As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age: Origins: [Please Post in New Thread]

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I refuse to click the link

What is it about? :(

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It is the most awful, debased discussion I've ever seen.

Also, it is the creepiest thread.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love internet forums. Reminds me of the Lion King.

"Someday all this will be yours, my son. Except for that dark area over there. Just...just stay the fuck away from there."

Havelock on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks like I ran into another bug, this time with the Social Network Site. I chose to upload a Human Noble I made, and instead it uploaded a City Elf Warrior I had created some time ago but deleted and never uploaded. Is there any way to delete characters off the site?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A better question is why would anyone load Vista onto a Macbook under bootcamp? I don't understand. D:
    XP for stabilizability, addons, and dependability. Or Windows 7 for shiny newness that actually works.

Professional reasons. I also, unfortunately, won't be upgrading to Win7 any time soon.

Sounds like I might have to do some playing around with drivers and whatnot. Le sigh.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Definitely want this game after playing with the character creator.

Where should I go to pre-order it? What I mean is, I am getting it for the Ps3, so digital distribution (my preferred medium) is out.

I think I want the collector's edition for the Magic staff thingy...but don't different retailers also grant you different items as WELL as those things?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Arch wrote: »

Where should I go to pre-order it? What I mean is, I am getting it for the Ps3, so digital distribution (my preferred medium) is out.

I think I want the collector's edition for the Magic staff thingy...but don't different retailers also grant you different items as WELL as those things?

If you pre-order any version of the game, you will receive the Memory Band, a special ring which adds an extra 1% to your experience gain or can be used to add a single point into a character's skill set.

If you pre-order at participating retailers, you will receive one of five in-game items. For example, you will receive the Lion's Paw boots from Amazon.com, which adds to armor, dodge, and evading missiles.

All copies of the Collector's Edition include Bergen's Honor, a massive helmet made of dragonbone; Grimoire of the Wastes, a special book that adds +3 attributes points when read; and Final Reason, a magical staff of immense power.

Dashui on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

If you pre-order any version of the game, you will receive the Memory Band, a special ring which adds an extra 1% to your experience gain or can be used to add a single point into a character's skill set.

If you pre-order at participating retailers, you will receive one of five in-game items. For example, you will receive the Lion's Paw boots from Amazon.com, which adds to armor, dodge, and evading missiles.

All copies of the Collector's Edition include Bergen's Honor, a massive helmet made of dragonbone; Grimoire of the Wastes, a special book that adds +3 attributes points when read; and Final Reason, a magical staff of immense power.

Ok, thank you for reposting the OP. What I MEANT was, what the hell are the bonuses for "participating retailers"

which ones are those?

Arch on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Ok, thank you for reposting the OP. What I MEANT was, what the hell are the bonuses for "participating retailers"

which ones are those?

You'll need to go find some place that's not sold out and look at what's listed. Most places are sold out, and the few that apparently aren't don't list what you get (not counting digital versions).

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    *Reads OP

wait. Voiced by Kate Mulgrew AND Tim Curry?

Holy shit awesome.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So according to one of the persons who previewed the game.

"when you leave an area it says "Gather your party and venture forth?""

spamfilter on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesome Dragon Age preview on GamingTrend

Warning: reading this makes the wait for the game even more painful.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I finished The Calling.
    So is that mystery baby
    Alistair?
    Or
    definitely Alistair?
    Either one easily makes Duncan one of the worst babysitters ever.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really do wish that I could import other people's characters as a base and then modify them. Some people are just better at making faces than I am.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Maz- wrote: »

A preview that finally mentions the graphical settings and system hardware they used!

"Since we all know that 'Recommended' specs for a game can be somewhat misleading, I figured I’d take a quick peek at what hardware was running our game after one of our play sessions. The game was running at 1900x1200 (16:10) with all details maxed out, Anti-Aliasing at 8x, and never dropped a frame. To accomplish this, we used Intel Quad Core 9300s at 2.5 GHz, 2GB of RAM, and a single nVidia 8800 GT graphics card."

I was worried, but that's not bad. I don't have a quad core, but I have more RAM and a better graphics card than that system. I should bet set to run it at 1680x1050. Woohoo!

Dashui on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    And if the character creator is only PC, do the uploaded characters only apply to PC versions of the game (I would assume yes, but I'm hoping no)?
    I believe one of the devs posted that, no, uploaded characters could apply to console versions.

But that may just have been the trinket you get for creating one.

Just to clarify, you can't use the character creator and import the character into any of the console versions. You will still get that little doodad (that gives +1 to all stats) though if you play with the CC, and since you will have a code for that; it is available on consoles.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wait, do they send you a code separately for using the CC, cause I never got one.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Wait, do they send you a code separately for using the CC, cause I never got one.

I haven't gotten it yet either, those who have got it in the email they signed up with.

Egos on
  • Options
    BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Stupid steam has DA up for a pre-order page, but no actual button to let me buy it :(

Or am I blind?

