As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Silent Hill Thread: Let's Get Wet

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
There are Violent and Disturbing images in this thread.

Some parts of this thread may be considered cruel and not safe for 56k.

If I consider the Final Fantasy series as the pinnacle of RPGs (and I do), then I hold the Silent Hill series with the same esteem regarding survival horror. Since the first entry, Silent Hill has delivered a level of terror, fear, and emotional depth that most horror games and movies failed to deliver. If Resident Evil uses physical, probable threats to deliver its scares, Silent Hill reaches out and places you in the center of your inner nightmares.

With the original game now available on PSN, and with Shattered Memories just over a month away, I feel it's time for a thread. Recount your favorite experiences in the past games, what you hope future entries will address, and maybe deliver a few humorous moments where you're playing in the dark and your cat just happened to jump in your bed during a convenient moment.

Fucking cat.

But first, a look back:

Silent Hill

f9gioo.jpg

Have you ever seen such aberrations? Ever even heard of such things? You and I both know creatures like that don't exist.

The Game: The one that started it all. Mild mannered single dad Harry Mason and his daughter Cheryl experience a sudden car crash while traveling to Silent Hill on vacation. After awakening in the town, Harry remains unhurt but finds that Cheryl is nowhere to be seen. Pushing through the eerily thick fog, Harry scours the seemingly abandoned town to find his daughter. But how deep into the nightmare is he willing to go?

Being a fresh new PS1 owner, FMVs were all the rage for me, especially after almost a year of envy as an exclusive N64 owner. When I saw magazine scans of Silent Hill's breathtaking CG, I was immediately intrigued. It wasn't too long until I snagged a demo disc from OPM, ready to see what Konami had cooked up after their incredible Metal Gear Solid game.

I was not prepared; As soon as you start the game, you realize that you've never played anything like it. Things start out incredibly quiet (too quiet), the music incredibly downplayed as mere ambiance. It isn't long until the sound starts to rise up in tension as the screen darkens from the sudden shift to night, and the horror begins to take you. When the game world turns to daylight again.....the nightmare continues.

This game still holds my personal distinction as the scariest entry in the series, in fact the scariest game of all time. In the early Resident Evil games, you were given a very limited supply of ammo, encouraging you to spend more time avoiding enemies than shooting them. Silent Hill took things further by giving you limited ammo, increasing the number of monstrosities looking to eat you, and make your character an easily fatigued, clumsy everyman who has to struggle just to make it to the end of the street. With the number of monsters, the obscuring vision (either by fog, rain, or pitch black night), the horrific imagery of a town transformed into a hell on earth, and the sudden surround sound of freakish noises, there isn't a single point in this game that players feel safe.

Did You Know?
The game is loaded, and I mean LOADED with easter eggs. Some are obvious and easy to spot, others require an almost sequence-breaking amount of camera fiddling to spot them. Once there was a website that attempted to collect all of these in-jokes, but it's been lost to me. Until then, this video does a decent job of spotting at least half of these.

Videos of Interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tty7stwZBsY

Silent Hill 2

2q3qgr4.jpg

Is it dead? (poke) What the hell is it?

The Game:Taking place an undetermined time after the first game, Silent Hill 2 features a new, not-quite-mild-mannered protagonist named James Sunderland, who was given a letter from his dead wife Mary that she is waiting for him in their favorite vacation spot, Silent Hill. What awaits him is a tender reunion with his lost love. Oh wait, no....it's actually pain and suffering through a downward spiral of madness and hate.

The first PS2 game to wow me visually, and one that still holds up to this day, Silent Hill is regarded by most fans as the best game in the series. I'm not inclined to debate that, although I feel that its scare factor doesn't quite reach the original game's nonstop horror. Instead, SH2 takes a quieter, more disturbing approach to scare you, by putting you knee-deep into the inner torment that James and the other characters experience, with one of the best written plots ever seen in a videogame, full of still-discussed twists and theories. It also features the best set pieces in the series, from the vacant apartments, the graffiti-ridden streets and the underground prison. The monsters don't put up much of a fight as the creatures in the first game, but that looming fear still remains.

