As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    For me, it's not so much the generic structure - after all, I watched all of House and enjoyed a lot of it - as this: the series banks on the two stars' chemistry and aims for a screwball tone, but it's simply not nearly as witty as it wants to be. The writing makes me think of other series or films that do a much better job at repartee. Fillion and Katic make up for the mediocre scripts to some extent (though I've come to realise that Fillion's shtick can get a bit grating if the writing isn't as good as the stuff Whedon wrote for him), but then you've got the other characters, and they're so much flatter.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The others do get some depth, but the show definitely stays centred on Castle and Beckett.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I don't need the depth if the wit is there, but I definitely feel that Fillion and Katic are given all the heavy lifting, making up for the scripts being pretty mediocre. Anyway, thanks for your answers; my impression is that if I don't feel by the end of S1 that I need to continue watching, most likely this wouldn't change if I got S2.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Where was that gun from the desk damnit, Castle!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Well, that was certainly an episode.

Or rather, half of an episode.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    It was darker then i expected...I liked it. Glad my dvr caught it, i forgot it had started up again this week.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I'll change the title next week when I can do that kind of thing again.

Good episode, definitely a good style. I'll doubt we'll get much Bracken if only because he's on the new heroes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    So I guess next episode is...
    Told from Becketts perspective, given the XY - > XX episode titles?

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Chekov's Desk Gun better be used later in the season I will be so happy.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Bonus points if it just ends up hitting someone in the face.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Yeah I can totally imagine it being used to startle someone.

Also kudos for something that is probably not actually going to harm you, but holy shit plastic bag full of spiders? Yeah I'd tell you literally everything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Only for people who are really scared of spiders. Course, faking it would be good way to delay them actually doing something useful. The plastic bag was more effective than the spiders! :P

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Have there been prior instances of Castle's arachnophobia that I cannot recall?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    You do not need to have arachnophobia to be scared of a bag full of spiders.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Have there been prior instances of Castle's arachnophobia that I cannot recall?

I think it was season two? They raided a pet store/diamond smuggler, Castle nearly gets shot and handles it fairly well, and then freaks out at a big hairy spider on his shoulder.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Yeah you don't have to have a phobia to be creeped out by spiders being put on your head while your handcuffed to a chair.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Now if you do NOT have it after the experience, thats probably the odd result...

• Options
    You know it would be pretty cool if they call back to that later in the season. Like some Indiana Jones style "Castle has to reach into a box of spiders to get a key to save beckett" type of thing."

Also I really hope Beckett is the captain for longer than like two episodes, if they use this to bust her back to detective that would make me sad.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Unlikely. shes on the run with someone who worked in the same department she did and everyone else in that group is dead. I would imagine that even if she doesnt work for the AG's office anymore, shes still 'on call' so to speak and has certain code words that would identify someone that needs to be protected. It's possible they may do the 'shes being blackmailed into this' but its way more likely shes following some kind of protocol for in-place moles or something.

• Options
    I would hope so, but other shows tendency to revert shit to the status quo always makes me apprehensive. Then again Castle tends to actually keep character changes as well, so there is that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The continued existence of his Private Eye business gives me hope that her promotion sticks around too.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    It was a nice way for them to give Alexis something to do. Hopefully keep her away from the Pi's of the world.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Alexis working cases would be a welcome avenue for more interaction with Kate.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Wait...what!?
    Castle's Stepmother!?

Edit:
    Above about tonight's episode

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It was a nice way for them to give Alexis something to do. Hopefully keep her away from the Pi's of the world.

To keep away from Pi, she became (a) PI.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Chekov's Desk Gun better be used later in the season I will be so happy.
    YES!!!!!!!

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    /me slaps Beckett

Also, uh, what now?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Yeah i absolutely hate this overused stupid trope.
    Do you really think just because your not living with the guy that if they wanted to hurt you they wouldnt kidnap and kill him? Do you think maybe you would give them a better chance to survive if you were there to help protect them?

