As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] ITT we argue about MMO lore

• Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    aunsoph wrote: »
    o_O

Yeah, I know how it looks. Hissy fit to the extreme. But seriously, how would you feel seeing 3 pages of quotes undermining what you have just spent a month and a half planning out even with ten nay sayers all saying, "We've never done this before, so it won't work." That doesn't make sense. So let's at least try it the way I've set the foundations for the Aion-PAA before declaring a new plan out of the blue.

For everyone who needs to be told where to play...Then let's do Elyos.

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or maybe a list of what people are planning to do is handy to have no matter what.

Aistan on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or you could look at the fact that we obviously don't have enough people to support two guilds, and that very few people are going to have active characters in both when both factions have the same exact classes. Also the fact that most people seem to be willing to go with the general consensus and play with the majority so we can just have one big guild.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll probably get this eventually when I feel the itch to play an MMO long term. Right now though I'm just excited about Batman: AA coming out on PC so that will probably keep me busy for a bit.

Although I did apply for a job at NCSoft so if that goes anywhere I would probably buy it a bit quicker.

Drool on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Judging by what I saw in the open beta regarding characters and numbers of people playing, we can either choose one server to consolidate on or we can have two guilds on two servers, one of which will slowly die as people realize that a lot more are playing on the other full time.

I'd love the idea of two to jump back and forth between, but I don't think we have the numbers. Because the classes are the same for both, the only reason to make an alt on the other server is to hang out with the people there. But if the people there are also on the server that your main is on... why not just make the alt on that server?

Aistan on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I'm more likely to make an alt of the same race, as you can share items/cash within your account on the same server, and be able to chat with the same people you're used to. ("Oh, let me go grab my alt and I'll join you questing.")

Strato on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so whenever i try to log in it says i can't connect to the auth server, i thought the OB was going to be open til tomorrow sometime?

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think it was until 2am CDT, which I think means it closed about two hours ago. They extended it by six hours, so I guess it was slated for 10pm Central beforehand.

Strato on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    sigh, i had to work til 3 am, was hoping to get some gaming in before it went down

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just wanted to see where the majority was at because that's where I'll roll. I was leaning towards Elyos, but I would play Asmo if that side had more people. You and I have different views on the split Legions thing, CostanzaK. But that's okay! Its your show here and I'll be happy to play with the Sorcelators on whatever server we end up on.

Also I registered for the Legion forums and broke the server poll tie :P

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You have enough people to support two guilds right now, maybe. However, in six months, more than half of you won't be playing anymore. At that point, you're going to be too committed to just have one guild reroll with the other, so both communities will pretty much die out. See: The Warhammer Online guilds. Each guild had 200+ people, EACH, during launch. Both guilds now have about 5 active members. Those members aren't even active all the time, just in spurts. If we were all one big guild, we'd have held critical mass to keep playing for a little bit longer at least.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AlgorefiendAlgorefiend Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    like i said it really doesn't matter to me which side the legion rolls on. i'd prefer east coast timing but again i'll make due if i have to.

edit: i applied to the legion website as Galbalin which will be my characters name. its still pending

Algorefiend on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In the beta weekends you could totally roll Elyos and Asmondian on the same server on the same account.

Djiem on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I realize I was pretty LTTP on Aion, and I don't really want to be a dick but I'm not sure how I feel about duder up there running the legion and telling us how it's going to be. His first post on the forums was dictating what side/server PA folks would play on and while we're here having a civil discussion/poll going on about what faction/time zone we want to play on he's flipping out on everyone for no apparent reason.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    AlgorefiendAlgorefiend Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I realize I was pretty LTTP on Aion, and I don't really want to be a dick but I'm not sure how I feel about duder up there running the legion and telling us how it's going to be. His first post on the forums was dictating what side/server PA folks would play on and while we're here having a civil discussion/poll going on about what faction/time zone we want to play on he's flipping out on everyone for no apparent reason.

I understand what you mean dude, I think that post is making me lean towards asmo now

Algorefiend on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm rolling Elyos and Asmo characters. Sometimes I want to be all scary with red eyes, and sometimes I want to look kinda normal.

I suggest we do what we were originally going to do in the first place, and have 2 servers with a race on each. One east and one west, so we can change it up with the timezones or if there are server down times or whatever. Let's keep it like it is now. Elyos on Zikel, and Asmo on Nez. Having 1 server is a stupid idea, because that would split us in half. Having 2 servers will not split us in half, only give us the option of being emo or asshole. I want to keep that option.

