As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Carpet Beetle Larvae

ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a wicker chest that I keep sheets and clothes in. Have been finding holes in my clothes for a number of months. Finally found articles of clothing with larvae and dried husks attached to them.

The larvae are small, and at first glance looked like lint. According to Google Image search, I'm probably dealing with varied carpet beetle larvae. No adults have been seen.

So far, I've discarded all of the articles of clothing I was willing to part with, and washed the remainder at the highest heat setting. Those clothes are in my car awaiting a safe place to return.

I plan to steam clean the carpets in the room, vacuum the wicker chest, and I have borax and am contemplating treating the immediate area either with it dry or a water mixture through a spray gun.

Tell me how to get rid of them.

ManonvonSuperock on

• Options
    BushiBushi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm no exterminator, but I'm relatively sure you're going to have to catch your carpet on fire. Just to be sure.

Bushi on
  • Options
    Luck3ySe7enLuck3ySe7en The ROKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    From what i've read, use the borax. Its safe for humans and will help deter the beatles from coming back. It does say that boric acid can bleach fabrics so once you treat the chest, make sure the clothes dont come into contact with the chest itself. Maybe try the plastic bag trick?

Reference: http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-carpet-beetles.htm

Luck3ySe7en on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    From what i've read, use the borax. Its safe for humans and will help deter the beatles from coming back.

tumblr_kqvak6PUtK1qzhi9wo1_500.jpg

Saddler on
  • Options
    Luck3ySe7enLuck3ySe7en The ROKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    From what i've read, use the borax. Its safe for humans and will help deter the beatles from coming back.

lol, dammit i just finished the beatles rock band too. Damn those sneaky beatles. Especially that Ringo!

Luck3ySe7en on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

He is showing how bug-free his clothes are.

He is so charming.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

He is showing how bug-free his clothes are.

He is so charming.

How gear.

OP: Carpet beetles are fucks. They can get into your house in a number of ways, including via plants you bring inside. They also live almost anywhere, such as inside your fucking walls.

Check all of the food in your house for larvae, and make sure you vacuum your place VERY well to get up any pet fur or human hair. Wash all fabric (throw rugs, drapes, clothes, blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, etc.) in hot water to kill anything on there. You can also shove stuff in the freezer for a couple of weeks, if you can't wash it.

You can also put sticky traps down on your window sills and such, to catch any adults trying to get in (if that is where you think they are getting in.)

These guys are extremely hard to get rid of once you have them, so be thorough. In the end, you may need to seek professional help.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    These guys are extremely hard to get rid of once you have them, so be thorough. In the end, you may need to seek professional help.

All I need to do is make sure these larvae stop eating my underwear for the next year or so. No way I'm paying for pro help.
    Bushi wrote: »
    I'm no exterminator, but I'm relatively sure you're going to have to catch your carpet on fire. Just to be sure.

If I do it, it's going to be the whole the apartment and while you're asleep in it you bastard.
    I'm also collecting all of the larvae and putting them in your closet.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    BushiBushi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fine, I'll catch that carpet on fire too. Sawing a hole in in our stairway wall means we're probably not getting the security deposit back anyway.

Bushi on
This discussion has been closed.