As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Underrated and little known movies

• Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    64m.jpg
    Versus

Something about how some of the fight scenes are shot is just amazing. The last one inparticular, took my breath away.

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mahnmut wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Grave of the Fireflies. Orphans in WW2 Japan. You will cry rivers.

I'd agree that is not a well-known movie (outside Japan). And it is good to watch.

But I don't think I could watch it again. I didn't just cry. I was depressed for a week. No film has ever affected me as deeply.

Seeing it the second time isn't so bad. The first time I didn't know what to expect. Neither did my roommate. Oh man were we depressed.

War sucks guys.

I watched it once, and I'll never watch it again. It wasn't one of those depressing, yet uplifting movies, it was just depressing, and it felt like I gained absolutely nothing from it.

edit: The movie "Nobody Knows" has a lot in common with Grave of the Fireflies, so if you like depressing portraits of Japanese kids fending for themselves, you should watch it. I liked it a lot more than Grave.

Second viewing was worse for me. Like the scene near the beginning [spoiler:8017d9fc06]when the older brother shows off on the monkey bars to cheer the little girl up about their mom? And it's kind of uplifting because he's putting a good face on things, soldiering on, etc., only this time you know for sure that it's absolutely hopeless? omg rivers.[/spoiler:8017d9fc06] I guess I'm kinda a wuss though. I'll order "Nobody Knows" from Netflix--thanks for the tip.

Conversely, "My Neighbor Totoro" is my #1 feel-good movie. I wouldn't think it would be little known here, since Disney pushed the DVD release pretty heavily (you can even by Totoro plushies at EPCOT!), but apparently I'm the only person in CT who has ever seen it. :(

My daughter can pretty much recite the entirety of Totoro from memory, she's seen it so many times. I hadn't seen it, but bought it when it came out thinking she'd like a Miyazaki movie, I had no idea how absurdly cute and awesome it was (it's nice to have a kids movie without any real conflict, even if it is unrealistic)

I brought my little triplet girl cousins over a copy of Kiki's Delivery Service when I watched them one time. They were transfixed but could only watch half of it before bed-time (it runs over the standard 90minute kids flicks after-all). I had to come back a week later and watch them again just so I could bring the movie because they were asking for "That witch movie" every night. I should get them a copy as a late XMas gift.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    X5 wrote:
    64m.jpg
    Versus

Something about how some of the fight scenes are shot is just amazing. The last one inparticular, took my breath away.

I liked Versus, but Kitamura is very hit and miss. Alive was fucking terrible, but Aragami and Azumi were somewhat entertaining.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Much love for Death to Smoochy, plus it's got Catherine Keener in it.

Surprised no one has mentioned Mean Guns yet. It's a complete on encore late at night movie starring not just Christopher "I still sound french and need a cough drop" Lambert but Ice T as well. The basic set up is bunch of guys anger a mob outfit then get placed in a prison and told that there is a million dollars available for the 4 people left alive. Decent action scenes, horrible acting, but the best part freaking Mambo music for action sequences GENIUS!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is the Princess Bride popular in America? Because it should be.

Grave of the Fireflies was a real eye-opener for me. Not just because of the historical message, but because it showed me how narrative tropes have got their hooks into me but good.

[spoiler:697333db54] I just couldn't believe that the two kids were funny and clever and kind and loving but they died anyway. And no-one learnt anything or even remembered them. Nothing good happened at all. THAT'S NOT HOW STORIES ARE SUPPOSED TO WORK! [/spoiler:697333db54]

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    poshniallo wrote:
    Is the Princess Bride popular in America? Because it should be.

Incrediby so, to the point of religious status among some circles.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've got to agree with the OP about "Brick". I must have watched that movie over a half dozen times these past few months. It is probably the best neo-noir ever created.

