As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS!I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Graphic Violence
I recently bought this with some of my christmas cash, and I have to say, I don't know if I'll ever want to watch the original version again. All the scenes with Marlon Brando are worth the price of purchase alone, and the acting somehow improved a little.

Does anybody else own or have seen this movie? If so, what do you think of it?

Edit: I couldn't find any clips, but heres a fan review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJTKJ4W8-E

Niceguyeddie616 on

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It sucks.

Balls.

Hensler on
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Have you seen it? How does it suck?

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    nah dude that's just hensler.

Sars_Boy on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    it's ok. I would say as an overall movie the Lester Cut is better, but if Donner had been allowed to end Superman 1 the way he had wanted and been able to film everything he wanted for Superman 2, then his vision would have been better.

A month or so ago I bought the huge ass Ultimate Collector's Edition of the superman movies. 14 Discs of awesomeness. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes superman, some of the documentaries are fantastic.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    I like Superman but do not like the movies.

Garlic Bread on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I like Superman but do not like the movies.

Way to suck Keith.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • OolongOolong Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I need to watch the original cut again to make certain, as my memories were playing tricks with me, but I finished the Donner cut feeling like it was inferior to the original version. I think the ending alone is probably going to keep me from changing my mind, but I haven't watched Superman 2 in a while, so I'm going to check it out again soon.

[spoiler:d2131d0aec]The movie ends exactly the same way as the first one does, with Superman doing the Magic Spin-Around-The-World-To-Selectively-Change-Time trick. It was lame but sorta charming in the first movie. It's unacceptable two films in a row.[/spoiler:d2131d0aec]

Oolong on
  • SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oolong wrote:
    I need to watch the original cut again to make certain, as my memories were playing tricks with me, but I finished the Donner cut feeling like it was inferior to the original version. I think the ending alone is probably going to keep me from changing my mind, but I haven't watched Superman 2 in a while, so I'm going to check it out again soon.

[spoiler:6d6443086a]The movie ends exactly the same way as the first one does, with Superman doing the Magic Spin-Around-The-World-To-Selectively-Change-Time trick. It was lame but sorta charming in the first movie. It's unacceptable two films in a row.[/spoiler:6d6443086a]
    It wasn't supposed to be in the first movie. Donner had a different ending in mind.

Saph on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Donner Cut is far better than the original. Magical kiss? No thanks.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Have you seen it? How does it suck?

The Brando stuff is pointless rehash, as is almost everything that's added. Almost everything new in this cut is stuff from the first movie - the Lester cut is just a lot more fun to watch and continues the story better overall.

Hensler on
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jor-el taking away Superman's powers and giving them back makes a whole lot more sense, they just cut Brando out of the film because they wanted to save money, which is stupid when you have a really big star like Brando. And I like how they made the villians darker instead of turning them into a joke like they did in the Lester cut. Also, II was originally supposed to have the time travel ending,

[spoiler:805c4b7cfe] Superman I was supposed to end on a cliffhanger, the beginning of the Donner Cut was pretty much how the first movie was originally supposed to end. [/spoiler:805c4b7cfe]

Another thing that makes the Lester cut look so bad was that compared to the Williams score, the replacement score sounded like a high school marching band.

Niceguyeddie616 on