As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] Come for the ninjas, stay for the public shaming.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That Samurai X dub wasn't as terrible as I imagined. Was that shown on TV? They surprisingly kept a lot of the violence in.

I don't have to remind you all of what a truly butchered dub show is like do I?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    It's actually a randomizer from a couple years back. There are 186 in there. Betcha can't name them all.

Just wait until mcc shuts down his rotator :P

Pfft. I have the source code already.

But you shut yours down, too!

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    It's actually a randomizer from a couple years back. There are 186 in there. Betcha can't name them all.

Just wait until mcc shuts down his rotator :P

Pfft. I have the source code already.

But you shut yours down, too!

No, I just hid it. I'm not even sure what was going on there anyway. Just that my host suddenly started sending me very very angry e-mails. I think somebody had set up some kind of recursion nonsense that was making the script hammer itself. Well, and there are other ways to break it as well.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah, Deen.

umineko13_47.jpg

It seems like I'm saying that every week these days.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    ahaha the new bleach chapter is some bullshit
    tite kills off stark and halibel in the same chapter

gee thanks brah i was almost starting to get interested in your glacial bit of scribbling

Rust on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Out of boredom I'm going through your list of avatars... one of them is wrong. Nana from Elfen Lied is actually Young Lucy.

Falx on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That Samurai X dub wasn't as terrible as I imagined. Was that shown on TV? They surprisingly kept a lot of the violence in.

Sakura is supposed to be, like, ten years old, right? o_O

Sounds like she's in her early 20s in that dub.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

Sakura is supposed to be, like, ten years old, right? o_O

Sounds like she's in her early 20s in that dub.

Lesbianism gives them a butcher voice.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rust wrote: »

gee thanks brah i was almost starting to get interested in your glacial bit of scribbling

People complain when things go too slow.

People complain when he tries to speed things up.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Furu wrote: »

he moves slow all the time until he has to get rid of an interesting character in which case whoa you can barely catch them leaving

it's a crime that ulquiorra and freaking nnoitra got more development than halibel and starrk

Rust on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    Out of boredom I'm going through your list of avatars... one of them is wrong. Nana from Elfen Lied is actually Young Lucy.

I'll get right on that.
    I won't get right on that.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

he moves slow all the time until he has to get rid of an interesting character in which case whoa you can barely catch them leaving

it's a crime that ulquiorra and freaking nnoitra got more development than halibel and starrk

Well I do agree with that.

Furu on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What do you want stark to do. Have ANOTHER flashback? A tearful love story with a shinigami? He's a one tone character who got his development. He's not interesting. Tite doenst write interesting characters.

NotYou on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've gone through the spoilers of this week.

It takes entire page to summarize the stuff that happens in One Piece. The spoilers to Bleach are literally about a dozen words.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    NotYou wrote: »

What do you want stark to do. Have ANOTHER flashback? A tearful love story with a shinigami? He's a one tone character who got his development. He's not interesting. Tite doenst write interesting characters.
    some interaction with someone other than shunsui would be nice

he's spoken to a grand total of three people over the course of the entire manga, of course he's going to appear flat, but at least there's some potential for growth in his character

unlike nnoitra who spent ages ranting about how much he liked to fight people

and meanwhile we still don't know shit about halibel but whoops the lady's got to go

Rust on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm most of the way down with Baccano!

It's pretty good, the dub however is fantastic.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Stop thinking of them as characters. They are plot devices clad in stereotype (or trope, at least).

Is there even a plot?

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No wait, I take that back. They don't actually advance the plot at all.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    No wait, I take that back. They don't actually advance the plot at all.

No, see, they will.
    Hollows are mass compressions of souls that they've consumed.

Aizen brought them along as a failsafe in case Soul Society did some wizardry to protect the city.

Those souls will be enough to make a key and after they do more zomg Aizen hax we'll move onto the next stage, finally.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Stop thinking of them as characters. They are plot devices clad in stereotype (or trope, at least).

Is there even a plot?

The same could be said of all shonen manga if you're going to look at it this way.

There's a plot but its just an excuse to have people fight, just like everything else

Furu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That sounds frightfully plausible. I'm surprised anyone still cares enough to create theories on Bleach.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That sounds frightfully plausible. I'm surprised anyone still cares enough to create theories on Bleach.

Ditto.

Someone posted that elsewhere. All I could think was "yep, that's exactly the sort of WHAT A TWIST he'd come up with."

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Yeah it's amazing that not everyone shares the same opinions on something that you do isn't it

Furu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Is there even a plot?

The same could be said of all shonen manga if you're going to look at it this way.

