As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread lacks tentacles

AroducAroduc regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Aroduc on

• Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Looking good.

There's not going to be a release in Europe is there?

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    FawfulFawful __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Why wouldn't there? Most N1 titles are released in Europe aren"t they?

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fawful wrote:
    I think they just got La Pucelle yesterday.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Fawful wrote:

Which was localized by Mastiff in the US, not N-1 or Atlus who have brought every other game over and if by yesterday, you mean nearly two years ago. Mastiff handled the US localization, Koei did the EU. They don't even get to complain either because they got the rerelease version with various upgrades like the New Game+ and whatnot.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    [...] I'm sure Weeaboo will confirm or deny this soon enough and give his own thoughts/impressions.

0PBF61009BC-Weeaboo.jpg

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I like the art style, can't watch the videos from work though :(

I really hope N1 starts doing something new with their games, the formula, and especially that fucking engine/set of sprites. It is starting to get really fucking old.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Fawful wrote:
    Not really, I've had La Pucelle for well over a year now and I'm sure it was out well before I bought it, since I got it bargain-priced.

Tingle on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Wow, that looks spiffy. Well another title to my want list.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I want more info. Anyone speak Japanese? I would love to see what Nippon Ichi can do with an RPG.

Pseudo related...how well does Nippon Ichi do in Japan? They are still kinda a niche publisher here...are they more mainstream over there?

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    Monkeydrye wrote:
    I want more info. Anyone speak Japanese? I would love to see what Nippon Ichi can do with an RPG.

Pseudo related...how well does Nippon Ichi do in Japan? They are still kinda a niche publisher here...are they more mainstream over there?

Development's different over there. There are a hell of a lot more small companies that operate well and aren't immediately scarfed up by EA or whoever. N-1's pretty successful and well known and has been branching out in porting other company's games to other systems, but they're certainly nowhere even approaching the Squeenix or Namco powerhouses.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monkeydrye wrote:

Development's different over there. There are a hell of a lot more small companies that operate well and aren't immediately scarfed up by EA or whoever. N-1's pretty successful and well known and has been branching out in porting other company's games to other systems, but they're certainly nowhere even approaching the Squeenix or Namco powerhouses.

That is cool. I like the thought that they are a little but successful guy. I am more glad that they are catching on around here :)

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    HUUURRGG RISE FROM THE DEAD!

So I just started playing the debug build tonight. I'm about 4 hours in. First impressions!

-Graphics are pretty much exactly the same as Disgaea 2. Same engine, same 2D sprites on 3D world idea. Battle plays out quite a bit differently, though. Basically, you build squads of (up to) 9 characters each. Every squad has 3 front row squares, 3 middle, 3 back. Depending on where you put a unit, they will have different standard attacks (healer in front - basic attack. healer in middle - heals one guy big-time. healer in back - heals everyone medium). Also depending on what types of units you put together you can unlock special team attacks that look really friggin sweet.

-When you start, you can only have 4-5 people in a squad, and the layout of front/middle/back squares is randomized. Basically, you get a random tileset. If you don't like it, you go to a menu and cycle through random patterns till you find one you like, then you lock it in. Battle actually takes place on a 2D field sorta thing, like the other games. But when you attack someone, you go to a Fire Emblem/Advance Wars type screen where you can see your attacks play out. You also have the option of turning these off and dealing damage directly on the main screen.

-In battle, you summon your army directly from your main unit. You can bring out as many as you want in one turn (max 10? I've only got 4 squads total), but each squad costs money to summon. It's not a lot, but in the early game it can be a bit of a pain.

-There's no homebase in this one. It's an FFT style, where you roam around a map, going from point to point, watching cutscenes and kicking ass.

-Can't say much about the story, except that it's certainly not zany madcap comedy like the Disgaea games. Characters so far have been interesting (and if theyre not, its my job to make em so), and there seems to be a good cutscene-to-gameplay ratio so far (minus the fairly long opening cutscene segments).

-Generally, you unlock a class when you beat that class in battle. Not always, but for the most part.

-Remember those randomized tiles I mentioned? It looks like they add different stat bonuses, depending on the tile color. They also serve as this game's 'item world', where each tile has a level rating, and you can go in and kick random ass till you wanna leave (not every 10th map, thank god).

-From what I can tell (which isn't much), it looks like items have taken a back seat to characters. Unless I'm very mistaken (highly possible), you don't equip individual characters - you equip squads with minor stat-boosting gear instead.

-There doesn't appear to be any sort of reincarnation system. Instead, whenever you create a new character, you can pay more money to instantly raise him to the same level as your main character. Or you can start him at lvl 1, or anywhere inbetween. Definitely one of the coolest features.

I think that's about it for now. It's been pretty fun (no surprise, as im an N1 addict). I'm stuck right now against the first really tough boss, so i gotta do a couple levels of grinding before i can advance the story.