Did You Know? Pyramid Head's infamous introduction, seen below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6LLidwpvf4

was inspired by Dennis Hopper's similar introduction in Blue Velvet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUPzRfxG9Kc

Videos of Interest:

From the Art of Silent Hill 2 DVD, these two abstract and all-around fucked up videos serve as a tech demo of sorts, showcasing the kind of aesthetics the artists of Team Silent were looking for. It's worth noting that the freakish, female-looking creature was going to be a boss character along with Pyramid Head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqwlX8WGSFM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssr2KPrMDsY

Silent Hill 3

2iwahs9.jpg

Monsters? They looked like monsters to you...?

The Game: Young teenager Heather was just wrapping up her day in a local shopping mall (which, notably, is far and away from the town of Silent Hill), when an old detective approaches her, claiming to have some important details about her birth. After successfully giving him the slip, Heather finds her path outside the mall blocked, forcing her to find another exit inside. What she doesn't know is that she has been summoned by the town, and it's not going to let her go.

Featuring even better visuals than the 2nd game, Silent Hill 3 feels closer to the original game in terms of horror (and for good reason, as you'll discover later on), bringing back more aggressive monsters along with some really funky organic graphic effects. Main character Heather is also a breath of fresh air, neither bland like Harry nor emotionally distant like James. On the outset, she appears like your average teenager, even going so far as to crack a few jokes during her descent into madness, but a deep, dark secret lurks within those blond curls. If Silent Hill 3 were the end of a trilogy, it would have been a perfect way to wrap up the series.

Did You Know? Having a Silent Hill 2 save file in the same memory card as Silent Hill 3 opens up some additional messages and cutscenes that bridge the two games together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIPGW09zjbc

Videos of Interest:

Why does Europe get all the good SH stuff? With their copy of the game came a freaky bonus video of Silent Hill's cuddly mascot, Robbie the Rabbit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdaSeHaWHrs

How to run Silent Hill 3 in Widescreen and Custom Resolutions on your PC

The PC port of Silent Hill 2 is pretty, certainly a step up from the PS2 version, but it only features a set amount of resolutions and a very annoying delay when viewing the map or looking at puzzles. The PC version of Silent Hill 3 improves on these faults in every single way, and with little to no effort, you can customize the resolution to however you want, as well as hack the game to run at a widescreen ratio. The results are quite gorgeous.

2cx6cde.jpg

Here's the instructions in how to achieve this, taken from the Widescreen Gaming forum.
http://wsgfmedia.com/uploads/paddywak/files/sh3FOV.rar

This FOV tool can be used to set the FOV for the game in widescreen.

To get the game going in widescreen ....

Run the game once in a 4x3 resolution ... and set up all the details/quality that you want.

Note : The Rendering Resolution ... set in the game options menu is not the resolution that the game will run at but the size of the textures that the game will use.

Exit the game... edit the disp.ini in the SILENT HILL 3 folder.
Set the Size to 1920x1080 ..... or your desired widescreen resolution.

Warning: If you go back into the Options menu in the game after you have set this resolution... the game will revert back to default resolutions.

Now run the FOV tool... Set it to ...

Width Field of View (FOV): 0.91
Height Field of View (FOV): 1.1

Leave it running and start the game.

Silent Hill 4: The Room

14w8129.jpg

I'm always watching you. I'm ALWAYS watching you.

The Game: Having even less of a connection to the town than SH3's Heather, Henry Townsend was enjoying the simple life in his apartment room only to wake up one day and find his apartment door completely sealed and barricaded, and all communications with the outside world severed. After five days of confinement (and somehow not losing his marbles in the process), a large hole opens up in Henry's bathroom, offering him a way out....but not a way to freedom.

