As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LA-MULANA 1 & 2 out now on Switch, Xbox One, PS4!

Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously PrettyRegistered User regular
edited March 2020 in Games and Technology
4ol3w8dyq8az.jpg
Finally La-Mulana has reached consoles! The adventure starts here!

Long ago, this thread began as a Let's Play of La-Mulana. Back in those ancient times, there was only the MSX-stylized freeware version. While that version of the game is still available for download, unfortunately it has serious compatibility issues with Windows 10.

What Is La-Mulana, Anyway?

The madness of a deranged mind made manifest.

Alternatively: Indiana Jones-like Metroidvania platformers with a huge emphasis on puzzle solving. They're pretty infamous for their difficulty, to the point that the remake was sometimes pitched as "the Dark Souls of platform games". This is not true. Dark Souls' difficulty is very much not La-Mulana's.

The general set-up of the original La-Mulana is pretty simple: you are Professor Lemeza Kosugi, an archaeologist with a background in ninjitsu (not kidding). You arrive at a village just outside the legendary ruins of La-Mulana, the supposed cradle of all civilization. You're armed with a whip, a laptop and pretty much nothing else. Your goal: explore the ruins of La-Mulana and uncover their secrets.

The sequel is set years after the first game and sees the daughter of Lemeza, Lumisa, shows up and has to solve some new mysteries that have popped up by delving into the ruins.

How La-Mulana Challenges You

To boil this down as succinctly as possible: La-Mulana is old-school difficult. Limited jump physics, cryptic puzzles, few tutorials and very little hand holding are just some of the ways these games go after you. If you don't cheat and look up the correct solutions to puzzles, you will find yourself stuck at many points. It can be annoying, it can be frustrating, it can be infuriating!

But then you crack open a puzzle, feel that heady sense of accomplishment and progress onward. Or maybe that's just me? Whatever the case, La-Mulana requires a certain mentality when you play it. It's not trying to be friendly, it's not trying to help you and it's certainly not trying to be for everyone. But if it is for you? Then you'll have a blast!

Where Can I Get This Game?

On Steam, GOG, Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch! Possibly more places that I'm not aware of, too.

Gennenalyse Rueben on

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh ye gods, La-Mulana. Quite possibly one of the most innocuously sadistic games ever - I can't possibly imagine how people are going to react once it comes out on WiiWare. Sure it looks like fun and simple . . . until you start banging your head against the wall because of the puzzles.

Looking good so far, dude. Not to steal your thunder, but I first learned about this from Deceased Crab's LP of the game. Check it out sometime - his freak-outs are hilarious, especially during Hell Temple. Good luck to you.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Crab's LP of this game was epic. You have a lot to live up to, good luck!

muninn on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Deleted because irrelevant.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh, I'm more than aware of Deceased Crab's LP of it. In fact, it's the reason I even played this game to begin with. I watched the Guidance Gate, then bits of the Giant's Mausoleum and decided to take a crack at it myself. Wound up beating it before I knew it, only resorting to guides for the most insane puzzles (Aztec's fifth age bull crap damn who thought that up).
    I take it that's the reason you're not doing Hell Temple then? Seeing DC suffer through that lunacy (especially for the great "reward" . . . *shudder*) was more than enough, huh?

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hell, yeah, let's do this.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, I'm more than aware of Deceased Crab's LP of it. In fact, it's the reason I even played this game to begin with. I watched the Guidance Gate, then bits of the Giant's Mausoleum and decided to take a crack at it myself. Wound up beating it before I knew it, only resorting to guides for the most insane puzzles (Aztec's fifth age bull crap damn who thought that up).
    I take it that's the reason you're not doing Hell Temple then? Seeing DC suffer through that lunacy (especially for the great "reward" . . . *shudder*) was more than enough, huh?

