As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Galaxy Express 999 for a film paper?

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I really like this series and I really want to do my paper on it. Is this thesis statement acceptable for? Am I going to run into huge brick walls trying to dig up information as the creator is Japanese.. I really don't want to regret picking something Japanese because I can't find information.

Here is my Statement.
Galaxy Express 999 is a collection of comic books turned into a series of animations which were later narrowed down to a movie. These collections went on to start the modern animation boom in Japan.

For people who are not sure who I am talking about here is a trailer to Galaxy Express and the second link is to the animation he did for Daft Punk Interstella 5555

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQr-fnhGUes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ5XOwiryv0

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

Posts

  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't want you guys to think I am trying to get your to do my paper. So you can just say Yes, it would be hard to do or No, it would be a great movie to do a paper on.

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's pretty simple really... do you have enough information to prove your thesis? If not then yes, it will be too difficult. On the other hand, it might be worth the effort to do such an esoteric movie for your project. Frankly, I've never heard of any of this stuff, but it really doesn't matter... you have to be able to prove your thesis (and by prove, I mean support with evidence.) Saying this movie essentially started the modern Japanese Animation industry is pretty sweeping... you'd better be able to support it.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Without knowing what type of paper you are writing there is no way to judge your thesis. Is this persuasive, informative, argumentative? In addition, a thesis statement should be one sentence, not two.

    Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have you also seen the TV series?

    Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thesis statement is bad; it's unclear what the "these collections" in the second sentence refers to.

    Also, matsumoto is certainly influencial, but I think you're stretching a bit if you're arguing 999 was responsible for the entire animation boom - and I'm not sure which boom you're talking about, because the industry has gone through several boom/bust cycles. When does "modern" start?

    baudattitude on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really shouldn't do this, but I've been drinking...

    To preface my comments, you should know that I'm a professor of English at a community college. Here are a few notes about your thesis statement you may find helpful:

    1) Your thesis is incredibly vague and expansive. You're essentially setting yourself up to write a book since you make no attempt to discuss specifics or actually nail down what, specifically, your paper is about. Are you providing a historical overview of the series and how it has influenced Japanese animation? If so, great, but you need to clearly state that this is your purpose and what you're attempting to prove.

    2) It's somewhat unclear whether you're actually focusing on the manga or the animation, which is something that should be explicitly noted in your thesis. Are you discussing both? Are you talking about how the manga was influential in creating the animation which in turn influenced animation in general?

    3) There are a lot of directions you could go with this paper, but your thesis should only set you up to go in one direction. It should be crystal clear what you're going to discuss, why, and what your discussion is attempting to prove.

    I'm happy to review further rewrites if you want to PM me and ask my opinion.

    LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    You are right it is too vague as I have a lack of understanding of the assignment. I asked about it yesterday and was told to review the assignment. Let me look at it again.

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I think I might change the movie to Soylent Green or A Boy and His Dog.. I am having A very hard time finding anything on this great movie.

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Have you also seen the TV series?

    I am 60 episodes into with about another 60 to go. Not many people seem to like Galaxy Express but to me its what Anime is all about.

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At this point, knowing what your paper is supposed to be about might be helpful.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, at this point you've just given us a list of movies. Your thesis is supposed to answer the question your paper is asking, and we don't know what question the paper is asking.

    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah I am going to add on to what most others have said and say your thesis is incredibly vague. You are basically stating that it is a movie that was also a ___ and a ____. You are barely arguing or defining anything, and could just write forever about anything. It definitely needs to be narrowed down and yes, looking at what the paper needs to be about might be a good idea.

    Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    Yeah I am going to add on to what most others have said and say your thesis is incredibly vague. You are basically stating that it is a movie that was also a ___ and a ____. You are barely arguing or defining anything, and could just write forever about anything. It definitely needs to be narrowed down and yes, looking at what the paper needs to be about might be a good idea.

    What about this.. I am going to try a bit easier movie.

    The movie Ghostbusters is a great eighties movie about a group of scientist who catch ghosts with their proton packs(Ghost catching Devices). The movie has held up great against time and can be watched over and over to this day with much satisfaction.

    Wouldn't my argument be that Ghostbusters still is a great looking movie? Then i could go onto argue why the movie has withstood the tests of time?

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Three people asked what the paper is about and you didn't answer so I'm guessing the paper is just about whatever you want to write about. With that in mind, your Ghostbusters thesis isn't really going to work, because it's just a bunch of claims about taste. You cannot prove that something has stood the test of time and is still fun to watch even today because those are just matters of taste. If you really wanted to stretch it you could make a bunch of technical points about the special effects, but I think that's not exactly what you're going for.

