As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New hard drive...and cables?

witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
To start with, I'm new to making hardware changes to my computer. That said, I've recently had some problems with my current hard drive:
1TB RAID 0 (2 x 500GB SATA HDDs) set up in a RAID array
(What I know is that this means there are two hard drives and that they share information between them and that's pretty much it)

I still have 2 slots open for additional hard drives so I went ahead and purchased a WD SATA 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive after some research to act as a back up. After spending several days backing up my computer to dvds, I decided to attempt to install my new back up drive. I opened up the computer, put the hard drive in the little plastic holder with screws and slid it into its slot.

Then, I started staring at the array of cables. I didn't see any more of the ribbon like cables that I understand are supposed to attach to the hard drive. I also didn't see any other multi-colored cables with the correct looking connector. So, I'm guessing that I have to buy more cables to connect this new hard drive, but, even after consulting my owner's manual (which doesn't actually talk about the cables) I'm not sure where they need to connect on the other end. Help?

witch_ie on