Birudojin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Egos wrote: »

I haven't gotten it yet either, those who have got it in the email they signed up with.

I read it gives you the ring based on signing into your account when you get the game, not a code. For the PC, anyway.

And no, there's no damn button to buy it yet on Steam. Why don't you just, you know, burn a copy? :P

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I read it gives you the ring based on signing into your account when you get the game, not a code. For the PC, anyway.

And no, there's no damn button to buy it yet on Steam. Why don't you just, you know, burn a copy? :P

There might be an email going out? I know some have gotten one with a code.

Then there is this http://daforums.bioware.com/viewpost.html?topic=698275&post=6756624

Egos on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Birudojin wrote: »
    Stupid steam has DA up for a pre-order page, but no actual button to let me buy it :(

Or am I blind?

I'm relieved to inform you that you can, in fact, count yourself among the seeing.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wait, Bioware employees have to buy the game, they don't get a free copy?

spamfilter on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I run fine on a current MacBook Pro with 4 GB of RAM and Win 7 Pro.

Which probably doesn't help the guy who asked.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

To get the ring for uploading a character, you have to associate your Live or PSN tag with your EA account. There's an option for it somewhere in the EA account settings.

grrarg on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I may get a free copy, but I have friends who want one as well. Plus, we often get our copies:
    a) in disk format (I'd prefer steam to keep desk clutter down and for the DLC content that comes with it)
    b) after the actual launch, due to the first batches of disks going to retailers

Given all this free time I have during ME2 crunch, I'd prefer getting it earlier than not :D
    I have, in fact, zero free time.

Unless you count the hours between 2am and 9am free?

Birudojin on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I may get a free copy, but I have friends who want one as well. Plus, we often get our copies:
    a) in disk format (I'd prefer steam to keep desk clutter down and for the DLC content that comes with it)
    b) after the actual launch, due to the first batches of disks going to retailers

Given all this free time I have during ME2 crunch, I'd prefer getting it earlier than not :D
    I have, in fact, zero free time.

Unless you count the hours between 2am and 9am free?

Sleep is for the weak.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Luckily, I've already cut that down to about 5 hours a night.

Birudojin on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well at least you'll be covered by worker's comp when you stab yourself 78 times trying to get at the insects in your chest.

Hoz on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been living on about four or five hours a night for the last year and that totally doesn't happen, Hoz.

The reason being, you don't have enough energy to lift a knife.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Luckily, I've already cut that down to about 5 hours a night.

That's halfway to double digits.

Weakass Canadians.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I'm thinking of getting DA on steam for the DLC..I'm curious about the pre-order items though. Can you make your own items like with the Bethesda toolkit or are you stuck using only the in-game items? Also, what are the chances that someone will release a mod with the pre-order items so cheap bastards like me can get them?

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Agahnim wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of getting DA on steam for the DLC..I'm curious about the pre-order items though. Can you make your own items like with the Bethesda toolkit or are you stuck using only the in-game items? Also, what are the chances that someone will release a mod with the pre-order items so cheap bastards like me can get them?

I assume you can and I assume very, very high. I see no way they could prevent it. There's a toolset, there's sharing what you make, so, yeah...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I assume you can and I assume very, very high. I see no way they could prevent it.

Good, goooood... :twisted:

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
  • Options
    dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not so sure someone will be able to mod in the preorder items. I mean, they're DLC, and they might have some way to prevent people from modding Shale/Warden's Keep/etc in without paying for it.

dsplaisted on
    2850-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, Shale and Warden's Keep wont be built in the toolset, no way. But the pre-order items? I'm guessing every person with enough interest to even install it will be able to figure out how to make an item. And if not, there's this handy guide!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maz- wrote: »

A preview that finally mentions the graphical settings and system hardware they used!

"Since we all know that 'Recommended' specs for a game can be somewhat misleading, I figured I’d take a quick peek at what hardware was running our game after one of our play sessions. The game was running at 1900x1200 (16:10) with all details maxed out, Anti-Aliasing at 8x, and never dropped a frame. To accomplish this, we used Intel Quad Core 9300s at 2.5 GHz, 2GB of RAM, and a single nVidia 8800 GT graphics card."

I was worried, but that's not bad. I don't have a quad core, but I have more RAM and a better graphics card than that system. I should bet set to run it at 1680x1050. Woohoo!

Oh nice, I can probably run this at high to near-highest settings then. I have the same card, more RAM, no quad core but I do believe what I have is faster supposedly. I knew I would be able to run this, just was wondering how nice it would look.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The way the online achievements work though, I suspect any character/save game that has been modded in any way will not register on the social site.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alrighty so assuming I can h4x the pre-order items or create something similar through the toolkit, I really only need to get the Digital Deluxe Addition to keep my gamer's OCD in check. Has anyone happened on any good deals for this?

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alrighty so assuming I can h4x the pre-order items or create something similar through the toolkit

Is there going to be a modder toolkit?

Scosglen on