There's a plot but its just an excuse to have people fight, just like everything else

Yeah, the same could be said of anything, since that's what tropes are - commonly used themes and characters.

Bleach more borders on caricature than stereotypes.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    There are big plots and little plots.

Luffy wants to become the Pirate King. To that end, he needs to collect a crew and sail the grandline. That's the big overarching plot. Smaller stuff happens along the way that advances the bigger plot while still having proper story structure with beginnings and endings and stuff.

This keeps things interesting.

Bleach has... I have no idea. Why is Ichigo doing all this stuff? Well, his friends keep getting abducted, but he has no personal stake in fighting, except maybe to do good for its own sake. And he's one of the more 3 dimensional characters.

Other than that, there is a war brewing between Soul Society and ThatOtherPlace. I forgot the name. That might be interesting except that I don't care about any of these characters. Maybe the Soul Society people slightly, but there are SO MANY of them. They all have a single black flash to explain a single motivation. That's not enough.

The thing is, there are not little plots in Bleach. Everyone just fights. Very slowly. In a contrived sort of way. It's not interesting.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If you seriously have no idea what Ichigo's motivation is when its mentioned every time he's in a fight then I don't even know what to say.

Furu on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you seriously have no idea what Ichigo's motivation is when its mentioned every time he's in a fight then I don't even know what to say.
    It's to become the next Hokage, right?

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

ahahahaha

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

No, that's Naruto.

It's to get his brother's body back.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like it :P

There sure are a lot of these things. I wonder how much time goes into making something like that.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    that one, probably not much, the framerate is crap and the characters look like recolors in places

the tales of the abyss one, probably way too much, it's smooth as butter in places and the creator made up the last section completely

Rust on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, Sephiroth wasn't completely annoying for 5 seconds. Amazing.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, I followed Bleach religiously for years and I forgot. So maybe that says something about Bleach, eh?

Okay, let's discuss the way One Piece sets up the plot versus Bleach. Take the Enel arc, for example. When Skypiea was only a legend, we were introduced to the Montblanc and his descendant. It was Cricket's goal to prove the existence of Skypiea, and because he helped our protagonists, we start to care.

Later, the strawhat pirates actually get to Skypiea. It's an awesome place with nice people. Except for the fascist theocracy that rules the place. We like those nice people so we want to see the fascists die horribly. Then stuff happens that make the confrontation between Enel and Luffy seem natural and obvious. We are introduced to the natives of the dirt island and their desire to steal it back from Enel. Their stories are compelling.

The antagonists are genuinely challenges. The conflict is genuinely interesting. There is lots of tension.

And then Luffy wins and it's fucking awesome.

Now, does Bleach have something like that? All the antagonists are introduced moments before they fight and die. They do not seem like genuine threats, nor is their defeat cause for celebration. Stuff just happens. Whether there are ten or a hundred allancer (or whatever they are called), it doesn't matter. We don't hate them enough to enjoy their defeat. They are not compelling enough to worth caring about.

There is nothing except for the fighting. The fights are not set up, they just happen in sequence. And they are not good fights either. People keep pulling powers out of their ass and escaping from attacks completely unharmed without explanation as to how and why.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    So my college has chartered an anime club. From this quote we all giggled at, try to guess whet the first thing we watched was.
    My problems always seem to find me in the bath.
    Like my father.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bleach stuff

Maybe once the current arc ends Bleach could improve by having an arc wherein a girl Ichigo knows is captured and taken to another world, with Aizen wanting to exploit the mysterious powers contained in said girl. And then Ichigo and co could hastily rush into that other world to rescue her!

After all, the third time's the charm, right?

Though in all seriousness I'd say the biggest problem Bleach has (Besides the pacing, of course. It's pretty bad even for a Jump series and that's just awful!) is that it has too many people that the author feels the need to meticulously cram so many characters into their own fight, and most of whom will fight villains that exist for the sole purpose of getting in the way. At best they'll have postmortem flashbacks as a weak attempt at character development, which at that point doesn't really matter much. It definitely doesn't apply to all the villains, but it does fit most.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First episode of Sketchbook duMb name~ has been watched.

Not bad. A little strange, and the main character is kind of lame, but it's relaxing and had some nice clouds. I'm a sucker for nice clouds.

Rewatched the first episode of Minami-ke series 3 and remembered how jarring the change in style and animation was.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You must never use Kancho against your mother indeed.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Since I've already read up to the current chapter of Franken Fran I've decided to start on Billy Bat. I thought this manga was supposed to be about Billy Bat's creator?

It was also weird seeing the biography claim that Billy Bat was almost as popular as Superman and the inspiration for Dick Tracy.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Canaan
    this show is retarded why am i watching it

Zek on
This discussion has been closed.