Also: Warhammer is dying because it was hyped as the new DAoC, and it's not.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm in the boat that doesn't care what server/race I am on. I just want to be with the group that is actually going to be playing and pushing forward to get to content and has active people on to play with.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm rolling Elyos and Asmo characters. Sometimes I want to be all scary with red eyes, and sometimes I want to look kinda normal.

I suggest we do what we were originally going to do in the first place, and have 2 servers with a race on each. One east and one west, so we can change it up with the timezones or if there are server down times or whatever. Let's keep it like it is now. Elyos on Zikel, and Asmo on Nez. Having 1 server is a stupid idea, because that would split us in half. Having 2 servers will not split us in half, only give us the option of being emo or asshole. I want to keep that option.

No one is suggesting putting elyos and asmodean legions on the same server.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    IslandIsland Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Im rolling Elyos with you guys.... (I'd prefer a west coast server though.)

Why cant we have a poll in this thread instead of a seperate website?

Island on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I agree, I think the original plan is the best one. We should have enough people to fill out two legions on launch. If not, I don't see why we have to limit membership to only PA forum readers. We're all certainly going to meet and play with some friendly folks and they should be welcome also. If in 6 months we don't have enough butts in the seats we can re-examine our options. I plan to roll both an Asmo and an Elyos at first, and it would be nice to have PA people involved on both sides.

Mandres on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Island wrote: »
    Im rolling Elyos with you guys.... (I'd prefer a west coast server though.)

Why cant we have a poll in this thread instead of a seperate website?

because only mods can make poll threads here.

EDIT: there's not even 20 people so far on the list for sides they want to play. That's not enough to fill two legions.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    So then don't post a poll. Just say "Hey guys Elyos roll here and Asmo roll here".

Most of us don't care.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New proposal:
    1. Pick Elyos/Asmodian servers
    2. Set up a private chat channel on those servers for PA dudes
    3. Join whatever the fuck legion you feel like, but don't form our own

I have my doubts that even a united PA legion would have much longevity. I think we get the best of both worlds this way.

Spindrift on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I imagine the servers decided on already for elyos/asmo will remain, so its no biggie.

It just bugged me the bossiness that was coming out.

I dont care which side i play honestly. they didn't seem different enough to me to care really.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Cool, put it in the op so we can talk about something else now.

I played a Templar in the open beta. I HATE playing tanks, but I loved the shit out of this guy. Has anyone played both a Templar and a Gladiator? I'm wondering what the skill chain differences are for each. I saw a Gladiator doing what looked like aoe damage to a few guys.

Also: Gladiator with a shield. I know it's stupid (min/max olol), but can it work in a pinch if a tank is needed?

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I played a Templar in the open beta. I HATE playing tanks, but I loved the shit out of this guy. Has anyone played both a Templar and a Gladiator? I'm wondering what the skill chain differences are for each. I saw a Gladiator doing what looked like aoe damage to a few guys.

Also: Gladiator with a shield. I know it's stupid (min/max olol), but can it work in a pinch if a tank is needed?

From what I've heard/read glads can off-tank. You are wearing plate after all :) And yeah, aoe damage out the wazoo.

I like tanking, and absolutely LOVED the templar. They did a good job of making you feel like a tank and have fun doing it. I just hope this game goes the way most games go and the majority of people go dps classes so I can get a spot tanking whenever I need to :winky:

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    One quick note: we have 32 members and counting registered at the official PA legions website:

http://paa-aion.guildlaunch.com/

The site offers a lot of cool functions like registering your main and all of your alts under one account name so we will easily be able to tell who is who. I'm going to post a "getting to know ya" thread in the general forum in the next day or two so hopefully people will get engaged over there.

And yea, gladiators make a fine tank when using sword&board even with their limited aggro-generating skills. They also get the ability to duel-wield at lvl 20 (I believe) so they have all kinds of options for setup. One important note though: they can only use their AoE skills when eqiupped with a polearm or greatsword.

Mandres on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I registered on the site when I tried the beta, but decided not to buy the game, so -1 members.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mandres wrote: »

I agree, I think the original plan is the best one. We should have enough people to fill out two legions on launch. If not, I don't see why we have to limit membership to only PA forum readers. We're all certainly going to meet and play with some friendly folks and they should be welcome also. If in 6 months we don't have enough butts in the seats we can re-examine our options. I plan to roll both an Asmo and an Elyos at first, and it would be nice to have PA people involved on both sides.

