As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CON PLAGUE!

• Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    D: Sorry to hear that, Beryllium...

Here's hoping that PAX09 won't be a huge outbreak of swine flu >.>
    If you don't get better too fast it's always best to get your illness checked for flu or H1N1 flu.

Or you know, just start an epidemic. Why not? Seriously though the tests are quick and a little searching can probably find you a legit clinic close by that will do it for a low cost.

Oh right... har har har swine fluz. (It can only be so funny when you live in and next to counties with swine flu fatalities, I regret all my swine flu jokes made at PAX and blame it on the booze.)

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    Wolf52525Wolf52525 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Paxflu hit me hard Saturday night during the wow tourney which lead to our downfall in top 4 which did not get going until 2:45AM, which makes me think lack of sleep really lead to me being too rundown to fight it off. Could not stop shaking. Got back to the hotel and passed out. Sunday was awful. Was running a fever, with uncontrollable shaking and coughing. Had to leave PAX early because I was getting worse. Spent 24 hours in bed. fever has finally broke but the cough just wont quit, feels like there's a pound of crud in my lungs, its pretty horrid.

Wolf52525 on
  • Options
    fishpondbubble07fishpondbubble07 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm also sick as of this morning. Been coughing like crazy-- also have a runny nose.

One of the other guys in our group started feeling sick Saturday night, and it got really bad Sunday morning. He actually had to leave PAX a little early.

fishpondbubble07 on
  • Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am sick of not being sick. Pax East needs to come soon so I can catch some Pax Pox

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was sick from Friday til now. It started with a cough, and a bit of stuffiness, but it seemed to come to a peak when I was feeling nauseous at the Cheesecake Factory at the NooBToob Post PAX meetup, when I could barely eat, and had to leave early because I felt like I was going to puke. I was sitting in the middle of a long table against a wall, so going to the washroom every five minutes was not an option.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    datadamagedatadamage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Look, people... this may be common sense, and I know you really, really didn't want to miss any of PAX, but if you get sick with the flu, DON'T GO TO A CROWDED CONVENTION HALL FULL OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE! You are just going to get lots more people sick.

datadamage on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh! Forgot about the night sweats! Uncontrollable sweating whether hot or cold... Absolutely worse thing for me. I can be throwing up or running a fever and not care, but the sweating sucks! If I wake up just once in the night I am screwed because then I realize I am laying in wet cold sheets and my pillows are damp and the bed is damp and I can't sleep like that damn it! :)

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    CalyaCalya Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I'm sick too. Definitely calling in sick tomorrow. For those of you taking 800 or more mgs Ibuprofen for fevers I did the same thing with pneumonia last year and that will WRECK your insides. If you can't keep the fever down with a regular dose, cool showers and drinks you need to see a Doctor. DON"T take 800mg or more over and over again, like I did.

If this really is the swine flu, which it does kind of sound like most of us wouldn't receive antivirals without extreme symptoms. So we kinda just gotta get through it. The fever is probably the hardest part. Here is a description from WebMD about fevers. My plan is to go home to bed, take an expectorant for the cough, drink a lot of fluids and keep a close eye on the fever.

Calya on
  • Options
    Heather13Heather13 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    It seems that I too have fallen victim to the dreaded con-flu. Bit of a sore throat Sunday afternoon, which ramped up by Monday evening to 102.5 degree fever, sore throat, coughing, and just general malaise.

Has anyone else been to the doctor yet? I went to a new doctor today, and was told after like a 1 minute check-up (which did not include a throat swab or even a temperature check) that I just have a common cold (despite not having a stuffy nose) and don't need to worry about strep throat, swine flu, etc.

Am hoping it'll just clear up on its own but thought I'd put up a post and see what the rest of you have been hearing about it.

Heather13 on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i'm super tired and ive been hawking up lung gunk.

Other than that i'm peachy.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cough, body aches. Pretty bad. :-(

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    BrandeniBrandeni Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Started feeling it on Saturday, had to leave early Sunday because it had gotten so bad so fast. Fever of 102 this morning (tuesday). Started with a cough...