    The thesis needs to be an argument, not a taste judgment that nobody can prove or disprove. Your first thesis, despite being a hugely vast topic that is better suited for a book, was an argument, so that's good. "Ghostbusters is still great, dudes!" isn't an argument.

    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Three people asked what the paper is about and you didn't answer so I'm guessing the paper is just about whatever you want to write about. With that in mind, your Ghostbusters thesis isn't really going to work, because it's just a bunch of claims about taste. You cannot prove that something has stood the test of time and is still fun to watch even today because those are just matters of taste. If you really wanted to stretch it you could make a bunch of technical points about the special effects, but I think that's not exactly what you're going for.

    The thesis needs to be an argument, not a taste judgment that nobody can prove or disprove. Your first thesis, despite being a hugely vast topic that is better suited for a book, was an argument, so that's good. "Ghostbusters is still great, dudes!" isn't an argument.

    find the opinions of three reputable critics. Follow these guidelines in writing the essay.

    * Identify the film and its major stars (underline or italicize film titles).

    Formulate a THESIS statement in which you summarize the critical opinions (positive? negative? mixed?) and to which you append your own opinion to the film.

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, so you need to take a stance on some movie issue which already has some relevant literature. Unless you can find other critics arguing about whether or not Ghostbusters still holds up, for instance, the Ghostbusters topic would be a bad idea because there would be no critical opinions to summarize. For your paper, you'll want to look for films that have stuff written about them.

    As an aside, that prompt is bad; you're not appending your opinion TO the film, you're appending your opinion ON or OF the film.

    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok so it would be a better idea to pick Soylent green because it got a 7 out of 10 where some people didn't like the movie

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can't really make an argument about "liking" or "disliking" a movie. You're looking for critical opinions, of the sort that I imagine you've read for the class you're trying to write a paper for. The paper you will write is basically a summary of everyone else's papers, plus your own view on the issue.

    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since you're in school, I'm going to guess you have access to searchable databases, correct? In particular, you want to check out Lexis Nexis and JSTOR, which should both help you find critical summaries and reviews of the works you're looking at. To make the assignment far, far more interesting, you should find a cross section of reviews that do not all express the same opinion and use three reviews that discuss similar aspects of the film in different ways.

    Do your research before you formulate a thesis. Do not come to a conclusion before you know what you are talking about.

    LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Since you're in school, I'm going to guess you have access to searchable databases, correct? In particular, you want to check out Lexis Nexis and JSTOR, which should both help you find critical summaries and reviews of the works you're looking at. To make the assignment far, far more interesting, you should find a cross section of reviews that do not all express the same opinion and use three reviews that discuss similar aspects of the film in different ways.

    Do your research before you formulate a thesis. Do not come to a conclusion before you know what you are talking about.

    I have no access to the database. :(

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Since you're in school, I'm going to guess you have access to searchable databases, correct? In particular, you want to check out Lexis Nexis and JSTOR, which should both help you find critical summaries and reviews of the works you're looking at. To make the assignment far, far more interesting, you should find a cross section of reviews that do not all express the same opinion and use three reviews that discuss similar aspects of the film in different ways.

    Do your research before you formulate a thesis. Do not come to a conclusion before you know what you are talking about.

    I have no access to the database. :(

    Make good friends with google. Do you have to cite academic articles, or can you cite critics like Ebert?

    LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you sure you don't have access to the database? Did you try? It seems weird that they would make you write a paper where the topic is "review the critical opinions" without giving you the ability to read the critical opinions. scholar.google.com is always a good first stop, though, if you really truly can't access JSTOR or whatever for some reason.

    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you sure you don't have access to the database? Did you try? It seems weird that they would make you write a paper where the topic is "review the critical opinions" without giving you the ability to read the critical opinions. scholar.google.com is always a good first stop, though, if you really truly can't access JSTOR or whatever for some reason.

    You don't get automatic access just from a student ID. You have to go somewhere to sign up and this school doesn't even tell you where. My last school I could register for an account online.

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't have access to the database? Did you try? It seems weird that they would make you write a paper where the topic is "review the critical opinions" without giving you the ability to read the critical opinions. scholar.google.com is always a good first stop, though, if you really truly can't access JSTOR or whatever for some reason.

    You don't get automatic access just from a student ID. You have to go somewhere to sign up and this school doesn't even tell you where. My last school I could register for an account online.

    You seriously can't just log in using your e-mail information somewhere on the library's website? I've never been to or taught at a college where this wasn't possible.

    LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't have access to the database? Did you try? It seems weird that they would make you write a paper where the topic is "review the critical opinions" without giving you the ability to read the critical opinions. scholar.google.com is always a good first stop, though, if you really truly can't access JSTOR or whatever for some reason.

    You don't get automatic access just from a student ID. You have to go somewhere to sign up and this school doesn't even tell you where. My last school I could register for an account online.