Lots of people consider SH4 the black sheep of the series, featuring a tedious "hub-world" in the form of Henry's room, requiring repeat visits back and forth to gather the necessary items to proceed. It also features an annoying new enemy in the form of unkillable ghosts, who cause damage just by being close to the player. Despite these issues, I still hold this game in high regard. It still manages to evoke the same feel and dread of the previous Silent Hills, and the plot is the most intriguing of the four, with loads of cool details and creepy secrets as Henry's apartment grows closer and closer to the "other side". It also features some of my favorite music in the series, including Wounded Warsong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhoD9MUDts

If Gans skipped ahead and made this the adaption for the next Silent Hill movie, I would be overjoyed. Everyone knows about SH2's twist by now, anyway.

Did You Know? Walter Sullivan was mentioned in Silent Hill 2, under one of the text documents.

James' father is also the landlord of Henry's apartment.

Videos of Interest:

Robbie is Watching You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BPLmr2VSY0

Silent Hill: The Movie

29zo0lz.jpg

Look at me, I'm burning.

The [strike]Game[/strike] Movie: Directed by Christopher Gans, Silent Hill's live adaption retells the first game's story, replacing Harry with Rose, a [strike]single[/strike] mother searching for her missing daughter [strike]Cheryl[/strike] Shannon in the town of Silent Hill. Bad things happen. Lots of bad things.

Despite taking an unfortunately different direction in the second half (involving extremely cliched elements not present in the original game), this movie is an excellent adaption of the game. The director is clearly a huge fan of the series, and he went to great lengths to stick to the source material, even going so far as to have Akira Yamaoka resample most of his songs for the movie. The costume design and CG effects are gorgeous, no doubt freaking out a large number of film-goers who have never heard of the series before (my Mom still has nightmares over the demon babies). The dialogue is a bit on the cheesy side, but the good news is that there isn't too much of it (again, he stuck close to the source material). As one of the very few videogame movies to get it right, it gets a big recommendation from me.

Did You Know?
In the opening scene of the movie, Cheryl's name can be seen as graffiti.

34yspbm.jpg

Also, it has been recently announced that Roger Avery and Samuel Adida have been signed up for the sequel, and that filming will begin next year. Can't wait!

Silent Hill Origins

9kv4p5.jpg

They're all crazy.

The Game: Late night trucker Travis stops his big rig after almost hitting a passerby, and after exiting his vehicle spots a house enveloped in flames. Hearing the screams of someone trapped inside, he bursts into the house only to find a barely living, heavily burned child. After escaping the house with the girl, Travis instantly finds himself in the town of Silent Hill, fresh into the nightmarish curse that will keep it festering for years to come.

A prequel developed by NA developer Climax, Origins gets credit for adapting the SH feel and aesthetics, but also loses points for sticking too close to the formula without trying out anything new. The only difference here is the combat, which features breakable weapons and QTEs. Neither were well received by fans. It's still worth playing, especially in a dark room or outside at the dead of night, but it could have been so much more than just "Silent Hill's Greatest Hits".

Did You Know? Travis makes an appearance in Silent Hill: Homecoming.

2yjpz7n.jpg

Videos of Interest:

Beta footage of the game, back when it had a RE4 style camera. It's a good thing they nixed this, along with the crappy monster designs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnoUnG2SC8o

Silent Hill Homecoming

24cawp3.jpg

Alright, you cuff him, I'll read him his rights.

The Game: After coming home from an unnamed war, Alex finds his hometown of Shephard's Glen oddly vacant and overrun with monsters. He also learns that his little brother Josh is missing. Eventually he learns that the answers can be found in Silent Hill, which at this point is publicly known as a place you do not want to step foot in.

The first major console sequel since SH4, Homecoming has left fans divided. Some hate it, some praise it as a better game than SH4. I myself am split down the middle, acknowledging the great visual effects (especially the transitions between "normal" Silent Hill and the "other side" and more coherent dialog, but the story does not hold a candle to any of the previous games, featuring a twist you can spot from orbit. The game's combat, which works just fine, also takes away much of the fear and tension when you're character is perfectly capable of dispatching monsters, and at some points of the game you're actually required to kill all the enemies to advance. The game's heavy gore and final setting are also too noisy and lack the subtle horror of the series, feeling more like "Saw: The Game" (which ironically is being released soon by Konami). It isn't bad, but it's not among my favorite titles in the series.