I'm in huge agreement with this. It's not like getting the access to PA is a huge process. During CBT3 while I was an officer I met a guy in group who was pretty cool and so I added his ass to the guild and then got him on here. I really don't see a reason for all this debate about how "we'll have so many launch people but 6 months later it'll be a desert." We can just worry about it then. Who knows what the MMO community will look like when Star Wars and FFXIV hit, as well as Cataclysm for WoW. I know I don't give a fuck how many people go Asmo, I hated the way my character looked and I'm not doing it.

Hopefully I'll be back up soon...not only have I been without my laptop for the last two weeks, but I just lost the ability to have wired internet on my desktop and still have to get that wireless card. So I completely missed OB and most of the thread activity in here the past two weeks :(

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited September 2009

the OP isn't mine.

Also, Mandres, the PAA/Aion News subforum is locked to Moderators only.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is about a day late but I had to respond to this:
    Silly tips for new players:

Flying - dont expect "Spacebar" to do what you expect. Unlike most MMO's that you can fly in it does not increase your altitude. It sets you to auto-glide which is actually fairly terrible and I don't recommend it. Someone with more experence might enlighten us to its purpose.

Gliding is probably one of the coolest and most innovative things that the flight system in Aion offers. There has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth over flight in Aion and how is it is limited to specific areas of the game. That's true, but you can glide EVERYWHERE in the game. And with a little thought and effort you can often glide a long, long, long way.

While gliding the controls change slightly.

If you hold down the "forward" key (up arrow or W) whilst gliding, you increase speed and angle downward slightly. This lets you get from point a to point b faster, but the cost of altitude. Unless you started the glide from a very great height, you'll quickly run out of airspace, hit the ground and go back to running. I don't recommend doing this. You should almost never be touching your "forward" control while gliding.

If you hold down the "backward" key (down arrow or S) whilst gliding, you decrease your speed slightly (but still faster than running on the ground!) and increase your lift. Paths, roads and the edges of water areas have "updrafts" that will actually move you upwards when you pass them. If you're holding "backward" when you hit one of these updrafts you will hover for a second or two and increase your altitude. If you think about what route you take, it's actually pretty easy to get nearly a full minute of "flight" time from a well-placed glide.

Once you start to understand how gliding works, you start seeing every single hill and rise as a potential jumping off point and you'll spend about 50% of your travel gliding. And since gliding is about 50% faster than running, you'll be saving travel time!

BTW, what games use spacebar as "up"? That seems so completely counter-intuitive to me.
    EDIT: Also they changed commonly used hotkeys for no apparent reason.
    Bags = "I" (inventory)
    Quests = "J" (no clue)
    Skills = "K" (No clue)
    Character sheet = "P" (Player)
    "B" Does not open your bags. It turns on your power stones if you have any equipped. If you're not paying attention and try to open your bags sometime using B and don't hit it again you can blow through a lot of power stones without even noticing. :(
    Map = "M"
    Map Overlay (ala most dungeon crawlers) = "N"

I suppose it depends on what you consider "commonly used". If B was for bags I'd remap that instantly to the much more common "I" for inventory, just like every MMO I've ever played, and most other games as well. (Another potentially confusing point is that, in Aion, your inventory is a storage "cube". There are merchants which offer to "expand your cube" - this is Aion-speak for adding another row of storage to your inventory. I recommended doing this as soon as you can afford it. The first extra row only costs about 1000 and you'll thank yourself for spending the kinah every time you sell loot and recover the funds. The second extra row will cost around 12000 kinah and depending on haw easily frustrated you are, you might be able to put that off until about level 18.)

"J" is for Journal, as in Quest Journal. Another standard MMO convention.

"K" is for sKills. Yes, "S" would make more sense, but that's taken by the WASD movement, so the second letter will do. Similar to baseball's striKe ("K") stat (but not that similar).

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So this game looks cool, I couldn't download the beta this weekend. Is there any option of a trial or anything so I can try to not accidently waste some cash?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Im sure there will be a trial; games launches the 22nd. I dunno if there'll be a trial off the bat though.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, because the aion discussion forum is currently locked to moderators only, I'm going to add my two cents here. Deal.

1. The reason people are getting a little miffed is because we want to avoid what happened to other games, where people make characters whereever they want, and everybody's spread out, and nobody knows what's going on. Rather than having multiple guilds across multiple servers, it seemed smarter to consolidate. Being that we don't have 100+ people right now, I can understand Costanza's stance on trying to consolidate all players on one side. Makes sense to me, as there's very little difference between the sides.