It spread SUPER fast to one of my buddies, heres hoping it isn't swine flu..

Brandeni on
  • Options
    sevenfiresevenfire Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Got up early Sunday to get to the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic showing, that was totally awesome. I think the adrenaline from that show kept me going till we got out. Went to board games, played 2 rounds of Lost Treasures with my wife, then had her drive me home. Was in bed for 24 hours from Sunday to Monday. About 11pm had a 101.4F fever.

I'm still really dizzy and have the chills and sweats. I think she's sick too, hopefully not as bad as I got.

PAX was totally awesome though, and getting the con plague was a small price to pay for that much awesome.

sevenfire on
  • Options
    ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just started getting a scratchy throat last night (I was out doing karaoke with a few local friends). However, I woke up this morning & my body in general is starting to feel blah & my throat has gotten worse. I hope it's not the SWRINE FRUS! D:

Shiggles on
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the tri-wizard tourney plus all of our yelling antics during the Omegathon contributed to my conSARS. Then staying the entire time during the Saturday concert made me really sick. But going to bed early on Sunday remedied much of the sore throat. I'm still sick, but it's not as bad as it had been. Sleep, hot tea and cold medicine is on the schedule for the week.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    oyasumidesuoyasumidesu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if you followed intelgameon on twitter, they also got sick and are trying to tell people about it.
    I got symptoms mid-early afternoon sunday. we are calling it Pax-pox XD

here are some things to help you get through the pax-pox, which is just a REALLY REALLY bad COLD::

1) take advil
    --- It can help break the fever for a few hours and give pain relief (it brought my 102.6 degree f. fever down to 98.7...for a little while)
    2) drink WHITE (WHITE!!!) tea
    --- it has the most antioxydents than all other teas, and since it has no caffeine, it will not aggro the cough

3) if you notice that you are crying uncontrollably (take the advil) and iff your EYES feel pressure as well as your sinuses
    --- take a CLEAN hand towel or wash cloth and soak it in COLD water. place it on your eyes and forehead and relax as much as possible

4) do NOT drink fruit juice
    --- it will aggro the cough and make it all more unpleasent

5) SLEEEEEEEP
    --- I know that we all got some awesome swag and we want to brag about it and look at it, and play video games and tell out friends and neighbors, DON'T!!!! The way to replenish your health is to take it easy and SLEEP IN!! remember, when you have a fever (even if advil is keeping it down) you are very contagious...think T-virus...k? so relax and SLEEP!!

going to pax this year...i think that this "plague" is totally worth it! pax rocked!

oyasumidesu on
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    According to @OFFICIAL_PAX, they just had their first test-confirmed case of swine flu at PAX. If you're sick, please go and get yourself tested.

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just a heads up:

Official_PAX Just heard of our first test-confirmed swine flu case at the show. PLEASE if you feel symptoms (fever, etc) go to the doctor.

EDIT: Damn you Alponsis, beat me by a minute. * shakes fist*

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    Firestorm88Firestorm88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Home from work today due to how sick I am x.x

Firestorm88 on
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I felt crappy yesterday and still some today. Slight fever.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    lillejordlillejord Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two of my friends are sick, my roommate and I are not. We all did pretty much the same things. My roommate concluded that it was the buttons. They were buttoneers and we were not.

One of those sick friends just informed me that @official_pax just said there was a confirmed case of swine flu at pax...

lillejord on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I went to the doctor and got tested, no swine flu. says it is just a really really bad cold.

oyasumidesu on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    lillejord wrote: »
    Two of my friends are sick, my roommate and I are not. We all did pretty much the same things. My roommate concluded that it was the buttons. They were buttoneers and we were not.