Did You Know? Mary's maiden name (from SH2) is Shepard. A connection?

Also, taking into account its similar sounds and grunts, the game's final boss is apparently the same species as the unseen jailed monsters from SH2.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

20z7ehi.jpg

I want you to know, this will be different. We take this at your pace. We go back to the start.

Release Date: November 3, 2009

The Game: More than just a mere remake, Shattered Memories takes the familiar story of Harry and his missing daughter and transforms it into a psychological deconstruction of the first game's events. Did Harry just imagine the events of Silent Hill, or is his trip to the psyche ward an illusion in itself?

Despite being developed by Climax (Origins), I've got high hopes for this game. It seems to feature everything I've ever wanted in a horror game. Unfortunately, it's release has been pushed back from Halloween, but I'll still be eagerly anticipating this game.

Did You Know? The concept of a psyche patient retelling his events of Silent Hill have been rumored as a Silent Hill game since the launch of Silent Hill 3. Was this an unused concept by Konami, or did Climax get its idea from the persistent online rumor?

Videos of Interest:

Gamerscon 2009 trailer (warning, potential spoiler near the end of the vid).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D30ebrwVXQ

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Huh. Silent Hill thread. What's going on with this Silent Hill thread.

Thank you for making this, the last SH thread was pretty much me and everyone else taking the Shattered Memories thread way off-topic. I recently played through all of the games and by far the scariest thing in the series was running through the town in SH1 at night. Fucking scary as hell.

Also SH4 is trash and I hate it. I got 9 stars and all the endings so I feel my opinion is accurate. The game is half good, half crap, and you can pinpoint exactly when the game starts sucking. However, I am going to play devil's advocate here and defend one thing about the game. The ghosts are not that bad. Yes they're unkillable, that's true. However none of the normal ghosts are any kind of threat. The special ones are, but you get enough swords for all of them. The only one that's a problem is the one in the subway because I swear to god she's glitched and won't stay down for a stabbing. Other than that just run away from them and the only damage you'll ever take is proximity damage. Now the enemies that pop out of the wall on the escalator, that I can't defend. Those guys are fuckers and I hate them. Even with the God Axe they suck.

P.S., Snugglesworth you should change the italics under the picture of the door to "It was always you that I despised." It works in that it connects to the game and also reflects popular opinion of SH4!

Gilder on
  • Options
    DigitalismDigitalism Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have a burning desire to play these games again. Are the PC versions of SH2 and 3 any good? I'm on Windows 7 if that makes a difference, it would be amazing playing through them again with super nice graphics. Silent Hill 3 is probably my favourite in the series, I just felt it connected really well with the first game and Heather was a good protagonist. I've not played anything past 3 though.

Digitalism on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm curious as to how well Silent Hill 1 has aged. The temptation to download from PSN is damn near overwhelming!

Kami on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Also SH4 is trash and I hate it. I got 9 stars and all the endings so I feel my opinion is accurate. The game is half good, half crap, and you can pinpoint exactly when the game starts sucking. However, I am going to play devil's advocate here and defend one thing about the game. The ghosts are not that bad. Yes they're unkillable, that's true. However none of the normal ghosts are any kind of threat. The special ones are, but you get enough swords for all of them. The only one that's a problem is the one in the subway because I swear to god she's glitched and won't stay down for a stabbing. Other than that just run away from them and the only damage you'll ever take is proximity damage. Now the enemies that pop out of the wall on the escalator, that I can't defend. Those guys are fuckers and I hate them. Even with the God Axe they suck.

P.S., Snugglesworth you should change the italics under the picture of the door to "It was always you that I despised." It works in that it connects to the game and also reflects popular opinion of SH4!

SH4 had some hideously bad design choices, but it is the only piece of media, and the only game, to give me horrible nightmares every goddamned time I play it.