However that said, the reasoning why they are doing it doesnt really matter.
    I see what they are doing. Everyone was expecting x seasons of them flirting, x seasons of the engagement, then marriage then end of series. They have extra innings so they want to find a different way to create tension in the relationship to keep the show fresh. From the previews castles going to be being more PI, working his way around beckett probably with ryan and espos help on the side. Also, these status quo's usually dont last too long so i give it 3 episodes max.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Great first ep; second one, not so much.

At this point, although time will tell, I wish they let it end at season 7 so we can pretend Beckett became Senator and time travel is real.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Booooo

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Zetx wrote: »
    Great first ep; second one, not so much.

At this point, although time will tell, I wish they let it end at season 7 so we can pretend Beckett became Senator and time travel is real.

Hey, nothings stopping her from doing it later in life.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    azith28 wrote: »
    Yeah i absolutely hate this overused stupid trope.
    Do you really think just because your not living with the guy that if they wanted to hurt you they wouldnt kidnap and kill him? Do you think maybe you would give them a better chance to survive if you were there to help protect them?

However that said, the reasoning why they are doing it doesnt really matter.
    I see what they are doing. Everyone was expecting x seasons of them flirting, x seasons of the engagement, then marriage then end of series. They have extra innings so they want to find a different way to create tension in the relationship to keep the show fresh. From the previews castles going to be being more PI, working his way around beckett probably with ryan and espos help on the side. Also, these status quo's usually dont last too long so i give it 3 episodes max.

Exactly! Not to mention it comes out of nowhere basically. They could have at least built into it a little. If would have been amazing if Castle had pointed that out and she realized how stupid it is. We don't NEED tension between them, writers...been there, done that.

And, of course, this exact crap is going to come back up when we find out what Castle was up to when he was missing.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    We already did for the most part. Yeah it was sketchy, and a rather lazy writing version of an 'out' for a plothole they wanted to seal before the series was renewed again, but as far as im concerned, its probably never going to be mentioned in detail again.

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't see is ever hearing about what happened to him again.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I figure the remaining few weeks of Castle's missing time if their backup plan if the show ends up getting renewed for a season or two longer than they plan for.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Last nights ep was okay, but the way he escaped was fairly obvious.

• Options
    Their 'breakup' is super lame, they need to end it already.

But this was counter balanced by Alexis' wardrobe. So if they keep that up they can keep it going for a few eps.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I liked everything about this episode that was not stupid out of character breakup bullshit. The jokes were good, the not-Beckett characters were in top form and written well, the mystery of the week was intriguing.

Just, you know. There is nothing about the past seven seasons that would lead a person to believe that Beckett would be so dumb as to leave Castle to "protect him" when all of her characterization thus far implies that she'd understand that anybody who actually wants to get to her by hurting Castle can still fucking do that, and not being nearby puts him in even more danger. It's stupid, it's shitty writing, and it's killing both my and my wife's interest in the show.

This show is clearly at it's best when it's just doing weekly procedural. Just drop the overarching plots entirely.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Their 'breakup' is super lame, they need to end it already.

But this was counter balanced by Alexis' wardrobe. So if they keep that up they can keep it going for a few eps.

Nice.

I mean, it's not like there's a person (or character) there.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I think i might be done with the show.
    This makes me sad.
    This new batch of writers/show runner that they have this season seemed convinced that they need to manufacture drama to keep people interested. After 7 seasons that i truly enjoyed, this whole break up puts a serious distaste in my mouth.

Everything is so 100% completely out of character for Beckett that I was really waiting on the main characters to start calling her BS. That might lead to something interesting, but i fear they'll just rachet the drama "will they wont they" nonsense for the rest of the season.
    I liked the fact that they got together, and that they managed to make things work. That was one of the best parts of the show (my opinion).

I'm also a smidge disturbed by the latest treatment of Alexis. I mean, she is a very attractive lady, and i didn't mind the get-up from the party, but it all.....seems like its a "try hard" effort by the writers to make her something different somehow. Cant quite put my finger on it.....but its bugging me.

I had heard rumors that Nathan and Stana did not get a long on set at all last season. I chalked it up to internet nonsense, but with how much they're filming them apart (almost forcing the plot) i wonder if it has some truth....