One that I haven't seen mentioned here is "But I'm a Cheerleader." It is a great comedy that got very little play because of the MPAA shooting it down. You can probably find it in a bargin bin by now real cheap. It is basically about a girl who's parents think she is gay, so they send her to a reeducation camp, where she then becomes a lesbian. Absolutely hilarious with non-too subtle satire.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179116/

It seems to have a low rating on IMDB, but don't let that stop you from checking it out.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    richpearichpea Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Anyone seen the Korean/Chinese movie 'Musa' aka 'The Warrior' in English? That film rocks, and is one of the most underated.. or just plain unknown, Asian epic action films out there.
    Also, 'Brotherhood of the Wolf', a French martial arts historical action flick is awesome. Incredibly stupid, but abso-fuckin-lutely awesome (in the true American sense of the word 'awesome').
    Everybody should see 'Amores Perros', just to see where Gael Garcia Bernal and Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu came from!
    Terry Gilliam's 'Brazil' is a classic, and even has Robert De Niro playing an air conditioning repair man... not enough people have seen that movie!
    Couldn't agree more about the 'Grave of the Firefly' comments, that movie is something else... that and 'Watership Down' really confirm my belief that mere cartoons, as haters like to call them, can convey real and powerful messages.
    I could go on and on.... but, seeing as I'm in Korea right now I'll push the Korean movies I don't think enough people have seen! 'Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring' is a brilliantly shot mood piece and study of the cycle of life and the idea of religion in a secular world.
    'Brotherhood: Taegukgi' is just about the best Korean War movie i've ever seen. It tells the story of a family ripped apart by the war... in terms of scale, photography, acting... this is just an awesome movie. Its also refreshing to see the story of a war not told from the US point of view but from the point of view of the people it affected most.

Anyway..... guess thats enough for now.... hope I didn't post anything thats too obvious or someone else talked about!

Cheers!

richpea on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Brotherhood of the Wolf was an excellent fight movie.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Brotherhood of the Wolf was an excellent fight movie.

It's one of very few films I have purchased and watched more than once.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cronus wrote:
    I've got to agree with the OP about "Brick". I must have watched that movie over a half dozen times these past few months. It is probably the best neo-noir ever created.

One that I haven't seen mentioned here is "But I'm a Cheerleader." It is a great comedy that got very little play because of the MPAA shooting it down. You can probably find it in a bargin bin by now real cheap. It is basically about a girl who's parents think she is gay, so they send her to a reeducation camp, where she then becomes a lesbian. Absolutely hilarious with non-too subtle satire.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179116/

It seems to have a low rating on IMDB, but don't let that stop you from checking it out.

i saw that. funny movie. the cheerleader one.

also brick is fantastic.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    brazil is fantastic, if hard to watch. It's no wonder they use it in film classes though (where I heard of it, from a cousin who took a course). It's perfectly directed. Mkes you feel uncomfortable, directs along with the story. amazing.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Idk how underrated it is, but Waking Life is one of my favorite movies, and I'd never heard of it til this summer.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Variable wrote:
    brazil is fantastic, if hard to watch. It's no wonder they use it in film classes though (where I heard of it, from a cousin who took a course). It's perfectly directed. Mkes you feel uncomfortable, directs along with the story. amazing.

I love everything of Terry Gilliam I've ever seen.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Has Barefoot Gen been mentioned in this thread? It is a lot like Grave of the Fireflies except with more cartoonish graphics. I almost cried near the end.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_Gen

Couscous on
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't think any of these have been mentioned; then again I'm a spazz, so if they have, I apoligize.

battleroyalepostergo2.jpg

Crazy Japanese kids killing each other on a desert island. Need I say more?

thelifeaquaticpostercp3.jpg

I can't fault Wes Anderson. This movie is genius, shame most people don't get it.

fromdusktilldawnposter1mk3.jpg

Gorey violence, naked chicks, vampires. Seriously, what more could you want?

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Average looking cover, suprisingly excellent movie:
    dead_birds_01.jpg
    Dead Birds, best horror film i've seen in a decade.

And Session 9 - extremely cerebral, with possibly one of the greatest ending lines in the history of cinema. tho it may now be one of those underrated movies that gets just enough appreciation for a negative reaction and becomes overrated, im not sure.