+1 distribution of germs has to be the keyboards, and controllers. 10's of thousands of people touching all the remotes and mice and such... Bad news.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    awitelintstaawitelintsta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Even if it is Swine Flu in some cases, don't panic. Best thing to do is just to stay home, drink fluids, and sleep. Most people will recover enough in a couple of days and it's not a big deal.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

awitelintsta on
    http://awitelintsta.gamerdna.com/
    Roleplayer, Pirate, and 2009 Omeganaut :D
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You know what? Totally worth it.

jonxp on
  • Options
    chrisstiechrisstie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok now running 100.6 fever with chills but the tylenol kicked in. Doctors around here for a new patient like me are booked until Friday but there's a walk in clinic in Issaquah that doesn't have a wait time that also takes insurance I'm going to go to after a shower. I hope this helps anyone local.

In the meantime I was telling my friend about this and she's like OMG Legionnaire's Disease from WoW @ you. Hope I can provide some laughs :)

chrisstie on
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I woke up with a 101 temp this morning, I did call my doc's office since it's across the street and they'll "call me back." Figure if I'm taking a sick day anyway and it's across the street I better get some advice on whether I should wait it out or just come in and be tested. If I'm going to have to stay home from work sick for any length of time I need to know now so I can go pick up my stuff at the office and work from home.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    remigiousremigious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I too am sick :( Yesterday I had a fever/chills and a bad cough, today just a headache and a bad cough. I was pretty scared to hear that it could be swine flu (I don't have health insurance) and seeing a doctor is pretty much not an option for me. Luckily I think I am getting better, I am just going to stay home in bed today with my orange juice and snuggle my doggy. I hope the rest of you feel better soon.

remigious on
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some of my friends who attended came down with flu-like symptoms.

With my suppressed immune system, I'd be surprised if I didn't come down with something. At least I can work from home if I have to instead of infecting my coworkers.

So far so good. No symptoms yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and washed)!

Aurora on
  • Options
    FritoFrito Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm blaming all you filthy assholes who didn't bathe the whole weekend.

Frito on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    i just now took my temp.....
    wow, a fever of 101.7...still lower than last night, although i took advil about an hour ago...

oyasumidesu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Frito wrote: »
    I'm blaming all you filthy assholes who didn't bathe the whole weekend.

lol but i bet someone was already not feeling well and they didn't want to miss the con so they came anyway

oyasumidesu on
  • Options
    Rocket TacoRocket Taco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just spoke to some consulting nurses, and they said see a doctor only if I have trouble breathing, fever lasting longer than five days, or a compromised immune system. There's apparently a lot of demand on the test labs, and they wanted to conserve them for serious cases.

Rocket Taco on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just spoke to some consulting nurses, and they said see a doctor only if I have trouble breathing, fever lasting longer than five days, or a compromised immune system. There's apparently a lot of demand on the test labs, and they wanted to conserve them for serious cases.

Good to know. I've just got a scratchy throat and wanted to know whether I should bother getting tested; I knew the demand had been high.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/general_info.htm for more information. Don't panic.

Arminas on
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm starting to think this is a big ploy to get us to stay home and play Hello Kitty Online.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm starting to think this is a big ploy to get us to stay home and play Hello Kitty Online.

0__0 no matter HOW sick i get, the evil hello kitty plot will never make me play hello kitty online.....maybe HALO kitty online...i might play that....o_o *mental image* gafaw!!

oyasumidesu on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

0__0 no matter HOW sick i get, the evil hello kitty plot will never make me play hello kitty online.....maybe HALO kitty online...i might play that....o_o *mental image* gafaw!!

But doesn't the case advertise something along the lines of "Epic PvP action". Who doesn't want to ruin some shit in Hello Kitty's world.

I may actually install it later this week, if I get bored/masochistic enough.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, hey, we *do* have a month of LotR Online as well as KotOR to get through. We won't be starved for entertainment.

jonxp on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Well, hey, we *do* have a month of LotR Online as well as KotOR to get through. We won't be starved for entertainment.

Good point, I'm actually pumped for the Mines of Moria coming with the swag bag.

I was a founder at launch but lost interest due to increasing real life bills.

Will be great to jump back in. I wonder if I can get the founders' monthy rate still?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I'm going to install Hello Kitty Online while I wait for my lab results.
    I didn't actually get tested
    but I'm still installing it. it was fun at the booth!!!

Arminas on
This discussion has been closed.