As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How I Met Your Mother Season 9: A factual statement is that the series finale sucked.

Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
The finale sucked, and this is fact.

Zephyr_Fate on

• Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When does it air and should there be spoiler tags all up ins?

Dman on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So one of the best sitcoms on TV(and some of the best comedy out there) has returned, for yet another season. No, the mother has not been revealed yet, but has been narrowed down to Ted's classroom (either the fake or real one, has not been said). The show is just as funny as it was the past four seasons, if not better because the chemistry between all of the main cast has strengthened somewhat, and there are no more pregnancies to make Robin or Lily disappear for a bit.

For those not in the know of what happened last season: Ted once again tried with Stella, failed, and now Robin and Barney are pursuing a secret relationship.

It was said, if you were paying attention. The mother was in the big lecture hall, which was mentioned both in the finale last year and on Monday. But who gives a shit about the mother, it's the chemistry between the five leads that's important.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I just remembered that they said she was in that classroom, my bad. OP updated with time and spoiler tag rules.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FanCast seems to have episodes.
    Stupid Hulu.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    OP updated with a link to the premiere episode, on CBS.com.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm getting tired with the will they won't they mother reveal. Just start building the character up, because no one cares any more. Everyone watches the shoe for Marshall and Barney anyway

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GOOD ENOUGH

*whip crack*

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    I'm getting tired with the will they won't they mother reveal. Just start building the character up, because no one cares any more. Everyone watches the shoe for Marshall and Barney anyway

Bullshit. I watch for Robin, too.

I could really care less about Ted or the mystery mother at this point.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, throw my hat in for not caring anymore. I watch the show for the chemistry between everyone, especially with how dumb and naive Ted can be.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm sick of the teaseing for the mother but at this point I realize she's the end of the series and teasing us means we're getting more Barney goodness

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love Barnman and Robin. Those two together have serious hilarious potential in the upcoming season.

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm sick of the teaseing for the mother but at this point I realize she's the end of the series and teasing us means we're getting more Barney goodness

Yeah. I have a whip guy. *mysterious crazy whip noise MADE ONLY WITH HIS MOUTH*

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah. I have a whip guy. *mysterious crazy whip noise MADE ONLY WITH HIS MOUTH*

I want a Show after this called "How I banged your Daughter" showcasing the series from Barney's POV

I admit this would essentially be the same show with altered flash backs and narration but I don't care.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That show would be even better than the current one. Of course, the only problem here is that Barney could only have sex so much before it gets old after the fourth season.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Watched the new episode, and all the way through was thinking 'yup, the show's still got it.' Which, y'know, is good.

I don't know what spoiler policy is (though I'd go with no spoilers for anything that's aired, given that they're not too major in this show and it's more about the fun), but I'll play it safe for now:
    I'm glad the Barney/Robin dynamic works. They always had a good relationship, with the whiskey and cigars and suits, and are pretty similar, so hopefully we'll see some pretty fun couple stories which are different to Marshall and Lily's.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thane wrote: »

"Start" building the characters up?

The mother thing is mentioned two or three times a season at most. Hell, the goat was mentioned as much as the mother in two seasons.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I felt the classroom scene was unrealistic!
    300-level students would have no problem butting in on a clearly nub professor that was in the wrong classroom!
    [/internet nitpicking] still it was a good set-up episode.
    I wonder if Ted is going to get a surprise whipping a'la the slap-bet.

Backstop on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    300-level students would be respectful enough to professors regardless, at that point, and probably would do what they did in the episode. I mean, I've been in a few, and I've had a few nutty, new professors. We usually respect them.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    300-level students would be respectful enough to professors regardless, at that point, and probably would do what they did in the episode. I mean, I've been in a few, and I've had a few nutty, new professors. We usually respect them.

Yeah, Isn't this Columbia? Most of them would probably sit their silently thinking 'Is he fucking serious?'

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »

Yeah, Isn't this Columbia? Most of them would probably sit their silently thinking 'Is he fucking serious?'

Eh I don't know. A 300 level course will generally also have 20-21 year olds, at which point there isn't much fear left for Professors. If a de facto TA (teaching Architecture 101) in a completely different department/school ignored every attempt to point out he was in the wrong place for 20 minutes he'd get laughed at.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    DibsDibs Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    More importantly, why did it seem like the 300-level course had a higher enrollment than a 100-level course? That shit just doesn't fly!