Prohass on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Your Session 9 link is broken. But yes, that movie was amazing. There are 3 ways to make a great horror movie:

Alien

Event Horizon

Session 9

Bubba Hotep was also wonderful. Also for some reason I didn't hear a thing about ladykillers_us.jpg until I passed by it in a movie rental place. Absolutely delightful movie. I'm not sure how well known it is though. I love all the Coen Brothers' work.

JAEF on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Feral wrote:
    mr_ekim wrote:
    sneakerssmallwy0.jpg

Out of all the movies that attempted to portray the hacker/cracker community correctly, this one got the closest. Smart, well written movie.

Yes.
    Whistler is one of the coolest characters ever.

Argh every time I bring Sneakers up when talking about movies no one ever has a clue what I'm talking about. Its one of my all time favorite movies. With so many big names in it you would think more people would know about it.

powersurge on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    powersurge wrote:
    Argh every time I bring Sneakers up when talking about movies no one ever has a clue what I'm talking about. Its one of my all time favorite movies. With so many big names in it you would think more people would know about it.
    I feel the same about Jacob's Ladder--though maybe I'm the only one that missed it the first time around and am attributing my thoughts to everyone else.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mahnmut wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Grave of the Fireflies. Orphans in WW2 Japan. You will cry rivers.

I'd agree that is not a well-known movie (outside Japan). And it is good to watch.

But I don't think I could watch it again. I didn't just cry. I was depressed for a week. No film has ever affected me as deeply.

Seeing it the second time isn't so bad. The first time I didn't know what to expect. Neither did my roommate. Oh man were we depressed.

War sucks guys.

I watched it once, and I'll never watch it again. It wasn't one of those depressing, yet uplifting movies, it was just depressing, and it felt like I gained absolutely nothing from it.

edit: The movie "Nobody Knows" has a lot in common with Grave of the Fireflies, so if you like depressing portraits of Japanese kids fending for themselves, you should watch it. I liked it a lot more than Grave.

Second viewing was worse for me. Like the scene near the beginning [spoiler:a6c35ac22e]when the older brother shows off on the monkey bars to cheer the little girl up about their mom? And it's kind of uplifting because he's putting a good face on things, soldiering on, etc., only this time you know for sure that it's absolutely hopeless? omg rivers.[/spoiler:a6c35ac22e] I guess I'm kinda a wuss though. I'll order "Nobody Knows" from Netflix--thanks for the tip.

Conversely, "My Neighbor Totoro" is my #1 feel-good movie. I wouldn't think it would be little known here, since Disney pushed the DVD release pretty heavily (you can even by Totoro plushies at EPCOT!), but apparently I'm the only person in CT who has ever seen it. :(

My daughter can pretty much recite the entirety of Totoro from memory, she's seen it so many times. I hadn't seen it, but bought it when it came out thinking she'd like a Miyazaki movie, I had no idea how absurdly cute and awesome it was (it's nice to have a kids movie without any real conflict, even if it is unrealistic)

Your daughter fairly rules. I'm pretty much the same way. I also thought that Totoro was far superior to Kiki's Delivery Service, good though that one is.

I submit for this thread: Cold Comfort Farm.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    powersurge wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    mr_ekim wrote:
    sneakerssmallwy0.jpg

Out of all the movies that attempted to portray the hacker/cracker community correctly, this one got the closest. Smart, well written movie.

Yes.
    Whistler is one of the coolest characters ever.

The chick with the Uzi... Is she single?

Also, The Original Ladykillers had Obi-Wan in it. Obi-Wan with extremely hilariously bad teeth.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Prohass wrote:
    Average looking cover, suprisingly excellent movie:
    dead_birds_01.jpg
    Dead Birds, best horror film i've seen in a decade.

Oh and again cover doesnt convey the film, extremely cerebral, with possibly one of the greatest ending lines in the history of cinema:
    session_nine.jpg
    tho it may now be one of those underrated movies that gets just enough appreciation for a negative reaction and becomes overrated, im not sure.
    I thought Deadbirds was a great horror film, as well.

