As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Structural Engineering Question

Roland of GileadRoland of Gilead Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I don't know if there is anyone out there that can answer this but I'm hopeful.

I'm making some bolts for Motorcycles. We're replacing the stock bolts on the bike with bolts made from 17-4PH stainless steel. The stock bolts are heat treated 4140 or 4340 I think. Is there anyone out there that knows about the strengths and weaknesses of various metals and could help me answer some questions about our application?

Barneysig.jpg
Roland of Gilead on

• Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    No, but I'm fairly certain that wooden dowel rods would not be an acceptable solution.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    pm me if you have specific questions and I'll help if I can

but why the hell are you making your own bolts?

Usagi on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there anyone out there that knows about the strengths and weaknesses of various metals and could help me answer some questions about our application?

yes, what's your question?

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Here's the Sandmeyer writeup on it. I'm with Usagi on this one too. Why the hell are you making your own bolts?

http://www.sandmeyersteel.com/17-4PH-spec.html

Vortigern on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The MatWeb database is probably what you're looking for.

Also know that the processing of the parts are just as important as the material composition. Quality parts are difficult to make without precise timings and indicators.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know how it works in motorcycle manufacturing, but I know that in other situations, you have to get specific parts from specific, approved manufacturers, in order to legally get something out to the public. This includes bolts.

Think about it this way - if your bolt happens to break, what would happen to the bike and the rider?

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know how it works in motorcycle manufacturing, but I know that in other situations, you have to get specific parts from specific, approved manufacturers, in order to legally get something out to the public. This includes bolts.

Think about it this way - if your bolt happens to break, what would happen to the bike and the rider?

well it's not approved manufacturers, it's more about the processes by which you make the bolt and whether it can meet the required specs for the application

Usagi on