As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario & Luigi: Globin of the Year

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Glorious! The Koopa Kids return was like my favorite part of Superstar Saga.

It was kind of a copout that they had absolutely zero dialog and were reduced to cheap cameos like that. Still nice to have seen that they weren't forgotten though.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know why it was, but for some reason, giving Luigi a Lightning Ball, compared to Mario's Fireball, seemed like such a perfect fit. It's weird that because of that combination that I think Superstar Saga was my favorite.

I wish that Brawl had reflected that shake-up.
    Super Paper Mario is the only reason I hesitate on this game. While obviously not an RPG, that game was peppered with enough annoyances, bullshit, and outright developer cockslaping that it turned an otherwise decent game into something I can firmly say I will never have any desire in replaying ever again.

Hopefully they didn't use any of that design philosophy while making this game.

Different developers, so probably not.

Me, I'm more worried about another 2-hour sequence between the last save point and the end of the game. Partners in Time wasn't THAT bad, technically, but close. SS took me forever as well, but I didn't know you could level up the Bros. moves. :P
    Kupi wrote: »
    My only problem with Partners in Time was the "Bag of HP" boss design philosophy. Even if you knew how to beat the boss, you still had a good three to five minutes of pure bashing to grind through, even using your best attacks. In Superstar Saga, the challenge was simply to learn the tells before you screwed up enough to get killed. Once you weren't throwing away turns on healing out the damage you took, the battles ended in a flash. (Especially if you got a few game-breaking equipment combos.)

This. I really wish they'd at least let you see how many HP an enemy has left. At least then, you feel like you're making progress, rather than pissing into an ocean of piss and wondering how it's holding up.
    It was kind of a copout that they had absolutely zero dialog and were reduced to cheap cameos like that. Still nice to have seen that they weren't forgotten though.

Agreed, we were denied a glorious opportunity for characterization and return dialogue. Sigh.

Anyway, Super Mario RPG, I liked well enough. My only grievance is that Square Enix seems to own it lock, stock, and barrel, save for the stuff which originated with Mario, which is ironically a small part of the game. And I'm not big on having the stuff locked up by SE, so that's why I'm fine if we never get a "true" SMRPG2.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga was a fun but tedious/frustrating affair for me. Besides the Bros. Moves I mentioned above, I found travel to be harrowing. Constantly switching who was in back, who was in front, and who was equipped with which move at which time got a bit old after a while. For that, I was thankful for the more streamlined movement of Partners in Time. You either control the babies, the adults, or the adults carrying the babies. Special moves on or off. Simple.

Also, I didn't like being killed before I could even react by the final boss while the Bros. were face down. That led to a lot of grinding on my part to ensure that such a thing would not happen again.

And the ending just didn't seem worth the effort to me.

On the other hand, I went on to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door almost straight after. And it was nothing short of glorious. My favorite Mario RPG ever. I also loved the post-game.

Super Paper Mario, while not bad just didn't live up to TTYD's standard, I felt. TTYD, it felt like even all the NPCs were characters in their own right, but I didn't really get that from SPM. Nor did I care for the designs of many of the NPCs (Francis and other more notables notwithstanding).

I was also bugged by the Pixls, or their lack of involvement. You find one, get a brief glimpse of personality, and then they get stuffed in a box, never heard from again.

Played Partners in Time more recently, and I liked it better than SS, mostly because I felt the actual control was better. In SS, the timing always felt like it varied; some enemies had to hit before they'd be close enough to touch, some while they were close enough to touch, and others seemingly after they were close enough. PiT just felt like the timing was more along the lines of a Mario game, for the most part.

I also liked Bros. items, particularly the shells. Unfortunately, four Marios, with two pairs of similarly colored clothing made things hard to keep track of. I can see it working far better with two Bros. instead of four.

The ending was more satisfying to me, time travel hocus-pocus noted above notwithstanding. Overall, I felt less stressed or irritated with it, even if some qualities were admittedly not the equal of SS.

I hope that Bowser's Inside Story will have a story the quality of SS, with gameplay more like PiT, but minus the need to control so many characters at once; two is plenty, thanks. And I do not say that as a baby hater. I actually rather liked the little tikes.

Anyway, with the third M&L, I think we're about due for the fourth Paper Mario. I hope it's not as "super" as the last one, though. It might be neat to see some Wii control added, like swinging the control down like a hammer when the gauge fills, or moving the cursor with the pointer to shoot the necessary icons during a special move.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was planning on going with Scribblenauts this week and wait on this until Christmas, but the reviews are unreal. Sounds like I need both. Life is rough.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh snap, this is this week?

