me (unofficially) dropping out. It was a miserable year, and I contribute a lot of that to me not studying my passion, and not directly working towards my goal. I've got a year off now to work on actually making short films to put into a portfolio.

I'm not asking for advice on what path I should take - I have that down. I just need help walking the path.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You should collaborate with people who want to be directors, cameramen, editors, actors, etc. Then you can include the completed work in your portfolio and say, "Hey, I wrote this."

You should also be writing screenplays and scripts, if you haven't done so already.

Try to network with people who make short films for whatever reason. You can sometimes find people in your area via craigslist.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well I'm not sure what kind of cameras you are looking for but I personally recommend the Canon HV20/30/40 series if you are looking in the high definition consumer/prosumer range. I own the HV30 with a wide angle lens adapter, and its pretty sexy. The camera has tons of functions to play with, and the quality of the image can be phenomenal. There is also a forum dedicated to these cameras: http://www.hv20.com/

One note about the HV20/30/40 is that it only shoots in interlaced. It has a 24p cinema mode..but its not true 24p. Can't remember how to explain it at the moment, but if you follow the above site, there are threads on how to convert to actual progressive frames.

If you're looking more in the $2000-5000 range, I hear the Panasonic DVX (standard def) and HVX (high def) series are great cameras for their price. They work in 24p, and real progressive scan.

For PC, your best bet program-wise would be Adobe Premiere, since Final Cut (which I personally reccommend) only works on Macs.

Like you, my passion is film, and I am actually finding myself in a similar situation right now. I haven't been following it too closely lately however, so my advice might be a little off.

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What province do you live in?

I took a TV course in college, and for our third year we produce "films". (Quotations only because we don't actually use film.)

All of the scripts were written by students of the course, and there is a class for it if you are interested. I loved it, the class was awesome, the entire course was awesome, and it really lets you network. That said it does focus mostly on the TV aspect, and not really much on the film aspect.

From what I have heard working with people in the industry is that film school is for suckers. Unless you are going to VFS, don't bother taking film. It costs retarded amounts of money, and it ends you up no where.

The craigslist idea is good, but expect to work with people who have little to no experience. The company I worked for hired camera people from there, and they were terrible. I mean, fucking TERRIBLE. But there are people who know how to work on there, they are just hard to find.

Networking is the thing you need to work on the most. It is so true, its not what you know its who you know. I have worked with some super talented people, who are shooting weddings and soccer games, only because they don't have a network to pull from. Hell, I am now working at a fucking call centre, because I don't have a network either.

Cameras are obviously integral to making movies, but on a shoestring budget, picking the right camera can be difficult. This is what I used in school, and I loved it. Its tape, not compact flash, if thats an issue. Its relativly inexpensive but if you have a little extra cash, you might want to go with this.

Editing systems. Adobe is...well its ok. Its like a wussy version of Final Cut. Unfortunatly, FC is only on the Mac. Which, if you are serious about breaking into the film industry, it wouldn't hurt you to have. You could go with Avid, but unless you are well versed in editing software, will be super frustrating to figure out. But Avid is the industry standard. Adobe will suffice though, just save EVERY FIVE SECONDS!

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Oddly, the programs I've checked out, they've been at schools where you either go in for production or critiquing. Screenwriting is available as a class under the production program, which I can't get into without a portfolio that doesn't ask for writing samples. I looked into creative writing programs, but they weren't available for first year students. That route I tried, which had me at a school I hated, in classes I despised, resulted in me (unofficially) dropping out. It was a miserable year, and I contribute a lot of that to me not studying my passion, and not directly working towards my goal. I've got a year off now to work on actually making short films to put into a portfolio.

I'm not asking for advice on what path I should take - I have that down. I just need help walking the path.

In that case, are you in Canada? The Council for the Arts, at both the provincial and federal levels practically gives its money away with relatively little effort. There's an application process, but when you're ready to actually start production, you can potentially get a nice grant to help with costs.

From there, once you have a produced item, put it into a small film festival, as it's good exposure.

Also, depending on where you live, there's likely a film makers group. I can't remember what the one in Edmonton is called, but they're supposed to be fairly good for networking with others, especially when starting out.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Buy a flip cam, write down some words, and start shooting, put it on the internet, show it to friends, family, and keep at it.

Also, if you have netflix, see the movie "American Movie" It's required viewing for any would be film maker.

ANTVGM64 on