Options

[miniphalla] Phallanx: A Newbie Phalla - Game Over. Mafia win.

• Options
    Julius CaezureJulius Caezure Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ahh, yes, the words of wisdom. The first two days were donated entirely by Spectrum. After that was a mish-mash of Spectrum, Orange Soda, myself and re-posts of advice from the original newbie phalla provided by Squashua - he of the PhalLounge and the perma-ban. I've never played a game with him, but his advice rings true and without the PhalLounge I wouldn't have found the answers to a lot of my mechanics questions (plus general phalla goodness).

I would also like input on whether the mentor program worked. I understand some used it more than others, but it really was an experiment. If you would prefer to PM me your response so as to avoid hurt feelings, go for it.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My mentor's gonna be so pissed at me too.

I feel like hiding in shame from the boards for a week, to be honest. The only part keeping me around is the burning rage.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would just like to point out that pigeonking was the last to join the bandwagon on two consecutive mafia members.

If that wasn't enough to warrant some interest, I don't know what would.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't believe the vig got my little Hippie. =/

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ahh, yes, the words of wisdom. The first two days were donated entirely by Spectrum. After that was a mish-mash of Spectrum, Orange Soda, myself and re-posts of advice from the original newbie phalla provided by Squashua - he of the PhalLounge and the perma-ban. I've never played a game with him, but his advice rings true and without the PhalLounge I wouldn't have found the answers to a lot of my mechanics questions (plus general phalla goodness).

I would also like input on whether the mentor program worked. I understand some used it more than others, but it really was an experiment. If you would prefer to PM me your response so as to avoid hurt feelings, go for it.

I used it heavily, bouncing my entire argument against Pigeon off of mine.

Then I flaked in the last 10 minutes.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I would just like to point out that pigeonking was the last to join the bandwagon on two consecutive mafia members.

It was what lead the network (easier than typing out me and gonmun, honestly) into targeting in on him at the start. I don't know why we didn't stick with Pigeonking.

And, really, Athenor, don't hold yourself accountable. We all screwed up, and, if I may say so, a mafia win was probably a better learning experience for all of us.

None of this, of course, wipes out my never ending grudge against Pigeonking.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I noticed that. Hell, if you look at my big accusation post, I hit probably every mistake he made.

The turnabout at the last moment was completely generated by my feelings of pity and self-doubt.

Athenor on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, despite his complete fuckup in the end, I say Athenor is a player to watch out for in the near future. pigeonking's save was darn amazing though.

On mentoring: Remember when I said I was afraid of the skill discrepance among mentors and suggested a dedicated mentor pool instead? Well I feel like I could have done a way better job if I wasn't restricted to just one guy.

Also boogedyboo, you made it damn hard for me to care with you always skirting the activity threshold
    . Don't ever do that again

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also, let me explain OptimusZed's replacement. He is married to Kistra and he told me via PM that he accidentally saw the picture of Xerxes's Immortals that I used for the mafia role PM. Rather than hide the fact, or abuse it, he owned up to the problem and I would like to thank him for his honesty.

I would also like to thank Timothy Leary and Athenor for serving as short-notice replacements.

And thank you to Spectrum and all of the vets who served as mentors.

I would like to apologize for some things that I borked, like allowing the guard to self-guard, repeatedly...

And, what the hell is it about newbie games and the Vig trying to Day 1 the Guard? Happened in my newbie game and now this one. I think we're starting a tradition.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Athenor wrote: »
    I used it heavily, bouncing my entire argument against Pigeon off of mine.

Then I flaked in the last 10 minutes.

It is hard. I always felt bad voting for or mafiaing people that actually talk a lot and talk to me. That is why I thought I might be able to shift the bandwagon off of me and onto someone who didn't post much just by chatting pleasantly.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No, you guys were really on the ball. I was going to give up, but i came back and decided to give it one last shot- at exactly the right moment. And thanks for not begrudgin me the candy, guys. :P

i'd rather not have the grudges, though. :?

Edit: I'm talking to my last few victims by the way. I really need to specify these things.

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sure, I'll !sign up.

I ranted about it on the forums, but the network didn't need to stay public after I originally thought the guard's death, but upon reflection after my death it probably should have stayed to just the guard (with the exception of saving Robos). The mafia can do your job for you of finding them by eliiminating unnetworked villagers if you keep your network more invisible!