Seriously I know as soon as I hear that off-note plucked-strings intro that I just cashed in my ticket for a night of claustrophobic terrors where my mattress grows feet and tries to eat me, among other things.

It's a shame it did that one thing so well and got bogged down almost everywhere else.

Rust on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think Silent Hill 1 was the first survival horror game I played (I had actually bought a bunch of PS1 games over a summer while I was working, with the intention of playing them after the summer ended and I went back to college, but it took a while before I got around to playing them).
    After beating Silent Hill 1, I immediately bought my PS2 and Silent Hill 2 (this was within a few months of Silent Hill 3's release, which I was also looking forward too and bought on release day).

I played those three a lot, achieving all endings and such (still haven't gotten around to doing a 10-star run on any of them, though). Now I also own SH4, 0rigins, and Homecoming, but I've barely gotten around to playing 0rigins, only got about 70% of the way through SH4 and never beat it, and only recently got around to playing Homecoming (which I did beat and get all endings in a matter of a few days).

Homecoming was interesting. It wasn't quite as different as I feared it would be, but there were still some decidedly non-SH parts to it, and I think they borrowed too heavily from the movie's visual design. Also, I think the various plot twists I suspected when investigating Alex's house would have been better than the actual plot we got. I did like the weapons having alternate uses out of combat, but they didn't need to be QTEs and probably didn't need to be as common as they were.
    Also, it handled endings better than 0rigins and 3 (both of which only had 3 endings, and forced you to get the good ending the first time) and 4 (which left out the joke ending), though you shouldn't have been able to get the joke ending on your first playthrough (or at least not as easily as it was available). I like having multiple endings available to me the first time and not having a definitive ending for the games in this series (unfortunately game references in later games have pretty much confirmed the endings of almost every game), as well as fun things to shoot for on replays like joke endings and toy laser guns.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rust wrote: »

SH4 had some hideously bad design choices, but it is the only piece of media, and the only game, to give me horrible nightmares every goddamned time I play it.

Seriously I know as soon as I hear that off-note plucked-strings intro that I just cashed in my ticket for a night of claustrophobic terrors where my mattress grows feet and tries to eat me, among other things.

It's a shame it did that one thing so well and got bogged down almost everywhere else.

SH4 is pretty much the perfect example of a game that had some great ideas, but just really couldn't deliver on them. Nearly anything in the room when it starts going to hell was just amazingly creepy and worked so well. You keep telling yourself to stop, but you just have to look through the peephole while it's bleeding. And god help you if you picked up the doll. Unfortunately the game suffers from horrible fetch quest puzzles, backtracking the entire game, escorting, beep beep I'm a wheelchair, and burping nurses. I also thought Walter was a great idea to use as a villain and I thought he was a very interesting character, but the way he affected the gameplay just ended up pissing me off.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome thread title.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I recently played through all of the games and by far the scariest thing in the series was running through the town in SH1 at night. Fucking scary as hell.

Thank you sir for sharing my favorite moment in SH1. The part where you step out the backyard of the vacant house, the sky suddenly turns dark, that chilling music is playing
    , and you have to hoof it for at least five minutes while avoiding monsters remains my favorite SH moment of all time.

Starts at 8:15

Man, I would, but the thing is I really really love that quote from the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfa3EBvjbA0

It's my most quoted line from the series.
    Digitalism wrote: »
    I have a burning desire to play these games again. Are the PC versions of SH2 and 3 any good? I'm on Windows 7 if that makes a difference, it would be amazing playing through them again with super nice graphics. Silent Hill 3 is probably my favourite in the series, I just felt it connected really well with the first game and Heather was a good protagonist. I've not played anything past 3 though.

I recently tried SH2 on the PC (for the Maria sidequest, which is mostly "eh"). The game does look great on higher resolutions and it also has controller support, but the one nagging draw is the wait time when bringing up the map and inventory screens. It takes an extra couple of seconds than it would on the console versions.

Not sure if this applies to SH3, which I'd like to try soon.

I'd say a horror game that managed to scare the pants out of you should be considered (mostly) a success.

