As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

boxing day sales, used digi.cam., or eBay?

Chaotic DescentChaotic Descent Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
as a Xmas present, my mom wants to get me a digital camera, but she wants to get a used one. is that a bad idea? actually, I'm more suspicious of whether I'll actually get as good as deal for a used one locally than on eBay for a brand new one. I'm in a big Canadian city, but local prices always seem to suck. then again, shipping from USA to Canada often means you get raped with the border tax, even if it's used, even after the often-artificially seller-inflated shipping prices.

to make use of the boxing day sales, I suspect I have to be able to judge instantly whether an item is worth the sale or not, and I just haven't read enough about digital cameras to know that. should I just give up on that idea?

I want it for close-up shots of small indoor objects, as well as shots of stuff outdoors. also, I don't like non-rechargable batteries. (this stupid found MP3 player I have takes AAA batteries, and it just eats through them. horrible)

Chaotic Descent on

• Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    as a Xmas present, my mom wants to get me a digital camera, but she wants to get a used one. is that a bad idea? actually, I'm more suspicious of whether I'll actually get as good as deal for a used one locally than on eBay for a brand new one. I'm in a big Canadian city, but local prices always seem to suck. then again, shipping from USA to Canada often means you get raped with the border tax, even if it's used, even after the often-artificially seller-inflated shipping prices.

to make use of the boxing day sales, I suspect I have to be able to judge instantly whether an item is worth the sale or not, and I just haven't read enough about digital cameras to know that. should I just give up on that idea?

I want it for close-up shots of small indoor objects, as well as shots of stuff outdoors. also, I don't like non-rechargable batteries. (this stupid found MP3 player I have takes AAA batteries, and it just eats through them. horrible)

You can get around the border tax by insuring that the seller marks the package as a gift.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006

You can get around the border tax by insuring that the seller marks the package as a gift.
    it's not a guarantee. there's always a chance it gets taxed anyways, just like there's always a chance stuff that's 100% commercial merchandise DOESN'T get taxed. and not just because you're exempt for items under ... I forget if it's $20 or $10.

Chaotic Descent on
  • Options
    Lawnboy360Lawnboy360 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The "border tax", that is, the actual duty, isn't too expensive even if it does apply.

What's expensive are the custom brokerage fees charges for UPS standard ( http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html ). You can avoid those with USPS, the fees are $5 if they apply.

Lawnboy360 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    so... no actual advice on buying a digital camera... ?

I keep reading guides, but they never really give specifics. or if they do, they don't give explanations. one or the other. like at this place http://www.dpreview.com/
    Zoom wide (W) The 35 mm equiv widest zoom
    Zoom tele (T) The 35 mm equiv furthest tele zoom
    No idea what that means. and of COURSE that stuff isn't in the glossary.

one buyer's guide said to note things like the shortest period of time before you can take a second picture... but I don't even SEE stats like that on sales websites, and the guide that mentioned that sure didn't. (I suspect the in-depth comparison was reserved for registered users, which isn't free... hrm, I think it was Consumer Reports)

Chaotic Descent on