Can we impose a rule of not voting for our mentor? Thetheroo gave me the most advice, but I think this vote is kinda dumb if we all vote for our mentor.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kistra, you are day 2.

If Pigeon isn't in a game you are in, you are day 1.

(Robos is day 3.)

Sorry! I'll tone it down next time.

!Signup

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sure, I'll !sign up.

I ranted about it on the forums, but the network didn't need to stay public after I originally thought the guard's death, but upon reflection after my death it probably should have stayed to just the guard (with the exception of saving Robos). The mafia can do your job for you of finding them by eliiminating unnetworked villagers if you keep your network more invisible!

Can we impose a rule of not voting for our mentor? Thetheroo gave me the most advice, but I think this vote is kinda dumb if we all vote for our mentor.

But then the problem goes, how do we know what the other mentors sent to their players? :?

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    pigeonking wrote: »
    No, you guys were really on the ball. I was going to give up, but i came back and decided to give it one last shot- at exactly the right moment. And thanks for not begrudgin me the candy, guys. :P

Edit: I'm talking to my last few victims by the way. I really need to specify these things.

I am planning on running my own phalla just to fucking ram a nuclear warhead down your throat.

I'm not sure exactly HOW this would work... but seriously, I'm suddenly wondering about running one of these as an alternative narrative/storytelling structure.

Athenor on
  • Options
    boogedybooboogedyboo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Well, despite his complete fuckup in the end, I say Athenor is a player to watch out for in the near future. pigeonking's save was darn amazing though.

On mentoring: Remember when I said I was afraid of the skill discrepance among mentors and suggested a dedicated mentor pool instead? Well I feel like I could have done a way better job if I wasn't restricted to just one guy.

Also boogedyboo, you made it damn hard for me to care with you always skirting the activity threshold
    . Don't ever do that again

duly noted, although it's the first time i've been this active on the boards. i usually lurk and am not use to posting this often. takes me forever to write something up and making up my mind whether to post it or not.

boogedyboo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And I'm having an extreme bout of Deja'vu, like I've seen all these posts and comments before. I hate this fucking feeling.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I am going to work on the revamped OP and role PMs. And drink.

Depending on how quickly signups go, and how crazy my day is tomorrow, I may start the second phase of the game tomorrow evening. Otherwise, expect a Friday start time. I will post an update tomorrow afternoon.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Damnit! I was hoping that if you had been mafia that you were going to give up. When you didn't I think that's when I started to doubt my decision more. :evil:

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    !signup for part 2.

My thoughts:
    RG - tough luck picking me day one, I think we made the best of the situation though.
    m33ksa - thanks for helping me get the vote going on dogbone. sorry you had to take one for the team b/c of it.
    Robos - sorry we got into in over the dogbone thing. great work sticking it to kistra the next day though.

my final day head games: I had originally posted to get them to target me while guarding myself. later in the day, I decided that keeping the seer alive was a better bet overall and named the new mouthpiece early to make them think I wanted them to target me.
    at that point we were pretty convinced that loserforhire was the last mafia as he appeared to be working with dogbone to save kistra.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Can we vote light blue?

Because seriously athenor, you had me pretty much giving up (which is probably why i came of as pitiable). Your arguments were really well-constructed, and when you put in the actual research towards the end, i felt like it was all over.

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, let me explain OptimusZed's replacement. He is married to Kistra and he told me via PM that he accidentally saw the picture of Xerxes's Immortals that I used for the mafia role PM. Rather than hide the fact, or abuse it, he owned up to the problem and I would like to thank him for his honesty.

I would also like to thank Timothy Leary and Athenor for serving as short-notice replacements.

And thank you to Spectrum and all of the vets who served as mentors.

I would like to apologize for some things that I borked, like allowing the guard to self-guard, repeatedly...

And, what the hell is it about newbie games and the Vig trying to Day 1 the Guard? Happened in my newbie game and now this one. I think we're starting a tradition.

What the hell is it about YOUR games, JC? In the Slap Shot mini, both the village AND mafia guards got vigged on Day 1...

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Okay, so maybe my mentorship idea borked the candy for helpful vet idea. And don't bother voting for Spectrum. Didn't want the candy last time, probably won't want it this time...

Any suggestions on how to improve mentorship? Without cluttering up the regular daily interactions with blue posts?

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ugh why did you guys switch to Talleyrand? The guy who was fucking missing?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Can we vote light blue?

Because seriously athenor, you had me pretty much giving up (which is probably why i came of as pitiable). Your arguments were really well-constructed, and when you put in the actual research towards the end, i felt like it was all over.