Good premiere, but I really didn't like the Barney/Robin dynamic. I hope I can get used to it, but that whole plot line, which dominated the show, just seemed stupid.

Dibs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dibs wrote: »
    More importantly, why did it seem like the 300-level course had a higher enrollment than a 100-level course? That shit just doesn't fly!

Good premiere, but I really didn't like the Barney/Robin dynamic. I hope I can get used to it, but that whole plot line, which dominated the show, just seemed stupid.

Econ vs. Architecture.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He said Arch 101 didn't he?

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Could be that that university doesn't have a great architecture program... and thus Architecture 101 could still be a small class.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One of the must watch shows I have. Could care less about the story lines just the running gags (want more slap bet) and my style of humor.

Also being Canadian and all of Robin's Canada jokes are awesome.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This show is fucking great.

This show would be nothing without NPH.

That is all.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh god I miss slap bet

I agree tho, the running jokes are what always keep me coming back. I love the bar jokes and the sitting around jokes, and the randomness of them, I always find myself waiting for the storyline part to get going a little quicker to get back to the ridiculous. MORE WHIPPING! *whip crack*

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "oh yes, I have a whip guy"

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Gratuitous lies turn us on."

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Could be that that university doesn't have a great architecture program... and thus Architecture 101 could still be a small class.

I can easily see an introductory class being smaller than an upper-level course, given that the former department was also smaller than the latter. For instance, what if that was a class every econ major had to take? Then they'd easily outnumber the future architects and random building-lovers.

I love Barney, and Neil Patrick Harris, and I am absurdly happy that
    he and Robin got together! They're so cute I want to give them hugs. Still, I'm a little worried that having a ball and chain will impinge on Barnman's awesomeness.

MrMister on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrMister wrote: »

I can easily see an introductory class being smaller than an upper-level course, given that the former department was also smaller than the latter. For instance, what if that was a class every econ major had to take? Then they'd easily outnumber the future architects and random building-lovers.

I love Barney, and Neil Patrick Harris, and I am absurdly happy that
    he and Robin got together! They're so cute I want to give them hugs. Still, I'm a little worried that having a ball and chain will impinge on Barnman's awesomeness.

I can't speak for architecture, but for engineering it works something like that. My ENGR 101 class was no more than 20 people, while my Physics and Chem classes were auditoriums. The idea (I assume) was to develop a better relationship between the students and the professor as well as give more focused, hands-on learning styles. Even in those Physics or Chemistry labs I didn't do half as much hands-on work as I did in ENGR 101. So I considered that part to be pretty realistic.

This was a thinly disguised blue dot post because I love this show.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh god I miss slap bet

I agree tho, the running jokes are what always keep me coming back. I love the bar jokes and the sitting around jokes, and the randomness of them, I always find myself waiting for the storyline part to get going a little quicker to get back to the ridiculous. MORE WHIPPING! *whip crack*

He still has 2 left, right?

One was right away.

One was the play.

One was slapsgiving.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Oh god I miss slap bet

He still has 2 left, right?

One was right away.

One was the play.

One was slapsgiving.

Yes, there are two slaps remaining.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dibs wrote: »

Add up the business majors, economics majors, and math majors you know.

It's substantially larger than the architechture majors, isn't it?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The thing I love about this show is that they foreshadow in one episode, and a few episodes later, that thing HAPPENS. There's teases, but they come through on the teases. The slapbet is a good example of this, as well as the goat in the apartment.

It's rather unique.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    The thing I love about this show is that they foreshadow in one episode, and a few episodes later, that thing HAPPENS. There's teases, but they come through on the teases. The slapbet is a good example of this, as well as the goat in the apartment.

It's rather unique.

Yeah, this is great. There's clearly one coming up about Stella's husband's movie.

Also, I badly want a Rock Band 3-pack from HIMYM. Both Robin Sparkles songs, and "You Just Got Slapped".

area on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I'm waiting for those last two slaps. They better come soon.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    New episode tonight was pretty good.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    area wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »

It's rather unique.

Yeah, this is great. There's clearly one coming up about Stella's husband's movie.

Also, I badly want a Rock Band 3-pack from HIMYM. Both Robin Sparkles songs, and "You Just Got Slapped".

Incomplete without the videos

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I read this about the 100th episode (January sometime) and it's AWESOME.
    Barney gets a musical number.

enlightenedbum on
This discussion has been closed.