As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone with experience Shipping Cars

VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I got a car for Christmas. Well, the title, actually. The car is in California and I'm in Georgia. I need to get it here so that I might drive it. Anyone know how much this will cost me? Or what's involved in pushing the transaction through?

VishNub on

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    VishNub wrote:
    So, I got a car for Christmas. Well, the title, actually. The car is in California and I'm in Georgia. I need to get it here so that I might drive it. Anyone know how much this will cost me? Or what's involved in pushing the transaction through?
    I have no idea, but everyone I know in this situation has generally bought a one-way plane ticket and then drove it back to their home, sort of made it a vacation or a road trip to help justify the large expense.

Honestly, I have a hard time imagining you'll find a cheaper price, though, because shipping a car has to be ridiculous.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    KyzenKyzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What the above person said.

Kyzen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yes. That is the other option. I'm just not fond of road trips. At all.

You'd have a hell of a time persauding me to shell out 300$ for a ticked to CA, then coming straight back in a car. But that's just me.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    So, in short, yes, drive it. I know.

I want to know how much shipping is.

VishNub on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Honestly, I'm not even sure it's possible for a single person to ship a car across country, since I think all (or the overwhelming majority) of the carrier trucks are part of corporate fleets.

Your best bet is to talk to a car dealership. If the car is new, talk to the dealership that sold it or the local branch of the same brand. They may be able to sell you space on one of their regular shipments, or at least they'd be able to point you in the right direction.

werehippy on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    VishNub wrote:

You'd have a hell of a time persauding me to shell out 300$ for a ticked to CA, then coming straight back in a car. But that's just me.
    Well, even free cars aren't free.

Conversely you could try to get someone from CA to drive it out to you, and offer to pay for the plane ticket home or something. I have no idea what shipping a car costs, but I mean it's not going to be cheap.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aurin on
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    VishNub wrote:

I hear that if you plan your trips in advance, you can get a big discount on plane tickets. Maybe buy the ticket a few weeks before.

Grimm on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's going to be around $1000-$1500. If you just Google "automobile shipping" you'll get a bunch of businesses who can quote you.

My suggestion: get a friend in California to sell the vehicle. Let him keep a hundred bucks for the trouble, then have him just send you a check for the rest and buy a similar model in Georgia. You might even make money.

Edit: vehicles in California tend to be more expensive because (A) everything is more expensive in California and (B) California has tougher emissions standards than every other state in the union. Unless this is a collector's vehicle or an exotic or something, I can't see any good reason why you should go all the trouble and expense of shipping it across the continent.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What Feral said.

If you have to bring it back, just google it. You may find a local shipper (usually a retired old man) who will fly out there, rent a truck and haul the car back. In my experience, they usually won't charge much more than they pay out, maybe 2-300 for profit (maybe more because it's going from coast to coast). But even at that, you're looking at about $1000 to $1500.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You're looking at $1,000-$1,500. Is it a nice car? Do you want it in a covered truck? Trust me, cars get beat up and filthy on those things. If so, add another $850.

powerss on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Well, I just got a quote that said 850, so there, naysayers.

VishNub on