The only way to play La Mulana is 100% hell temple complete. Anything less is not La Mulana.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Move along to the last page, nothing to see here.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Seriously, move on to the end of the thread, nothing here worth seeing.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So the first video has the Deceased Crab videos on the related video. I just finally saw the end video after seeing probably 50 episodes and getting sick of it.

What?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So the first video has the Deceased Crab videos on the related video. I just finally saw the end video after seeing probably 50 episodes and getting sick of it.

What?

If that "what?" is referring to what I think it is, then that is your reward for completing the ultra-hard, massively frustrating bonus dungeon.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Videos? What are those?

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Deleted for irrelevance.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I seriously want to see this Hell Temple business.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    harvest wrote: »
    I seriously want to see this Hell Temple business.

Oh god. I don't. I don't. D:

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh god. I don't. I don't. D:
    This man speaks truth. Hell Temple is one of the most sadistic, diabolical challenges ever put into a video game. It's essentially the developers giving you one long, drawn out middle finger while laughing at your pathetic, feeble attempts at completing it.

Hell Temple is HELL.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hello, again! This update will be a little meatier than just a video. It's my first Lore Update! In this, I will have the text of most of the tablets encountered in the mausoleum along with an explanation of what it means, or at least what it could mean. I'm not sure how many of these I'll make, but there will be more. This update is entitled:

The History of the Giants

We will be exploring this race's tragic history through the tablets that we've been reading all throughout the mausoleum. But first, I've compiled an image showing each Giant within the mausoleum and who they are:
    TheGiants.png

Tablet 1: “We were the second race born of the Great Mother. We were born to return her to the skies. This is the sad story of our race.
    Nine brothers led our race: Zeb, Bud, Migera, Led, Fut, Abt, Zi, Riv, and Sakit.”

It took a while, but I managed to figure out which Giant is which. This tablet assisted me in the process. We don't learn a whole lot from it, but it tells us that the nine Giants we're finding across the Mausoleum are brothers and the leaders of their kind. It also tells us of their race's mission: to return the Mother, whoever she is, to the skies. The obvious answer is zomg aliens.

Tablet 2: “Migera is left-handed.”

This also assisted me in identifying the Giants. Migera is the only one holding anything with his left hand and it almost certainly is intended to assist you in the Life Jewel puzzle.

Tablet 3:
    Opposition.png

This is a tablet I missed reading, so I took a screenshot of it for you. As you can see, nearly half of the brothers did not want to fulfill their race's mission. They wanted this “Mother” to remain with them, probably for the same reason most children would not want their parents to leave. I also noticed a very interesting thing relating to this: Abt, Zi, Riv, and Sakit are all near one another, on the opposite side of the mausoleum from those that supported the mission.

Tablet 4: “The eldest, Zeb, could not move, as he had to hold up the Earth.”

Note that Zeb, the Atlas-looking fellow who appeared to be holding the roof up, is separated from his eight brothers. He does not fit into either group. The significance of this is likely that Zeb was neutral in his brothers' disagreements and conflicts. I would hypothesize that he “held up the Earth” by being an arbiter between them, he “could not move” meaning that he was unable to take a side lest things go to hell from a disruption in the balance of power.

Tablet 5: “Bud, Migera, Led, and Fut built a flying tower to return the Mother to the sky.”

Confirming that the Giants' leaders had two opposing factions, the other four supported the mission given to their race by this mysterious Mother being. That said, we haven't seen any indications of advanced technology in this ruin yet. Maybe we're misunderstanding the idea of a “flying tower”?

Tablet 6: “The mother was great. Great enough so that even the Giants seemed dwarfed by her.
    The Giants were great. Great enough that thee, little one, seem dwarfed by them.”

We now know the truth. The Mother was Lavos. Er, no. What this tells us is that this Mother entity was freaking ginormous. Actually, it puts into doubt the very existence of this entity. Perhaps the Mother was, say...a mountain that these Giants worshipped? Even a Giant the size of a small building would be dwarfed by a mountain.
    Don't spoil it. I'm not.

