Options

Contact Lens Prescription Question

AnimeleeAnimelee Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys!

I looked all over Google for a good thirty minutes and couldn't really figure it out, so I thought I'd ask you guys here. It's just a quick question.

I just turned 23, and realized I've been wearing glasses for almost a good twenty years now! So last week, I took my prescription to an optician near my apartment, and today, I went over and picked up my first pair of contacts!

I'm loving them so far, however, my secret plan was to get an updated glasses-to-contact prescription from her along with my first pair, and then order contacts from www.clearlycontacts.ca afterward!

When I asked for a copy of theirs, they said it's for their own records, and that the next time I want contact lenses, I can just come back in and order a new pair from them. I think they were on to me! :X

So I got my original glasses prescription back from them, at least. Here it is: 54842007.th.jpg (67 is the pupillary distance. I also have amblyopia of the right eye, if that matters.)

Would anyone be able to transcode it to match this format here: https://www.clearlycontacts.ca/contact-lenses/Focus-Night-and-Day/prod92012.html

Thank you so much in advance! :bows:

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I need to get toric contact lenses, which have the cyl and axis aspects, unlike all of the other contact lenses I was looking at previously, which are for people that just need their "sph" inputted.

universeah3.jpg
Pokeymanz: 4081 1995 6825 (If you add me, let me know! :D)
Animelee on

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, here in Cali it is required by law for them to give a copy of the prescription, but I dunno how it works in Canadaland. You might have to order a box from them, the boxes usually have the prescription on the side. If you still have the disposable cases from the trial pair I assume they gave you those might have it on there as well.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    AnimeleeAnimelee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was about to grab one of the packages from the contacts, but the guy grabbed it from me, gave me a fake smile, and said it was garbage. They were definitely on to me, LOL!

I'm pretty sure I know how to order the contacts now, I'll just wait a few hours to see if anyone else can help me out. :D

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 4081 1995 6825 (If you add me, let me know! :D)
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Animelee wrote: »
    So I got my original glasses prescription back from them, at least. Here it is: 54842007.th.jpg (67 is the pupillary distance. I also have amblyopia of the right eye, if that matters.)

Would anyone be able to transcode it to match this format here: https://www.clearlycontacts.ca/contact-lenses/Focus-Night-and-Day/prod92012.html

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I need to get toric contact lenses, which have the cyl and axis aspects, unlike all of the other contact lenses I was looking at previously, which are for people that just need their "sph" inputted.

Do not use guesswork with regards to your eyes. If you get lenses that are not exactly right there can be very bad long term effects!

I took the very relaxed approach to contacts some years ago thinking that since I never felt discomfort everything was fine. In reality they were a little to tight fitting and had it not been found out it could have meant permanent damage with blood vessels growing in my eyes and obstructing my vision!

I recommend getting an eye doctor to take measurements. In essence get advice from someone not selling you goods but just information because they have no motivation to tell you something which match what they sell.

With that info get the lenses that fit and then set up appointments to get checked out at least once a year and the first year maybe each few months. It may be a bit expensive to start but you DO NOT TAKE CHANCES WITH YOUR EYES:!:

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Animelee wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I looked all over Google for a good thirty minutes and couldn't really figure it out, so I thought I'd ask you guys here. It's just a quick question.

I just turned 23, and realized I've been wearing glasses for almost a good twenty years now! So last week, I took my prescription to an optician near my apartment, and today, I went over and picked up my first pair of contacts!

I'm loving them so far, however, my secret plan was to get an updated glasses-to-contact prescription from her along with my first pair, and then order contacts from www.clearlycontacts.ca afterward!

When I asked for a copy of theirs, they said it's for their own records, and that the next time I want contact lenses, I can just come back in and order a new pair from them. I think they were on to me! :X

You can't swap a glasses prescription to contact lens prescription as they measure different things (e.g. curvature of the eye for contact lenses) My glasses and contact prescriptions have nothing in common.

Rook on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    go back to the optician and ask for your full contact prescription if they give you any hassle, remind them about the laws governing consumer choice and the better business bureua, which may not get you anywhere, but feel free to have a bit of a raised voice Project! It worked for me.

Stand up for the few rights you have as a consumer stop being nickel and dime'd because YOU wish to chose your price not their one. for looking after my eye I'll see a doctor after that it's numbers on a page and arguing about price.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You should be getting a copy of the prescription. In fact, today I am getting a new pair of glasses and a year's worth of contacts from Costco, even though my prescription is from Kaiser Permanente.

They are not entitled to be your supplier - you only paid them for the checkup and the prescription. Them not giving you a box is pretty lame. If they push the issue, just order only one box of each. The full lens prescription is written both on the boxes and on the individual lens packets as well.

But yeah, you are perfectly entitled to the actual prescription.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When ever I go to my optometrist to get my eyes checked for a new prescription they ask me if I'll be getting tested for contacts or glasses. I think that a contact lens has to factor more parameters than glasses. This is a bad idea.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    locopostallocopostal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When ever I go to my optometrist to get my eyes checked for a new prescription they ask me if I'll be getting tested for contacts or glasses. I think that a contact lens has to factor more parameters than glasses. This is a bad idea.

they do indeed. trust me when I say "corneal ulcers are a BAD THING." if your contacts aren't the proper prescription and fit they are super bad for your eyes. Of course, I'm biased now. I went back to glasses, saved the money i would have spent on contacts for a couple years, and then had a doctor shoot lasers into my eyes. much better.

locopostal on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How is your vision? Is it perfect or do you still have some slight blurriness?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    locopostallocopostal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How is your vision? Is it perfect or do you still have some slight blurriness?

the first time i went in, my eyes...healed too fast? anyway, had to do the procedure again (lifetime guarantee on it though, so I didn't have to pay for the second) and after that, everything is goddamn crystal clear. its amazing, having lived with glasses since i was 7. absolutely amazing. though the doctor tells me I will be almost guaranteed to need reading glasses as soon as I hit 40.

locopostal on