By the way, there's a Silent Hill Haunted Maze coming soon.

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh yeah, one more thing.

Silent Hill 3 has the unique distinction of a poppy guitar-rock song that causes a Pavlovian response of mortal terror.

That's some kind of accomplishment, right there.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Holy crap. I just discovered this, right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7PYaZVl8KQ

I had no idea about this, because I only ever lost that boss fight by being stabbed. I had no idea he had a grab move along with......a tongue. D:

• Options
    edited September 2009
    I love how there's pictures of Heather with no shirt on under her jacket in those videos Antihippy posted. And by love I mean hate because I liked her and that kind of fanservice for her is lame. Unless her Extreme X outfit is that bad, and I wouldn't know because humans can't beat Extreme mode 10 times but I think it's just a shirt, she doesn't even have anything that revealing. It just seems inappropriate for her character and the game you know?

Also my favorite song is by far

Music Box.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah the fanservice is kinda funky, but I just picked what I could find.

It's the art for the official ost cover btw.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    FoxtailFoxtail Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kami wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how well Silent Hill 1 has aged. The temptation to download from PSN is damn near overwhelming!

I'm glad you asked.

I'm someone who has always been interested in the SIlent Hill series, but for whatever reasons never actually purchased or barely played any of the games. I played the original SH demo way back before it even came out and remember being balls scared.

I recently downloaded Silent Hill on PSN, and I can say that as a first time player completely new to the series, it blows me away.

I could never get scared in any original Resident Evil game with their dated graphics, but Silent Hill actually has me anxious as I play because of the atmosphere alone. I'm playing scared and loving it. The controls and gameplay took a bit of getting used to as they are "looser" than say RE controls, but now I'm quite proficient with the iron bar and I'm enjoying exploration an absolute tonne.

I'm partway through the Alternate School and I can't wait to see what's next in this town. And I can't wait to play through all the games in the series!

Foxtail on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    On the subject of the "Tender Sugar" song, I'm saddened that there's no release of the really spooky version played during this cutscene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1__Wn7ehRE

That song made this scene especially awesome. Of course I could say that with pretty much any SH scene.

As for SH1, the beauty is that the old graphics give the game an abstract, distorted look which only heightens the experience. It's like an old looking horror movie like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the good one).

Edit: Slightly beaten. A word of advice for the monsters you face outside in the streets.

Run Away.

Run Away Run Away Run Away Run Away Run Away Run Away

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Check out his own album, iFuturelist.

It's... different.

edit: I really hope that they put silent hill 1 back to the PAL PSN though.

:(

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »

That's good for me at any rate, because I really wasn't a fan of SH3's music. I thought it was the worst of the series. It just didn't work for me. The only ones I enjoyed were the intro song and "End of Small Sanctuary". Don't even get me started on the credits song. Holy crap does that song suck balls.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yamaoka's music has been the one thing consistently good with each game, but I feel that he peaked with SH4 (which could come close to rivaling SH2 for best soundtrack). It could just be that the source material (Origins, Homecoming) hasn't inspired him enough, but the music in SM is sounding good so far.

• Options
    edited September 2009

That's good for me at any rate, because I really wasn't a fan of SH3's music. I thought it was the worst of the series. It just didn't work for me. The only ones I enjoyed were the intro song and "End of Small Sanctuary". Don't even get me started on the credits song. Holy crap does that song suck balls.

What is this craziness.

I love 3's ost alot. About the same as 2.

4 I didn't really feel that it's as solid as 2 or 3. Haven't heard 1 yet.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Foxtail wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »

I'm glad you asked.

I'm someone who has always been interested in the SIlent Hill series, but for whatever reasons never actually purchased or barely played any of the games. I played the original SH demo way back before it even came out and remember being balls scared.

I recently downloaded Silent Hill on PSN, and I can say that as a first time player completely new to the series, it blows me away.

I could never get scared in any original Resident Evil game with their dated graphics, but Silent Hill actually has me anxious as I play because of the atmosphere alone. I'm playing scared and loving it. The controls and gameplay took a bit of getting used to as they are "looser" than say RE controls, but now I'm quite proficient with the iron bar and I'm enjoying exploration an absolute tonne.

