As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Much appreciated sir, Im redoing these as I pour over leyendecerk and rockwell.

Shoulda looked to them in the first place.. and yes they have to be happy and pretty. Pretty cheesy, but its monies.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    All 4 of those have some structural flaws. On the blonde girl the jaw line is coming in way too much into the neck. The chins need to come out on all of them, and the cheeks should be more round if you're looking for cute (mainly the blonde girl).

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EDIT: Edited for tiny face, huge noggin on 3/4 view. :D Lexxy comment below was quite right.

Hey ken, I had some free time so I whipped this up. Maybe took it a bit further than did cakez. Thoughts below the paintover. Hope it is helpful!

YUcE6.jpg

First major area of concern -- head structure. Boy, this was one of the most weak-chinned gals out there -- not a feature you will typically associate with attractive females. Popping that chin out adds character and appeal. Going up from the chin, the jaw area was also a major problem area. Go do some skull studies and you'll start to get a better grasp on the form of the jaw and where it attaches to the rest of the head. Aside from chin, she also seemed to be lacking cheekbones. Other tweaks -- using the eyebrows and the contour of the head to more clearly define the brow ridge. Those were the the big structural areas of concern that I addressed.

The next major area of concern is the expression, and more generally, the *appeal*, of the character. It essentially boils down to knowing what an attractive female's features would look like. I basically repainted the eyes because I kept reshaping them, but my advice is a resounding: Open those peepers! Drooping eyelids make her look lethargic and depressed, not happy and pretty. Eyes in profile can be tricky as well -- get some reference. I'm seeing way too much iris. Another feature -- lips. In the front shot, they look puffy and shapeless, not to mention downturned and sad. Somebody once told me to think of a goose in a nest, and I find that to be a pretty helpful rule of thumb :D. For lips in profile, the top lip typically will extend out past the bottom lip a bit. Of course there are plenty of exceptions, but it's an appealing feature for an attractive female in any case. Finally, I already mentioned the eyebrows -- lift em up and use them to help define the brow ridge. And don't worry about going a bit darker for eyebrow/lash hairs. Leaving them a so light gives her the look of one of those freakishly pale people.

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Whoa, Penguins. The profile looks good (though still on the old side), and those are good advices, but man... You gave the 3/4 view a really big head and a really small face D;

I also took a stab at a paintover, but for the brown-haired girl. Didn't take the painting very far--it's more for proportions than anything else:
    kendeath_paintover.jpg

Not in your style at all, and I don't know how young you're trying to go exactly (my version is maybe 10), but the younger they are, the bigger and softer their features in proportion to the rest of their body. Even a 14 or 15 year old post-growth spurt is going to have some roundness to their face. Your girls look like adults because they're features are small and chiseled, their faces are really lean, and they look somewhere between bored and annoyed in their 3/4 shots.

I'd say bring the eyes and nose down a bit (give em a bit more forehead), soften those features, and cheer up their expressions a bit. Maybe relax/messy up their hair a bit and give them thicker eyebrows--young girls' eyebrows are usually pretty full--yours look tweezed. Also freckles are usually only a couple shades darker than the skin, so you might lighten those up a bit too.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lexxy wins the Cute Little Girl™ contest. Please pick up your congratulatory certificate and goodie bag at the receptionist counter.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    SWEET! I hope it's full of candy @w@

Lexxy on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    its full of dirty dirty magazines

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    hehehe this is fun! Though I guess yeah my front view's got kind of a big noggin. And I didn't know we were drawing lil tykes either!

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [IMG]http://callicuttart.com/x/Eva 2.jpg[/IMG]

thanks guys, alot of good advice between here and the chat thread..

went much more cutsey and younger.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009

Looks way better already, Ken.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah it does. Boy did I misinterpret the age of these characters, I feel sort of silly now. :lol:

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    AT first I thought the age was.. tween.. which looks like I missed that by a looong shot on the first round.

Then the art direction was basically young and cute. so.. dunno what reponse ill get this time around.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh man, HUGE improvement!

Those freckles are still way too dark though. Freckles are skin tone not hair tone!

Lexxy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well im done spamming the doodle thread for today...

katie%202.jpg

sent these off, and I went back and changed the freckles, thanks lex.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Woohoo! Well done :3

Lexxy on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    rawr
    face.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Everyone is doing pretty good!

Silly doodle before heading off to teach :

robodog.jpg

PROX on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pay attention to negative space, Mayday.

Un1.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mayday wrote: »
    rawr
    face.jpg

You may also want to watch out for drawing what you see, and what you think should be there. Especially in her eye-region on the left side (our left) I can see quite a dark shadow that comes down from her brow and hits the corner of her eye, across her lid. However, in your piece the entire brow area is quite light, which throws off the look of it.

I would do a paintover but I don't want to hook my tablet up >.>

Charis on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    yeh her forehead looks curvier in the photo

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Red Riding Hood Doodle!
    SmallerREEDD.png

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    hey thats pretty sweet

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Iruka wrote: »
    I need to figure out how to bribe more people into drawing my avatar.

dgirlsmall.jpg

Got bored. It sucks and I'm sorry for raping your character.

