As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the great feedback.

And thanks to Lexxor for the red line.

When I'm done with work today I am going to do some gestures, then find a reference and work on a good pose for Musafari.

Although you're free to do what you want here at the AC, i'd advise against posting them here.

The point of a gesture isn't to make a pretty drawing, it's to convey energy. It's a technical exercise, and it takes many years of practice before they actually turn into legible doodle works-of-art.

It's a good sign if your gestures are horrific at first, because it means you're focusing on what matters rather than making something pretty.

Godfather on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    my gestures are always AWFUL looking
    just scribbly messes of lines

so embarrassing. but i get good motion out of them, and they help me build nice drawings if i use them as a starting point

beavotron on
  • Options
    J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Its all in the hips.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    yo guys i just bought a wacom intuuous for my birthday/christmas, its a medium size one and im comfortable with the size but...

I havent done any digital stuff ever except with a mouse and im having an incredibly hard time making straight lines with the tablet. I dont know whats going on but i need tips, it feels like im trolling myself so hard

fuck wacom in the face, if i cant do straight lines ill practice straight lines.

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yo guys i just bought a wacom intuuous for my birthday/christmas, its a medium size one and im comfortable with the size but...

I havent done any digital stuff ever except with a mouse and im having an incredibly hard time making straight lines with the tablet. I dont know whats going on but i need tips, it feels like im trolling myself so hard

fuck wacom in the face, if i cant do straight lines ill practice straight lines.

Wanna do vertical or horizontal straight lines? Hold shift, then paint.

Wanna do straight lines in any other direction? Get your brush tool, tap once anywhere. Lift brush, move to another spot. Hold shift and tap.

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    8217_147603367634_716582634_2748607_3903051_n.jpg

Live art! My friend pete is on the right. She stole my heart! There's a little dotted heart shaped line on my guy, and inside it says 'Bitch Stole This.' It was fun to do, but our surface arrived 2 hours late, so we were really rushed and couldn't do everything we had wanted.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Wanna do straight lines in any other direction? Get your brush tool, tap once anywhere. Lift brush, move to another spot. Hold shift and tap.

thank you.

I guess that i gotta get used to the tablet kinda like i had to learn to use a brush after using pen/crayons/stuff for a year huh.

How long does it typically take befor ethe feeling of not drawing ON what your doing stops feeling weird?

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    ShankboneShankbone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Still feels wierd for me. Personally I still do lineart and shit manual and scan it in, because I can do the same thing, but faster and better. Sure, I still try/ practice drawing with just a tablet, but there is something about paper I like.

Shankbone on
    We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

thank you.

I guess that i gotta get used to the tablet kinda like i had to learn to use a brush after using pen/crayons/stuff for a year huh.

How long does it typically take befor ethe feeling of not drawing ON what your doing stops feeling weird?
    tape a bit of paper onto the drawing surface of your tablet, that way that slippery feeling goes, and it feels like you're drawing on paper again. YAY!

r-jasper on
  • Options
    astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I've been using a wacom for almost five years - shit still feels odd. I mean, it's fantastic and all, yay no scanning, but I know my lineart is twice as good on paper as it is when I just draw it straight in. It took me about four months of daily use before I got comfortable with it, which is probably more of what you wanted to know.

- Calli

astillac on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok, i scanned and old drawing of this naked wench here, pewpewd at the scan to get rid of grey tones and sich from paper and then pewpew moar colors all over it with painter.

This graphics tablet crap is fun, figured out that it should be directly in front of your shoulder and a bit to the right, kinda wher eyou hold your mouse, and not in front of you.

anyways here goes hope you guys like my first digital doodle in ages :D

nudeexcercise006interne.jpg

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've always found that my lines drawn directly with Wacom work better when using apps that have a rotate canvas feature. The sweet spot for a right handed artist is usually a line going from left to upper right, probably around 35 degrees. Rotating the canvas allows you to stay in that position.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guy Bell wrote: »
    I've always found that my lines drawn directly with Wacom work better when using apps that have a rotate canvas feature. The sweet spot for a right handed artist is usually a line going from left to upper right, probably around 35 degrees. Rotating the canvas allows you to stay in that position.

Like openCanvas! I use that program for basically all my digital sketching and inking, occasionally color but it's just not as versatile as Photochop in that respect. They don't make it for Macs though :\

Lexxy on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Photoshop CS4 allows canvas rotation as well.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Painter, Sketchbook Pro, and I think maybe Artrage allow you to rotate canvas. It's ridiculous to not build that function into an art application.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »

Yeah, I heard they finally added it. I don't use a full version of PS, I just use Elements with a bunch of plug-ins I added to it. The first program I ever used was Painter so I'm comfortable with it. And I've never seen a program come even close to Sketchbook Pro for drawing.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Almost finished with these, I think. I don't know, I'm awfully lazy.

pic148.jpg
    pic149.jpg

I like red things

pic150.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I really like the colours in that city scene.

tynic on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »

I would KILL for this, but so far as I can tell my graphics card simply can't support it, even on my less-than-a-year-old notebook. Stupid OpenGL support, if only I had known when I went out to buy this stupid computer... *shakes fist contemptuously at laptop*

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wakkawa wrote: »

Got an ETA for vol 2 of your book?

XAL on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    midbus_sketch.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They call me Mr. PIG!

EDIT: Wakkawa, do you ever finish your environments, or leave them in that raw state?

Godfather on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I love it when you call me Pig Poppa.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    is that supposed to be pig-Bowser? oh wait, that's an actual character in Mario. huh.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, he's sort of Bowser's evil-er counterpart in the new DS game.

DMAC on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Oh man... I've had my tablet for over two years and I didn't know this D: This is awesome.

EDIT: DMAC, it reminds me of a cross between Bowser and old-school pig Ganon :^:

Kronus on
  • Options
    J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Very crude doodle comic D:

You prolly can't read my hand writing.
    1_2.jpg
    2_1.jpg
    3_1.jpg

Sawwy lexxy, you got me drawing the cutes. I daydream a lot when I'm working. I was cutting corn today, and I dazed out thinking of this.

Sidegunz Mr.Godfather.

also...
    heh.jpg

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm at a loss for words...

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Radar6590 wrote: »
    I'm at a loss for words...

I can't see it! Tell me what i'm looking for!

Godfather on
  • Options
    sainsain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    something seemingly random
    spencer.jpg

sain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wakkawa wrote: »

pic148.jpg
    pic149.jpg

I like red things

pic150.jpg

girl with the vultures is my favorite thing you've ever done.

beavotron on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember when I was new to these forums people were complaining about wakkawa doing to many womens, I never got why that was something to complain about

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah. Who would ever complain about too many naked women!

shifty eyes emoticon

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    triple homo post

sometimes you want to see the same amount of talent applied to male figure. artists are so sexist. they just want to put their wienerz in womenz. wtf is up with that.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    way to make the joke obvious

shaking my head

mully on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    hmmmmmmmm

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    mully wrote: »
    way to make the joke obvious

shaking my head
    it isn't a joke to me. I would appreciate artists more if they didn't just focus on the female figure. I appreciate the female figure as well, so I don't see a reason to ignore half of humanity. same thing applies to writing; I understand and like the male mind more, but I should work on writing strong female characters into my stories or I am sexist as well.

J-P: that comic is hilarious.

srsizzy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    umm

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i want someone to go back in time, go to Michaelangelo and say "hey mike, i mean... you're alright and all i guess but what's with all the dudes? why don't you draw some neat boats or something?"

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    then he shiftily looks around as he slowly starts carving another guy from marble acting as if you aren't there

Loomdun on
    splat
This discussion has been closed.