As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BSOD errors on an Nvidia 9400GT 1GB.

BasicBasic Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Every time I start up a game, it runs fine until about ten minutes afterwards where I suddenly get a blue screen of death.

I don't know what is causing this, but I think it's the graphics card. I bought it as a sort of place holder for my 8800GTS because I started getting weird red scan lines and fatal crashes. I hear the 9400GT isn't considered a real gaming card and that has me thinking that it might be the graphics card. I don't quite know.

If anyone can tell me what's wrong or can confirm my suspicions it would be a great help.

Basic on

• Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would get red artifacts from overheating from when I had my power source replaced and the technician for some reason unplugged the fan from the video card. Check your fans and stuff and get the unit off of the carpet.

The other thing to check your power source rating. How many Watts is it? Do you have multiple harddrives? Are you running SLI?

exmello on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Writing down what the BSOD says would be helpful.

My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Startup and Recovery Settings -> System Failure Uncheck Automatically Restart (it'll leave it on the BSOD until you reset)

The free downloadable program Whocrashed will also provide information. Just make sure you run it as an administrator.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    exmello wrote: »
    I would get red artifacts from overheating from when I had my power source replaced and the technician for some reason unplugged the fan from the video card. Check your fans and stuff and get the unit off of the carpet.

The other thing to check your power source rating. How many Watts is it? Do you have multiple harddrives? Are you running SLI?

Well I have a 700 Watt power supply and the card requires only 300 watts, and I do have 2 hard drives, and I don't know if I am running SLI, how would I know?

Basic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    Writing down what the BSOD says would be helpful.

My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Startup and Recovery Settings -> System Failure Uncheck Automatically Restart (it'll leave it on the BSOD until you reset)

The free downloadable program Whocrashed will also provide information. Just make sure you run it as an administrator.

Okay I will try right now.

Basic on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A 9400GT in no way needs 300W!

This sounds either your card overheating, or a faulty card that's really sensitive to temperature increases.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    A 9400GT in no way needs 300W!

This sounds either your card overheating, or a faulty card that's really sensitive to temperature increases.

That's what the box says.

Basic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, here is the BSOD message:

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED....

A WAIT OPERATION, ATACH PROCESS OR YIELD WAS ATTEMPTED FROM A DPC ROUTINE.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

STOP: 0x000000B8 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

That's all that seemed important.

Basic on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That box is crazy heh, not even the top videocards pull 300W from your system :P

SLI is when you're running 2 videocards in parallel as one.

Google tells me that your error is a driver related error. Try installing the newest drivers.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright, necrobump.

After looking online for a while I found about Verifier (verifies drives) and decided to verify all unsigned drivers.

I get two unsigned drivers: aegisp.sys and hdaubus.sys.

I go into device manager and look for the device that relies on aegisp.sys because everytime I let verifier finish and then restart it blue screens with a 0x000000D1 error. I find it, and disable it, and then try going through verifier again and restarting. No blue screen, okay fantastic.

So I try to play counter-strike to see if this was the right solution; turns out it isn't. I still get a 0x000000B8 blue screen.

Now I've tried going to the ASUS website to download new drivers again, but I don't understand what I am supposed to download. The site is cluttered and when I do find M2N32-SLI (the name/model number of my motherboard) I don't know which one to download because there are so many different drivers. I've already updated the drivers for my graphics card.

As for that mysterious hdaudbus.sys driver, the description in verifier reads: high Definition Audio Bus Driver v1.0a

What do I do?

Basic on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Basic wrote: »
    Alright, necrobump.

After looking online for a while I found about Verifier (verifies drives) and decided to verify all unsigned drivers.

I go into device manager and look for the device that relies on aegisp.sys because everytime I let verifier finish and then restart it blue screens with a 0x000000D1 error. I find it, and disable it, and then try going through verifier again and restarting. No blue screen, okay fantastic.

So I try to play counter-strike to see if this was the right solution; turns out it isn't. I still get a 0x000000B8 blue screen.

Now I've tried going to the ASUS website to download new drivers again, but I don't understand what I am supposed to download. The site is cluttered and when I do find M2N32-SLI (the name/model number of my motherboard) I don't know which one to download because there are so many different drivers. I've already updated the drivers for my graphics card.

As for that mysterious hdaudbus.sys driver, the description in verifier reads: high Definition Audio Bus Driver v1.0a

What do I do?

go here

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

leave it on geforce.
    put it on 9 series
    select your operating system.

click download.

RESTART AFTER U INSTALL.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Alright, necrobump.

What do I do?

go here

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

leave it on geforce.
    put it on 9 series
    select your operating system.

click download.

RESTART AFTER U INSTALL.

Did not work.

Basic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    what did not work?

did it install all the way?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yes, it installed all the way.

But I still get that 0xB8 BSOD.

It says something about AegisP.sys

Basic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yes, it installed all the way.

But I still get that 0xB8 BSOD.

It says something about AegisP.sys

AegisP is a driver for your wireless connection.

try disabling your wireless connection or reinstalling the software for it.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I disabled it, now whenever I play I just get a plain 0xB8 BSOD. It doesn't specify what the cause is.

Basic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    at this point I would suggest you just back up and reformat.

if that doesn't work, get a new graphics card.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That is a problem.

I had an 8800 GTS 640MB before this, and red scan lines and similar blue screens plagued it.

So I reformatted but I still got red scan lines. So I got a new video card, the 9400GT, for cheap (but it was brand new, I knew someone who got it in a giveaway and was just trying to get rid of it), so I installed the new card and it's drivers after reformatting a second time. Same problem, except now I get to play 10 or 20 minutes before it blue screens. Reformatted a third time and now I am where I am now.

I've downloaded all the drivers I could each time, and the card is still very new. Maybe it's not the graphics card?

Basic on