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    pfft, You say that as if I can do anything but be stupid happy when someone draws my avatar. It's awesome, Mes, thanks!

Iruka on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Pay attention to negative space, Mayday.
    Oh lordy, now THAT'S embarassing. Thanks.
    Charis, no need for a PO, I see it, thanks for the tip :) Gonna work on her a bit more this evening (although these are supposed to be just quick sketches...). I can also see numerous problems with proportions now.

Also, now that it's daytime (I was drawing that at night) it is even more obvious that the contrast in my sketch is like 1% of the original... should I be trying to replicate that as well? I'm just trying to learn facial proportions but maybe it'd be useful to work on eyeing the lighting too?

EDIT:
    face2.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nice Little Red, worstcase! I've just done one myself (textured background and everything XD) but I'm saving it for the AC challenge. I'm going as Little Dead Riding Hood this Halloween--waiting to post pictures till my full makeup run on Friday.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks Lex and Kendeath!
    Also, little dead riding hood? Im pumped. Can't wait to see it!

worstcase on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Doodles from this morning...

[IMG][/img]2vvmftd.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

ken the profile does not match the 3/4 view at all
    the profile almost looks like an older, chubbier version of the 3/4

edit: wow lots of responses between when this was posted and now, sorry about that, i still feel the comment stands though

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey thanks beav. it got rejected again anyways and I stopped sucking enough to get a different slightly older version approved.. well Only the blonde has been approved. Havent heard back on the burnette yet. Whats making the profile look older to you? The proportion of the lower half of the face? Forehead not big enough? How much older does it look? How old do each look to you?

Im freaking out a little because I have to do 34 paintings in 28 days and these are just some of the character comps that didn't get approved on the first go. I really suck at painting children.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey thanks beav. it got rejected again anyways and I stopped sucking enough to get a different slightly older version approved.. well Only the blonde has been approved. Havent heard back on the burnette yet. Whats making the profile look older to you? The proportion of the lower half of the face? Forehead not big enough? How much older does it look? How old do each look to you?

Im freaking out a little because I have to do 34 paintings in 28 days and these are just some of the character comps that didn't get approved on the first go. I really suck at painting children.

well the biggest problem i see to start out with is not really in painting children, it's with maintaining the proportions that you have set out
    Eva2_proportions.jpg

in this drawover, I shrunk the profile down to make it the same size as the 3/4 and lined up the top of the head and chin as best I could
    look at how much longer the nose is in the 3/4, and where all of the features lie.
    Children typically have much bigger heads than adults
    oversized eyes, oversized ears and oversized foreheads are commons tools that artists like rockwell used to depict children.
    The girl has sort of a fat face going on in the profile, it's evident in the chin which hangs really low when compared to the front view. Also I feel like her features are kind of squished up, her nose needs to be elongated and shaped more like the nose on the 3/4

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    and here's a quick paintover
    Eva2_paintover.jpg

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    awesome, that helps quite a bit. I think I win a prize for getting the most people to do a paint over for me. You guys are great.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    well i mean you've got good work to start with so it's easy to kinda just move things around

beavotron on
  • Options
    pittenspittens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The red riding hood is sweet :D

I made this for my little sister's get-well card, poor thing will be in surgery on halloween
    she likes neopets so i just googled "halloween neopets" and choose something that looked cool

2ithgsy.jpg

I hardly ever softshade because... I'm terrible at it (: turns into a gently gradiated blob. So I tried to actually get some shape out of this
    just realized it's putting no weight on its hind leg(s?) lol

edit BOTP

pittens on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ken, I've been meaning to track down this little movie for a long time now. I watched it in 6th grade and was absolutely amazed by it. I found out what the name was and found it last night

Donald in Mathmagic Land

None of the math is anything too advanced, but the way they explain it along with the little tricks they show to understand it makes me smile every time I watch it.

Especially the part that reminds me of your dilemma and what Beavo is telling you. They talk about the Golden Rectangle and those perfect dimensions.

I know it's a basic concept and one the vast majority of artists know, but seeing it always makes me think COOOOOOOOOL. I

It's important to, well, get back to basics every once in a while. This film helps me do that and I just wanted to share it with all you wonderful people.

here it is. They talk about the Golden Rectangle near the end of the first video and into the second

Donald in Mathmagic Land 1

Donald in Mathmagic Land 2

Donald in Mathmagic Land 3

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    oh my god I watched those in year 9 maths hahahaha

I love you

pittens on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    pittens wrote: »

I made this for my little sister's get-well card, poor thing will be in surgery on halloween
    she likes neopets so i just googled "halloween neopets" and choose something that looked cool

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ithgsy.jpg

It's still super cute and that's all that really matters.

I randomly got on neopets the other day. My account was 9 years old.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Skelly B wrote: »
    pittens wrote: »

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ithgsy.jpg

It's still super cute and that's all that really matters.

I randomly got on neopets the other day. My account was 9 years old.

haha good old neopets
    I haven't played since I was 11 but I remember it being hot shit

pittens on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember neopets being a lot of fun.........until they started going corporate, and offering things for real money, and then everything just went downhill at an accelerated pace.

NightDragon on
This discussion has been closed.