As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me video camera!

RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
The wife and I have a new baby on the way, and I was planning on getting a Flip HD for random baby videos and whatnot. However, my brother in law surprised us with a Canon HG20. The last camcorder I had was pretty basic, and this new one has me a little overwhelmed.

My first question is, what video quality should I be recording at? Even if I'm planning on importing the video to my computer and then posting videos online, should I be using the highest quality? It does 1,920x1,080 at 24 or 17 Mbps, and 1,440x1,080 at lower bitrates.

Second, what frame rate should I use? I can choose 60i, 30p, and 24p. From what I read 30p is best for web videos, so should I stick with that?

Third, I'll be using iMovie to import the videos and do editing. When I import video it gives me the choice of importing at full resolution or "large" (960x540). Anyone have advice on which to choose? 960x540 is certainly fine for web videos, but what would it look like if I burned it to a DVD and played it on an HDTV? Any first hand experiences with this?

Thanks for all the help!

RUNN1NGMAN on