I'm partway through the Alternate School and I can't wait to see what's next in this town. And I can't wait to play through all the games in the series!

:^: :^: :^:

Downloading now! :mrgreen:

Kami on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For the first four installments, Silent Hill was one of my favourite game series. Not that I didn't enjoy the last two, I just didn't find them scary in the slightest. The soundtracks were still great though.

Favourite creepy moments:
    Silent Hill 2, in the apartment building, just before you fight Pyramid Head in the stairwell, and you go in the room next door to get a key or something. The room is completely silent, and as you walk across it, you suddenly hear a voice whispering what sounds like a prayer.

Fuck.
    Silent Hill 1. The school. The first time you cross over to wrong town. Harry walks out into the center of the courtyard, and the mark is on the floor. The music starts.

Shit.
    Silent Hill 3. I think it was near the end. A giant mirror on the wall. Something is mocing in the mirror. It squeezes into the tap... and emerges in the room with you. The room deteriorates. You realise that your fucking reflection is turning into some fucking zombie thing. Suddenly, your reflection stops moving completely and the room starts flashing red.

BALLS SHIT FUCK GET OUT OF MY HAIR LEAVE ME ALONE

Man, Silent Hill lost me a lot of nights sleep.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will admit that I didn't actually finish Silent Hill 2 or 3 because I am in fact a woman and have a vagina where my penis should be.

I know all about what happens though, I've read quite a few good plot synopses and analyses.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, the first game has aged ridiculously well compared to pretty much every other 3D PS1 game.

Hopes very high for Shattered Memories.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Silent Hill 2 was my first Silent Hill and for a while I was addicted to it, getting all endings and totally nerding out over plot explanations. I then went back to Silent Hill 1 which was way scarier with the ghost babies (D:D:D:) and the demon children with those obscene noises they make (D:D:D:). Silent Hill 3 was great despite having guessed the plot twist 5 minutes into the game and Heather's innate ability to accurately handle sub machine guns.
    I didn't particularly like how Silent Hill was somehow able to infect another place. Was it just Samael's foetus screwing with her head and she just killed a bunch of innocent people "they look like demons to you?!"? Why then was she able to see Douglas normally? If the monsters are cultists why did Vincent and Claudia appear "normal" and why would they try to kill her? I guess it really was Samael's or Claudia's influence but I still think what happens in Silent Hill should stay in Silent Hill.

Then Silent Hill 4 killed my love of the series and for some reason now I just can't play Siren/SH games alone anymore and noone has the stomach to play them with me. :(

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    For the first four installments, Silent Hill was one of my favourite game series. Not that I didn't enjoy the last two, I just didn't find them scary in the slightest. The soundtracks were still great though.

Silent Hill 2, in the apartment building, just before you fight Pyramid Head in the stairwell, and you go in the room next door to get a key or something. The room is completely silent, and as you walk across it, you suddenly hear a voice whispering what sounds like a prayer.
    That's actually some weird kind of to-do list.

It goes something like "get up, make coffee, remember dead wife, do laundry to forget..."

Rust on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

It goes something like "get up, make coffee, remember dead wife, do laundry to forget..."

Really? Man, that's even more unsettling.

I should get back into these, methinks

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As far as I can recall, Shattered Memories is coming to the Wii and PS2, right? Does anyone know if there are any plans to make the PS2 version somehow playable on the non-backward-compatible PS3s, like a PSN release or something?

A highly-anticipated new game sounds like a great way to introduce PS2 games on the PSN to me, at any rate.

Darlan on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Every single time, it's Silent Hill 2 that gets me.
    The elevator ride in the hospital, the radio crackles to life in the silent elevator and that creepy game show voice with no provocation, no explanation. They never speak of it again except to solve the puzzle to get some nifty ammo and health items from a box.

"Jaaaaaaaaaaames Sunderland! You're our next contestant!"