And Jacob's Ladder is one of the best movies of all time, totally.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dammit, BLockbuster online doesn't have Battle Royale. :( Sounded awesome.

Virum on
  • Options
    BewisBewis Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    no-mans-land.jpg

Bewis on
    donatedestruction.png
    Please, think of the children.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Just saw the Constant Gardener again. Man that movie didn't get nearly enough love.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bewis wrote:

Oh man
    I saw a preview for that once and got really interested, then completely forgot about it as the movie I was watching must have been good

Oh man

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Just saw the Constant Gardener again. Man that movie didn't get nearly enough love.

It was pretty damn good, if a bit enraging.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bewis wrote:
    It won an Oscar over Amelie so I wouldn't call it underrated.

Hoz on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    proposition-sundance.jpg

Easily one of the most underrated movies to come out this decade. The acting is perfect and the cinematography is stellar.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Brotherhood of the Wolf gets little credit as a fun, different action/monster movie.
    Also it's French, so the action is very flashy. It also involves a Mohawk Indian doing kung-fu.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Brotherhood of the Wolf gets little credit as a fun, different action/monster movie.
    Also it's French, so the action is very flashy. It also involves a Mohawk Indian doing kung-fu.

I loved Brotherhood of the Wolf. It was so amusing how it refused to pick a genre and stick with it. One minute it's an action movie, the next a period piece, the next a strange fantasy horror flick.

There were some kickass fights in that movie, and I loved the overall feel. I only hope we'll see more solid stuff from Gans (although I did like Silent Hill)

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

I loved Brotherhood of the Wolf. It was so amusing how it refused to pick a genre and stick with it. One minute it's an action movie, the next a period piece, the next a strange fantasy horror flick.

There were some kickass fights in that movie, and I loved the overall feel. I only hope we'll see more solid stuff from Gans (although I did like Silent Hill)
    Oh yeah he did do that didn't he? Yeah, the only complaints I have about those movies are minor details that aren't worth dragging up. Good cinematography all around too.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Oh yeah he did do that didn't he? Yeah, the only complaints I have about those movies are minor details that aren't worth dragging up. Good cinematography all around too.

It also has the single greatest transfer ever, from Monica Bellucci's breasts to snowy mountains.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm not at home so I'm going to have to add some to this list when I get back in a few days:

B000034DDR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    Spitfiregrill
    This might not be underrated I dunno it did win a sundance award back in like '95

B00006JMQ4.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056723918_.jpg
    Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys

Speakmovieposter.jpg
    Speak

B00005Y6XC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    How to kill your neighbor's dog - dramedy with extremely funny dry wit

and I'm going to have to second Battle Royale, Brick and Das Experiment

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hoz wrote:
    Bewis wrote:

Amelie was way good.

I didn't know that there was a Speak movie. I read the book; wasn't impressed, really, though I felt bad for the girl. How does the movie compare? I find that I almost believe it would be better than the book.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    Bewis wrote:

Amelie was way good.

I didn't know that there was a Speak movie. I read the book; wasn't impressed, really, though I felt bad for the girl. How does the movie compare? I find that I almost believe it would be better than the book.

I didn't read the book so I can't really compare but I thought it was done pretty well.

[spoiler:e36d5a6f3e]So in the movie you don't really know what trauma she sustained so throughout the movie you get little flashbacks to the party which gives you a little idea but still leaves you wondering... the first time I saw it it didn't seem like a beat you over the head with the plot kind of movie so I really liked it because of that[/spoiler:e36d5a6f3e]

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    NinyuNinyu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

My contribution to this thread.

Ninyu on
    "It would be cool if you lived with a monster, you would never get hiccups." - Mitch Hedburg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ninyu wrote:
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

My contribution to this thread.

I <3 the Lady Chablis.

Feral on

• Options
    WyveanWyvean Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Love this movie. So much that I bought it twice, in fact. Damned studio double-dips.

However, you'd be hard pressed not to tell me that the CGI done for the bonesword/whip wasn't atrocious.

Wyvean on