As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Something's screwy with this laptop...

TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses.But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
Ok, here's the backstory. My little brother was given a Dell XPS M1330 laptop a little over a year ago to take to college. It worked all fine and dandy, until approximately half a month ago, at which point he brought it back home. I took a look at it and the described symptoms, most of which involved either a blank screen slowly shifting to vertical colored lines (in the same pattern every time) followed by going white, or getting a blue screen with "memory parity error".

Now, according to him, this generally happens when he plays a game or watches a video. I kind of assumed at this point it was the GPU which was the problem. So I do a little research, and it turns out this is a rather common problem. I'm going to contact tech support soon, and the laptop's still under warranty, but as it seems to be a design flaw, the problem's going to come back eventually even if they replace the motherboard.

What can I do? Is there any sort of permanent (or at least until he moves on to another laptop) solution?

b1ehrMM.gif
TrippyJing on

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sounds like the GPU is overheating. Maybe one of those laptop stands with fans in it might help?

Frem on
  • Options
    RavenidRavenid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    <== Ex-Dell XPS Tech Support

The XPS M1330 has had this design flaw since launch. The fans inside are crap and inside has really bad airflow design. To be honest this isnt a gaming machine its more aimed at Management tyoes who want a flashy looking laptop.

But good news, its a well known issue. (Was spotted on launch day!) and is regulary replaced for systems under warranty, (Well it was in UK/IRE anyway.) Go back to Dell and kick up a fuss.

Ravenid on
    banner_en.gif

Regardless of what site you're on, you're still on the internet. There will always be retards - ThisGuy