Between this and Scribblenauts, look like my DS will get getting some love in the near future.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was planning on going with Scribblenauts this week and wait on this until Christmas, but the reviews are unreal. Sounds like I need both. Life is rough.

TRU is doing a 15 dollar gift card for Scribblenauts, and I plan on using the card for M&L 3....it seems like a nice tradeoff.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've only played the original Super Mario RPG and Super Paper Mario. Super Paper Mario was fun for the first 4 chapters or so, then it got to be EXTREMELY tedious. I had to force myself to finish the game. I wish they had exploited the 2-d/3-d mechanic more.

Mario RPG is fantastic, but like every RPG I've ever played (except Chrono Trigger!) I have put it down for LONG periods of time. Luckily, unlike Final Fantasy, it seems to be easy to get back into since it's very linear.

I might pick this up someday, but Scribblenauts comes first, and I won't be able to buy that until next month as it is...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

TRU is doing a 15 dollar gift card for Scribblenauts, and I plan on using the card for M&L 3....it seems like a nice tradeoff.

Check with your store before actually driving there, but since there was confusion over the actual release date, most TRUs will also be doing $10 for this game tomorrow.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I adore Super Mario RPG.

Sadly, I don't really remember anything of Superstar Saga. Except the last boss. Maybe I should replay it.

And fuck, I want thisssss, and Scribblenauts, and Marvel UA2, uugggh

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The reviews for this have been nothing short of incredible. They all keep saying that this is the best of the Mario & Luigi trilogy.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sooo, this game is absolutely nothing like Partners in Time? Which is, no babies, no extreme linearity, no dull repetition, and actual humor?

But, man, I'd like to see another Paper Mario again, too. I liked what they did with Super Paper Mario- namely, something utterly and completely different-, but in the end, it just wasn't thought through properly. There was lots of trial-and-error with the 3D/2D mechanic, the side characters weren't as charming since they basically only had lines when appearing, the level structure didn't quite work that well, and the battles were horribly simple, except for some optional stuff. Not to mention the serious balancing issues (Bowser, anyone...?). Still, great ideas, and fun. I'd be happy if the developers tried something new with the Paper style again. But this time... please with more of the elements that made the original Paper Mario great.
    So no repetitiveness.
    Please.

Wingo on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wanted to pick this up yesterday at my Gamestop's Midnight release for Marvel 2 and Scribblenauts. However, their shipment hadn't come in yet, and they weren't getting it until today. :(

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Check with your store before actually driving there, but since there was confusion over the actual release date, most TRUs will also be doing $10 for this game tomorrow.

Wait, a $15 GC for Scribblenauts today and a $10 GC for M&L tomorrow? Two trips to Toys R Us is worth it if I get these two games $25 off, even if I hold off opening M&L3 until I can get some impressions.

I loved M&L: SS, loved Paper Mario: TTYD, did not enjoy M&L: PiT at all. I never figured out what made Partners in Time so much worse than the first one, but I'm glad that my thoughts about it seem to be how most of y'all think as well. I'll be able to figure out if this new one is worth playing that way.

Edit: So, I just called my local Toys R Us, and they guy said that M&L3 will be in stock today at 5:00pm, and that they would be doing their $10 giftcard deal today.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The only problem with PiT I had was that using the babies and the X/Y buttons made the gameplay far too busy. Especially when you start using the Bro items. Turned the game into a wicked case of thumb-fu that I kept failing at.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah. I liked the exploration aspects with the babies more than the combat.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    I'm five hours in and it's easily the best of the series. Everything is well paced and diced into smaller chunka that switch between Bowser and the Bros. And Bowser is fucking awesome. His special attacks are based off normal Mario enemies.

And if you love Fawful, then this game will require new underwear. Kickass translation here.

Only complaint is that game is a bit too simple. You barely put the new move to use and it feels you just wander to the next cut scene. On the other hand, it keeps things from getting too stale. Shorter areas means a regular flow of bosses and new enemies.

Buy it, you bastards.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Buy it, you bastards.

I did, but I popped in scribblenauts first and can't stop!

I'm pretty pumped for more Fawful though.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So yea, so far, this definitely feels like Bowser's RPG with special guest appearance by the Mario Bros.

Not that that is a bad thing (at least yet anyway).

I'm about 4 hours in myself, and have been having a good time so far.

I was saddened a bit to see some of the Bros. Items return from PiT. I really loved the fire flower being an attack command from Superstar saga, and not an item to use.

Kor on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be picking this up tomorrow first thing in the morning. I've got a long car trip ahead of me on the weekend, so this sudden burst of DS awesomeness (this game and Scribblenauts) is a welcome coincidence.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bowser's Inside Story isn't coming out until October 9th here. Boo.