D:D:D:D:D:

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Really? Man, that's even more unsettling.

I should get back into these, methinks

I read it on a FAQ ages ago, even if you turn your TV up to blast volume the words are so hushed you'll probably never make them out.

I love Yahtzee's description of your first encounter with Pyramid Head:
    Your radio's going berserk and he's just standing there behind a set of bars, silently staring at you as if you've just done something he finds intolerably rude, like being in possession of all four limbs.

Rust on
  • Options
    Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Every single time, it's Silent Hill 2 that gets me.
    The elevator ride in the hospital, the radio crackles to life in the silent elevator and that creepy game show voice with no provocation, no explanation. They never speak of it again except to solve the puzzle to get some nifty ammo and health items from a box.

"Jaaaaaaaaaaames Sunderland! You're our next contestant!"

D:D:D:D:D:

I love those moments. And therefore I shall list the best one. Silent Hill 3's scene:
    The haunted house. You're in a cheesy carnival haunted house within an actual horror-filled carnival and it's just even more creepy that way.

It wasn't supposed to stop there...

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    As far as I can recall, Shattered Memories is coming to the Wii and PS2, right? Does anyone know if there are any plans to make the PS2 version somehow playable on the non-backward-compatible PS3s, like a PSN release or something?

A highly-anticipated new game sounds like a great way to introduce PS2 games on the PSN to me, at any rate.

Nope, not gonna happen.

And you're probably overestimating the anticipation level for it.

I'm more interested if they would do a remake, like what Sony is doing with god of war.

Also, apparently we get a SH2 film? Looks to be a sequel to the first rather then following the plot of SH2.

http://kotaku.com/5360270/silent-hill-2-movie-official

Haven't seen the first one, but apparently it's pretty good?

edit: oh wait, didn't see it mentioned under the silent hill movie spoiler in OP.

Sorry!

Antihippy on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Haven't seen the first one, but apparently it's pretty good?

People have been telling you lies. I'm sure it will be in no way related to the game and yet feature even MORE pyramid head than the first movie did.

Also, 4 may be shit but the soundtrack for it and 3 are my favorites.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I dunno, as a fanservice sort of film it looks alright.

And that one scene where PH rips out someone's skin was awesome.

3's soundtrack is my favorite as well. Prefer 2 over 4 though.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

SIRENT HIRR! NOBOODA! NICHE DIE EE DAYOOOOOOOO!!:evil:

SH3 UFO Ending+ song

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    As fucked up as silent hill is team silent has an awesome sense of humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDBX4tKDoCw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcSeUvkOw

Antihippy on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jacob's Ladder

"I'm not dead"
    "What are you then?"
    "I'm alive!"
    "Then what are you doing here?"

This dude does miss the flayed dog scene, which was a direct inspiration for the dog enemies in SH1.

Also for the first Silent Hill, Stephen King's The Mist was a big influence.
    The Mist

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Silent Hill is one of the few series that I freaking adore. Love the music, love the mood, etc. I personally prefer the music for SH3 and SH4, but the music for the first two work better in game than they do as stand-alone. Also, Joe Romersa's vocals are painful. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, on the otherhand, is golden.

I think I'm going to replay the first Silent Hill soon. Been meaning to for some time.

Silent Hill 4 is probably the only one of the first four I didn't bother to play through more than once. The whole babysitting + being chased part of the second half of the game ruined the experience for me.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I never got through Silent Hill 4.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Its funny, I always look at SH4 whenever i see it on a shelf, tempted to buy it. Just the thought of being trapped in a room is enough to set my claustrophobia off, not to mention its a silently hilly room. It gives me the same feeling as The Descent movie.

Although, like the movie it sounds like it gets less apealing as it goes on. Still tempted though.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Silent Hill has, for some unknown reason, been treated like shit by Konami. Its one of their biggest names, better money earners and yet since 3 they've let the name be used quite liberally and allwed the production of pretty poor imitations of earlier games, both in terms of design and technical function as anyone who has played and then watched Helloween play Homecoming can attest to.

DarkWarrior on