Tablet 7: “On a day when the sun was bright, Led fell in battle. A large hole torn in his chest, he went into his long, final rest.”

This is how I identified Led, though it was pretty easy considering he's the only one with a gaping hole in his chest. Still, there was a battle. There are no indications anywhere that the Giants had any outside enemies, so it seems likely that their race was undergoing a civil war by this point. Sad.

Tablet 8: “To launch the tower, water was indespensible. Migera carried a lake to this land and expired in the effort.”

Launch? Uh, yeah. We're not misunderstanding anything – that was a rocket. What this tells us is that one of of the Giants brought an entire damn lake to La-Mulana. If he carried it all by himself, no wonder he died in the effort. Considering they were Giants, there probably weren't too many of them...so it's possible he actually did do it solo.

Tablet 9: “Zi started praying on a moonlight night.”

A hint as to what happens when you switch the room of time to triple moons, not much else.

Tablet 10: “Bud went into a long, final rest on a night when the sky was full of stars.”

Used to identify which one was Bud and a hint as to how to get the Ankh Jewel for the field.

Tablet 11: “Grieving for his elder brothers, Riv dug a tunnel from the lake to the tower to bring water to it. He collapsed in the effort and went into a long rest.”

Apparently the tragedy that was occuring around him caused Riv to have a change of heart. Sadly, he died in the effort. Also, I identified Riv by a tablet that appears much later in the game – and it will actually have some relation to this tablet...

Tablet 12: “The youngest, Sakit, followed his own path. He locked Led's body, left power in his hand, and went into a long rest.”

This is one of the most important tablets in this field. Sakit followed his own path. He was one of those in the Opposition faction, but yet he followed his own path. My hypothesis is that Sakit is the one that initiated the civil war that most likely destroyed the Giants, killing Led in the process. This is also a hint as to how to activate the Ankh of the field: Led's body is locked. The Ankh also appears in his hand, where he left power. His long rest may also not actually be death, but instead merely stasis...

Tablet 13: "In order to hold up the Earth, Zeb stopped moving, and the brothers split into two factions and fought amongst themselves."

Basically a repeat of the information above about the factions, and Zeb not being part of them. This could also mean that Zeb died, leaving the factions to squabble with no mediation.

Tablet 14: “We could not grant the Great Mother's wish.
    I am the only one to remain, and here I go to my long, final rest.

Abt”

The only tablet signed by an actual Giant. This is the only thing we have indicating anything about Abt, so I pretty much had to figure out who he was by process of elimination. I can only imagine what it would feel like to be the last member of your species alive...

What can we gather from all of this?

The Giants were a technologically advanced race capable of spaceflight, yet they existed for scarcely one of their generations. There is no way to tell how long a Giant lived naturally, but I presume it was a pretty long time. Their race was plagued with in-fighting and ideological divisions. Zeb served as a mediator between both groups, keeping things in place. When he died at an unspecified point, tensions mounted.

The youngest and presumably most foolhardy of the nine brothers, Sakit, then initiated the hostilities that ultimately caused the demise of their race. Towards the end of this conflict, Riv – wracked with guilt and sorrow over the death of his kinsmen and people – completed the work on the flying tower that was started by Bud, Migera, Led, and Fut. He died in the process, however.

In the end, only Abt was left standing. Alone. I believe that he was the one that wrote the history that is scattered about in the mausoleum, doing what he could to leave some kind of legacy for his people before his inevitable death. He may even have been the one who created the mausoleum. Whatever the case, it seems very likely that the Giants died out entirely at their own hands. A sad end for any race.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Good summary on the giants. The game sure has a lot of cool background but also leaves a lot of things up to the player to piece together or deduce.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Must have moar non-DC La Mulana :<

SinWithSebastian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    harvest wrote: »
    Good summary on the giants. The game sure has a lot of cool background but also leaves a lot of things up to the player to piece together or deduce.