This actually makes me feel good, as this sort of investigative study is what my bachelor's degree is in: Finding the tiniest detail in the written or spoken word and building an argument about what they may or may not be.

You've never lived till you have defended Hemingway's great "rape" short story as not being about rape, and succeeded.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Egos wrote: »

Because if I were the mafia after seeing my long spheil, I wouldn't have spoken up either.

Athenor on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I noticed that. Hell, if you look at my big accusation post, I hit probably every mistake he made.

The turnabout at the last moment was completely generated by my feelings of pity and self-doubt.
    His fellow mafia were terrified of voting patterns giving them away. They were all really careful about not looking guilty.

Pidg just jumped on at the last second, yelled "hey I'm a villager!" and lived for the win. :P

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

His fellow mafia were terrified of voting patterns giving them away. They were all really careful about not looking guilty.

Pidg just jumped on at the last second, yelled "hey I'm a villager!" and lived for the win. :P

Hey, whatever works.

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Because if I were the mafia after seeing my long spheil, I wouldn't have spoken up either.

Athenor, they will always squirm. Like I told you. They don't hide. The ones that do just outright give up and admit and go down in a blaze of glory.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    !signup for part 2.

My thoughts:
    RG - tough luck picking me day one, I think we made the best of the situation though.
    m33ksa - thanks for helping me get the vote going on dogbone. sorry you had to take one for the team b/c of it.
    Robos - sorry we got into in over the dogbone thing. great work sticking it to kistra the next day though.

my final day head games: I had originally posted to get them to target me while guarding myself. later in the day, I decided that keeping the seer alive was a better bet overall and named the new mouthpiece early to make them think I wanted them to target me.
    at that point we were pretty convinced that loserforhire was the last mafia as he appeared to be working with dogbone to save kistra.
    You confused me so much the first time you did that. We had already voted to kill mEEksa and I was worried you might be protecting him so I tried to change the vote at the last minute, but it was already too late. Killing mEEksa wasn't a response to your statement. Killing you and robos the next night was.

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Athenor, they will always squirm. Like I told you. They don't hide. The ones that do just outright give up and admit and go down in a blaze of glory.

This mistake won't be made again, I assure you.

I've already given more than a passing thought about doing this kind of analysis on the phallakinetic.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I've already given more than a passing thought about doing this kind of analysis on the phallakinetic.

Ugh live and you learn. But you guys had it- which I feel bad about..:(

Egos on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    !signup for part 2.

My thoughts:

You confused me so much the first time you did that. We had already voted to kill mEEksa and I was worried you might be protecting him so I tried to change the vote at the last minute, but it was already too late. Killing mEEksa wasn't a response to your statement. Killing you and robos the next night was.

I made sure to do it after vote close the first time. (so you'd target me the next night)
    I figured you guys took out meeksa for posting immediately after me against dogbone.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

...glad that i'm not in that game. I'm pretty sure that you'd find a way to take me down no matter what :P

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    !signup for part 2.

It all actually worked out pretty well with you having me Seered and Kistra being revealed through dogbone's actions, neither of which would have happened if I'd kept my mouth shut like a reasonable person. Nonetheless, I wish I'd deduced that dogbone and kistra were working together earlier, as that would've saved everyone a whole lot of tedium.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Ugh live and you learn. But you guys had it- which I feel bad about..:(

Don't feel bad. I poked him one too many times because I didn't trust the AFK guy.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So what is the best way to get a bandwagon off of oneself?

Kistra on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would like to point one thing out and this is the only thing you need to keep in mind for any of these games.

Every single tip you get on how to find suspicious people or how to be unsuspicious is not only known by you but possibly by everyone else including those that are aligned against you. they will often use this information to make reasonable suspicions following well known phalla 'guidlines' or to disagree with a course of action by using a different reasoning that is equally sound. do not simply trust someone because they are reasonable. everything that you have learned in this mini is public knowledge for your next game so keep in mind that as you learn, your opponents will learn as well.

are the mentors getting new newbies to help this game?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Actually, I think I'm going to scrap the mentorship for phase two.

Sorry, but you guys are on your own. :P

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

...glad that i'm not in that game. I'm pretty sure that you'd find a way to take me down no matter what :P

Oh, I'm not in that game. I wasn't ready when it started. I'm still not ready for that complex of a game.

You are still dead.

Athenor on