As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

M4A to WMA file type converter?

WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insidesLet me show you themRegistered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi, I need a program that will convert M4A audio files to WMA audio files. I'm using it to change my Itunes music so it can be used on another mp3 player (Zen Vision: M). Also, can these be found for free?

WhiteZinfandel on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Burn them to an audio CD and then rip the CD back to MP3. That's the only method (that I know of) that works for sure.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Are you kidding me? I have a gigantic Itunes library. Is there no other way? I really know nothing about audio filetypes, by the way.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just want to clarify something: these are files that were originally purchased in the iTunes Music Store, yes? Not files that you ripped from CD?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    They're files that I ripped from a cd.

I have a feeling that the solution is going to be incredibly simple now that I have said that, and I am going to look very silly.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    They're files that I ripped from a cd.

My apologizes. My comment above is only applicable to files purchased from ITMS.

There are a ton of software programs that can do M4A-MP3 conversions. For WAV-to-MP3 I use BonkEnc and I like it a lot; I've never used it's M4A-to-MP3 functionality but I'll recommend trying it anyway. You can find it at www.sourceforge.net.

Edit: I don't know if BonkEnc will preserve metatags (artist, title, etc) for M4A. Look into that first. There's also another program on sourceforge called icaff that might work.

Feral on

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    BonkEnc can be found here.

And icaff here.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Alright, looks like a good program. Thing is, I have no idea how to use it. Is there a manual somewhere for it? I looked around the site but couldn't find anything that just goes over the basics of how to use it.

WhiteZinfandel on