Options

Toys R Us and Trade-ins

MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
So, has anyone taken up TrU on their new trade-in offer? THe prices they give seam to be a hell of alot better than places like gamestop, and they let you mail them in or drop them off. They even pay shipping if you mail them in.

Anyone have any success/horror stories from it. Looking to trade in a pile of old games and goozex is just too damn slow to get new ones. I'd rather get Gift Cards. Add in the deals TrU has been running with all major game releases (free $20 GC with the game) and you run into a great deal.

XBL = MoP54
PSN = PessimistMaximus
camo_sig2.png
MasterOfPupets on

• Options
    CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I tried em out last week. Got rid of some games I hated and came up with some nice loot. $20 for mario strikers made me want to jump on it. Plus having $240 in credit should get me through the holidays very nicely.
    Do they price match?

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've got roughly $170 to trade in. Deciding whether I should take them to the store or just ship them in.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The neat thing about his compared to Gamestop is that you can check the actual prices first.

http://www.toysrustradeincenter.com/

I really want to get rid of Ghostbusters for $25. One of those games I forced myself to like. It wasn't bad but I don't want to go through it again.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Meh, everything I want to get rid of still only goes between the $0.50 - $5.25 range. I'd rather just sell it on ebay at that rate.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whoa whoa. I can mail in my trades? This is the best service ever.

Edit.

Holy crap, 22$ for last years Fifa? Yeah sorry gamestop you just lost.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some of the trade-in values are nice, but others are lower than what you'd get through Amazon's trade-in. Still, it's a good deal for certain games, and it's awesome that you can check the price before mailing in.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I did a trade in today and it was awesome. $160 for a pile of games I'll never play again.

The only problem I ran into is that they can't take any games without the cases in the store, you have to have a scannable UPC.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How do people even lose their cases and manuals? Wierdos.

I traded in Ghostbusters and Killzone 2. Super smooth too. Just said here you go and they asked my b-day and then handed me a card for $50. I then went over to go get ODST that came with a $20 giftcard.

I hardly ever trade in games in anymore since I like having a collection but those two games I don't ever want to touch again.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks to this thread, I now have a lot fewer GBA, Gamecube and Xbox games taking up room, and $128 on a gift card - which should help considerably with holiday spending.

I also had the weird experience of being treated like an honest customer; the manager opened the first couple of games and checked the contents, then rang the rest up as complete games without taking the time to check each and every one.

They were all complete, of course - I take care to hang on to manuals and keep discs in good shape - but it was unusual to feel, well, trusted.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got $20 for Halo 3 today when I got ODST, then I got a $20 gift certificate just for buying ODST. They were however out of the action figures the fucks.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I traded in Ghostbusters and Killzone 2. Super smooth too. Just said here you go and they asked my b-day and then handed me a card for $50. I then went over to go get ODST that came with a $20 giftcard.

I hardly ever trade in games in anymore since I like having a collection but those two games I don't ever want to touch again.

I don't have cases/manuals to 2 o my games because I bought them used (1 being Xenosaga Ep3, which is impossible to find at all, let alone complete) all games I've had myself are complete and in good shape.

I picked up ODST too. PLayed a few hours of firefight tonight.

My plan, trade in ODST come november, use the $20 GC and the other GCs to get MW2, which will undoubtably come with another $20 card, which I will use along with my money left over for Assassin's Creed 2. After that, ehh we'll see.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got $20 for Halo 3 today when I got ODST, then I got a $20 gift certificate just for buying ODST. They were however out of the action figures the fucks.

About the same, though my Rookie figure was apparently a little badly made. Hand fell off.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've bought used games without manuals. Being able to check trade-in prices online is nice, and they pay for shipping if you trade in more than $10, which speaks to the sloth in me.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gamestop seems to give more trade in for stuff, and Toys R Us TIVs vary for package completeness. Some of the stuff I have gets less at Toys R Us, weird. Nice that they let you search though.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

A lot of people keep their games in CD wallets for space-saving and/or portability and just toss the case and manual. Barbaric, I know.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, so I just checked it out. What a rip! N64 games top out at 50 cents, as do most GC games. Doesn't the rarity of certain games affect the price?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, so I just checked it out. What a rip! N64 games top out at 50 cents, as do most GC games. Doesn't the rarity of certain games affect the price?

Nah, N64 and under gen are set prices, granted you could buy like, a dozen old football games for a dollar and get $13. According to CAG YMMV on old trade ins too, some people said they needed the box even for NES games and the like.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Depends on what they're doing with the games they're buying. But it's pretty standard practice just about everywhere to pay only 25 to 50 cents for retro games.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I actually work as a manager at Toys R us and I've only had two people come in to do the game trade, but both times we beat Gamestop and Blockbuster by about $10 (they were both PS3 games).
    As for the prices on classic games, it depends on if it's complete or not. We HAVE to have the box for any of the old games(NES, Atari, SNES) to scan it and get a price, otherwise we have a generic bar code which gives usually $.50.
    I haven't check on any of the GOOD classic games, but I do have my SNES Chrono Trigger I may write the UPC down from and check when I go back in.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I went through my collection but the games I want to get rid of are only worth about $40 total. I can probably get more mileage out of Goozex, although that actually requires patience.

langfor6 on