As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[music] Relaxing Study Music

4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for music along the lines of Goldfrapp (Seventh Tree or Felt Mountain), The Album Leaf, Royksopp, Lemon Jelly, Bonobo, Thievery Corporation, Kruder and Dorfmeister, Mum, Boards of Canada, Sigur Ros, and Explosions in the Sky. That's a pretty un-same list, but I hope you get the gist of what I'm looking for.

Or alternatively just give me a list of music that you love listening to while studying. This stuff transports me to another dimension entirely, it seems. :)

Thanks for any and all suggests.

4rch3nemy on

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Flashbulb (I used to have a link to his record company in my sig)
    Red Sparowes is in a similar vein to Explosions in the Sky
    Amon Tobin and The American Dollar are similar to Boards of Canada

Personally, I also like Philip Glass and New Age-y music (Andreas Vollenweider, David Arkenstone) while I am hitting the books.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Explosions in the Sky are post rock. You might wanna check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor, God Is An Astronaut, Mono and .sgt

Also, check out M83's Saturdays = Youth.

Tav on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You might as well go buy the three Helios albums on Amazon. Start with Eingya, then Caesura, and then Unomia if you want a bit more.

Friend of mine was looking for the exact same thing, and heard me playing songs from Eingya when he was over at my place, and now it's one of his favorite albums.

When I get home I could list out more stuff in the vein of Mum, Boards of Canada, Bonobo, K&D. Seems like Explosions in the Sky is an outlier in your group (not that it's bad), but is the most different from the rest.

And Amon Tobin is similar to Bonobo, not Boards of Canada ;D

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd second the suggestion of Explosions in the Sky. Great band, great music.

Whenever I'm trying to study or concentrate (for me it's when I'm drawing), I recently started listening to the new Muse album. It really seems to stimulate my mind without distracting me.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Friday Night Lights soundtrack (all done by Explosions in the Sky).

Sigur Ros - ()

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    JdNoaJdNoa Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stuff I listen to as coding music (which I find requires the same sort of feel as I used to look for in study music):

Ulrich Schnauss, Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92, Quadra - Based on a True Story, Global Communication, Single Cell Orchestra, Speedy J

JdNoa on
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm a big fan of stuff like Pretty Lights or Ratatat for this situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfZAxZW-Ouo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0VAkPjrnWM

milehigh on
  • Options
    ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sounds to me like you need some Hammock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ayuRE5xd8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOW2Nmb94vw&feature=related

Alternately, pick up a few CDs of classical music. I'm not enough of a classical scholar to tell you what composers are better or worse for studying, but try and find some of the the lighter more melodic stuff.

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As someone else suggested, Philip Glass. That's pretty much all you need, maybe Bach's Brandenburg Conciertos.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Helios. LOVE Helios and it shoulda been on my initial list. Check out Eluvium, which you also re-reminded me of.. you'll love it if you love Helios. <3

Max Richter has some really good sparse piano melodies that keep me dreamy. Check them out if you like this kind of music.

Hammock is a great suggestion that has been on my "sleep" playlist for quite some time. Thank you for reminding!

Ratatat and Pretty Lights are just too busy for studying, IMO.

Ulrich Schnauss and Global Communication are great! Also was on my sleep playlist. 76:14 is one of the best ambient albums ever made. (have yet to check out your other suggests but I'll probably love them).

Amon Tobin has some great stuff. Love chocolate elvis. Going to check out the other suggests as well.

If you guys have anymore suggestions, I'm still all ears! Can always use more!

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Cinematic Orchestra
    Telefon Tel Aviv
    Red Sparowes

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I prefer music I don't know (and it has to be without lyrics), so I usually stream random ambient, nature, or classical stations. If I recognize something I usually focus on it to some degree.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aphex Twin is a good choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQbNx_TZrbo

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Acorn, if it hasn't already been mentioned. Very chill folk/pop.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jack Johnson.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Juana Molina's "Un Dia" is a standard part of my Monday morning work routine. The whole album is great background music for getting stuff done. Just... uh... try not to imagine the scary head eating you while you try to relax.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlJjVdzPDY

Cocteau Twins are also good for this. If the voice sounds familiar, Elizabeth Frasier did some tracks with Massive Attack and is generally awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtBr5JKSuks

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The Acorn is so great. Thank you. Reminds me to put some Kings of Convenience, Iron and Wine or Plants and Animals on my playlist. A little busier but that's not necessarily a bad thing. My playlist sounds like one to sleep to so far.