Edit: Aroduckie wuckie, maybe you should change the title to let people this is an N1 title, not just some random off-the-street hobo srpg. :P

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, I was already hyped for the game, but those trailers and Houk's impressions have caused my interest to skyrocket. I need this game now. Not tomorrow, not in an hour, not 5 minutes from now. NOW.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jeeze why are you getting my excited this early?

It's not even out in Japan meaning we won't even get it until late this year or possibly next.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:

It's not even out in Japan meaning we won't even get it until late this year or possibly next.

5-6 months seems to be the norm for NIS's games, so hopefully we'll get it June-July.

Translate faster Houk. Translate faster. There are people who need their fix. You're ruining lives, Houk.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:

It'll be this year. Since it's from our parent company, we start getting assets before the game is actually released in Japan. Although, for reasons unknown to me, there's been some delay in getting the text files to start translating. But overall, it really is a nice change of pace from the previous games, while still retaining the visual charm we've all come to love.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Fawful wrote:
    We get all the Nippon Inchi stuff, it just takes a little longer (I only noticed Disgaea 2 was out around christmas). On the upside, when they are released, supplies tend to be plentiful.

And this looks awesome, although NI really need to get some new talent when it comes to music.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sorry but, Simulation RPG? I've noticed Japanese sites call them that but isn't the western version 'Strategy RPG'? I've never really understood how anyone could call them a Simulation RPG anyway.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    1) Aroduc started the thread, what do you expect?

2) The Japanese acronym being SRPG has lead to people in America assuming that the S stands for strategy. In the UK we call them Tactical RPGs which is actually more accurate in the majority of cases. Sould Cradle and Yggdra Union are the only two I've ever seen that are on a large enough scale for the word strategy to even come close to applying in a literal sense.

wateyad on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Sorry but, Simulation RPG? I've noticed Japanese sites call them that but isn't the western version 'Strategy RPG'? I've never really understood how anyone could call them a Simulation RPG anyway.

In the trailer, it calls it such. I thought that was funny.

Sounds like it drifts a bit away from Yggdra Union and more into a turn based Ogre Battle territory to me, which strangely, isn't even close to Tactics Ogre. How do the skills and spells and whatnot work? Just done within the units by some form of AI or prior setup, or selected from the main screen based on, say, the leader or something? I definitely saw a Dimension Slash in one of those, and the main character's little "my wings combine to make a scythe" move I don't see as a whole unit attack really.

Oh yeah, I demand commentary on whatever this "Steal from EVERYTHING" nonsense is that the trailer was going on about.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:

In the trailer, it calls it such. I thought that was funny.

Sounds like it drifts a bit away from Yggdra Union and more into a turn based Ogre Battle territory to me, which strangely, isn't even close to Tactics Ogre. How do the skills and spells and whatnot work? Just done within the units by some form of AI or prior setup, or selected from the main screen based on, say, the leader or something? I definitely saw a Dimension Slash in one of those, and the main character's little "my wings combine to make a scythe" move I don't see as a whole unit attack really.

Oh yeah, I demand commentary on whatever this "Steal from EVERYTHING" nonsense is that the trailer was going on about.
    Special skills, as far as I can tell, come from the specific characters in a squad. Like, the scythe attack belongs to the main character, which he can use by himself. If you put the main character and the green-haired girl together, they get a special team attack. Put a generic warrior, mage, and archer together, you get another attack (just an example - i dont think they have that).

You can't use these specials right off the bat in battle. You have to fight a few rounds, (I assume) building up some sort of meter. When you're ready to use an attack, you select it when selecting your regular attack target. Then you'll attack normally, deal that damge, then use the special attack.

Oh, one thing that kinda sucks...when you attack, your ranged units hit first, then your melee. But even if your ranged units take all the HP of the enemy frontline, they wont disappear, and your melee guys will hit an already-dead enemy, leaving the other lines. And, surprise surprise, the enemy leader is almost always in the last row.

Although the plus side to that is, if you use a special attack, many of them single out the group leader. And once he's dead, the unit's dead, even if everyone else is still alive.

I haven't run into anything about stealing from/killing villagers, so I honestly have no idea what that's about.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    The Ogre Battle similarities grow, which is an excellent thing. What's the class that has the little remote control bomb unit things?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    The Ogre Battle similarities grow, which is an excellent thing.

Also: Shouldn't that be easy to fix, Houk, the whole "attack the already dead guy" thing?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    The Ogre Battle similarities grow, which is an excellent thing. What's the class that has the little remote control bomb unit things?
    Dunno, haven't run into that yet. So far I have (off the top of my head):

A healer, a mage, a warrior, a knight, a squire, an archer, a knife-throwing dude, a fisticuffs dude, and a wolf. I've fought pretty sweet things I think I'll get eventually, like a mermaid, a gunman, and a winged chick.

t zen - maybe, i have no idea. And i dunno if it's a bug, or if that's what they intended.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

A healer, a mage, a warrior, a knight, a squire, an archer, a knife-throwing dude, a fisticuffs dude, and a wolf. I've fought pretty sweet things I think I'll get eventually, like a mermaid, a gunman, and a winged chick.

t zen - maybe, i have no idea. And i dunno if it's a bug, or if that's what they intended.

