As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I'm pretty sure I'm extremely sick

2»

• Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kyzen wrote:
    Funny thing is that I'm deathly afraid of needles. Some people are afraid of spiders, others of the dark, some of heights. I hate needles. So as soon as the doctor said he would be drawing blood, I kindly asked if I could have a sucker from the waiting room. Try to imagine a 22 year old guy crunching on a blue raspberry lollipop and staring at the wall, trying to remain calm for the 10 seconds or so I had to wait to get my blood drawn. I think that has been the worst part of this whole ordeal so far.

Something that has worked for me regarding needles. I look away and then pinch myself hard in the leg or under the bicep in my opposite arm before I get the needle. Then I don't feel the needle, only the pinch I'm giving myself.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I got deadly afradi of needles as a kid. I was allergic to bees so I always had to get Epinepherim(sp?) shots which bascially burn like acid. Later on I found gettring blood drawn is nothing in comparison.

Hope you're ok dude.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So the Doc ruled out everything but Hepatitis?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    KyzenKyzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Xaquin44 wrote:

No, but he felt it was the most likely option, and out of concern for my wallet, offered to test for only hepatitis. If that comes back negative there's some others he'd like to test for, including mono.

Kyzen on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kyzen wrote:
    Xaquin44 wrote:

No, but he felt it was the most likely option, and out of concern for my wallet, offered to test for only hepatitis. If that comes back negative there's some others he'd like to test for, including mono.

Mono from my experience:

-feeling extremely tired
    -Lethargic
    -No energy
    -Lots of mucus
    -Can't taste much
    -Queezy
    -Possible vomiting
    -Extreme Hot and Cold feelings

At least that was my experience, so if you are experiencing most of those symptons, then perhaps you do have Mono.

precisionk on
  • Options
    KyzenKyzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Update:

Woke up today feeling healthier than I have in a week.

Heard back from the doctor at 4:30 after calling them 3 times.

The results showed some abnormal liver functioning, and he wants me to come in for some more tests Tuesday (when my insurance kicks in). I was told to call them immediately if the stomach pains returned, or if my eyes yellowed more than they are now, or if my skin began to yellow as well.

So... yeah. More waiting for me. Joy.

Kyzen on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keep us posted, and I hope you feel better

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DrMichaelDrMichael Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    I'm glad you found someone to give you necessary advice. What your doctor may not have told you is that the most important part of the blood test was to discover what wasn't present, namely abnormal pancreatic enzymes (lipase or amylase). This was the emergent reason for you to be seen. Hepatitis alone isn't the best thing that can happen to a young person, but it's infinitely better than pancreatic disease (which has a similar set of symptoms).

Not all hepatitis is even viral. You mentioned drinking heavily two days before your symptoms, and in some people alcohol can produce an inflammation of the liver in absence of other disease. This kind of hepatitis goes away and stays away if you don't drink. Sometimes, gallstones can be a cause, although it's less likely in someone your age. That said, it's a good idea to wait for your viral serologies to come back just in case, and to abstain from drinking or exposing other people to your blood or body fluids until you know more.

If the viral serology is negative, expect your doctor to ask for an abdominal X-ray or ultrasound once your insurance kicks in. I wish you the best of luck.

DrMichael on
  • Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I am (hopefully) finishing a bad case of mono.

Keep in mind that mono also attacks the liver. Mine got hit pretty bad.

Bendit on
    My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man, I said go to ER. Didn't I say go to ER?

Anyhow, good to see the docs are on it. And careful with the insurance company, they're slippery buggers.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Make sure you don't drink any alcohol, with your liver not acting properly. I probably shouldn't even have to tell you this.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not sure we'll see anything until at least tomorrow on this, but any updates?

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.