Cocteau Twins! How could I forget. I love the collaboration with Harold Budd.. ambient dreampop at it's finest.

Aphex Twin is good when you consider the 2 ambient releases he's done (albums, anyways). Some of it is a little ugly for my study time but there are some definite gems on those 2 albums. The rest is too glitchy/IDM for studying even though I love the Richard D James album and Drukqs.

The Cinematic Orchestra - Excellent! How did I miss this when I know of Ninjatune all too well? I suck. This is great stuff.

Telefon Tel Aviv - Added. Reminds me of.. *digs through his epic music collection* Kelpe, Seven Ark, Cepia, and Ochre. I had some TTA but apparently lost it in the mix.

Red Sparowes I haven't heard of until now.. youtube'd 'em and they're great post-rock! You just reminded me of a few MORE post-rock outfits. Tortoise which I love.. they're so chill and really different for post-rock. The Samuel Jackson Five which has a hilarious name but is really damned good. Do Make Say Think is really great, if only for their first album (which has a special place in my heart as one of the best post rock albums ever made). Lights Out Asia is so soothing.

Still looking for more! I'll post the artists I've got in my studying playlist (full of post-rock, chillout, idm, and ambient) in a week or so. I'll keep adding until then.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    TylanthusTylanthus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Autechre - Incunabula
    Boredoms - Super AE
    Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
    Mogwai - Happy songs for happy people
    A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corners of Our Rooms

And maybe (not very soothing, but definitely study-worthy)... Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Szueletett

Tylanthus on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How come no-one's mentioned Sigur ros?

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Because he mentioned sigur ros in his original post :P

Also definately check out do make say think like someone else suggested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd411muNmbg&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPoNoNvyu5k

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you're looking for slow and dreamy, don't forget Labradford and Pan American. With an electronic tinge, there's Colleen (first two albums) and Marsen Jules (Les Fleurs).

I'm partial to The Books but they might be a little busy in some spots. Even when they're busy, though, it's not loud. Might keep you awake during studying without making you want to pound things.

You probably own some Plaid and there's plenty of good stuff in there, especially in Not For Threes and Rest Proof Clockwork. Bola's first album just got re-released and is full of good mellow electronic music. Some Murcof might fit, and at least Vladislav Delay's Entain album would likely work quite well (as well as some of his other stuff).

For instruments w/o drums, there's Town and Country, especially their album C'mon. Swod's most recent album is rather laid back and is electronic drums and acoustic piano.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whenever I'm studying, I just have Pandora streaming some classical music. Really seems to help me relax.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ooo. I like this thread. Some of my favourite stuff in here.

I'll swing it into Prog territory... some select tracks from Blackfield (Cloudy Now), Anathema (The Silent Enigma), Oceansize (Long Forgotten), Marillion (Ocean Cloud), Pineapple Theif (Little Man), Porcupine Tree (Heartattack in a Lay By)....

I expect most of the above you might not be after. But they do fit the bill for relaxing and losing yourself into a trance, or at least that's what any moderate prog-dork will tell you. (* wavey*)

Also right down your alley will be Bliss.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    since most of the big ones have been touched on, I'm going to mention some smaller/less known artists that mostly have shallower catalogs, but are still worth checking out

Adore put out a pretty excellent EP earlier this year called Emotion that is full of pretty beautiful and chill electronica
    Air France are sometimes a bit busy but generally makes for good study music, and are great anyway
    Apparat. Seriously. Walls is an amazing album. Moderat, the collaboration he did with Modeselektor, is also great but is a little too thumpy and bass-heavy for study music.
    Bibio has been compared to Boards of Canada, but his releases vary a lot. My favorite is Ambivalence Avenue, but is a little louder and less relaxing than some of his other stuff.
    Boat Club are another band out of Gothenberg that do The Tough Alliance/Air France style stuff. They're more Royksopp-ish than the other two, I'd say.
    The Broadway Project is the electronica project of UK-based composer Dan Berridge, and is basically perfect for this kind of thing. A sweeping, epic kind of electronica. Compassion works best, thematically.
    Caribou - Check out Caribou. Another artist whose style differs album-to-album. The Milk of Human Kindness is probably his most traditionally electronic work and is probably best for this.

uh, I've got to run now but I'll post some more later if this thread is still going.

Monoxide on