As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SPLIT: Stardock CEO dumb enough to deserve own thread

1101112131416»

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's because those who watch the Daily Show are already interested in politics and need to know to get the jokes.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's because those who watch the Daily Show are already interested in politics and need to know to get the jokes.
    People who watch the Daily Show are informed, but they're rarely being informed BY the Daily Show.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not suprised that the morning news shows are on the bottom.. they're basically talk shows with a news format with extended infomercials.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm kind of surprised FOX's "identify Putin" numbers are so low.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe I'm reading those numbers wrong, but I suspect there isn't a qualified difference in the averages of those viewing/listening audiences.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »
    We actually had this problem at our company. We buy time on the network, so we instantly got phone calls from both sides. People said they would drop our services if we dropped our advertising with GB, and people said they would drop our services if we didnt drop our advertising. If it werent all over the phone, I think the people contacting us would of gotten violent, they were very irate and screaming from both sides at our reps. It was pretty crazy for a while.

In fairness the issue is that UPS dropped advertising with the entire Fox News channel, whilst at the time articles about the boycott were being written, all other companies that did drop their spots/refuse to advertise in the future merely dropped them from the GB show.

I don't understand the distinction, really. It's not like Glenn Beck is a citizens a town called Fox Newsia, and people are really mad at the mayor for not burning his house down. Beck is a Fox News employee. Fox News looked at Beck and thought "well, we love what you offer. You know that Keith Ellison stunt and all that stuff you did at Headline? We saw that and thought "that man belongs at Fox News." Come on board, we'll give you monies!"

If you want to get into the issue of responsibility vis-a-vis racial extremism on a news channel, we could talk about Pat Buchanan - a far more openly racist demogogue than Beck - and his long, sordid history at MSNBC, and their promotion of his old show, not to mention the fact that even today he's regularly brought on as a respected commentator. AFAIK UPS havn't boycotted MSNBC. frogboy claims he doesn't like or watch Glenn Beck, but thought it was hypocritical for UPS to 'blacklist' Fox News as a whole. Regardless of how valid his position is on his counter-boycott-type...thing, I can see where he's coming from in that sense.

Actually, does UPS advertise with MSNBC in the first place?

I know that MSNBC/NBC Universal (and CBS radio) lost a lot of ad monies when Don Imus was a racist idiot. Then he got fired. Not sure if everybody came back afterward or not, but seeing how he was no longer being broadcast by the network I wouldn't be surprised. Glenn Beck, meanwhile, gets spread around Fox after doing something idiotic, so I can see why UPS would want to expand the quarantine zone.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The picture they used didn't show his soul, or the letters KGB, in his eyes.

moniker on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »

They'd recognize his head floating above Alaska.

Drake on
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    People who watch the Daily Show are informed, but they're rarely being informed BY the Daily Show.

I learn something sometimes. I learned how much of a douchebag Jim Cramer is. I continue to learn the depths of douchebaggery the republicans exude (for whatever isnt mentioned on these forums), and other similar stuff.

His guests often have interesting points of view and I learn something from them.

In contrast I could watch every broadcast of the glenn beck show and I would become less informed than I am now.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Judgement wrote: »

:?:

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Judgement wrote: »

:?:

Text 542542 with your question. "542" = "KGB" = "Knowledge Generation Bureau", a text service that answers your questions for a fee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWXo3ctvGXI

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wulf wrote: »
    I only cringe when I hear people quoting John Stewart or any of those opinion show hosts as news sources. It hurts my brain meats.

(I only singled out John Stewart since he was one mentioned when I overheard the conversation in the Supermarket while getting lunch, but the others all rank up there too!)

Honestly, you're right to cringe.

The Green Lanterns are supposed to be apolitical.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I only cringe when I hear people quoting John Stewart or any of those opinion show hosts as news sources. It hurts my brain meats.

(I only singled out John Stewart since he was one mentioned when I overheard the conversation in the Supermarket while getting lunch, but the others all rank up there too!)

This made me laugh way too much.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bolthorn wrote: »

This made me laugh way too much.

God bless a political thread on a video game forum populated by geeks.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Oh hey, related shit going on in Sweden.

The Swedish hamburger chain Max removed fruit salads produced by Dole from their menu, as a response to Dole suing the maker of the movie Bananas!*

"We don't like Dole's acting. Suing a movie maker instead of having a dialogue is fucked up," the CEO of Max is quoted as saying.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Oh hey, related shit going on in Sweden.

The Swedish hamburger chain Max removed fruit salads produced by Dole from their menu, as a response to Dole suing the maker of the movie Bananas!*

"We don't like Dole's acting. Suing a movie maker instead of having a dialogue is fucked up," the CEO of Max is quoted as saying.

OH NOES! They aren't gonna have fruit salad?! Why, God, why? What other burger joint am I going to have to go to now, just to have my fruit salad?

In all seriousness, I haven't seen this documentary, but Dole has a right to sue. Max doesn't have much of an issue with Dole at all. It's got nothing to do with them, so I cannot see why they would do this.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png