Indeed, it's one of the many things I absolutely love about the game. As much as I dislike not knowing things, at the same time not knowing can be more fun because of everything you come up with yourself.

Also, I absolutely destroy the Sun Temple in the videos 9 and 10, which are in the OP now.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    <3 La-mulana. Finally able to sit down and watch these, I cant wait~

Also water is deadly to Lemeza because he gets a cramp from all the curry he eats. Everyone knows not to go swimming after eating...

Adellios on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hope the wii ware version has an option that lets you use the older style visuals

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'd expect him to have cramps all the time from all that curry. Also, videos 11 - 13 are up! Here's a list of every item we collect across the three videos: the Ice Cape, Grapple Claw, Serpent Staff, Feather, Waterproof Case, Sky Spring's Map, Conception Seal, Scalesphere, Gloves, and the Boots.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I always found the grapple claw a pain in the ass to use when it's time for some real precision jumping. Like the part with the secret room in the lava zone where the fire jets spout of the walls.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah! Great job with these videos. I look forward to watching the rest. Also, maybe you alreadt addressed it, but is it possible to turn all the audio up a little bit? My speakers aren't that good and I have trouble hearing you and th game audio sometimes.

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I recently managed to get my mic to actually pick up sound. Previously I had to half mute the game for my voice to be audible at all. I'm not actually sure what I did to fix it, but it worked and I'm not complaining about it. So I should be able to up the audio of the game in any future videos.

Didn't stop the cricket that was outside from being audible for my first video, though. I hate that so much.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Okay, my latest batch of videos should have way better sound. Hopefully. It sounds that way to me, anyway.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Studying for midterms right now, I'll watch 'em tonight. I'm excited though, these videos are great.

mr weenis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm happy that you're enjoying them! I won't ever claim that it's ultra high quality, but I am just doing it for fun. Also, the next three videos are up! I would've done them yesterday, but I was kinda busy with more important life-type things.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Video 20 is up! I've made like five videos, but haven't been able to get the commentary for them recorded. My grandmother's sick, I've not been feeling great myself, yadda yadda. I hate the fall.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    get better and record that commentary.

mr weenis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I did get better, but then the monitor got fried. D: I couldn't even make any further videos. But everything's sorted out now! This update, we stop someone from sacrificing virgins who appear out of no where and go to the end of endlessness!

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Update 12 in OP! We find the ROM combo Castlevania + Mahjong Wizard, obtaining great power; find the Ankh Jewel for the Inferno Cavern; and I make one of the tougher bosses of the game look a lot easier than it is.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    awesome!

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Update 13 in OP! Not quite as unlucky as you'd think, though the first video is...ugh. I hate that area so much. Anyway, in this update we discover the horrors of the massive Twin Labyrinths, visit the mysterious Tower of the Goddess, come one step closer to discovering the truth of La-Mulana, and obtain the best main weapon in the game.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nice, finally caught up all the way, really like them so far, keep it up.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Update 14 has hit the OP! We climb to the top of the Tower of the Goddess, obtain explosives, enter the place where all life was born, trek through the remains of a great battle, and actually accomplish things in the Twin Labyrinths.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    ThePieThePie Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Sounds much better to me. Whatever you did to the microphone really helped! I guess don't complain--it's like a tiny little miracle the lord has shared with you. It's like puppies, or Manifest Destiny.

ThePie on
    I am the shred monkey. I do the shredding. Do you have a problem with that?
    I also find the funny facebook status ideas.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I couldn't find any other La Mulana thread but the La Mulana remake just got released on PC after being declined by NOA for the US release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtAFGes3Xdo&amp;feature=plcp

The video is hilarious; watch it.

You can go buy it here:

http://www.playism-games.com/

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    You probably could have just made another.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Cave Story WiiWare was rejected numerous times by NoA and when it finally did make the grade it was still fairly subpar... Somebody let me know if the PC version is good though because I never got around to playing this game.