Either way, though, let's try to keep this nice-nice. It appears that most people don't really have a preference, so it seems the best idea is that those who do go ahead and choose your side, then maybe the rest of us wishy-washy fuckers can mass join one side and make alts on the other or something.

The last thing I want is what I dealt with on the Asmo side in Beta, which is fricking nobody on.

Ender on
  • Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That is Bloody Brilliant. Let's go ahead and do that. Elyos on Yustiel West server and Asmodians on Zikel East server.

(Reasoning for this is that the poll is showing a slight favor to the West Servers, and I get the feeling that there is about 2-3 more people who prefer Elyos over Asmo, so I'm lumping the majority like that. And we're avoiding Nezekan because it has been named the Hard Core PvP Server where everyone is an Undead Rogue.)

And for the people who are saying I'm a megalomaniac, I only took this role as a necessity. Someone had to go and get everything organized, and my sincerest wish is to create a system where I am no longer needed in order for it to be maintained.

Oh, and it was my intention to go ahead and recruit people into the legions who were not PA fans from the beginning. Making a club far too exclusive will kill the roster, right quick. But not for Pre-launch, since that time would be dedicated to getting set up and everyone in here registered.

And I originally posted the Poll in the Aion Legion forum to get people to sign up for the website.

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Stupid wrote: »
    While gliding the controls change slightly.

If you hold down the "forward" key (up arrow or W) whilst gliding, you increase speed and angle downward slightly. This lets you get from point a to point b faster, but the cost of altitude. Unless you started the glide from a very great height, you'll quickly run out of airspace, hit the ground and go back to running. I don't recommend doing this. You should almost never be touching your "forward" control while gliding.

If you hold down the "backward" key (down arrow or S) whilst gliding, you decrease your speed slightly (but still faster than running on the ground!) and increase your lift. Paths, roads and the edges of water areas have "updrafts" that will actually move you upwards when you pass them. If you're holding "backward" when you hit one of these updrafts you will hover for a second or two and increase your altitude. If you think about what route you take, it's actually pretty easy to get nearly a full minute of "flight" time from a well-placed glide.

Once you start to understand how gliding works, you start seeing every single hill and rise as a potential jumping off point and you'll spend about 50% of your travel gliding. And since gliding is about 50% faster than running, you'll be saving travel time!

How about that thing where you bounce as you land and glide farther? I saw that in a video but wasn't able to do it.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ender wrote: »
    So, because the aion discussion forum is currently locked to moderators only, I'm going to add my two cents here. Deal.

Which Aion discussion forum? The one on our guild site should not be locked to anyone. I just posted a test message as a Guest to make sure. What are you guys looking at?

-edit- Oh, I think I see what you mean. Please try it now.

Mandres on
  • Options
    RaiekRaiek Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Something you're all going to want to keep in mind when making a Legion in this game:

Legions have a maximum amount of 90 members.

Legions start out with a 30 member cap, which you have to spend Kinah on to increase it to 60. Then to increase it from 60 members to 90 members, you need to pay 20,000 Abyss Points. Which is obtainable by two people playing in the abyss for most of their time two days straight, but I wouldn't recommend doing that because it's very tiring.

If the game does turn out to be popular, you may find yourself creating secondary Legions anyways.

Raiek on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey, guys. I didn't get in on the beta, but this game is looking very very interesting to me and I plan to hop in on Day 1 (maybe even on the headstart, we'll see.)

I realize there's lots of craziness trying to organize (and I am definetly pro-organization) but I thought I'd put in my two cents.

Living in Alaska, I definetly prefer West Coast servers. That being said, if I don't experience too much lag, I'll join just about any server. Definetly don't care too much about which side we take, though I personally find the Elyos most appealing.

For those of you who play, what is the Chanter's primary role and does he do it well? I'm assuming it's not basic healbot stuff, as that would clash with the Cleric a little much.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    RaiekRaiek Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Strato wrote: »

How about that thing where you bounce as you land and glide farther? I saw that in a video but wasn't able to do it.

I've been able to pull that off by not pressing any WSAD keys while gliding and just steering with my mouse. If you keep holding forward while your gliding, you're not going to get that bounce. I haven't experimented with holding S to get more bounces, but that's entirely possible. I do know you tend to pull this off far more successfully when you're over water, and less successfully if you're landing on an incline.

Raiek on