As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GPU running outrageously hot

KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I posted earlier about my computer going to black and restarting on certain games, and I got advice to try running speedfan while gaming to see the temperatures.

My GPU(8800GT) started at idling around 80, so I instantly shut the computer off, cleaned it, and tried again. I managed to lose about 10C so it was down to 70, and ran out of duster, so went out and got a fresh can and set to work making sure everything was clean, and then moving the computer a bit so that nothing could remotely block the fans.

It's still idling around 65C though. I ordered one of those slot fans to see how much that will help, but I mean... is there anything else I can do to get the temperature down? It goes to 80 easily while gaming, and Arkham Asylum was bringing it up to around 90.

The one other thing is I was also running EasyTune5, which was already installed through having a Gigabyte mobo, and it's reporting my CPU temperature a good 10C below speedfan.... which one should I trust?

Khavall on

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    80? That seems a tad... high. Are you sure the heatsinks are propery seated?

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I checked that too. Everything seems to be working fine it's just running... super hot

Khavall on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    So I posted earlier about my computer going to black and restarting on certain games, and I got advice to try running speedfan while gaming to see the temperatures.

My GPU(8800GT) started at idling around 80, so I instantly shut the computer off, cleaned it, and tried again. I managed to lose about 10C so it was down to 70, and ran out of duster, so went out and got a fresh can and set to work making sure everything was clean, and then moving the computer a bit so that nothing could remotely block the fans.

It's still idling around 65C though. I ordered one of those slot fans to see how much that will help, but I mean... is there anything else I can do to get the temperature down? It goes to 80 easily while gaming, and Arkham Asylum was bringing it up to around 90.

The one other thing is I was also running EasyTune5, which was already installed through having a Gigabyte mobo, and it's reporting my CPU temperature a good 10C below speedfan.... which one should I trust?

how many RPMS are your fan running at?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nothing seems to be able to detect the RPM of the GPU. The system fan is at 2000, the CPU fan is at 1800, and I have Rivatuner at least supposedly having the fan speed on 100%, whatever that may be.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    From a couple of quick searches, 80 (and even up to 90) degrees isn't outrageously hot for a 8800. Do you have plenty of airflow for your pc case? Getting more fresh air in and hot air out is probably your best bet.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well it was next to the desk, but I moved it out sot hat the main intake fan int eh side could help, though that blows directly to the CPU heatsink which is blowing directly at the output fan, and the GPU fan seems to just be blowing into the bottom of the case. I'll see how the slot fan helps, but it is getting as much airflow as I can give it.

Also it seems certain games really hit the sucker hard. Batman AA is almost sure to drive it to 90 before I get really nervous and stop playing, Titan quest kills it, Battlestations Pacific kills it, but it's fine under anything else, and I've never had overheating problems except those games, which kill the fucker.

Khavall on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    honestly, 80C is nothing for a GPU. I know I have a much more powerful card but the 4870 idles in teh 80-85 range, and that's perfectly normal for that card.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Allright... I guess I'll just keep monitoring it. Hopefully since I cleaned it out and that's now it's load instead of it's idle I won't run into problems anymore.

Khavall on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you leave the side of the case open, that'll tell you how much of a bottleneck your case is creating for air intake. If your GPU is still running at the same heat, you could upgrade the cooler probably. If it cools down appreciably, you can either improve your cases airflow by adding or upgrading your intake and exhaust fans and maybe even go so far as cutting or bending the grills on the fans.

This article from silent pc review might be a good read as the same principles would apply if your cases airflow is the problem.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ok, removing the side so far resulted in..... 2C drop. Well that's probably not it. I guess I might wait 'till the slot fan comes and see how that does, then think about upgrading the cooler. I'd like to not have it overheat while gaming anymore.

EDIT: Actually 3C... it's just falling pretty slowly.

Khavall on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That article has either been updated quite a bit and now deals with airflow much less or just wasn't the article I was thinking of.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    honestly, 80C is nothing for a GPU. I know I have a much more powerful card but the 4870 idles in teh 80-85 range, and that's perfectly normal for that card.

are you sure about that mate? My 4870 is idling right now at 48C unless the ati software is lying to me. I don't know what it gets up to while gaming.

Shogun on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does yours have the closed box style heatsink on it? I've never been a fan because even with a thorough cleaning with a can of air if you take the cover off there is a lot of dust still left in. Try taking out the card and removing that little lid and clean it again.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Does yours have the closed box style heatsink on it? I've never been a fan because even with a thorough cleaning with a can of air if you take the cover off there is a lot of dust still left in. Try taking out the card and removing that little lid and clean it again.

It does... I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Khavall on