As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Connecting a Linksys WRT54G2 to a routed DSL modem

StormwatcherStormwatcher BleghBlughRegistered User regular
So I switched to 2Mb capless DSL. I have a Linksys WRT45g2 wifi router I used with a cable modem.

I had DSL a long time ago, it was easy to use a router, just set to ppoe, enter the phone number as login and password, voila.

Thing is, the new DSL seems to be different. It doesn't work with PPoE, and when I plug the PC directly on the modem, it works without using a DSL dialer. I think the modem logs in on its own (I had to use a proprietary ISP software to enter the login and PW and configure the modem automactically).

So I think the modem is routed, and the router shouldn't work as a gateway.

Any ideas?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
camo_sig2.png
Stormwatcher on

• Options
    SkyeSkye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Most DSL modems nowadays use DHCP instead of PPPoE to connect to the ISP, which is why you can just connect the modem to your PC and it'll work. If you just connect the modem to the router, and set the router to DHCP (which is what many routers default to on factory settings) instead of PPPoE, everything should work out automatically.

Some modems do have routing functions, but those that do usually have the ability to turn that shit off so that your router can do that. In any case, just try plugging in your modem into your router if you haven't already.

Skye on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I tried DHCP with the Router at not-gateway mode.
    will try on default mode.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nope, No worky. Crap.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nope, No worky. Crap.

Hmm, can you define not working? Are you (your computer) unable to connect to websites? Is your router unable to obtain an IP?

Which ISP do you have? What brand+model is your modem? Are all of the lights on when you plug it into your router? (minus the activity light, of course)

Skye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i can't open any websites, the router seems to be unable to obtain an IP, my ISP is Velox, in Brazil, and my modem is a piece of crap Thomson (i think it's a local brand) TG508 they gave me for free, all 4 lights in the modem are on, green and solid: power, ethernet, DSL and Internet.

Hope it helps :)

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hummm. Both the router and the modem are set to the local ip 192.168.1.1

could this be the problem?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's certain a problem, but probably not the problem. Just change the router's IP address to 192.168.1.2 or something (as long as both devices are in the same subnet of 192.168.1.xx.
    Ok, try the following (Taken from here, which is not exactly the wrt54g2, but pretty close).

Go to your router's web interface.
    Go to the "Setup" tab.
    Set your "Internet Connection Type" to DHCP.
    Set "DHCP Server" to disable.
    Save Settings, restart.

Plug the cable going from your modem to the router into a lan port (i.e. not the WAN/Uplink port, but the ports where you'd plug in other computers). Cross your fingers, and hopefully it'll work (this step is probably the culprit).

I'm not sure if you have to be in "gateway" mode or "router" mode, so try both and find out what works.

edit: oh and it might help to reboot your computer after all of these steps so that your modem gives your computer an IP (or you can just do ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew in command prompt if you're running windows).

Skye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have the main PC on static IP, for port forwarding.
    It's working now, except my PSP cannot get an IP anymore. It can see the network and log on to the router, but not get an IP.

I tried turning the router's DHCP on, and it still didn't work.

Router is now on a different local IP in relation to the modem, and the modem is plugged into a regular LAN port. If I plug it back to the WAN port, the internet stops working again.

Thanks for all the help so far!

EDIT: Pluggin a notebook with an ethernet cable works, trying to connect the same notebook via Wi-Fi doesn't work. Gah.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you're using Verizon or similar ISP. I had to set my DSL modem to "Bridge" mode within the modem's configuration file, and then set my router to standard DHCP. I've done this like twice, but calling your ISP should make this a breeze. The modems IP is xxx.xxx.1.1 and you have to work the administration of it just like you do your router. Once it's set to bridge mode, you set the PPPoE set up in your router and it correctly passes the signal.

If you're not on Verizon or similar, I'd call your ISP anyway, surely they can help.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wait, so your PSP can access the router's web GUI but not the rest of the internet? Maybe you can try manually setting your DNS in your router and/or devices (I'd recommend OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222; 208.67.220.220).

Did you configure your wired laptop connection to have a static ip too? If so, then maybe your modem is just not handing out (internal) ip addresses.

What options can you configure in your modem? (Take a screenshot or something). There's not a lot of documentation out there for your model, so I couldn't find much. Ideally, I prefer having the router having DHCP on, and the modem having DHCP off. See if you can do that anywhere.

UncleChet does bring up a good point: contacting your ISP might be the fastest way to solve your problem. Of course, they could be totally incompetent too so...

Skye on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    UncleChet wrote: »
    If you're using Verizon or similar ISP. I had to set my DSL modem to "Bridge" mode within the modem's configuration file, and then set my router to standard DHCP. I've done this like twice, but calling your ISP should make this a breeze. The modems IP is xxx.xxx.1.1 and you have to work the administration of it just like you do your router. Once it's set to bridge mode, you set the PPPoE set up in your router and it correctly passes the signal.

If you're not on Verizon or similar, I'd call your ISP anyway, surely they can help.

This so goddamn hard. Get the modem into bridged or "dumb" mode and let something that doesn't suck handle routing/DNS/DHCP/etc.

Speaking of which make sure you're running a 3rd-party firmware on that WRT54G, be it Tomato, DD-WRT, HyperWRT, OpenWRT, or something. Stock Linksys firmware is shit.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ARGH I made a big post but forum ate it.
    i'll write again later I'm almost dead of tiredness from moving to a new place.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png