Seems more in the line of glitch than intentional. Keep us posted!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh man, the music in the first trailer kicked ass. And I love the art style, reminds me of FF Tactics.
    Any clue if/when we might see it over here?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

Seems more in the line of glitch than intentional. Keep us posted!
    yeah im definitely going to see if i can get in touch with N1 Japan about it before it goes to press.

t bahamut - unsure right now, but we're really hoping for fall 07 at the latest. or at least, i am. thats not an official estimation by any means.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am excited.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veruca Salt

[spoiler:311d653000]I want it now[/spoiler:311d653000]

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This looks like the N1 game that'll finally stand up to my wishlist.

edit: Although the "go into random tiles and kickass(P-P-P-POWERLEVEL)" has my very worried.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SirToons wrote:

edit: Although the "go into random tiles and kickass(P-P-P-POWERLEVEL)" has my very worried.
    what exactly worries you?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This game looks pretty awesome but the "armor" that the girl in the picture in the OP is wearing bugs the hell out of me. I already don't like skimpy armor but that's weird skimpy armor. I mean, she covers the bottom half but then wears a bikini-top thing? If you're going to go skimpy, then go all out skimpy. Don't just look like a retard. For some reason though, the enemy (?) artwork I saw in the character trailer didn't bug me. I guess I'm just picky when it comes to scantily-clad women.

Gilder on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    SirToons wrote:

Any similarities to Disgaea/Disgaea 2's difficulty.

Also known as level until you can beat things.

This looks like it has the chance to actually factor in some sort of tactics or strategy.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does N1 have any games on the DS? I know Atlus published Riviera, but I don't think that was N1.

Also, this looks.... ok. I'll probably try to buy it down the road. But I'm an absolute whore for strategy games so I will probably end up buying it soon.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SirToons wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    SirToons wrote:

This looks like it has the chance to actually factor in some sort of tactics or strategy.
    Ah. Yeah, I actually had issues with the item world/forced grinding, especially for the after-game unlockable bonuses. I'm hoping they've toned that down some. I just got to the first big boss without grinding, and he beat me but just barely. Half an hour of grinding should put me well above him and have me set for a while. But as it gets farther down, I can't say just yet...

t disco - sadly, no. I'm really, really hoping they see the light, but alas, nothing yet. NIS America (me) is looking at the DS, but I've recently found that DS cartridge manufacturing costs can be an absolute bitch and kill profit margins for smaller companies like us.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SirToons wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    SirToons wrote:

Disgaea 2 was complete bullshit later on. Complete fucking bullshit. It's an RPG that tried to be an SRPG, and failed miserably. Forcing incredibly narrow strategies upon players, with no alternatives, while requiring constant heavy grinding is not fun. At all.
    Houk wrote:
    SirToons wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    SirToons wrote:

Ah. Yeah, I actually had issues with the item world/forced grinding, especially for the after-game unlockable bonuses. I'm hoping they've toned that down some. I just got to the first big boss without grinding, and he beat me but just barely. Half an hour of grinding should put me well above him and have me set for a while. But as it gets farther down, I can't say just yet...

t disco - sadly, no. I'm really, really hoping they see the light, but alas, nothing yet. NIS America (me) is looking at the DS, but I've recently found that DS cartridge manufacturing costs can be an absolute bitch and kill profit margins for smaller companies like us.

The system in place that you mentioned in which any new character you create can insantly match the level, or anywhere in between, of your main (for a price) sounds like a big step forward. Hopefully gaining money doesn't become the new glorified grind of the game, though.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Gilder wrote:
    This game looks pretty awesome but the "armor" that the girl in the picture in the OP is wearing bugs the hell out of me. I already don't like skimpy armor but that's weird skimpy armor. I mean, she covers the bottom half but then wears a bikini-top thing? If you're going to go skimpy, then go all out skimpy. Don't just look like a retard. For some reason though, the enemy (?) artwork I saw in the character trailer didn't bug me. I guess I'm just picky when it comes to scantily-clad women.

Maybe she's a horseman.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The system in place that you mentioned in which any new character you create can insantly match the level, or anywhere in between, of your main (for a price) sounds like a big step forward. Hopefully gaining money doesn't become the new glorified grind of the game, though.
    Yeah, it's been pretty nice so far. I have a feeling it'll come down to, get them to a certain level close to but not at the main char, then spend time grinding them up to full level. Or something like that.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    Yeah, it's been pretty nice so far. I have a feeling it'll come down to, get them to a certain level close to but not at the main char, then spend time grinding them up to full level. Or something like that.

I'm still nursing my Ogre Battle fantasies where there's a massive rubberband effect on killing things of higher levels. That's probably my favorite methodology of leveling of all of them, but I'm also fairly certain that I'm deluding myself.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, NIS is at it again with the awesome. I'm looking forward to this!

PSSSST: any news on Disgaea PSP?

Obligatory edit: I <3 Houk!

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
This discussion has been closed.