As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying meself a keyboard (logitech, not music)

MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok. So I need a new keyboard because my old white one is pretty much yellow by now.

I need nothing fancy. I play a lot of games but all the 1337 gamerz keyboards seem pretty pointless and overpriced. Since I don't play WoW I don't need to have an orgy in macro buttons anyways. The Logitech 200 or Logitech Deluxe 250 seems to be exactly what I need.

My problem is this: I never used USB keyboards before and I know that the PS/2 one I have now starts beeping angrily at me if more than 3 buttons are pressed at once. I've heard that USB boards might be even more sensitive about this. Could someone enlighten me on how a USB keyboard behaves or, even better, one of those specific boards behave?

Movitz on

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Modern keyboards have an embedded processor to keep track of the currently pressed keys. Most can do around 8-ish (i think), so if I had to guess, you shouldn't have a problem.

At least, I've never had this problem.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The 3 button thing was a limit of the PS/2 standard. Most USB keyboards will do better than that, though it really varies. That is one things those gaming keyboards usually have- the ability for many simultaneous button pushes.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Deck Legend 105 or Das Keyboard. Any other keyboard is unacceptable in my opinion.

I have been using a Deck Legend 105 Gold for a couple years now and I fucking love it.
    Each key is individually backlit with an LED (Green, Red, and Blue are available colors) and it is impossible for the character to wear off as the dye for the character is injected into the plastic itself. The keys are also all Cherry MX mechanical spring switches for an excellent feel and crazy durability and longevity over membrane keyboards (which is the majority of the market right now.) The only frill this keyboard has is the LED backlighting, otherwise it has no additional features and is just a standard keyboard. Availble in USB or PS/2. I also just checked thier website and they have added a new LED color (light blue) and a couple options for the type of feel for the key, Linear and Tactile. http://www.deckkeyboards.com/

Das Keyboard also uses Cherry MX Tactile switches for its keystrokes, but the keys are not backlit like the Legend. However Das Keyboard weights the keys so that certain keys take less effort to press than others unlike the Legend which does not. You can even get the Das Keyboard with blank keys to reinforce touch typing skills. With the exception of a couple additional USB ports, there are no other frills. Availble in USB. http://www.daskeyboard.com/

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks guys. That pretty much answered what I needed to know. None of the makers of keyboards seem to specify how many buttons you can press at once. I'll just go for a medium priced brand board and hope for the best.

Biohaz. Those keyboards seem pretty nice (and a bit gimmicky) but they're not sold here in Sweden.

Movitz on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really like my Logitech Elite keyboard, but I doubt you'll find it anywhere as it's been discontinued.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Get a $7 Logitech keyboard from Newegg.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SekxtionSekxtion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have Das Keyboard and it. Is. Glorious. I love hearing the 'clickclickclickity' as I type.

Sekxtion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know, before I got my G15, I actually liked the ergonomics of the basic Dell keyboard more than the mid-range media keyboards. They really do have a nice springy feeling.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    Thanks guys. That pretty much answered what I needed to know. None of the makers of keyboards seem to specify how many buttons you can press at once. I'll just go for a medium priced brand board and hope for the best.

Biohaz. Those keyboards seem pretty nice (and a bit gimmicky) but they're not sold here in Sweden.

Neither keyboards are sold in brick and mortar stores as far as I know, but you can order them from distrubtors located in Europe.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone know of any good ergonomic keyboards? Right now I have a MS natural keyboard and it's grown on me to the point that other keyboards feel weird.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    NaeblissNaebliss Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I enjoy the saitek gaming keyboard like this one. They can be a bit pricey though.

Naebliss on
    This couch is the comfiest!
    Street Fighter 4 (pc): sdurien
    Steam: Jon http://steamcommunity.com//profiles/76561197970923897/home
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good ergonomic keyboards? Right now I have a MS natural keyboard and it's grown on me to the point that other keyboards feel weird.

I swore I would never use one of those "god damn ridiculous ergonomic keyboards". But then my wrist pains got bad enough that I was pretty much forced to try one.

I picked up a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. Long story short, I have fallen in love with it, and can't go back to a regular keyboard now.

<3

Kris on