    You seriously can't just log in using your e-mail information somewhere on the library's website? I've never been to or taught at a college where this wasn't possible.

    Nope. It sucks but they do this to keep people who are not students out of the database but this school is really bad in the fact that the only way to gain access is to be on campus or sign up on campus somewhere.

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Reputable critics. That means Ebert is highly, highly reputable. As is A O Scott. You can find these on Metacritic -- look for people who have reviewed the film and, upon clicking through to their website or column, have many reviews across a spectrum of movies and are under a well-known publication. If they write for a big newspaper, perfect. If they write for their own blog on blogspot, no.

    This is a very straightforward paper assignment, but I understand why you're having trouble with this if you haven't written a variety of papers. This is not a book review (or, in this case, movie review). Your goal in this assignment is to critically analyze a film, using the opinions of three well-known critics to do, well, let's say three things:

    Point out areas of agreement (what's good about the film, what's bad)

    Analyze why the critics differ, and reasons why that would be (based on taste, the film, etc.)

    Use your own analysis of the film as a 4th review, explaining how you agree, where you disagree, and your own stance on the film.


    I'm pointing this out not because I think you're dense, by the way, but because I know plenty of people who are intelligent but are not sure how to approach writing a paper -- especially a somewhat professional academic paper.

    So, for Ghostbusters, you wouldn't say "This movie is a lot of fun, and has stood up to the test of time." That's not a thesis, that's your conclusion. The thesis is what you intend to prove in your paper. You could say "Critics are divided over the cinematic value of the film, with many pointing to the bad timing in releasing the film close to E.T. while providing a weaker message -- especially as a comedy. However, Smith, Barnes, and Goldstein, three prominent critics in the 1980s, all illustrate classic themes present in the film that show how the comedy and acting stands the test of time, giving way to the cult classic familiar to everyone."

    Now, I would suggest you DON'T use Ghostbusters because you will have a hard time finding good critics easily. Films that have been released in the last 10 years are all up on Metacritic, and typically link to full reviews which are far more useful to you. Furthermore, you don't want to find 3 reviews -- you want to find dozens. You want to read many, many more reviews than you're going to use for your paper, because I have the feeling you really aren't in a position academically to review cinema with a critical eye. For example, you say Ghostbusters is a great comedy film. Why? Because you find it funny? No, not gonna work. Why is it funny? What is it about the film that is entertaining? No one cares that they use proton packs (or worse, everyone knows that they use proton packs).

    So, your job is to find a film that has a lot of reviews and read those reviews. What are the critics talking about? Writing? Cinematography? Acting? Those are the important elements of a critical review. Yes, the overall feeling of the film is certainly important, but just because a film is a fun romp doesn't mean it's at all a good film.

    Note that your assignment says nothing about good movies. You could easily pick a terrible movie (and may have more fun with it).

    EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    FUUUCK metacritic does not work with ubuntu 9.10

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rotten Tomatoes is another site that links aggregators. Instead of a numeric rating, they give a "up/down" rating and pool people together. Since you don't care about scores for this paper, you can start at either site.

    EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Rotten Tomatoes is another site that links aggregators. Instead of a numeric rating, they give a "up/down" rating and pool people together. Since you don't care about scores for this paper, you can start at either site.

    I can't user that source or IMDB

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Then maybe you should go to your school and sign up for access to the scholarly databases that exist for this sort of thing. Enrolling in a university and then doing your best to avoid utilizing its resources when you need them is perhaps not the best use of your education. The assignment clearly calls for a survey of critical thought on a movie, and by far the best way to find this is to do the academic research the right way.

    Still, I will once again mention scholar.google.com.

    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Rotten Tomatoes is another site that links aggregators. Instead of a numeric rating, they give a "up/down" rating and pool people together. Since you don't care about scores for this paper, you can start at either site.

    I can't user that source or IMDB

    I'm relatively certain they want you to not use the site itself, but Rotten Tomatoes provides links to actual, reputable reviews.

    LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't have access to the database? Did you try? It seems weird that they would make you write a paper where the topic is "review the critical opinions" without giving you the ability to read the critical opinions. scholar.google.com is always a good first stop, though, if you really truly can't access JSTOR or whatever for some reason.

    You don't get automatic access just from a student ID. You have to go somewhere to sign up and this school doesn't even tell you where. My last school I could register for an account online.

    You seriously can't just log in using your e-mail information somewhere on the library's website? I've never been to or taught at a college where this wasn't possible.

    I wish..
    How do I become a registered borrower?
    Each college has its own methods of registering students, faculty, and staff as authorized library borrowers. Please contact your library to identify the procedures necessary to become a registered borrower.

    But the sites eggytoast started working on and off for me so I am good.

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.