Ivar on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, this is pretty fun so far. Not all that funny, it's kind of rare, but I'm digging the combat. I hope the platforming ramps up a bit more.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited September 2009
    I was saddened a bit to see some of the Bros. Items return from PiT. I really loved the fire flower being an attack command from Superstar saga, and not an item to use.
    It's been a long time since I played both, so could you remind me why this difference matters?

Opium on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    So, this is pretty fun so far. Not all that funny, it's kind of rare, but I'm digging the combat. I hope the platforming ramps up a bit more.

Do you not like Fawful? Because like every other line he says cracks me up.

Talking about the platforming, does anyone else feel that synchronized jumping is a lot more touchy now that you have to do it a lot more often in a 2D plane. Especially in the swimming part?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Swimming is annoying as fuck.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I played both, so could you remind me why this difference matters?

In Superstar Saga, Bros. Attacks use up a mana-like stat, meaning that you can only use them so many times before running out of power for them and needing an item to get back points. In Partners in Time, Bros. Attacks are all done through items, meaning that you can spam them as many times as you want assuming you stock up, which isn't that expensive to do.

Bros. Attacks also used fairly interesting button commands with hillarious consequences if you screwed them up, while Bros. Items mostly considered of spamming an attack over and over.

Basically, Bros. Attacks were far more awesome than Bros. Items.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Opium wrote: »

Well, in the first game, you could use the fireball/lightning ball outside of combat. Also, it gave you a 3rd option to your attack command.

So in superstar saga, you had
    -Jump
    -Hammer
    -Fire/Lightning

In PiT and BIS, you just have Jump and Hammer. this also means that the variety of enemy attacks/counter attacks is limited more.

Also, it's just slightly boring that the special attacks from PiT have now been reused.

Note that I still love the game, and have found myself literally laughing out loud at the humor.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's okay because squad attacks are the best thing ever.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This is very, very true.

Kor on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's okay because squad attacks are the best thing ever.

I was disappointed at how they were first introduced in the demo. It seemed gimmicky to have to tap that Goomba as it crossed the screen. Then the demo ended and a whole stampede of them came rushing out.

Right now, seeing areas on the map that Bowser can't jump to reach makes me sad because it implies that I will have to go back using characters not as fun to play as Bowser is.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Talking about the platforming, does anyone else feel that synchronized jumping is a lot more touchy now that you have to do it a lot more often in a 2D plane. Especially in the swimming part?

Fawful is great, although my 2nd and 3rd encounters with him were much less funny than the 1st. Thing is, I see him a relatively small amount of the time that I'm playing, and most of the other characters aren't that funny. Some of them are just visually funny, but mostly just the first time I see them, like the huge Goomba with the lollipop.

Septus on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    How much does this game cost?

I am honestly considering returning Dissidia and trying to get this game if it's a cheap snag.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    $35, with a $10 gift card if you buy it at a Toys R Us.

Septus on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    So it's $35? I can't spend a lot of money right now so having a gift card is about as useful as having plastic in my pocket.

Which is ironically where a gift card of mine currently sits.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I look forward to my eventual low-level run of this game. I've LLGed every M&L game so far, and I can't wait to see how this one plays out.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think badges might make it easier, if anything.

That and the gear in this game seems better. But the rank system will make it harder.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After playing all the dark and complex SMT games, it's rather refreshing to run about as Bowser, whose primary problem-solving skills consists entirely of "Punch it," "Eat it," and "Set it on fire." He's a character wo makes no excuses for who he is. :)

YggiDee on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Do ranks do anything other than let you equip more items?

Kor on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some of them are just visually funny, but mostly just the first time I see them, like the huge Goomba with the lollipop.

Those become fun again when you go back to that area after picking up some abilities. Namely the vacuum attack, as it lets you inhale and consume the lollipops for health and make the goomba run off crying. To reiterate, the game rewards you for stealing candy.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be earning some money online so I'll be picking this up soon!

I really love the Mario RPGs, especially Mario & Luigi.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Some of them are just visually funny, but mostly just the first time I see them, like the huge Goomba with the lollipop.

Those become fun again when you go back to that area after picking up some abilities. Namely the vacuum attack, as it lets you inhale and consume the lollipops for health and make the goomba run off crying. To reiterate, the game rewards you for stealing candy.

Talking about going back, don't spend your money on the first level of bowser gear, you get a better shell armor for free by going back to the first warp

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I wonder if he'll top the part about "giving the statue nuts."

I am surprised that even got in.

LBD_Nytetrayn on